• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Index Corp registers Persona5.jp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'll blindly purchase whatever system this game is running on.

Pleeeeease have it be PS3/PS4 though. And god, don't make it a handheld game.

Jamix012

They're great numbers, but they'll be expecting waaaaaaay more from P5.

SMT4 will likely sell really low in the West. Persona 5 on the other hand will probably sell rather well.

Yes, one'd expect more from Persona 5, but only really because it's Persona.

CSX

They're great numbers, but they'll be expecting waaaaaaay more from P5.

SMT4 will likely sell really low in the West. Persona 5 on the other hand will probably sell rather well.

Oh i agree. It just seemed the guy implied the game tanked in Japan which wasnt the case.
SMT IV US sales are going to be absolutely depressing T__T

Just hoping P5 aint some sort of Xbone exclusive. Otherwise, i will be waiting a lot longer tahn expected to play it lol

Uh? It surpassed SMTIII LTD, tell me why it isn't a success.
Nocturne did 250k (not including the mania edition which did 77k). SMT IV is pretty much in line with it, which is nice and all but let's not act like it's their best selling game ever. It's not even the best selling megaten game. You said that "After the success of SMTIV they'd be stupid not to consider it." , well I've got some news for you. Catherine did 500k world wide, there is absolutely no chance that SMT IV will even come close to touching that. If we go by your logic. I could say "After Catherine's success they'd be stupid not to put it on consoles". I also doubt that hashino wants anything to do with 3ds.
Well, it did sell through 80% of its shipment in its first week. About 188k units sold, according to Media Create. Persona 4 Golden, on the other hand, sold about 137k in its first week according to Media Create, and about 260k units in Japan overall. So not bad for a handheld with a much smaller install base than the 3DS. PS3/Vita is my prediction for P5.
Catherine sold 500k world wide irc and that was a puzzle game. P5 is going to be on consoles, PERIOD. I also think that releasing a vita version first would be a stupid move. They can just wait a year, add some new content, give it a different name and make people buy it all over again.

Frost_Ace

Oh i agree. It just seemed the guy implied the game tanked in Japan which wasnt the case.
SMT IV US sales are going to be absolutely depressing T__T

Just hoping P5 aint some sort of Xbone exclusive. Otherwise, i will be waiting a lot longer tahn expected to play it lol

After the good Fire Emblem numbers, I say there's a bit of hope for SMT, there's certainly an interest in jrpgs on the platform.

Nocturne did 250k (not including the mania edition which did 77k). SMT IV is pretty much in line with it, which is nice and all but let's not act like it's their best selling game ever. It's not even the best selling megaten game. You said that "After the success of SMTIV they'd be stupid not to consider it." , well I've got some news for you. Catherine did 500k world wide, there is absolutely no chance that SMT IV will even come close to touching that. If we go by your logic. I could say "After Catherine's success they'd be stupid not to put it on consoles". I also doubt that hashino wants anything to do with 3ds.
Catherine sold 500k world wide irc and that was a puzzle game. P5 is going to be on consoles, PERIOD. I also think that releasing a vita version first would be a stupid move. They can just wait a year, add some new content, give it a different name and make people buy it all over again.
When did I say that? SMTIV sold more than the expectations especially after the low SJ numbers, and considering that the 3DS is the only healthy platform in japan right now, it would be unwise not to consider it.

Of course as an european, I hope it will be on ps3/vita.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Well, it did sell through 80% of its shipment in its first week. About 188k units sold, according to Media Create. Persona 4 Golden, on the other hand, sold about 137k in its first week according to Media Create, and about 260k units in Japan overall. So not bad for a handheld with a much smaller install base than the 3DS. PS3/Vita is my prediction for P5.

Isn't this comparison a little unfair? SMT4 is a brand new title created exclusively for the 3DS, while P4G is a remake of a tltle which is already done.

But yea, I'd expect the next game Persona to be on consoles, and then a rerelease on handhelds a year later with extra content to reap the maximum benefits.

Glass Rebel

The only Persona I can see happening on 3DS is a port of Persona 3 to coincide with the P3 film. And I'd still say that the chances for a proper P3 on Vita are higher.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
The only Persona I can see happening on 3DS is a port of Persona 3 to coincide with the P3 film. And I'd still say that the chances for a proper P3 on Vita are higher.

It could be multiplatform you know. I never understood why japanese games don't go multiplatform. I think going multi will be good for the franchise and the company as a whole.

SMTIV is a success because it shows that mainline SMT is still viable even with the popularity of Persona. And doing numbers on par with SMTIII (Maniax edition doesn't count as it is a separate SKU) with probably much less budget must be encouraging. Of course this doesn't mean Persona now belongs on 3DS (far from it), but you don't have to play down its success to get that across.

SMTIV is a success because it shows that mainline SMT is still viable even with the popularity of Persona. And doing numbers on par with SMTIII (Maniax edition doesn't count as it is a separate SKU) with probably much less budget must be encouraging. Of course this doesn't mean Persona now belongs on 3DS (far from it), but you don't have to play down its success to get that across.
When did mainline SMT stop being viable? I can understand if SMT 2 did well and SMT 3 flopped but it didn't. SMT IV is the first mainline game in like a decade. The only true SMT game to come out was strange journey and that was a n64 looking dungeon crawler on regular ds(and it still did 130k).

As much as I loved Soul Hackers, expecting a port of a dated Saturn/PS1 game we never got back in the day to have good sales is rather silly.

Glass Rebel

It could be multiplatform you know. I never understood why japanese games don't go multiplatform. I think going multi will be good for the franchise and the company as a whole.

Who knows? The Persona fanbase is dedicated enough that there's probably not enough incentive to go multiplat.

As much as I loved Soul Hackers, expecting a port of a dated Saturn/PS1 game we never got back in the day to have good sales is rather silly.
Expecting any hard core dungeon crawler to put up any significant numbers is silly XD, etrian odyssey flopped too (or not necessarily flopped, I'm sure atlus at least broke even).

When did mainline SMT stop being viable? I can understand if SMT 2 did well and SMT 3 flopped but it didn't. SMT IV is the first mainline game in like a decade. The only true SMT game to come out was strange journey and that was a n64 looking dungeon crawler on regular ds(and it still did 130k).

I didn't say it wasn't viable, but its viability was certainly in question after Persona took off. Hell, it even shows with how much cheaper the development budget looks for SMTIV in comparison to III.

20 - 30k is not even close to good.
It's all relative. I'm sure it was profitable. The 110k Persona 4 sold in NA is 'not even close to good' compared to annual CoD numbers, so what standards are we applying here? They're decent numbers for a port of an old Saturn game.

Wouldn't really be a meltdown, would just be Atlus losing a sale. *shrug* Nobody's holding a gun to my head saying I have to buy the game, and if it's another lazy PS2-level game, I'm just not going to.

Easy enough for everyone.

There are fates FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR worse for JRPGs than having 32-bit era FPV battles and being on handhelds. I've seen it. You've seen it. It ain't pretty.

I really wish they'd go through and update all the art. They don't even have to change the designs, just make it more cohesive. I suppose it might be a lot of work, but it would fix some of my complaints about the more modern games.

It just goes to show how head and shoulders above most video game artists Kaneko is...

I didn't say it wasn't viable, but its viability was certainly in question after Persona took off. Hell, it even shows with how much cheaper the development budget looks for SMTIV in comparison to III.
But persona and SMT are like polar opposites, I'm not sure how a entirely different series affects the other. Does dragon quest success in Japan affect final fantasy? Nope. Does 2d Mario sells affect 3d Mario? Nope.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

It's all relative. I'm sure it was profitable. The 110k Persona 4 sold in NA is 'not even close to good' compared to annual CoD numbers, so what standards are we applying here? They're decent numbers for a port of an old Saturn game.

20-30K is downright terrible. You can't spin it. That is maybe about $60-80K in revenue? That is barely even enough to fund a mobile phone/indie game.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
20-30K is downright terrible. You can't spin it. That is maybe about $60-80K in revenue? That is barely even enough to fund a mobile phone/indie game.
You think US sales of such games are "funding" the development? How much do you think that port did cost Atlus?

Daimaou

If they do so badly for them, why would they keep doing them? Soul Hackers isn't their first port to do sub-100k numbers.

And before you say "lol they went bankrupt," keep in mind that they've said their gaming division is their one profitable arm.

cj_iwakura

How did P2:IS sell in comparison?

Based on the OT activity, I'd wager 10-20.
Copies.

It did well enough in Japan to warrant EP happening(which then bombed), but it did poorly here. I think the fan translation and poor reviews didn't help.

So the hardcore didn't buy it, and the non-familiar didn't either.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
PS3 or 3ds. my 2 cents

I don't see why people think good SMT sales mean Persona will perform best on 3DS. The fanbases don't have too much over lap and Persona has never been on a Nintendo platform. Chances are Persona 5 will perform best on PS3.

But persona and SMT are like polar opposites, I'm not sure how a entirely different series affects the other. Does dragon quest success in Japan affect final fantasy? Nope. Does 2d Mario sells affect 3d Mario? Nope.
Well there's a reason SMTIV is now using old sprites in battles and dated presentation after the very forward thinking SMTIII. And why Persona 5 will most likely have even better production values than Persona 3/4 ;)

These are the numbers niche games like Atelier and Etrian Odyssey regularly sell in NA and yet they keep getting localised. Again, Soul Hackers is an old port. The game already sold ~100k in Japan. I don't think they expected anything much more.

Herla

I only desire two things:

1. it has to come out for a region free platform
2. it doesn't have to be a DLC fest

They managed to deflate any kind of hype I had for SMT4, I don't want it to happen again.

Dantis

I only desire two things:

1. it has to come out for a region free platform
2. it doesn't have to be a DLC fest

They managed to deflate any kind of hype I had for SMT4, I don't want it to happen again.

I think DLC is a given, though I'm all in for costume DLC. There's so much potential for crossover costumes, and I love that kind of thing.

Based on the OT activity, I'd wager 10-20.
Copies.

It did well enough in Japan to warrant EP happening(which then bombed), but it did poorly here. I think the fan translation and poor reviews didn't help.

So the hardcore didn't buy it, and the non-familiar didn't either.

And some got riled up people boycotted Arena for the RL instead of this due to apathy. Man oh man.

This is totally going to happen.

As are the willpower-less gamers enabling it.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
These are the numbers niche games like Atelier and Etrian Odyssey regularly sell in NA and yet they keep getting localised. Again, Soul Hackers is an old port. The game already sold ~100k in Japan. I don't think they expected anything much more.

Then Atelier and Etrian Odyssey sell downright terrible numbers as well. I don't see any contradiction.

I didn't know this before, but I now see why many Japanese companies simply don't bother localising their games. The numbers are just plain terrible when 20-30K sales can be called 'decent'. 60-80K in revenue, and maybe 20K in profit after cutting out all the costs? Man, they are practically doing their fanbase a favour by bringing over those games. If I were a businessman, I'd hardly think it is worth the effort.

Herla

I think DLC is a given, though I'm all in for costume DLC. There's so much potential for crossover costumes, and I love that kind of thing.

Costumes would be fine, I just don't want a repeat of the Archangels crap.
And with Index out of the picture (?) maybe they won't have to do it...

NeonZ

Nocturne did 250k (not including the mania edition which did 77k). SMT IV is pretty much in line with it, which is nice and all but let's not act like it's their best selling game ever.

SMT 4 is slightly above Nocturne while taking an obvious budget cut with the 2d battles (and cutscenes) though. Also, in addition to the 2d battles/events, it doesn't even have much new artwork for the monsters... It's pretty clear they were very budget conscious while designing the game, focusing their resources on the 3d exploration areas, which do look pretty good.

Anyway, I'm surprised that there are people who seriously expect Persona on a Nintendo console. It'll obviously go to one of Sony's systems. The 3DS hasn't even gotten a Persona port yet.

Then Atelier and Etrian Odyssey sell downright terrible numbers as well. I don't see any contradiction.

I didn't know this before, but I now see why many Japanese companies simply don't bother localising their games. The numbers are just plain terrible when 20-30K sales can be called 'decent'. 60-80K in revenue, and maybe 20K in profit after cutting out all the costs? Man, they are practically doing their fanbase a favour by bringing over those games. If I were a businessman, I'd hardly think it is worth the effort.

Again I ask, what standards are we using here? I can make the exact same argument that Persona 4's numbers are terrible because I set an arbitrary standard for good sales, but instead I prefer to look at it in terms of how likely the costs are to be recouped and relative to the effort that seemingly went into development. Soul Hackers was a game made years ago, go figure...

cj_iwakura

SMT 4 is slightly above Nocturne while taking an obvious budget shortcut with the 2d battles though. Also, in addition to the 2d battles, it doesn't even have much new artwork for the monsters... It's pretty clear they were very budget conscious while designing the game.

Anyway, I'm surprised that there are people who seriously expect Persona on a Nintendo console. It'll obviously go to one of Sony's systems. The 3DS hasn't even gotten a Persona port yet.

Most core SMT fans, myself included, are stunned SMTIV even happened. I never thought they'd bother with the core series again after SJ.

SMT 3 is slightly above Nocturne while taking an obvious budget shortcut with the 2d battles though. Also, in addition to the 2d battles, it doesn't even have much new artwork for the monsters... It's pretty clear they were very budget conscious while designing the game.
Yes but the nocturne engine is the same exact engine and has the same exact models that atlus has been using for an entire decade. The same goes for SMT IV with it reusing strange journey's models (irc). Nocturne didn't have that many demons and a lot palette swaps irc. I'm sure that neither games are breaking the bank.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Again I ask, what standards are we using here? I can make the exact same argument that Persona 4's numbers are terrible because I set an arbitrary standard for good sales, but instead I prefer to look at it in terms of how likely the costs are to be recouped and relative to the effort that seemingly went into development. Soul Hackers was a game made years ago, go figure...

It seems you and I have differing opinions on how games are made. I don't believe business is done to recoup costs. I believe they are done to make profit, and these profit will go on to make their next game, and therefore absolute numbers totally matters. But I see you are beyond convincing, and I am not here to argue, so let's just agree to have different opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom