• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Index (Atlus) entering into a restructuring bankruptcy; looking to transfer/sell

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

Shouldn't these games go unaffected since they're just being translated/published?

etrian odyssey iv and soul hackers are already out in the united states. nis america is handling the european versions of both games. nintendo is doing the american smt iv. i don't know what's happening with the european smt iv.

i think it's good to say dragon's crown is also a safe title.

Tecmo enjoys releasing games without telling fans anything :p

tecmo usa is a really small operation.

Minions

etrian odyssey iv and soul hackers are already out in the united states. nis america is handling the european versions of both games. nintendo is doing the american smt iv. i don't know what's happening with the european smt iv.

It has already been printed, so yeah.

HooYaH

Oh God, can you imagine? The enormous monster Square Taito Eidos Atlus Enix would be... In all seriousness though, if they treated Atlus it as they treat Eidos, I wouldn't even be mad.

Why are people hoping for Sony though? SMT main is Nintendo, Devil Survivor is Nintendo, Soul Hackers released on 3DS when it never really had to, SMTxFE is a thing, and other franchises like Etrian Odyssey and Trauma Center have never left Nintendo.

At this point, only Persona is steady on Sony's platforms and although it had great ports/remakes this gen, it haven't had a sequel since the 6th generation.

It should be neither Nintendo nor Sony, but between the two of them, I dunno.

Square Enix would port all of atlus games to mobile exclusively.

Soriku

Nintendo is doing the EU SMT IV, Atlus USA is handling the NA version.

Squire

Banned
Tecmo is still kinda iffy on their support of their RPGs in the west. They are getting a bit better, but their treatment of Ayesha and Totori+ is a bit worrisome.

The Totori+ release was a damn shame, flat out.

With NISA it was a niche game; Tecmo made it literally unheard of.

duckroll

Had to remove Holdings from the thread title. It was bugging me too much. The company hasn't been Index Holdings for ages, it's just Index now.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
i really really really really really really don't see nintendo buying atlus. they don't just go out and buy companies. it's just not their style. however, if we look back at the last two years, they've been putting a lot of their franchise games, mainly the smt games, on the ds and 3ds. only persona goes on the psp/vita. meanwhile on consoles, it's the opposite: nintendo gets none of the atlus games while ps3/360 get persona 4: arena and catherine. on the other hand, those are really the only two franchises from atlus proper that i'm aware of.
The Trauma Center franchise was Wii exclusive (apart from the two DS games).

Really interested on the effect on SMTxFE considering Intelligent Systems are working on that game. If quite a bit of work is already done I wonder what Nintendo will do to ensure that the game is released.

AniHawk

Had to remove Holdings from the thread title. It was bugging me too much. The company hasn't been Index Holdings for ages, it's just Index now.

isn't it index corporation

The Trauma Center franchise was Wii exclusive (after the two DS games).

always forget about that one. it has been years since trauma center kinda died as a series. i blame it on oversaturation. only so many games you can pump out in a series like that in five years.

Oh God, can you imagine? The enormous monster Square Taito Eidos Atlus Enix would be... In all seriousness though, if they treated Atlus it as they treat Eidos, I wouldn't even be mad.

Why are people hoping for Sony though? SMT main is Nintendo, Devil Survivor is Nintendo, Soul Hackers released on 3DS when it never really had to, SMTxFE is a thing, and other franchises like Etrian Odyssey and Trauma Center have never left Nintendo.

At this point, only Persona is steady on Sony's platforms and although it had great ports/remakes this gen, it haven't had a sequel since the 6th generation.

It should be neither Nintendo nor Sony, but between the two of them, I dunno.

SMT used to be on Sony. Persona is their biggest IP and its exclusive to Sony. Atlus are pretty much known for three IP's, Persona, SMT and EO. Since their biggest IP is with Sony, I'm guessing most Persona fans would want such a thing.

Third party is the best option though so both fan bases are appeased.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Really interested on the effect on SMTxFE considering Intelligent Systems are working on that game. If quite a bit of work is already done I wonder what Nintendo will do to ensure that the game is released.

Iwata: "In order to guarantee the completition of Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem, we bought the whole Atlus. Please, understand ;) "

SMT used to be on Sony. Persona is their biggest IP and its exclusive to Sony. Atlus are pretty much known for three IP's, Persona, SMT and EO. Since their biggest IP is with Sony, I'm guessing most Persona fans would want such a thing.

Third party is the best option though so both fan bases are appeased.

SMT used to be on Nintendo.

wrowa

Etrian Odyssey and Soul Hackers have already been released in US, I don't see problems for their release over here. Almost the same for SMTIV, since it's releasing soon in US.

It depends on the contracts, it depends on whether there's still programming work to do for the European releases. It's impossible to know the details, especially since we don't what will happen with Index in the first place.

Since the company is apparently still operating, contracts with licensors should be the last thing we have to worry about, though.

Kyon

Banned
Well, Persona 5 Xbone exclusive would have an impact...

lbr here. All their franchises arent exactly high up there in sales. XBone of all things in Japan will be DOA. I think choosing to go down with Index would've been the better choice for them if i was in their shoes

Considering the SMT x Fire Emblem Game is still under developement (and maybe several other unannounced Wii U titles as well - Trauma Center maybe) Nintendo has to act in some way..

AniHawk

Horrible news. I just hope Atlus falls in the hands of a decent parent company.

if it's possible, i would just like it if the remnants of the company establish themselves as a new group like snk playmore did.

i'm not 100% sure what snk playmore did, actually, but i assumed it was basically the old snk under a new name.

tolkir

Sony needs Japanese first-party studios. Atlus would be a perfect choice.
But, on the other side, I still want news Etrian Odissey, SMT, etc on 3DS.

Decisions, decisions.

Well its been on Sony platforms in the past unlike Persona.

SMT was exclusive to Nintendo and then it wasn't. Console exclusivity is never guaranteed unless it's a first party series.

Wouldn't count on it. Their creditors have the final say (The people that own their debt).

Money does not pop out of thin air and they're not going to suddenly cancel all of the projects they've already sunk money into. These projects may get rushed out the door and be largely unplayable though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom