• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Independence Day:Resurgence|SPOILER THREAD|Today we celebrate our idenpendendneys day

Status
Not open for further replies.

F!ReW!Re

Both this film and Will Smith's career might have been better off if he picked this over Suicide Squad. A darn shame

Lol what?
He dodged a bullet by not signing up for this. This movie is terrible.

I'm watching his right now, 53 minutes in. This is one of the worst movies I've ever seen... Is there any reason to keep watching? I'm ready to turn it off.

It's not gonna get any better...

Trojan X

Banned
Both this film and Will Smith's career might have been better off if he picked this over Suicide Squad. A darn shame

Madness talk. Will Smith made the right call not going for this movie.

This movie was complete dire, trying its hardest to be epic but failed at many elements. It was pretty stupid too, not Promepheus level of stupid (that was insulting) but it was too lax. The only thing i am thankful for is that it is better than Ghostbusters 2016. It was a disaster to the point that even simpletons won't be appreciate it as there is nothing to appreciate, let alone people that probably watched the movie while chugging beer and eating a plenty popcorn and hotdogs.

Avoid unless you just want to watch a moment that reminds you of Panzer Dragoon Zwei (badass game!!).

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Like... the general concept for the sequel was kind of cool

But there was no character development. At all. The writing was worse than your average tv show.

What exactly was the point of having the dad back when he does nothing the entire movie except waste screen time?

All the pilots seem so one dimensional.

The only thing i walked away liking was brent spiner

The plot definitely would have been different if he were still around; you could tell they had no idea to do with his character's family once he was gone. Better? Considering the many (many) failings of this movie, I doubt it.

When someone has no idea how to start a scene with the actual protagonist of that scene, you are kidding yourselves if you think anything different other than the writer would have made any damn difference.
Don't fall for that 'but what if' trap on finished products. What is, is, and that's that.
I feel that be named an actual fallacy. "yeah but what if they had..". Which is not the same as "I would have" or "in the future, you could" btw.

LoveCake

Watched this for the first time last night, I watched the original at the cinema when it came out, this sequel though, all I can say is that is was a quick two hours, the film is weak for a start and the logic in the film defies belief.

sono

Like... the general concept for the sequel was kind of cool

But there was no character development. At all. The writing was worse than your average tv show.

What exactly was the point of having the dad back when he does nothing the entire movie except waste screen time?

All the pilots seem so one dimensional.

The only thing i walked away liking was brent spiner

Agreed. The film was like a bunch of vaguely related tv shows played together without even a break for adverts

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Just watched it, after loving the first for so many years this one was well, a bit shit. I feel like it just didn't need to be made, not like this anyway.

The characters were awful, I don't know why we were following Hemsworth as a semi main character because he was awful. I didn't care about him or his situation, it felt like there was no emotional depth to the film at all, he was just a pretty face. Goldblums father felt pointless in this, I don't know why Smiths ex stripper wife was in this to then just get killed off, but again that just felt meh.

The set pieces didn't wow me either, maybe because they went so big but I just went "ok" when the big ship landed. They comment that the aliens technology hasn't changed besides "a new HUD", but almost everything with their designs was different. I would have been more impressed if they came back with the same sort of ships they did last time, all the new designs just felt off like this wasn't a sequel to an existing film.

They worked too much with retroactivity saying stuff that happened that we just didn't see in the last film. Oh this giant ship was the only one to land, sort of thing you'd think they notice. There must have also been one of these queens on the last mothership, so when we destroyed it the aliens all stop doing anything, oh, but there was also a ground war in africa for 10 years without a queen, so they don't need one?

We can do wonderfully creative things with the CG technology we have, but nothing felt real in this film, I felt completely out of it the whole time and that none of it really mattered. It was just a 2 hour long disappointment.

They worked too much with retroactivity saying stuff that happened that we just didn't see in the last film. Oh this giant ship was the only one to land, sort of thing you'd think they notice. There must have also been one of these queens on the last mothership, so when we destroyed it the aliens all stop doing anything, oh, but there was also a ground war in africa for 10 years without a queen, so they don't need one?

Yeah everything they glossed over felt like there was a much cooler film that happened after the first one and before this one.

Sephzilla

Wait he died? I even forgot how he died. Did he die by going in the prison to possess himself via alien ? Or wait, didn't he have a pilot suit on?

He flies the ship full of nukes that they use to blow up the Queen's ship. But it doesn't matter because the Queen still lives because she has a shield. A shield that, I might add, can withstand a fucking point blank nuke but apparently breaks from a sustained pew pew from a single fighter.

suedester

Banned
He flies the ship full of nukes that they use to blow up the Queen's ship. But it doesn't matter because the Queen still lives because she has a shield. A shield that, I might add, can withstand a fucking point blank nuke but apparently breaks from a sustained pew pew from a single fighter.

Maybe the shield was weakened by the nuke. Did you think of that eh!? Anyway, just watched the movie, it was pretty terrible but the CGI I thought was good. Set up for a third sequel which I guess I will suffer through at some point.

zma1013

It's like when someone can't get a tight lid off a jar and they hand it to the next person and they open it right up. "I must have loosened it up a bit before I gave it to you."

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Yeah everything they glossed over felt like there was a much cooler film that happened after the first one and before this one.

Pretty much, such a disappointment.

It still kills me that Bill Pullman's character dies for nothing in the movie

I forgot to mention that, what the fuck was that about? They make a fuss over who should fly the suicide plane and then it doesn't even matter? Terrible. Though I felt like I didn't even care that much when it happened because it felt like there was no heart to this film, it had none of the redeeming qualities the first had. Then they go and kill off all but one of the characters than mattered from the first film, and tried to replace Will Smith with his step son who I feel was barely in the film really and Hemsworth and his annoying friend.

The queens shield can survive a nuke, I'm not even sure why the queen uses the ship to attack Area 51 as she caused far more havoc and nearly did what she wanted to by herself. The film has so much fault logic and bad choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom