• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Index (Atlus) entering into a restructuring bankruptcy; looking to transfer/sell

Status
Not open for further replies.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
No, it was after Persona 4. Catherine wasn't really a "test"; they just had an idea and wanted to go with it.

Catherine‘s actually been in development for a while now, as Hashino recalls to when the Persona 4 development team would switch back and forth between developing Catherine‘s first stages and polishing up Persona 4. With that said, they intentionally made Catherine a shorter game.

http://gematsu.com/2010/08/catherine-is-twenty-hours-long-has-multiple-endings

So it was about near the end of P4, then onto Catherine. My mistake.

NeonZ

not in japan

Only in the west, though.

Even in Japan, the first Persona was called "Megami Ibunroku Persona" (Megami/Goddess Strange Tale Persona") and Persona 3 and 4 share designs with mainline Shin Megami Tensei. It's clearly connected, even without SMT in the title. I guess they slapped SMT in the title of the Western releases because it'd be an easier way to show the connection between them than the original rather odd title reference. Devil Survivor also had the same "Megami Ibunroku" title for its Japanese release and became another "Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor" in the West.

"SMT" might not be part of their title, but it's clear that, whether in Japan or the rest of the world, they are supposed to be under a single umbrella. The only difference is how they call bigger group, with the Western brand using Shin Megami Tensei for everything, while the Japanese use titles connected to the original "Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei" in various ways.

FluxWaveZ

I stand corrected then. I either read a mistranslation of Hashino's P3P blog post or there was some contradiction because it clearly stated after, but having the games developed concurrently makes things far more interesting.

Or maybe "polishing up" kind of refers to the final touches, so the blog wasn't entirely incorrect when it stated that they started work after P4's development.

Kyon

Banned
The DDS and Devil Summoner games all did under 50k too. On PS2, P3/4 were the only Atlus developed games to crack 100k.

On the other hand Trauma Center 2O ousold both P3 and P4 in the US and passed 200k (lol). Too bad the sequels bombed though.

Persona and Trauma Center their power

The DDS and Devil Summoner games all did under 50k too. On PS2, P3/4 were the only Atlus developed games to crack 100k.

On the other hand Trauma Center 2O ousold both P3 and P4 in the US and passed 200k (lol). Too bad the sequels bombed though.

Persona has been struggling before Trauma Center : Second Opinion came around.

Actually, P2 was just Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, no Revelations anywhere.
Revelations was planned as the original franchise branding for SMT over here. It only ever made it to 2 products though (Persona on PS, The Demon Slayer on GBC) before Atlus USA dropped it. Would've been 3 (Devil Summoner) had Atlus USA not killed their Saturn plans in mid 96.

Refyref

Clearly, this means one thing.

Atlus needs to make more Trauma Center games.

yasssssss

wait why havent we gotten a new trauma center btw?

Trauma Team bombed. :(

Revelations was planned as the original franchise branding for SMT over here. It only ever made it to 2 products though (Persona on PS, The Demon Slayer on GBC) before Atlus USA dropped it. Would've been 3 (Devil Summoner) had Atlus USA not killed their Saturn plans in mid 96.

Heh, I was hoping for english Soul Hackers back then when Gamefan teased that it was coming to the US. I always meant to get Revelations: Persona back when it first came out but couldn't afford it back then.

Oy, hoping SMT will be okay throughout all this.

If Atlus USA killed their Saturn plans in 1996, why did they release Lunacy in the US in 1997?

But yeah, it was odd how they started with Revelations, and then changed the name.

Lunar15

Internally, the persona series was a dud sales wise till 3 and 4. SMT was the bread and butter, and Atlus had a lot of franchises under the SMT label, even in japan.

In fact, when budgeting out for Digital Devil Saga, Nocturne, and P3, P3 received the smallest budget, and DDS was, at least internally, considered the game that was going to bridge the mainstream gap.

P3 was somewhat of an unexpected success for them.

May have been covered in the thread, but would development be frozen until this all gets sorted out? Or would they still continue to work under the impression being bought up wouldn't effect much on that side of things?

Refyref

May have been covered in the thread, but would development be frozen until this all gets sorted out? Or would they still continue to work under the impression being bought up wouldn't effect much on that side of things?

No, if anything, things should be going as usual until everything is done.

FluxWaveZ

They've stated that the development of all previously announced titles of theirs will continue.

As for unannounced, aka Persona 5, I dunno. Did Saints Row 4's development continue during the THQ madness?

dramatis

I would think the show must go on. Back when Disney purchased Lucasfilm, apparently everyone just kept on working until Disney decided what they would do with the parts.

If EA buys them I will cry. But not as much as Wii U owners Lol.
video-game-memes-papea-kills-off-developers.jpg

Don't even joke about that...

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
They've stated that the development of all previously announced titles of theirs will continue.

As for unannounced, aka Persona 5, I dunno. Did Saints Row 4's development continue during the THQ madness?

Saints Row 4 was originally a DLC expansion for Saints Row 3, so I'd wager they were pretty far along once THQ started going down the toilet. I doubt they stopped development. Hell, they may have even been done or very close to it around that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom