• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paramount officially announces Star Trek "4" starring Chris Pine & Chris Hemsworth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebo

Banned
Aren't they the two writers that made such a haims of the first draft of Star Trek Beyond that Pegg had to take over in order to fix it and make a film at great speed in order to get it released in time for this summer? Am I misremembering something? They're giving the next film to them again, for some reason?
They wrote it with Roberto Orci (who was also set to direct). It was Orci's story. Orci was removed from the film. Likely Orci was the problem, not these 2 guys.

So either

A) Time travel shenanigans
B) Mirror Universe

Kinda hoping for option B

Voyager is trash compared to TOS, TNG, and DS9. Enterprise is better too.
The Mirror Universe should be completely unchanged. Unless the Mirror and Prime universes are somehow intertwined in a way not reveled before, the creation of the Abramsverse shouldn't have resulted in any changes to the Mirror Universe or to a new Mirror Universe. So it makes for a really interesting and confusing conundrum in how they'd use it.

Cheebo

Banned
At some point, you have to try and move on. Four movies all set in TOS is too much. Heck, I'd even love something completely original not based on any of the shows.

TOS is what, 1000000000000x more popular than the rest of Trek? Nobody knows or cares about DS9 except hardcore Trek fans for example. While everyone knows Kirk & Spock. To the mainstream public Kirk & Spock = Star Trek. It has been that way for decades. The TNG movies never outgrossed the highest grossing original TOS films.

Kirk is to Star Trek what Batman is to DC. The overwhelmingly most popular character and center of the franchise.

Randdalf

At some point, you have to try and move on. Four movies all set in TOS is too much. Heck, I'd even love something completely original not based on any of the shows.

Maybe they could do a film based on the new series, although I'm not certain what the rights situation is.

Schlorgan

I guess Kurtzman/Orci are no longer involved at all? Good, I guess. They should've been kicked to the curb after Into Darkness.

Sephzilla

Kirks are not Jedi

I don't understand the reasoning for this prodgoneony fahter-son thing.. he is just human, not Jedi

Trek has had a few father-son things as well, though. There's a story built around the relationship between Spock and his father. Kirk and his son as well.

The Mirror Universe should be completely unchanged. Unless the Mirror and Prime universes are somehow intertwined in a way not reveled before, the creation of the Abramsverse shouldn't have resulted in any changes to the Mirror Universe or to a new Mirror Universe. So it makes for a really interesting and confusing conundrum in how they'd use it.

Good point! The mirror universe wouldn't be effected by the Kelvin incident at all. Perhaps there's a third explanation as to why Kirk's dad is back...

q-who1.jpg

Although apparently there was a comic book series set in-universe that already had Q cross over

SDCowboy

TOS is what, 1000000000000x more popular than the rest of Trek? Nobody knows or cares about DS9 except hardcore Trek fans for example. While everyone knows Kirk & Spock. To the mainstream public Kirk & Spock = Star Trek. It has been that way for decades. The TNG movies never outgrossed the highest grossing original TOS films.

Kirk is to Star Trek what Batman is to DC. The overwhelmingly most popular character and center of the franchise.

Nope. TNG is by far and away the most popular. The TV series, which is what matters most, did about 100000000x better in ratings, and TNG pretty much dominates any most popular ST poll.

OmegaFax

So either

A) Time travel shenanigans
B) Mirror Universe

Kinda hoping for option B

Voyager is trash compared to TOS, TNG, and DS9. Enterprise is better too.

Somehow I feel they would simplify the concept so it's a mirror universe of the events that occurred in the Abramsverse Trek series and not a mirror universe from TOS, DS9, and ENT.

I think in an interview from Into Darkness, someone, can't remember who, swore up and down they'd be happy if they did a mirror universe film. Probably my imagination.

Cheebo

Banned
Nope. TNG is by far and away the most popular. The TV series, which is what matters most, did about 100000000x better in ratings, and TNG pretty much dominates any most popular ST pole.

There is nothing to back this up. You can't compare TOS first run numbers to TNG. TOS didn't take off till the 70's in reruns. TOS is vastly more popular. Film boxoffice comparisons back this up. As does pop culture awareness.

You think more people know who Picard is over Kirk? Not even close.

And polls? We are talking about the mainstream public here, not Trek fans. Everyone knows who Kirk and Spock are. Picard, Riker, or Data? Absolutely not.

Heartfyre

IIRC the first draft was too much Star Trek and the studio wanted a "Guardians of the Galaxy" type movie (look at the first trailer with the beastie boys song).

They wrote it with Roberto Orci (who was also set to direct). It was Orci's story. Orci was removed from the film. Likely Orci was the problem, not these 2 guys.

I guess I can give them the benefit of the doubt, then. I did forget about Orci's writing involvement.

Sephzilla

There is nothing to back this up. You can't compare TOS first run numbers to TNG. TOS didn't take off till the 70's. TOS is vastly more popular.

TNG ran for over twice as long as TOS and spawned two spinoff series as a result.

