• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In the Heart of the Sea - Trailer - Starring Chris Hemsworth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busty

Banned
For an early teaser trailer it worked even if it didn't 'flow' right.

I'm in.

Also it's interesting that WB are releasing this in March. That's traditionally when they've done well with films like 300 and Clash Of The Titans. I wonder if they will try and sell this film the same way?

That's a heavy-handed tedious, boring trailer. I hope that's not indicative of the movie. It looks almost like they were going for a Ten Comandments/Noah religious kind of feel. Almost as if they are saying "if you believe this, you'll believe anything".
I like Ron Howard in general, but this should have been Rush on a boat.

Jimothy

That trailer didn't feel like the book at all. I pictured a more There Will Be Blood-esque aesthetic and this looks like over produced crap. I'm not optimistic about Howard portraying the brutality of whaling either which is a shame, cuz holy shit was it absolutely barbaric.

That trailer didn't feel like the book at all. I pictured a more There Will Be Blood-esque aesthetic and this looks like over produced crap. I'm not optimistic about Howard portraying the brutality of whaling either which is a shame, cuz holy shit was it absolutely barbaric.

Eh? Watching this trailer gave me proper TWBB vibes.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I was kind of with it until the big action kicked in. The CGI got pretty rough and the whole thing seemed to get overblown and ridiculous.

I was kind of with it until the big action kicked in. The CGI got pretty rough and the whole thing seemed to get overblown and ridiculous.
That's just the thing. From what I've read (and we're talking about a lot) the amount of action and the effects were perfect to me. Exactly as crazy as it is supposed to be and not much more. That movie poster is the only thing that's off - and it is way off, but those things aren't supposed to be literal interpretations of the movie. I still don't think they needed to embellish the Essex whale.

I haven't done a scale measurement, but the Essex whale was estimated to be 80-85 feet long. The whaleboats were about 25 feet. So the whale depicted in the poster is roughly more than twice the size it should be. Maybe more like 3x.

This was the Titanic sinking of the day. This was talked about and referred to for 50-75 years later. This whale was a real motherfucker.
Bad day. Unheard of event. It changed the industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom