• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indiana GOP expanded early voting in GOP-dominated areas & restricted it in Dem-areas

The Republican motto is basically "You have the right to vote, but we have the right to make it as difficult as humanly possible".

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
giphy.gif

That smile right at the end says yes though.

digdug2k

No wonder they're winning elections, they're just constantly rigging them to win. Between the gerrymandering, voter disenfranchisement, and voter tactics they're poising themselves to win even if they get minority votes.
They're fighting to preserve our Democracy, by making sure only their votes count. God bless them all.

Seriously, if you live in one of these places, make a fuss. Go to city council meetings. Write people. Write the news papers/tv-stations. Its fucking local. Your voice can actually be loud. Some low-level local reporter is just itching to dig into this shit. And hearing them claim "No one seems really interested in it" just boils my blood.

jiiikoo

Banned
Ah yes, the United States of America. Known all around the world as the shining beacon of democracy and the will o’ the people. Lol.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
By allowing them to keep doing this you are encouraging them that their ideology is true. That wealthy white men are clever and more dedicated, and get their objectives achieved as a result.

Fuck, you need to fix this.

Biske

If things keep going at this rate, America is going to be a spectacular historical example to the rest of the world about how democracy fails, unless it is rigorously reinforced with education. Once your voters become ignorant, democracy becomes a stupid idea.

So American democracy will fail then.

Just moved to Marion county (Indianapolis) last week. I used to live in Elkhart county, a Republican hotbed, but worked in the adjacent St. Joseph county. St Joseph county has South Bend and mayor Pete, and is like the only true swing district here (one of like 3 counties to go for Hillary). Mayor Pete shows so much potential, I just don't see how he gets elected to a statewide office, especially with bullshit like this going on.
Welcome to the neighborhood!

digdug2k

"Black voters should have done to prevent Trump from winning!"

Well it's just the restricting of black votes, so it's merely a difference in political opinion
I wonder if Dems could take the same bullshit arguments the GOP makes for the electoral college (those poor poor farmers would never have their needs addressed), and use it to campaign for doubling the value of minorities votes.

The real question is how is a single GOP election board person blocking the expansion of early voting stations in Marion County?

How the fuck is that even a thing if all the other election board members are in favor?

A good common sense law is that there needs to be a set amount of stations based on population, while also mandating that they be evenly distributed (so as to avoid a loophole of clumping the stations so as to keep portions of the county away from them).

The real question is how is a single GOP election board person blocking the expansion of early voting stations in Marion County?

How the fuck is that even a thing if all the other election board members are in favor?

More than likely it's because this is something that has to pass unanimously, which is kinda weird but not necessarily crazy on a city/county level.

aeolist

Banned
it's always amazing to me when people here and elsewhere try to argue that shit like trump getting elected is proof of the electorate's stupidity when there's so many anti-democratic forces and institutions in this country ensuring unpopular results.

this country is designed from the ground up to keep the popular will from exercising power while maintaining a thin veneer of representative democracy.

Mathieran

Banned
Taking notes from the NCGOP I see. I hate these fuckers, every single one of them.

Can we please make voting a national holiday or even two days so that everyone can get much needed time to get their ballots in? I know it won't solve all the problems but it would help.

Remember, the real problem is actually voter fraud and we should expand efforts to stamp out voter fraud among those cheating Dems.

Hamilton County - 88.5% white, 3.5% black or African American

Marion County - 62.7% white, 26.7% black or African American

Oh, I know. I was just saying my expectations of the outcome in at least some courts. They'll ignore the racist intent of the law and cite party affiliation only.

But searching around, it appears SCOTUS recently narrowly voted that laws that on the surface which appear neutral, but in practice actually affect a protected class disproportionately is unconstitutional. So there's some hope for now. It was a 5-4 decision.

http://www.scotusblog.com/2015/06/paul-hancock-fha/

ISOM

Doing something like this should give people prison time. I don't know how suing is enough for this kind of shit.

Acerac

Banned
If things keep going at this rate, America is going to be a spectacular historical example to the rest of the world about how democracy fails, unless it is rigorously reinforced with education. Once your voters become ignorant, democracy becomes a stupid idea.
If it's any consolation, the goal of the media seems to be to keep the electorate ignorant.

If one has the express purpose of taking away power from those voting while making them feel empowered the US is a striking success. I'm sure many lessons will be taken from this period of American history, but I can't imagine they will be positive for the average person.

Top Bottom