• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Index (Atlus) entering into a restructuring bankruptcy; looking to transfer/sell

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolvenOne

It doesn't sound like we're anywhere close to Atlus closing, or being sold off just yet. Bankruptcy is a scary word, but if its anything like American bankruptcy, they can come through it and emerge a stronger company.

Just for fun though.

Square Enix
Namco
Capcom
Nintendo

These companies would be smart to start putting out feelers, just in case things go badly.

Sadist

if it's possible, i would just like it if the remnants of the company establish themselves as a new group like snk playmore did.

i'm not 100% sure what snk playmore did, actually, but i assumed it was basically the old snk under a new name.
Guess we'll see soon enough.

AniHawk

Well its been on Sony platforms in the past unlike Persona.

that's not a strong argument. recent history shows atlus's persona team preferring the playstation scene, but the guys behind etrian odyssey and smt have been riding the ds/3ds train for a while now. it's almost to the point where it's like persona is the bone they throw that fanbase (aside from catherine).

Mozendo

SMT used to be on Sony. Persona is their biggest IP and its exclusive to Sony. Atlus are pretty much known for three IP's, Persona, SMT and EO. Since their biggest IP is with Sony, I'm guessing most Persona fans would want such a thing.

Third party is the best option though so both fan bases are appeased.

If it's an exclusive how come P4:A is on the 360? Also you sure SMT is bigger than Persona?

People need to know that Atlus hasn't been a company in years. Index fully assimilated Atlus a while back, Atlus is just a brand name for Index now.

Soulflarz

Banned
Outta curiousity to everyone who says nintendo should buy them, personas bigger than SMT right? (Outside of japan at least)

Cause by name ive only known about SMT well for a few years, ive known about persona...for a LONG time

Edit:judging by replies around me, personas a bigger series. Which now leaves us at the perfect split to say sony/nintendo better not buy them+make them exclusive

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
If it's an exclusive how come P4:A is on the 360? Also you sure SMT is bigger than Persona?

Persona is bigger. Persona 1 had the biggest Atlus sales openings (in Japan) I believe.

AniHawk

People need to know that Atlus hasn't been a company in years. Index fully assimilated Atlus a while back, Atlus is just a brand name for Index now.

this is so weird. don't they have development teams that were basically untouched? i thought index was this weird banking thing. how difficult would it be to just spin the developers that comprise atlus back into their own company again?

lmfao @ a fightning game. Thats not a mainline title

oh and Persona is bigger than SMT

SMT USED to be bigger than Persona, keyword is used. SMT at one point was one of the big 3 along with Dragon Quest and FF back in the SNES days, that early PS1 era hurt them bad.

But I never liked how elitist you act towards the SMT fan base, but the SMT fan base is also hardcore elitist, elitists everywhere, people pls...

Erethian

if it's possible, i would just like it if the remnants of the company establish themselves as a new group like snk playmore did.

i'm not 100% sure what snk playmore did, actually, but i assumed it was basically the old snk under a new name.

It was the founder of SNK and executives who resigned, forming a new company (Playmore) and buying up the remnants of SNK.

that's not a strong argument. recent history shows atlus's persona team preferring the playstation scene, but the guys behind etrian odyssey and smt have been riding the ds/3ds train for a while now. it's almost to the point where it's like persona is the bone they throw that fanbase (aside from catherine).

Persona is not a bone when the budget of those games far exceed any of the titles you have mentioned, its more like the meat.

Cosmozone

I hope they can just go on at some point, since it's management misbehaving that caused the trouble rather than financial issues.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
lmfao @ a fightning game. Thats not a mainline title

oh and Persona is bigger than SMT
1cMykyT.jpeg

AniHawk

Outta curiousity to everyone who says nintendo should buy them, personas bigger than SMT right? (Outside of japan at least)

Cause by name ive only known about SMT well for a few years, ive known about persona...for a LONG time

in the 90s there were two games in a franchise called megami tensei.

there was a spinoff called shin megami tensei.

shin megami tensei spun off several more franchises. one of those is persona. technically, persona belongs to shin megami tensei. i don't think any of the worlds actually connect, but the branding is all over those games.

Soulflarz

Banned
Valve buys them, Persona 5 to be steambox exclusive.
Sure, and hidden in the game code is half life 3

OH DEAR GOD
I have a second fear now
10 years from now whomever atlus is then jokes about the "fabled persona 5" like half life 3 is now
I dont think i could deal with it

zeopower6

in the 90s there were two games in a franchise called megami tensei.

there was a spinoff called shin megami tensei.

shin megami tensei spun off several more franchises. one of those is persona. technically, persona belongs to shin megami tensei. i don't think any of the worlds actually connect, but the branding is all over those games.

Isn't Persona technically a Megami Tensei-spinoff?

Eusis

SMT USED to be bigger than Persona, keyword is used. SMT at one point was one of the big 3 along with Dragon Quest and FF back in the SNES days, that early PS1 era hurt them bad.
People always seem to say that about some JRPG series, but we'd need to crunch numbers to see which series REALLY holds that spot.
It's probably Pokemon anyway, even if it barely overlapped with the SNES generation in Japan.

... This is some terrible news, yeah. I'm not too worried about the short term, if nothing else I can see the current slate of games being finished and release, but the future... Fuck, probably the best case scenario is a complete unknown who has solid accounting an interest in breaking into the gaming business, and who will be fairly liberal with creative freedom buying up what we recognize as Atlus. No worries about first party exclusivity, or current third parties mucking things up.

IrishNinja

jesus, i need to know how this pans out.

sony, nintendo, whoever but EA/activision/etc (dont really see why they'd be in the market anyway) id be okay with, they just need a solid home

oh yeah, this'd be almost ideal if it could work out somehow

CTLance

Poor fans.

As someone who only had a bit of casual fun with the EO and Trauma Center games this saddens me, but not to the extent of crying bloody tears like some of us in this thread - and I am thankful for that.

Good luck to Atlus and its franchises, may they live on. Gonna find my DS and play some EO as a lucky charm.

This is worrying. Surely such a talented bunch will be bought by a healthy company that can give them what they need to do their work and allow their franchises to grow, right?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Isn't Persona technically a Megami Tensei-spinoff?

Spin-off of a spin-off.

This probably makes Catherine a spin-off of a spin-off of a spin-off.

amardilo

microsoft could go and snap in atlus....
i hope not, so sony do eet!

That might help MS a bit in Japan and I'd like it as it gives them a developer and IP a bit different from their usual output of Halo and Forza titles, not saying any of those are bad but releasing something by Atlus every 2 years or so might add a bit of varity.

However I doubt MS would buy them as them seem reluctant to buy medium to large developers now and favour creating new studios.

For me it would be better if a large 3rd party publisher bought them as it may help Atlus release games soon in Europe and not have to partner with someone to get a game released.

I for some reason see Square Enix getting the money from somewhere and buying them (not that I want them to be bought by them I just think it is something the board at Square Enix would do).

Other than that I think going to Konami might be OK because Konami's JRPG output isn't that huge lately and Atlus could fill that gap for them.

I don't really see how the Japanese civil rehabilitation law is vastly different from the US form of filing for Chapter 11. Either way, they're under bankruptcy protection of some form, and have to restructure and sort their debts and assets out within the legal system before they can either return to proper business or get wound up. It's not good news.

Haven't they already surrendered to the creditors though?

MLH

This is still a thing?

Why can't people for once hope that a company buys them that bothers to support all platforms? Why all this "Please Nintendo/Sony buy them" stuff?

Yep, too many people showing their Fanboy colours, its rather sad to see.
Just hope all the developers keep their jobs.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Persona is not a bone when the budget of those games far exceed any of the titles you have mentioned, its more like the meat.

How do you know that? New IPs don't even have assets from their other series for them to carry over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom