• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indiana lawmaker proposing total abortion ban (surprise)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
This comparison is one of the most infuriatingly, ridiculously idiotic things I've read in what has already been a profoundly awful week.

There aren't a whole lot of other examples where the court overturned itself. One of the only other ones are gay sex laws.

Mississippi tried fetal personhood. The whole goal here - which is in the source - is to get this to a conservative-leaning SCOTUS. To overturn Roe v. Wade. Indiana is just a staging ground. Makes me fucking sick.

It passed 7-2 with a pretty conservative court so hopefully if it is challenged it will be upheld

That was before the Religious Right dug its claws into the Republican party though. Roe v Wade was the thing that was propagandized and the rallying point of the movement that has lead to the GOP we see today.

Trump wants to appoint a Justice with the intention of overturning Roe v Wade, so I wouldn't be so sure about that if this happens to make it up to the SCOTUS.

If the apocalypse hits and Trump get 4 new justices, I still don't think it would be overruled. Re-adding another Scalia isn't going to change anything about abortion. Removing rights granted over 30 years ago by an entirely different court is just not the usual business of the Supreme Court.

Welp, one of the judges Trump has on his list believes gay people should be jailed for sex in their own homes, so really anything's fucking possible, I guess. Why do we even need a Constitution at this point?

maybe we can depend on governors to help fight to maintain women's rights. i mean the governor of indiana is ...

oh

wait, that's right
Hey, to be fair, Mitch Daniels would have had this bill killed before it got to his desk. A kind of legislative abortion...

I don't know if Holcomb will be able to do the same, but he damn well better.

Selner

Wouldn't that criminalize some forms of birth control? If you define it as before the fertilized zygote is even implanted on the uterine wall...

And don't forget IVF. This would probably criminalize many forms of IVF.

I can't imagine they would be ok with freezing fertilized eggs (blastocysts) if they're considering those to be "people".

My wife and I started with something like 12 fertilized eggs (yes that's alot, and not typical). We got 5 blasts out of those.

Three become our children, one was a negative frozen cycle and the last we donated.

Would all of those "lost" fertilized eggs be considered "murders"? That's crazy.

Something like this would probably put fertility clinics out of business.

So people who don't want kids are forced to have them, and people who want kids are denied an option. Crazy.

legbone

so he must be anti capital punishment!

yeah right, and i know you know better, but i still gotta say it. it seems pro lifers are always pro death penalty (ok, i shouldn't use the word always).

ok, so they are trying to push the us back to the 50's it seems. roe v wade would put them to 74 and earlier. lets hope they go so far back that we get to the progressive taxes of the 50's etc that actually taxed the rich properly. then maybe we will be able to afford to become a progressive country again. there's a twist for ya. now that my little fictional daydream of a better country is over, i'll go back to be worried for all of our rights. it just seems that women will take the first significant hit (unless there is some other stripping of rights going on that wasn't prior to the election, ie 4th amendment). i swear, we will probably get to the point that the only amendment in the bill of rights to go unsullied will be the 2nd. at least then i will still be able to buy a gun and end it all (i'm not suicidal i swear, just being hyperbolic).

Keri

That's good method to raise the mortality of pregnant women even higher than it already is in the US.

Yup and it's already much higher than it should be. If Trump is able to pack the Supreme Court with conservative justices, women will absolutely die as a result. Here's hoping Ginsberg hangs in there (along with Breyer and Kennedy).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom