• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In the event that PS5 Pro does release in 2024 but there is no new Xbox Series console because there is already Series S & X

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It's being reported that Sony started creation of the pro in the beginning of 2022 for a fall 2024 release so there's nothing stopping Microsoft from creating an elite model at the start of 2023 with a 2025 release date but if it can't release until 2026 then it wouldn't make sense to release it so late in the generation

Adding a third SKU would be horrible for Xbox GS dev pipeline. Which for me, seems the most persuasive reason for Sony to pursue a Pro model.

Its not something that I suspect MS would choose, so its a potential point of differentiation.

ProtoByte

Microsoft's put themselves in a very bad position with this, one way or another. With lagging hardware sales and a customer base that is less and less willing to buy games, the incentives for a 3rd spec SKU for Xbox this gen are small all around. Microsoft would have to juggle each SKU in terms of manufacturing, or decide which one gets chopped from the bundle; which, would complicate the already existing issue of support for this number of Xbox SKUs for third party ports that will not sell proportionately well, if well at all.

If they really didn't start this gen with plans of an Xbox Series XXL, they're not going to have the time or resources to come up with one now.

Adding a third SKU would be horrible for Xbox GS dev pipeline. Which for me, seems the most persuasive reason for Sony to pursue a Pro model.

Its not something that I suspect MS would choose, so its a potential point of differentiation.
Oh definitely literally nobody should be complaining that Sony is adding too much workload for devs I'm just putting out a scenario that could happen but yes a third sku could be challenging for devs

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
ytnhriF.jpg
Between this and this, I'm dead 🤣
lGiSrpe.png

Last edited:

wolffy66

I don't see the point. I'm not spending another $500 to $600 on a marginal upgrade that devs won't even take advantage of for another 2 years.

Just to then turn around and spend again 2 years after that on the next gen.

It screams "sucker" to me.

onQ123

Pro consoles are as niche as they can get, they barely sold units compared to base consoles.
But the thing is that Series X haven't really taking off so a PS5 Pro could actually catch up with it

I don't see the point. I'm not spending another $500 to $600 on a marginal upgrade that devs won't even take advantage of for another 2 years.

What about the people who haven't bought a PS5? if the Pro is $499 how can someone who paid $499 for the standard model call people who will be getting the Pro model for the same price suckers?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Be curious what the PS5 pro/slim will look like. Hope there not like PS5 is now lol.
IKR I refuse to get one because it's so ugly and obnoxious in how it uses space. They should come up with a better design for the next one, then I might be tempted to get it and delay my next PC build.

twilo99

Software isn't even optimized for Series S yet.
PS5 and Series X are just spinning their wheels most of the time. They're capable of a lot more than what developers have given us.

A PS5 Pro would be pointless.

Pointless from a consumer standpoint but from a business standpoint.. Sony will make a lot of money from a “pro” box

Codeblew

Not pointless. Gimmee, gimmee, gimmee.

Fredrik

Just thought of something big. Sorry if you’ve already talked about this.

Scenario:
PS5 Pro is released in 2024
No Xbox Series Pro, next console planned for 2027.

MS acquire Activision Blizzard.

MS has signed an agreenent to keep Call of Duty on Playstation…

Call of Duty will be by far the best on Playstation at least until next generation starts 3 years later.

🤔

Last edited:

onQ123

Just thought of something big. Sorry if you’ve already talked about this.

Scenario:
PS5 Pro is released in 2024
No Xbox Series Pro, next console planned for 2027.

MS acquire Activision Blizzard.

MS has signed an agreenent to keep Call of Duty on Playstation…

Call of Duty will be by far the best on Playstation at least until next generation starts 3 years later.

🤔

Even worse GTAVI is coming & to let PS5 Pro be on the market alone as the best console to play GTAVI is going to be crazy.

wolffy66

But the thing is that Series X haven't really taking off so a PS5 Pro could actually catch up with it

What about the people who haven't bought a PS5? if the Pro is $499 how can someone who paid $499 for the standard model call people who will be getting the Pro model for the same price suckers?
Fair enough but I don't think that's who they are aiming for market wise

Shubh_C63

We think Xbox with less hardware sales anyway would make another Xbox Pro to eventually sell even less, take more loss per unit just to keep up with the power narrative?

Probably.

draliko

This gen eventual pro consoles will be the reasons to decide if going back to pc gaming is worth for me or not. With pcs I get full forward compatibility and the option to brute force later games not patched or not optimized without the need for a Dev patch, with pro consoles the support is on the Dev instead, if isn't mandatory for games to have a pro mode i don't see the reason to change hardware for just a small percentage of titles that will get patched, if they want to hookup us on a 3 year he cycle the need to nail forward optimization or compatibility, otherwise keep the standard 7 year gen and be done with it.

Fredrik

Even worse GTAVI is coming & to let PS5 Pro be on the market alone as the best console to play GTAVI is going to be crazy.
Oh shi🫢

And they can’t really start next gen early either without going in between big AMD hardware generations. That’ll ruin that gen too when Sony can home out and say ”the real” next generation starts when PS6 comes out.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Oh shi🫢

And they can’t really start next gen early either without going in between big AMD hardware generations. That’ll ruin that gen too when Sony can home out and say ”the real” next generation starts when PS6 comes out.

I wonder if GTA VI launches day one on PC this time. I doubt they would want to turn down that online money...but we will see. GTA might end up being like Call of duty and PC being the biggest platform.

Fredrik

I wonder if GTA VI launches day one on PC this time. I doubt they would want to turn down that online money...but we will see. GTA might end up being like Call of duty and PC being the biggest platform.
Possibly. But it doesn’t really help Xbox much, PC is a different platform with different customers, console gamers going from console to PC to get a better version is a tiny fraction of the full console userbase.
MS needs a powerful $500-600 Pro console.

Fredrik

I'm actually more worried about the name of the new console
Where do we go after 360, one , one X , series s x
I think the plan was to do like Apple with their Apple Watch.
Xbox Series S and X
Xbox Series 2
Xbox Series 3
Xbox Series 4
Etc

King Dazzar

I know Phil's current statement/stance on this. But as always, they can change direction like the wind. And I feel Phil just states whatever suits him for the moment. I thought the X1X was a brilliant console at the time. Just speculating. But they could by 2025, migrate S & X into one SKU. A discless version of the X perhaps to help keep cost competitive and in line with the focus on digital GP. And then simply release an X Pro.

I'm more focused on the PS these days and personally I'm really looking forward to a PS5 Pro. But I struggle to believe MS wont respond to a PS5 Pro and dont have something. We'll see.

Last edited:

Hudo

Man, I wish that the PS5 Pro would get a pro version. Games are literally unplayable on PS5 Pro.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member

They probably have another refresh console though, but if they don't, it's ok, their strategy isn't to sell consoles and MS are very popular on PC anyway so they probably consider it their "pro" platform lol

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I suppose it makes sense from a Xbox point of view. if your really that bothered about framerates, graphical settings and resolution you can just get whatever PC you can want/afford.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Doubt it. Take2/R* love their year later double dippers and thirst.

And 70% of traditional CoD's userbase is on consoles, 42% of that being on PlayStation, 25% on Xbox.

Largest CoD IP is CoD Mobile.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Microsoft will likely follow suit. If the PS5 Pro outperforms the current systems like the One X and PS4 Pro did previously, it makes the SX look like shit. And then they have the even less powerful S next to it.

If the PS5 Pro releases at 499 next year, what value proposition does this give to the Series?

Adam_802

They'll probably both have a "pro" console eventually, but won't really matter. Both the neXtBox/PS6 will launch along side eachother next gen like always.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So on vacation and traveling around a lot in the mountains so no cell service so wont be able to reply for a few days but it seems likely Playstation will have the pro market to themselves for a couple of years at least but sounds like Xbox will drop the next gen Xbox 2 well before PS drops the PS6

Rayderism

MS needs to stop forcing devs to support the S. It's doing nothing but holding back this gen when forced to consider its weaknesses while creating new
games.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
So on vacation and traveling around a lot in the mountains so no cell service so wont be able to reply for a few days but it seems likely Playstation will have the pro market to themselves for a couple of years at least but sounds like Xbox will drop the next gen Xbox 2 well before PS drops the PS6
Interesting.

Xbox may gain a 1-2 year headstart this way, but this will be even more damaging to them when the PS6 launches with significantly newer tech and better performance and immediately outdates Xbox XxX.

I think sticking with the PS6 timeline will make the most sense for Xbox. They will also ride the "next-gen wave" hype that comes with the announcement of a new PlayStation. I don't think people will be that interested in "new-gen consoles" if it is just Xbox doing it. Half the world wouldn't even care or consider it a next-gen console.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member

How is this not the most bone-headed move? So a 6 year console generation in which you've done jack shit for 50% of it's duration? Series X owners are going to be pissed.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I figured this would happen.
Interesting.

Xbox may gain a 1-2 year headstart this way, but this will be even more damaging to them when the PS6 launches with significantly newer tech and better performance and immediately outdates Xbox XxX.

I think sticking with the PS6 timeline will make the most sense for Xbox. They will also ride the "next-gen wave" hype that comes with the announcement of a new PlayStation. I don't think people will be that interested in "new-gen consoles" if it is just Xbox doing it. Half the world wouldn't even care or consider it a next-gen console.
How is this not the most bone-headed move? So a 6 year console generation in which you've done jack shit for 50% of it's duration? Series X owners are going to be pissed.
Just what he felt was Xbox does not want to compete head to head anymore and wants that very 1-2 year window of having the shiny new toy on the market

But then again maybe the PS5 Pro did catch them off guard, I don't really have an answer as this just came through via a discord PM and not actual conversation and wont be able to catch up with them for awhile

Topher

Gold Member
Just what he felt was Xbox does not want to compete head to head anymore and wants that very 1-2 year window of having the shiny new toy on the market

But then again maybe the PS5 Pro did catch them off guard, I don't really have an answer as this just came through via a discord PM and not actual conversation and wont be able to catch up with them for awhile

Thanks for passing it along.

There is gonna be ps5 pro, Wether it’s gonna come in 24 or 25 is the question. How is Xbox gonna respond, don’t know, their whole hardware strategy is a complete mess, that Sony is going exploit, even if they make no profit from ps5 pro.

ChiefDada

Gold Member

Really appreciate dropping the inside scoop as always. Enjoy your vacation! iirc you have property out in Jupiter, FL. I have a client with property out there as well so I can only imagine the paradise your rich ass is in right now lol! Be safe!

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Really appreciate dropping the inside scoop as always. Enjoy your vacation! iirc you have property out in Jupiter, FL. I have a client with property out there as well so I can only imagine the paradise your rich ass is in right now lol! Be safe!
Thank you just getting some traveling in visiting some friends in the Maggie Valley NC area and out to eat currently have some cell service.

Good memory yeah actual home is in Jupiter FL in the Inlet Colony area just a few home down from the Inlet Beach Club on the beach side

SomeGit

I doubt that strategy would work, in the 360 days sure, but cross gen period is getting longer and longer so the impact of a shiny next gen console isn’t as bright.

onQ123

PS5 Pro 2024 , Xbox Next 2026 , PS6 2028 ?

Smart move because they can't go head to head with Playstation

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
PS5 Pro 2024 , Xbox Next 2026 , PS6 2028 ?

Smart move because they can't go head to head with Playstation
It's a double-edged sword. And Xbox may be overestimating again how much mindshare they command.
  • Xbox users may be pissed if Xbox abandons the Series X|S in just 6 years, and if games start releasing exclusively on the next Xbox 2.
  • The new Xbox 2 buyers will be pissed if they only do cross-gen games to keep Xbox Series gamers happy.
  • Media may not give Xbox 2 any reasonable coverage.
  • 70% of the world, and 60% of the US, will not even care about the "next-gen console" because they are only interested in a PlayStation.
  • When PS6 launches, it will be significantly more powerful than X2.
So at best, X2 will be looking at slightly higher sales for a period of 12-24 months (which are usually marred by production and supply issues anyway). During the 3rd or 4th year (2028 and 2029) when the consoles sales actually hit their peaks, like PS5 is doing now, Xbox 2 will be competing against PS6.

I just don't see this strategy working at all.

ZehDon

Gold Member
It's a double-edged sword. And Xbox may be overestimating again how much mindshare they command.
  • Xbox users may be pissed if Xbox abandons the Series X|S in just 6 years, and if games start releasing exclusively on the next Xbox 2.
  • The new Xbox 2 buyers will be pissed if they only do cross-gen games to keep Xbox Series gamers happy.
  • Media may not give Xbox 2 any reasonable coverage.
  • 70% of the world, and 60% of the US, will not even care about the "next-gen console" because they are only interested in a PlayStation.
  • When PS6 launches, it will be significantly more powerful than X2.
So at best, X2 will be looking at slightly higher sales for a period of 12-24 months (which are usually marred by production and supply issues anyway). During the 3rd or 4th year (2028 and 2029) when the consoles sales actually hit their peaks, like PS5 is doing now, Xbox 2 will be competing against PS6.

I just don't see this strategy working at all.
Your first two items aren't really much to be concerned about given Series X|S and PS5 owners bought in despite having had two years of cross-gen, the third is non-sense, and the fourth is self-evident fanboyism.

Your last dot point is worth talking about, however. If Microsoft is indeed skipping a Pro model in favour of a shorter overall console life cycle, then they're likely pushing for a continuous improvement-esque cycle, like a protracted smart phone. Their work with things like smart delivery and backwards compatibly should make those kinds of transitions seamless for us - the gamer - but also less impactful. However, the PS5 and the XSX have shown that the days of next-gen bringing immediate massive jumps are over - it now takes literally years for the hardware to be properly tapped - so there's potentially some intelligence to this approach. What benefit do you see of longer hardware cycles, like the PS5 -> PS6, versus more regular hardware releases like this approach? If a PS5 Pro is welcome, would an X2 not also be welcome if it plays every Xbox game currently available, only better, as well some exclusive X2 games further down the line? What are some of the positives you can see with this approach?

Poltz

People need to remember this is not the PS3/ Xbox 360 gen anymore. Both companies use the same supplier AMD for their APU. Trying to go early to force a new gen just lets you get smoked in the power department and hardware features.

Last edited:
Top Bottom