• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inazuma Eleven 3 |OT| Kids outside of Japan are a bigger challenge than aliens.

squall23

I really shouldn't have to say this, but no anime spoilers. If you believe it will further discussion, put it in spoiler tags.

ujgt.png
na9z.png

Genre: Super-dimensional Football RPG
Developer: Level 5
Publisher: Nintendo

PAL: September 27, 2013

It's time to challenge the world. The climax to Mark Evans's saga is held in a traditional World Cup style tournament known as the Football Frontier International. It is just straight up football. No aliens, no whacked out plot, just pure country vs country for global domination of the pitch. Taking place on Liocott Island, every team that advances through the preliminaries will have their own little version of their nation on the island.

34eo.png

New gameplay mechanics

Special Tactics:

These unique stratagems allow for an absolute play on the field. When used, the opponent has no choice but to watch as the other team flawlessly moves the ball deep into their own half or steals it. Each Special Tactic requires a set amount of TTP (Team Technical Points) to pull off.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07ZQH7-GVn4

Shoot Chains:

Essentially, when you make a character shoot at the goal, if another of your players is in the trajectory of the ball with a corresponding tech, they can kick the ball again giving it even more power.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElSL4xulLZ4

New and important characters

qc7b.jpg

Austin Hobbes

Newest and youngest member of the cast. His skill rivals even Axel Blaze and Shawn Frost. However, something is holding him back. Seriously, where was this kid during the 2nd game?

x2lk.jpg

Archer Hawkins

Coach Hillman's personal apprentice. An ex-deliquent with extremely high kicking power that can bend space itself.

Mark's harem

h1wq.jpg

As this is Mark's final game, it is now time for him to choose his girl. A lingering sub plot that's been festering since the 1st game now finally materializes as a third unknown girl enters the relationship.

Silvia Woods (centre)

The girl that's been with Mark since the resurrection of the Raimon Eleven Football Club. Passionate about football and passionate about Mark's stupid football-based personality.

Nelly Raimon (right)

Rich, spoiled heiress of the highly esteemed school, Raimon Jr. High. She originally never cared for Mark or football in general. It wasn't until she was dragged into being a club manager that she saw the greatness of the beautiful game. Beneath her spoiled, judgmental and culinary-inept appearance hides a certain genius.

Camellia Green (left)

Inazuma International's new amnesiac manager and adopted daughter of Inazuma International's coach, Percival Green. Supposedly, Mark knew her when they were young but even she doesn't know who she actually is.

Differences between each version

Lightning Bolt:

Paolo Bianchi - Extra story on Lightning Bolt version

Captain of the Italian team, Orpheus. Main rival and new friend of Mark Evans. Despite his great skill, he still feels pressured as captain due to the ex-captain, who is an even greater player than he is giving him the title of captain and leaving for a self-imposed sabbatical.

In Lightning Bolt, you can fight against
a team of angels

Bomb Blast:

Hector Helio - Extra Story on Bomb Blast version

Captain of Little Gigantes, national team of the fictional country Cotarl. Very little is known about him. All we know is that as a goalkeeper, very little gets past him.

In Bomb Blast, you can fight against
a team of demons

Videos:

Official trailer

IT'S PENGUIN TIME

emperor-penguin-no-2-o.gif

vareon

So the names of the non-Japan team members change? Because Inazuma Japan team members has English names while the other teams have...English names, too.

moozoom

I hate football in real life, but this game series tempts me since they started appearing in europe. The rpg progression and strategic gameplay looks like something I could enjoy...

Questions for the inazuma veterans : is this 3ds compilation a good entry point or should I buy one of the ds games instead ?

And are the matches in real time, or does the time stop to let you choose actions and super-moves?

squall23

I hate football in real life, but this game series tempts me since they started appearing in europe. The rpg progression and strategic gameplay looks like something I could enjoy...

Questions for the inazuma veterans : is this 3ds compilation a good entry point or should I buy one of the ds games instead ?

And are the matches in real time, or does the time stop to let you choose actions and super-moves?
Well, the 3DS compilation is only in Japanese. This game is actually IE3 from the 3DS compilation but as a standalone game. So if you do speak Japanese, by all means get the compilation. I would if I could.

And yes, time does stop for you to change strategies and choose techs.

Wiseblade

Downloading Lightning Bolt from the eShop this very moment. Am I going to suffer for not playing the second game though?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I hate the localized names - why didnt they stick to the japanese ones ? :-/

Conan-san

It begins. The true pain of region locked platforms has begun....):
I feel ya, brother. I mean SMT Soul Hackers was only just released. It's bonkers, stupid and dumb.

Besides that I'm pleasantly surprised IE got to finish it's first trillogy between the utter horse hash that plagued it's pr in the UK.

Stupid Disney XD and thier puny dramadies.

squall23

I feel ya, brother. I mean SMT Soul Hackers was only just released. It's bonkers, stupid and dumb.

Besides that I'm pleasantly surprised IE got to finish it's first trillogy between the utter horse hash that plagued it's pr in the UK.

Stupid Disney XD and thier puny dramadies.
I remember the UK dub is actually just the SE Asia dub and that was really bad.

Conan-san

I remember the UK dub is actually just the SE Asia dub and that was really bad.
Given it's copetitaiton is whatever bullshit Bayblade series is on, Bakugan and Pokemon, "Bad" is still "best", unfortuantely.

Also that SE dub is Canadian AFIK, same people who did Zoids CC.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I never did get around to importing the first couple Inazuma Eleven DS games from Europe. Still worth it? Best website for Euro imports? I've mainly imported Japanese titles.

Tizoc

Fuuuuuuu I really wanna get this but I don't know which ver. to get, is the only difference that there is only 1 different team and character in each version?

squall23

Fuuuuuuu I really wanna get this but I don't know which ver. to get, is the only difference that there is only 1 different team and character in each version?
Well, each version also has some non-essential characters you can recruit just like IE2, but like I said, non-essential.

GhaleonQ

Plot-wise, probably.

I wouldn't say gameplay-wise, though. Unfortunately, the evolution of the series slowed.

Still, awesome topic! I appreciate you bearing the torch for the series, especially since Level-5 hasn't slowed down on putting them out.

moozoom

Well, the 3DS compilation is only in Japanese. This game is actually IE3 from the 3DS compilation but as a standalone game. So if you do speak Japanese, by all means get the compilation. I would if I could.

Oh, bummer... I heard about the japanese compilation at the time and assumed they WOULD keep it whole when coming over europe. Sadly I can't read japanese, and story and menus seem to be important in these games.

This is a strange trend to separate compiled games when translating ( happened with one piece before ). They want to make more money, but end up in devalorizing the value of the games.

And yes, time does stop for you to change strategies and choose techs.

Cool, after all those years of FIFA hate, I wouldn't get caught playing a real time football game. Strategic-RPG-fantasy-football-with-Naruto-like-powers is removed enough from reality to keep my street cred.

Maybe I'll try one of the previous DS games, you can find them cheap in used game stores. The 3DS version is not really different on the graphic side, and I guess it'll even look better on a DS XL.

Thanks for the tips !

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I've already played the Bomb Blast version (review code), so if someone wants impressions, I'll try to reply to your questions

My general opinion: it's a pity that they localized only the two basic versions of the game, because this means that we'll probably miss Ogre; it's a pity to not have push hard on the 3ds transition bringing over the entire compilation too.

But it's good that they pushed the 3ds transition bringing over this version and not the DS one, of course. The adaptation is good in terms of resolution, not so good in terms of 3d effect and general "graphical" aspect (the game is the same of the DS version, let's say, just adapted to the new screen size and resolution)

The brand is suffering of repeativness, I felt a little tired of the same identical formula (even if they introduced slight new mechanics during matches) but the plot is less crazy than the second one, and (to me) more appealing (it's more Tsubasa than Dragon Ball this time, with the exception of the super moves of course) and the gameplay during the matches is simply unique and satisfying imho.

Probably I'd hope for some new basic change (maybe in the pace of exploration phase, and more animated cut scene, always stunning) plus some graphical updates, but for those I can wait the GO episode that will be the first real 3DS titles.

Generally, I loved the first game, I liked the second one and I enjoyed this in a similar way

squall23

The brand is suffering of repeativness, I felt a little tired of the same identical formula (even if they introduced slight new mechanics during matches) but the plot is less crazy than the second one, and (to me) more appealing (it's more Tsubasa than Dragon Ball this time, with the exception of the super moves of course) and the gameplay during the matches is simply unique and satisfying imho.

Probably I'd hope for some new basic change (maybe in the pace of exploration phase, and more animated cut scene, always stunning) plus some graphical updates, but for those I can wait the GO episode that will be the first real 3DS titles.
I wouldn't say gameplay-wise, though. Unfortunately, the evolution of the series slowed.

Still, awesome topic! I appreciate you bearing the torch for the series, especially since Level-5 hasn't slowed down on putting them out.
IMO, what makes Inazuma Eleven great is the series trying to the balance of everything. A story that isn't full blown out there but can still make you ask "IS THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENING?!" with a gameplay system that's still fun but not stupid. It's actually why I love IE3 so much. IEGo also follows quite well with the formula.

And then we have IEGo2 where Level 5 just completely goes off the deep end with everything.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
IMO, what makes Inazuma Eleven great is the series trying to the balance of everything. A story that isn't full blown out there but can still make you ask "IS THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENING?!" with a gameplay system that's still fun but not stupid. It's actually why I love IE3 so much. IEGo also follows quite well with the formula.

And then we have IEGo2 where Level 5 just completely goes off the deep end with everything.

Well, I agree. I actually enjoyed the story more on IE3 than IE2 (while the first in unrepeatable, imho), while in IE3 I suffered a little bit the brand fatigue (just because it's the third iteration way similar to the previous ones)
I hope Go can, at least with a new graphical update, slighlty new mechanics and a well balanced story (as I think it has, following your and other comments) can give freshness to the series once again

Btw, I repeat: those itnerested in the series will really enjoy this, even more than the second one despite it being a little bit fatigued from a gameplay point of view

squall23

Given it's copetitaiton is whatever bullshit Bayblade series is on, Bakugan and Pokemon, "Bad" is still "best", unfortuantely.

Also that SE dub is Canadian AFIK, same people who did Zoids CC.
By Canadian you mean dubbed in Canada right? Because the series has for sure never been shown here.

also

Banned
Great OP, you almost convinced me to buy the game. Maybe if we got the whole compilation I would have jumped in the series but I don't feel like starting at 3.

I never did get around to importing the first couple Inazuma Eleven DS games from Europe. Still worth it? Best website for Euro imports? I've mainly imported Japanese titles.
I would have said GAME but they lack stock...which is going to be a problem you'll run into with these older DS games.

Zavvi are far from the best (see RPGcrazed in the Xenoblade thread...his copy took like a month or so to arrive*) but they have stock of the first two games, gut feeling is a little expensive (they each cost the same as IE3). The games only have one language per card so German or French retailers etc can not be recommended.

*-Though international delivery was free back then. There is also a tracked option. But to honest Zavvi (and other members of thehut group) can be very slow.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Great OP, you almost convinced me to buy the game. Maybe if we got the whole compilation I would have jumped in the series but I don't feel like starting at 3.

Remember: 3DS is backward compatible, so you can start, from the first episode (that still is the best one imho)

also

Banned
Amazon UK has the first one for really cheap. The second one is also available at ShopTo.

Remember: 3DS is backward compatible, so you can start, from the first episode (that still is the best one imho)
Might give it a try then after I clear some of my backlog.

m0t0k1

Pretty dissapointed that they didnt do the 1,2,3 endou legend thing here. Would have bought it in a heartbeat. But i only played 2 and loved it. I kinda hate it when games skip content like that one piece game on 3ds. So i will wait for it to drop in price a bit or else i feel ripped off.

If it doesnt drop in price i will wait for inazuma go to get back in the series. Its not like i am going to miss anything story wise.
Enemies,defeat,training,tournament,win
is kind of the formula for this series. But if you didnt play any Inazuma games i suggest starting with this one because it had my favorite story out of the 3.

squall23

Pretty dissapointed that they didnt do the 1,2,3 endou legend thing here. Would have bought it in a heartbeat. But i only played 2 and loved it. I kinda hate it when games skip content like that one piece game on 3ds. So i will wait for it to drop in price a bit or else i feel ripped off.

If it doesnt drop in price i will wait for inazuma go to get back in the series. Its not like i am going to miss anything story wise.
Enemies,defeat,training,tournament,win
is kind of the formula for this series. But if you didnt play any Inazuma games i suggest starting with this one because it had my favorite story out of the 3.
I honestly think the only reason they didn't release the compilation and The Ogre is purely a business decision. I'm willing to bet if they do release The Ogre and/or the compilation, France, Italy, and Spain will buy it up again.

m0t0k1

I honestly think the only reason they didn't release the compilation and The Ogre is purely a business decision. I'm willing to bet if they do release The Ogre and/or the compilation, France, Italy, and Spain will buy it up again.

Yeah it is really populair arround those parts. The first one took the netherlands by storm. But i heard the second didnt do so wel over here. But of course i can understand they only release 3 here, because we didnt have the 3rd one on ds yet. Maybe at the end of the 3ds life they are going to release 1,2,3 here to get some extra money. I dont mind i can wait. also i am interested in the new tactics mode looks kinda cool.

Hasney

Briefly played the first one and enjoyed it. Damn, really tempted. Not had a new 3DS game to play with in a while so it's this or Mario & Luigi.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I have ZERO interest in 3ds, but I am ALWAYS tempted to get one because of this series. How is gameplay is this game?

it's excellent. They're really easy to pick up, meaty RPGs with tons of content

I'm not sure I'll get this, heard it's too similar to the other two. besides, my backlog is monstrous already and Zelda will be out soon...hmmmm

Though I dislike football, the fact it's Level 5 and a RPG has me interested, so I might pick it up. Bit poorly timed with Wind Waker the following week and then Pokemon the week after, but student loan means I have money to burn.

squall23

I have ZERO interest in 3ds, but I am ALWAYS tempted to get one because of this series. How is gameplay is this game?
It's solid. It's really not easy to explain it but the fundamentals are to draw paths for characters, touch another character to pass if you have the ball, touch the net to watch SUPER SKILL.

squall23

Senator Soufflé;83861127 said:
Though I dislike football, the fact it's Level 5 and a RPG has me interested, so I might pick it up. Bit poorly timed with Wind Waker the following week and then Pokemon the week after, but student loan means I have money to burn.
Inazuma Eleven is the definition of a sports game that isn't a sports game. You don't even have to think of the game as "football", you can think of it as a real time strategy RPG with stats and cool looking techs where the objective is to get a ball in a net.

Quite frankly, this kind of gameplay system would work just as well with hockey or basketball or any sport with a point-scoring object and a net.

sd28821

i heard there is no super linking in this game is that true since i still have my copy of fire storm and was planing to trade the players

squall23

i heard there is no super linking in this game is that true since i still have my copy of fire storm and was planing to trade the players
First I've heard of it, but it wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't because I'm not sure if DS to 3DS connectivity in this kind of scale is possible, especially if they're 2 different games. Would be disappointing if true.

Reknoc

picked up BOMB BLAST on my lunch break. £25 at grainger.

edit: still not bothered to get IE2 or complete 1... oh well!

Conan-san

Is it my imagination or is the full on boss matches harder?

I mean I shouldn't have a hard time getting one behind the net of Tori's Team but it went to Sudden Death Penalties the first time I went at it.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I would have said GAME but they lack stock...which is going to be a problem you'll run into with these older DS games.

Zavvi are far from the best (see RPGcrazed in the Xenoblade thread...his copy took like a month or so to arrive*) but they have stock of the first two games, gut feeling is a little expensive (they each cost the same as IE3). The games only have one language per card so German or French retailers etc can not be recommended.

*-Though international delivery was free back then. There is also a tracked option. But to honest Zavvi (and other members of thehut group) can be very slow.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Oh, and I'm in the US if that matters.

squall23

Is it my imagination or is the full on boss matches harder?

I mean I shouldn't have a hard time getting one behind the net of Tori's Team but it went to Sudden Death Penalties the first time I went at it.
I don't remember the game getting hard until post-game to be honest.

Top Bottom