• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paramount officially announces Star Trek "4" starring Chris Pine & Chris Hemsworth

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Hollywood still trying to make Chris Hemsworth happen. How many bombs must this man headline before they realize he's not happening?

Hemsworth has been mostly in ensemble movies and this will be another ensemble movie like the other ST films. You're acting like they're banking on him or something.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
This is more to do with Paramount's current situation (corporate infighting, low input and losses) than anything else.

Trek is not a very profitable franchise for the studio. It doesn't shift merch and is soft overseas.

Now that their Turtles franchise has tanked they need something positive to announce.

It is almost certainly not a coincidence that this statement is released the same day as Netflix's Trek deal is announced.

Thank god for Transformers & Mission Impossible.

But yeah, Paramount is a mess since their output deal with Dreamworks & Marvel expired.

Brace yourselves for Paramount's next cinematic masterpiece:
Ben-Hur

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Oh good, another "Kirk has daddy issues" plotline. Can we come up with a new character arc for him after four fucking movies yet? There's so much to explore in a new reset timeline of Trek and they have done nothing with it.

Wtf even laymans know who Picard is. Sir Ben fucking Kingsley get called Picard for having a bald head.

I bet if you asks scrubs on the street who jean luc picard is, they will say something to do with Star Trek.

Chris hemsworth was in a movie called cash, opposite Sean bean. Great movie that made a lot of money.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca

jett

D-Member
Hemsworth has been mostly in ensemble movies and this will be another ensemble movie like the other ST films. You're acting like they're banking on him or something.

What other purpose could there be to bring a character that had three minutes of screen time seven years ago? Only because of Hemsworth's alleged popularity.

Huntsman
In the Heart of The Sea
Blackhat
Red Dawn

Call them ensemble movies if you want. They all starred him. All bombs. Rush was probably somewhat of a box office disappointment, but it was lucky to have a lower budget than these others. His best movie by far though.

To be honest I find the theme here to be a little questionable since one of the marketed points about Beyond was Kirk moving, well, beyond his father's shadow and legacy. Bringing him back to exploit the obvious drama there feels like it would almost negate the film that hasn't even released yet.

That said, while we're on considering alternatives for how the hell Kirk Sr makes it to the present looking like he does, I propose...

The Borg.

Specifically, George is preserved by the Nerada's borg tech, and spent most of the timeskip of the first moving waiting while the ship was detained by the Klingons, possibly trying to contact the collective. He gives them partial knowledge of the future, and so the Borg of the alternate timeline turn up to try and nip the whole Federation problem in the bud a century ahead of schedule, with George at the head of the attack of course.

Hey if it worked for his son in the books...

Jotaka

what with this fetish of JJ Abrams about parent-child relationship these days...

Han Solo & Son
Rey & parents
Gorge Kirk & Son

This is more to do with Paramount's current situation (corporate infighting, low input and losses) than anything else.

Trek is not a very profitable franchise for the studio. It doesn't shift merch and is soft overseas.

Now that their Turtles franchise has tanked they need something positive to announce.

It is almost certainly not a coincidence that this statement is released the same day as Netflix's Trek deal is announced.

Pretty much. With that being said, trek can be bankable under the right situations. Even if one film bombs, it's not indicative of the next film bombing. Star Trek as a franchise is way more reliable than whatever else paramount has, so its modest returns are at least reliable.

More time travel shenanigans I guess.

And Hollywood still trying to make Chris Hemsworth happen. How many bombs must this man headline before they realize he's not happening?
You say that like that's a problem with Hemsworth. Movie stars don't sell movies at this time. It's been that way for a while. The biggest movie stars in the world can't open movies very reliably right now.

You say that like that's a problem with Hemsworth. Movie stars don't sell movies at this time. It's been that way for a while. The biggest movie stars in the world can't open movies very reliably right now.

Honestly can't think of any films that come out these days that has an actor that people would actually want to see a film for.

Back in the day people would watch the new tom cruise or julia roberts movie but nope that doesn't happen any more.

Kinyou

Not really something I asked for. I get why they brought Kirk and Picard together back then, but is this something that feels nessecary?

I guess it finally solves the daddy issues, but apparently also in the most literal way.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I have a feeling that Ragnarok will be the final Thor movie and appearance.

Was about to say lol

"It's no good captain! The enemy ship is destroying the Enterprise on all possible time lines at once!"

latest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom