• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Index (Atlus) entering into a restructuring bankruptcy; looking to transfer/sell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhapsody

Banned
I was hoping things would somehow go ok. With all the negativity about Index whenever new news popped up, things looked bleak.
I really wonder what'll happen to Atlus and of course Megaten.

Soulflarz

Banned
i really really really really really really don't see nintendo buying atlus. they don't just go out and buy companies. it's just not their style. however, if we look back at the last two years, they've been putting a lot of their franchise games, mainly the smt games, on the ds and 3ds. only persona goes on the psp/vita. meanwhile on consoles, it's the opposite: nintendo gets none of the atlus games while ps3/360 get persona 4: arena and catherine. on the other hand, those are really the only two franchises from atlus proper that i'm aware of.
Itd be a dream come true if in the event sony/nintendo bought em they kept them multiplatform

Cause no offense i want persona 5 on a ps4 not a wiiu

Edit: yes im aware current gens more likely but hey one can hope :p

Guys who keep saying they should go buy games, this bankruptcy isnt happening due to low sales, its happening due to fraud and corruption at the higher levels of Index, nothing anyone can really do about that.

wrowa

This happened surprisingly quick. Did anything come out of the investigations already? Or are they trying not to have to pay eventual fines this way?

almost nothing, especially if you do not live in japan and are thus not exposed to most of index's stuff, but i'm sure any negative fan reactions to persona 5 will be blamed on it

Well, Atlus USA are Index too. They'll certainly be affected too if their mother company goes down...

Hopefully everything's going to work out some way.

Dinda

Come on Sony! Atlus is exactly the Studio your Worlwide Studios are missing! That also would mean Persona Games on current gen consoles (PS4).

Do it Sony!

edit
And European releases!

Mozendo

The only positive thing I see out of this that people will stop talking about Persona 5 (and Persona 3DS).

So bittersweet.

Refyref

I hope this doesn't set the tone for the coming generation, it seems like companies are going down left and right (THQ,CAVE now Atlus).

Index didn't die due to financial issues like the other two. It died because it pulled illegal actions.

Ok now im confused.. didnt they buy Aterlier? or am i thinking of something else?

That's them. They recently stealth released Atelier Totori Plus on PSN. No announcement was made at all. The Store was updated and it suddenly appeared with no warning. They also upset fans for not doing dual voices for Ayesha even though it was common with NISA Atelier games.

Wow that sucks. I'm sure it's not gonna destroy them, but it's going to change a lot.

I thought Dragon's Crown curse too, but I'd rather blame chasing fool's gold with stuff like Game of Thrones, and it's presumably expensive license.

Even if I'm wrong, I'd rather believe that anyway.

i really really really really really really don't see nintendo buying atlus. they don't just go out and buy companies. it's just not their style. however, if we look back at the last two years, they've been putting a lot of their franchise games, mainly the smt games, on the ds and 3ds. only persona goes on the psp/vita. meanwhile on consoles, it's the opposite: nintendo gets none of the atlus games while ps3/360 get persona 4: arena and catherine. on the other hand, those are really the only two franchises from atlus proper that i'm aware of.

I don't think Atlus' IPs are significant enough for any platform holder to buy them on a whim. Just doesn't seem like a big strategic advantage to have them exclusively on your system. It assures you some sales in Japan and that's about it.

Kyon

Banned
That's them. They recently stealth released Atelier Totori Plus on PSN. No announcement was made at all. The Store was updated and it suddenly appeared with no warning. They also upset fans for not doing dual voices for Ayesha even though it was common with NISA Atelier games.

a mess.... so who do you want to buy them?

AniHawk

Itd be a dream come true if in the event sony/nintendo bought em they kept them multiplatform

Cause no offense i want persona 5 on a ps4 not a wiiu

if the difference is actually getting persona 5 and not getting persona 5, i don't think it really matters what system it's for.

I don't think Atlus' IPs are significant enough for any platform holder to buy them on a whim. Just doesn't seem like a big strategic advantage to have them exclusively on your system. It assures you some sales in Japan and that's about it.

that's the other element. if anything, i could see nintendo maybe purchasing or co-owning the smt franchise like they somehow do the fatal frame franchise (seriously how and why did they go for that?). they're co-creating a game using their own up with the fe x smt crossover, and they're publishing smt iv outside of japan. that's not huge overwhelming support, but it's way more than what usually comes from nintendo.

Crunch King

Neo Member
If this means we don't get Persona 5, there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth. Cities will burn.

How many copies of Dragon's Crown and SMT IV would I have to buy to save the company...

duckroll

kind of? except the implication here isn't that index is so vital to the economy it can't fail or else it'll take the whole country with it.

I don't really see how the Japanese civil rehabilitation law is vastly different from the US form of filing for Chapter 11. Either way, they're under bankruptcy protection of some form, and have to restructure and sort their debts and assets out within the legal system before they can either return to proper business or get wound up. It's not good news.

Minions

I hope this doesn't set the tone for the coming generation, it seems like companies are going down left and right (THQ,CAVE now Atlus).

To be clear, their owners fucked up and did illegal shit, after buying Atlus. So It's not exactly the same thing.

ash_ag

You're right.

Squeenix should buy em.

Always wanted to see what a mainline SMT game would look like under Nomura's guidance.

Oh God, can you imagine? The enormous monster Square Taito Eidos Atlus Enix would be... In all seriousness though, if they treated Atlus it as they treat Eidos, I wouldn't even be mad.

Why are people hoping for Sony though? SMT main is Nintendo, Devil Survivor is Nintendo, Soul Hackers released on 3DS when it never really had to, SMTxFE is a thing, and other franchises like Etrian Odyssey and Trauma Center have never left Nintendo.

At this point, only Persona is steady on Sony's platforms and although it had great ports/remakes this gen, it haven't had a sequel since the 6th generation.

It should be neither Nintendo nor Sony, but between the two of them, I dunno.

kyoya

Just watch, someone is going to fuck up and throw away Atlus source code in the midst of cleaning out the offices.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
RIP EU soul hackers, etrian odyssey 4 and SMT IV ?

Etrian Odyssey and Soul Hackers have already been released in US, I don't see problems for their release over here. Almost the same for SMTIV, since it's releasing soon in US.

Soriku

If this means we don't get Persona 5, there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth. Cities will burn.

How many copies of Dragon's Crown and SMT IV would I have to buy to save the company...

Considering they're going down because of fraudulent activities I don't think how many copies you'd buy matters.

Kyon

Banned
Oh God, can you imagine? The enormous monster Square Taito Eidos Atlus Enix would be... In all seriousness though, if they treated Atlus it as they treat Eidos, I wouldn't even be mad.

Why are people hoping for Sony though? SMT main is Nintendo, Devil Survivor is Nintendo, Soul Hackers released on 3DS when it never really had to, SMTxFE is a thing, and other franchises like Etrian Odyssey and Trauma Center have never left Nintendo.

At this point, only Persona is steady on Sony's platforms and although it had great ports/remakes this gen, it haven't had a sequel since the 6th generation.

It should be neither Nintendo nor Sony, but between the two of them, I dunno.

Thats why i said sony should buy persona and nintendo SMT.

Tbh besides maybe SMTIV i could care less about the SMT franchise its lessor compared to Persona.

Someone 3rd party should buy them tho that way we all keep our sanity

I think GungHo might be the most likely choice. But Tecmo isn't a terrible choice either. It's not like Persona games have dual audio anyway.

i support this then

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom