• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indiana lawmaker proposing total abortion ban (surprise)

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: DANGIT, BAN, NOT PLAN! BAN! Can I get a title edit? I'm so mad I can't sentence.

Here we go.

State Rep. Curt Nisly, R-Goshen:

"It's time to bring the Roe v. Wade era to its logical conclusion," Nisly said. "My goal is to deregulate abortion right out of existence in Indiana."

The federal right to privacy, clarified by the U.S. Supreme Court in its 1973 Roe v. Wade decision and subsequent related rulings, prohibits a state from unduly interfering with a woman's decision to have an abortion prior to fetal viability, generally considered to be 20 to 24 weeks of pregnancy.

Nisly's proposed legislation is unconstitutional under that standard.

But the standard could change, as Trump has promised only to appoint anti-abortion justices to the U.S. Supreme Court and said Sunday he favors allowing individual states to decide whether abortion is permitted in their borders.

"The Supreme Court has been wrong before," Nisly said. "On issues like slavery, on segregation and a host of other issues, and they've reversed themselves, eventually."

Indiana law already declares that "human physical life begins when a human ovum is fertilized by a human sperm," and holds that abortion is a criminal act except when performed following very specific regulations that generally prohibit abortion beyond 12 weeks of pregnancy.

Nisly's plan would delete the regulations permitting abortion and treat all life as equal from the moment of conception, meaning the death of a fetus through abortion could be prosecuted identically to the murder of a child or an adult.

source

Ogodei

Wouldn't that criminalize some forms of birth control? If you define it as before the fertilized zygote is even implanted on the uterine wall...

ShyMel

I can only imagine how many other state legislators are writing up similar bills as we speak. Outlawing abortion doesn't stop women from getting them, just makes them try more riskier methods unfortunately.

Alucrid

Banned
maybe we can depend on governors to help fight to maintain women's rights. i mean the governor of indiana is ...

oh

wait, that's right

pashmilla

Banned
What is with all these dudes trying to control women's bodies? Are they compensating for something? I just don't understand it.

Blader

I can only imagine how many other state legislators are writing up similar bills as we speak. Outlawing abortion doesn't stop women from getting them, just makes them try more riskier methods unfortunately.
Yep. True to form, all this will do is impose new suffering on women living in red states.

Planned Parenthood and the Center for Reproductive Rights, people. They need your fucking support. It's been shown that the right gives 2 fucks about women's health. It's been shown that they'll use whatever manipulation necessary to paint abortion as some sort of pagan practice. It's been shown that the fundamentalists on their side often breed dangerous and violent individuals who are willing to take the lives of living people for the sake of "the babies". Now that they're feeling their oats, they'll be going ham. Donate, Protest, Support and Vote. Don't sit on this shit.

Planned Parenthood and the Center for Reproductive Rights, people. They need your fucking support. It's been shown that the right gives 2 fucks about women's health. It's been shown that they'll use whatever manipulation necessary to paint abortion as some sort of pagan practice. It's been shown that the fundamentalists on their side often breed dangerous and violent individuals who are willing to take the lives of living people for the sake of "the babies". Now that they're feeling their oats, they'll be going ham. Donate, Protest, Support and Vote. Don't sit on this shit.

Yes. Yes. Yes. $5 donation per month if you can. Please.

SeanTSC

If enacted into law, it would prohibit all abortion in Indiana in all circumstances and authorize the criminal prosecution of any doctor or woman who participates in an abortion.

Like.. just. Fuck. These people are just so OPENLY evil that it makes my brain hurt. I can't reconcile this any other way in my head other than just seeing anyone who supports monsters like this as being Bad People. To me, you are just unquestionably a bad person if you put these kind of people in power.

I'm so frustrated. I don't get it, I really don't. I don't get how someone can be such a huge piece of shit. It's just making me more and more angry as the days go by and there's only going to be more of this stuff and even worse things.

And it's so embarrassing. I feel ashamed to be an "American." Just, incredibly, deeply, ashamed.

God.

Ogodei

The great part is how he calls this deregulation.

Because bad government laws are regulation and good government laws are deregulation, ergo government laws dictating whether a zygote should implant must be deregulation.

You could call this law "banning periods," because of what happens to some zygotes.

Anti-abortion activists are unintelligent and dangerous. For fuck's sake, these laws don't stop abortions, they literally only serve as "feel good" actions for the religious right. They don't result in fewer abortions, they just result in more dangerous abortions.

Shadybiz

Yes. And just in case anyone does not know, or needs a reminder, Planned Parenthood does a LOT of stuff...a lot of which is preventing unwanted pregnancies from ever happening in the first place. This is from 2012, but actual abortion services were about 3% of services performed that year.

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/files/4013/9611/7243/Planned_Parenthood_Services.pdf

I swear...it's like these people think that PP is a bunch of doctors in blood-stained labcoats in an abortion assembly line. Stunning lack of knowledge.

Fades

Banned
Anti-abortion activists are unintelligent and dangerous. For fuck's sake, these laws don't stop abortions, they literally only serve as "feel good" actions for the religious right. They don't result in fewer abortions, they just result in more dangerous abortions.

Well, they DO result in fewer abortions, but also more children born into neglect, abuse, poverty, and as wards of the state, with higher risk of health issues (the aforementioned poverty, and because PP does more than abortions) and a lower quality of life for mother and unwanted child. Because "pro-life" only matters until birth, then fuck 'em.

What about those guns laws though? Not worth it since there will always be people who can get their hands on gunz, am I right? If you can't stop all of them it's not worth it! Not with abortions though! There's no chance in hell people will illegally get abortions anyway! That's different!

Korigama

"The Supreme Court has been wrong before," Nisly said. "On issues like slavery, on segregation and a host of other issues, and they've reversed themselves, eventually."
This comparison is one of the most infuriatingly, ridiculously idiotic things I've read in what has already been a profoundly awful week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom