• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inafune: Mighty No. 9 amiibo, Mighty No. 9 potential, Red Ash KS failure, etc

miku

RFJx8ZV.jpg

Article/Interview by USgamer

MN9 amiibo:
That’s definitely an option for us, and if we have the opportunity to do it, then we’ll definitely take the chance. And also, we know for a fact a lot of our backers are Nintendo fans, because we ran a platform survey [for Mighty No. 9], and we see how many people are choosing Nintendo hardware. So it's definitely something we have to look into.

MN9 potential:
So rather than just making a game, per se, we definitely want to make a franchise in that sense. Mighty No. 9, I think, has the potential to become something bigger and wider for the audiences, not just for the game audiences, but also for films or animation. We already have announced two [side] projects for Mighty No. 9. As for what’s coming up next, we’ll still keep this thinking process going. And [that's our approach] with every project—we’ll start thinking about the animation and other media at the same time as we plan the game.

On Red Ash:
There’s the Red Ash project, even though the Kickstarter was a failure. But we did get the company Fuse to back us up with the project, at least to a certain point. So we are talking with Fuse and within ourselves, “How can we evolve this project to our end goal?”

On publishing:
If our company was a bit bigger and had more of the human resource to work on this project, self-publishing could be the way to go. But because of the potential we see in this game, it was much, much bigger than we originally thought, so we decided to make this property something bigger than we originally thought. That’s why we talked with Deep Silver with the publishing deal. There’s good and bad to it. The good is that we have so many people helping us, team members supporting us—but that’s also the reason we have to focus on the business side, because there are so many people, so many parties involved at this game now.

EDIT:

USgamer

More on Red Ash:
The team was definitely frustrated and disappointed when they see that the campaign was not going to work out. But one thing I noticed about the Red Ash campaign, or rather about the team, is that up until the Kickstarter campaign started, the team really wanted to make the game—it was all about making Red Ash happen. But once the Kickstarter began, the goal became to make the Kickstarter a success. The goal sort of shifted toward that side. All the decisions then were based on the Kickstarter, not based on Red Ash. I think that's one of the big things—bad things—that happened to the team.

So I gathered the team members together, and I told them, "Doing a successful Kickstarter is important, but that's not our final goal. Our final goal is to make Red Ash happen, to make this game. So even if we fail at Kickstarter, that's totally fine; that's one option we'll explore. It if doesn't work, we'll go to the next option. We'll find something else."

This was still during the Kickstarter campaign—we started talking to publishers and we received several offers from outside once the Kickstarter started. That's when the conversation with Fuse started... it was about one week into the Kickstarter campaign. So we explored that side of it, and we were successfully able to get the deal made within that short time period. At that point, the team definitely gained its motivation back, and from there, their minds were set on making this game happen, not Kickstarter. Even though we did try to make the Kickstarter happen, but the main goal, the bigger goal behind the campaign, is to make Red Ash happen.

And just to make one thing clear, even though we don't have the full budget right now and we failed at the Kickstarter campaign, we haven't given up on Kickstarter yet. So right now, the backers' verdict was "no" to Red Ash, but once we have something more to show, something we're proud to show, we might come back to Kickstarter to see what people think at that time.

CompC

Is that a Mighty No. 9 amiibo, or amiibo functionality in the game?

Because I now want to use a Mega Man amiibo for something in Mighty No. 9

Deft Beck

Mighty No. 9 just feels like an artificial attempt to clone Mega Man as a franchise without doing any of the work that the original franchise did to earn its popularity.

Then there’s ReCore, which we announced at E3 this year. Because the reaction from fans was pretty good, the project actually has the potential to become a bigger one than what we had originally planned for, so that’s definitely an exciting project for us to look forward.

This excites me a lot

200.gif

Mighty No. 9 just feels like an artificial attempt to clone Mega Man as a franchise without doing any of the work that the original franchise did to earn its popularity.

Inafune is a creator. He can't just stop creating because he doesn't have the rights to MM.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Mighty No. 9 news 3 years ago

1044.gif

Mighty No. 9 news now

200.gif

I wouldn't mind if this hypothetical Amiibo gave Mega Man a costume in Smash.

mrmickfran

In other news: Mighty No. 9 has been delayed again in order to coincide with the amiibo release.

Please understand.

utena

Banned
Has it really been 3 years since MN9 went on Kickstarter?

Wow...time flies.

Didn't back it, Inafune doesn't do music or level design - the two most important things in Mega Man. Why in the world would an Inafune Mega Man clone be of comparable quality, when his name has nothing to do with the quality in those two key areas?

I never would've anticipated how much of a clusterfudge it would become though. Sheesh.

Might as well make an amiibo at this point. I mean - why not?

Jigorath

Banned
MN9 amiibo:

That’s definitely an option for us, and if we have the opportunity to do it, then we’ll definitely take the chance. And also, we know for a fact a lot of our backers are Nintendo fans, because we ran a platform survey [for Mighty No. 9], and we see how many people are choosing Nintendo hardware. So it's definitely something we have to look into.

Nintendo: *laughs*

Steroyd

Bloody hell at least get what you initially promised out the door before talking about Amiibo's, animes, spinoffs and crossovers etc. Holy crap, talk about putting the cart before the horse.

Vlitra

Banned
I hope this game is good. Otherwise this is going to be one of the most awkward failures in recent game history.

Yukinari

Every bit of news i hear about Inafune, and all the stuff surrounding MN9 make me upset.

Hes on my list of developers to not blindly throw money at anymore. Why did he even leave Capcom if he was just gonna make the same games but worse?

KarmaCow

It is amazing how quickly and thoroughly Inafune burned the good will he had. The stuff about MN9's potential is really putting the cart before the horse.

With the rumored large-scale revival of Mega Man coming soon, I have to wonder why Comcept is trying to push Mighty No. 9 so hard. If Mega Man does get revived, there's not going to be room for two of basically the same franchise coexisting. The main difference is that Mega Man has proven itself in the past, while Mighty No. 9 has only proven that it can raise a lot of crowdfunding money and not get its first product out the door in time. Trying to turn it into a movie and/or TV show seems really far-fetched since it's clear the target audience for the game was 20+ gamers who were around for Mega Man's prime. Why push something so hard when it's not even clear if kids will care for it?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Mighty Number 9 living in the shadow of Shovel Knight once again

Wish there were more insight on why the Red Ash KS failed (hint: there's a reason they didn't make more than two Mega Man Legends in the age of milking the Mega Man cow).

This excites me a lot

200.gif

Sounds kinda like a subtle indication of a delay to me (which we all saw coming since it was set for "spring" and we've seen nothing since the initial CGI teaser).

Not that I mind; it seems like a promising game, and since it's a new IP it's good that they give it the time it needs.

Sounds kinda like a subtle indication of a delay to me (which we all saw coming since it was set for "spring" and we've seen nothing since the initial CGI teaser).

Not that I mind; it seems like a promising game, and since it's a new IP it's good that they give it the time it needs.

Spring is mid-March to mid-June, I think it will more than likely be at E3 next year but last year MS didn't show Sunset Overdrive until May and it shipped in October, if they have something planned to get footage and info out there I don't see why it couldn't hit around that time frame they gave still, perhaps a month or two into Q3 unless the scope has changed dramatically

kubricks

He is on about the "potential" when the game itself isn't even fucking out yet. Film? Anime? WHAT?

"So rather than just making a game, per se, we definitely want to make a franchise in that sense."
Yeah, It's nice to want things.

Spring is mid-March to mid-June, I think it will more than likely be at E3 next year but last year MS didn't show Sunset Overdrive until May and it shipped in October, if they have something planned to get footage and info out there I don't see why it couldn't hit around that time frame they gave still, perhaps a month or two into Q3 unless the scope has changed dramatically

Oh, I think it'll be at E3 for sure.

I guess it's possible for it to hit Q3 or late Q2, I'm mostly just worried because we haven't seen much marketing and don't really know what the game itself is like.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Funded sep 2 2013
Release schedule feb 9 2016

So 2 years 5 months 1 week in between

fernoca

Considering the Wii U was the only one without a limited edition and a figure, unless Nintendo pays them there won't be any amiibo. :p

I don't want to be cynical, because one of my best friends is a huge Mega Man fan and is really excited about this, but I can't help but feel overall pessimistic about the project. I wouldn't have thought it would take 3 years to make a modern Mega Man game, and with all of the other stuff they are trying to do with the game and with Inafune working on other games, I sadly think this game will be a disappointment.

Remk

The interview was a good read and Inafune comes as an ambitious person, too ambitious maybe?

Hard to gauge what will happen without a single project out yet; it will be interesting to see how MN9 fares.

Look for part two of our interview, focusing on Red Ash and its failed Kickstarter, later this week.

Awww man, this I want to read right now :)

So rather than just making a game, per se, we definitely want to make a franchise in that sense. Mighty No. 9, I think, has the potential to become something bigger and wider for the audiences, not just for the game audiences, but also for films or animation. We already have announced two [side] projects for Mighty No. 9. As for what’s coming up next, we’ll still keep this thinking process going. And [that's our approach] with every project—we’ll start thinking about the animation and other media at the same time as we plan the game.

Talk about counting your chickens before they hatch. Seeing that every character in the demo was annoying as hell, I don't think expanding this franchise into other media is going to be a profitable venture.

Top Bottom