No Simon Pegg writing this one? Seems like he did a decent job with Beyond with not a lot of time.

Anyway I am in for time travel fuckery. Lets save those whales!

Cheebo

Banned
TNG ran for over twice as long as TOS and spawned two spinoff series as a result.
Which has nothing to do with which era/crew is more popular with the mainstream public at large. TOS was not a success till AFTER it ended. It became a pop culture phenomenon in the 70s.

if you think the average person on the street know Picard more than they know who Kirk is you are crazy.

SDCowboy

There is nothing to back this up. You can't compare TOS first run numbers to TNG. TOS didn't take off till the 70's in reruns. TOS is vastly more popular. Film boxoffice comparisons back this up. As does pop culture awareness.

And polls? We are talking about the mainstream public here, not Trek fans. Everyone knows who Kirk and Spock are. Picard, Riker, or Data? Absolutely not.

Right TNG is most popular with Star Trek fans. Who do you think sees these movies? Little Johnny who doesn't know Star Trek? This isn't Star Wars where almost everyone knows and cares about the franchise.

And regardless of which you think is most popular to the general public, the new movies wouldn't hurt to branch into something new.

Sephzilla

Which has nothing to do with which era/crew is more popular with the mainstream public at large. TOS was not a success till AFTER it ended. It became a pop culture phenomenon in the 70s.

if you think the average person on the street know Picard more than they know who Kirk is you are crazy.

I think you are vastly underestimating the popularity of Picard (and Patrick Stewart). TNG was huge in the 80s and 90s

Cheebo

Banned
Right TNG is most popular with Star Trek fans. Who do you think sees these movies? Little Johnny who doesn't know Star Trek? This isn't Star Wars where almost everyone knows and cares about the franchise.

And regardless of which you think is most popular to the general public, the new movies wouldn't hurt to branch into something new.

If you think it is Star Trek fans making these last two movies do 400 million worldwide? Really? There is nowhere near that many Trek fans.

You know what kind of numbers you get when only Star Trek fans go? Star Trek Nemesis numbers.

Sephzilla

If you think it is Star Trek fans making these last two movies do 400 million worldwide? Really? There is nowhere near that many Trek fans.

You know what kind of numbers you get when only Star Trek fans go? Star Trek Nemesis numbers.

Even Star Trek fans didn't really go out to see Nemesis. Insurrection sucked and Nemesis didn't look any better.

SDCowboy

So you don't think they should ever branch away for TOS? It should just be TOS forever?

Sephzilla

Cheebo I also think you might be crisscrossing the pop culture popularity of Captain Kirk with the pop culture popularity of William Shatner. In terms of pop culture popularity I'd actually argue that Spock is probably more relevant than the Kirk character.

Cheebo

Banned
So you don't think they should ever branch away for TOS? It should just be TOS forever?

No but a DS9 movie was mentioned as an alternative, which would be the worst idea possible from a financial standpoint. Nobody cares about DS9 except the very hardcore Star Trek fans (which make up like 5% max of the box office numbers these recent films do).

Pagusas

Elden Member
I really want a 4th badly, but Beyond is going to bomb so hard :( Its marketing has been off the charts terrible. Just very very very badly mishandled.

Sephzilla

I really want a 4th badly, but Beyond is going to bomb so hard :( Its marketing has been off the charts terrible. Just very very very badly mishandled.

Ghostbusters underwhelming at the box office makes me worried about Beyond as well considering both movies were marketed awfully.

Jesus Christ they'll never stop milking the dead father plot line. It's like Kirk is Batman in these films, it's his only relevant character trait.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Time travel, ugh.

Literally A whole universe worth of stories to tell, and we're going with time travel and Kirk meeting his father.
Not necessarily. Could be an alien entity that takes on or fabricates a likeness of Kirk's father. Could be an entity that pulled his father out of time, just before death. Could be Q, which could make for an overall very interesting story.

Blader

I've never seen a single full episode of Star Trek or any of the movies prior to the '09 reboot (and for that matter, still haven't!).

Walshicus

Hold on... Hold on... What if they use ST4(b) to retcon the Kelvin's destruction and restore the Prime Timeline for the new tv series?

I've never seen a single full episode of Star Trek or any of the movies prior to the '09 reboot (and for that matter, still haven't!).

Same, first intro to Star Trek was 09 and now I've seen most of the movies and I'm working my way through the show (Watched TNG, currently finishing DS9) I'm hooked though I'm excited they are going to continue with this cast. The Mirror universe idea sounds great, hope it's something like that so they don't mess around with the timeline again and we end up with a 3rd timeline to follow.

Somehow I feel they would simplify the concept so it's a mirror universe of the events that occurred in the Abramsverse Trek series and not a mirror universe from TOS, DS9, and ENT.

I think in an interview from Into Darkness, someone, can't remember who, swore up and down they'd be happy if they did a mirror universe film. Probably my imagination.
I think that would be a cop-out. Having it be the same Mirror Universe would require some creative writing to avoid messing with the Prime Universe timeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom