• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why can't I define a method with optional parameters inside a MonoBehaviour?
I get a warning that the names of the file it is in doesn't match, but my game doesn't crash, it just halts all ingame objects that use that class?

I have to move that method into its own class(nested also doesn't work) and away from any file where a class derived from MonoBehaviour is in.
I can then instantiate it inside a MonoBehaviour Object and use it just fine o_O
Really weird but it works now.

Huh? You can use optional parameters in a MonoBehaviour just fine, I do it all the time. Have you renamed your behaviour class recently? The error about the file name not matching the class name means that, say, the TestClass class must be declared in a file named TestClass.cs. It's not directly related to method parameters at all. Did you maybe rename the class and not the file? Or maybe you just inadvertently changed the class name?

razu

Step one towards uniting the chopper game with the boat game! :D

oR1aoPa.png

Alts

I've been working on cyberpunk jam this week. I've been getting way too into this one and probably won't finish it completely by the deadline, but at least I've gotten something interesting to work on out of it!

It's a metroidvania set in a futuristic Heian era Kyoto... which hangs upside down from the sky. You play an onmyouji hacker/magician. I swear all of this makes sense in context.

Early screen of one of the first areas (it's a bit more complex now).

3oL9IbB.gif
sQK0r5u.gif

The hacking mechanic requires you to find symbols in nature to use in hacking/spells. These are water and fire respectively.

mmcY40Z.gif

An upside down forest with a ribbon pathway beneath it.

The big thing I just finished working on today, the techno shrine where you start the game and find your first symbol/other tutorial nonsense. I could have just screencapped it but it had to be gif'ed for its full magnificence.

This looks gorgeous. Quoting so hopefully more people see it

I made my first batch of variable width fonts. It takes considerably more time than monospaced but wasn't -that- bad. Still bitmap fonts because I hate how unpredictable vectors look at low resolution without anti-aliasing... and also because outline fonts take a century to make and it's awful.

NTiHHuz.png

qK4ZjO4.png

I am leaning towards the third font. Although it's the least space efficient, I like a heavier stroke--always preferred beefy SNES fonts intended for old CRT TVs compared to the wispy pixel-thin fonts on GBA/DS. What I may do is take the middle font and then straighten the curves to match the bottom's style, so that I still have those sexy straight lines but with slightly more space efficient lowercase characters.

An update. Some animating water (I know, kind of hard to see, I'll work on that), and the enemy AI for the bowman is complete, including the special aspect of actually shooting arrows at you :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsjqCwFeAno

Edit - For the water, I'm stealing the Secret of Mana approach. The animating part is actually moving dirt that is underneath the water, then I have a water tile on top with a transparency. Later I will add a separate actually animating water tile (this will have two layers of animation, the water effect, and the transparent moving dirt underneath). It also needs water-land connector tiles.

Jack_AG

Banned
Note: I am doing all sprite work and I don't do sprite work XD - my capabilities are far FAR lower than anyone in this thread when it comes to visuals so don't eviscerate me too bad.

So i'm working on level hazards today. Doing a typical lava/liquid/insta-kill hazard and here's my first run:
8ruGJBj.gif

I don't think it looks too shabby. I originally had each section flowing in a single direction but after playing a few Atari games for research - not many of them were this complex so I halved it and just flipped the sprite then replicated it.

Each vertical "slice" of liquid is it's own object with it's own animation. I am thinking I might write some light physics for it so it act's like the surface of water when the player falls in it. I kinda don't want to do this since it would venturing too far outside the realm of the Atari-ness I'm going for and kinda want to remain true to form, to an extent.

I may have over-stepped that boundary in other areas so I need to sit back and look at the whole picture, eventually and remove/add "eye candy" to make the experience more cohesive. Either way, I can still write the physics and see how it looks and save it for future 2D projects.

Now I just need to rig up 2 more enemies and 1 more level hazard and that's that outside of bosses and levels.

Mr. Virus

The codies managed to redo the level generating algorithm in Monstrum a bit (read here!). The important part about this is it's now giffable :D!

gen1_large_zps002cfe70.gif

loop_large_zps09597468.gif

Side on images taken from the editor, but still looks nice :).

hitsugi

An update. Some animating water (I know, kind of hard to see, I'll work on that), and the enemy AI for the bowman is complete, including the special aspect of actually shooting arrows at you :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsjqCwFeAno

Edit - For the water, I'm stealing the Secret of Mana approach. The animating part is actually moving dirt that is underneath the water, then I have a water tile on top with a transparency. Later I will add a separate actually animating water tile (this will have two layers of animation, the water effect, and the transparent moving dirt underneath). It also needs water-land connector tiles.

I may have missed you mentioning it before, but what are you developing this with?

missile

Beautiful. I really love the art style of yours.

Note: ...
No need to justify. xD

8ruGJBj.gif

I don't think it looks too shabby. ...
It begins!
Looks nice somehow. :D

... I originally had each section flowing in a single direction but after playing a few Atari games for research - not many of them
were this complex ...
Atari for research. Awesome! Am currently on the BBC Micro B doing some
research and programming -- dusting off some pretty old-school stuff I want to
use for my actual game. :+

Each vertical "slice" of liquid is it's own object with it's own animation. I am thinking I might write some light physics for it so it act's like the surface of water when the player falls in it. I kinda don't want to do ...
There is a special appeal in coupling old-school graphics with modern physics,
mind you. That's what I'm after at least. ;)

borius

Neo Member
The codies managed to redo the level generating algorithm in Monstrum a bit (read here!). The important part about this is it's now giffable :D!

gen1_large_zps002cfe70.gif

loop_large_zps09597468.gif

Side on images taken from the editor, but still looks nice :).

Survival horror on a derelict ship? count me in!

How do you plan to fit procedurally generated areas with a ship layout? (skimming through your blog right now)

Bollocks

Huh? You can use optional parameters in a MonoBehaviour just fine, I do it all the time. Have you renamed your behaviour class recently? The error about the file name not matching the class name means that, say, the TestClass class must be declared in a file named TestClass.cs. It's not directly related to method parameters at all. Did you maybe rename the class and not the file? Or maybe you just inadvertently changed the class name?

No, none of the above.

I have a Player class in Player.cs, doh and when I add this function:
Code:
        public void changeState(State newState, int foo = 3)
        {

}
I get this warning:
The class defined in script file named 'Player' does not match the file name!

If I delete/comment that function or at least delete that second argument, it works again o_O

Turfster

If I delete/comment that function or at least delete that second argument, it works again o_O

That should work, tho, I've done it too.
Have you tried resyncing the project/reimporting all assets to force recompile the script?
This is sounding like a Unity/Mono-derp.

That should work, tho, I've done it too.
Have you tried resyncing the project/reimporting all assets to force recompile the script?
This is sounding like a Unity/Mono-derp.

Yeah, it sounds weird. I'd try starting a very small test project to test just that one functionality.

SOLDIER

I was referred to this thread from elsewhere, so I thought I'd try to sell myself as a possible collaborator for hire (though I'm more in it for experience instead of money...can't usually earn the latter without the former, after all).

First off, I don't have any programming experience. I'm looking to change that by fiddling with some of the well-recommended game-making tools out there (starting with RPG Maker, which I received as a gift a few months back), but I've always felt my biggest asset was my writing.

I've done a lot of opinionated writing for games, mainly reviews and articles across many websites as a freelance writer (I can provide sources upon request). I've always wanted to get into creative writing and make something on my own, but I often lack the finer points in fully fleshing out an idea.

That's why it's always been my dream to collaborate with people on projects. I nearly achieved that with a couple of aspiring comic book artists, but typically they would lose interest or get caught up with real life roadblocks. Regardless, those short-term partnerships were where I felt the most comfortable, as well as the most driven.

So I'd like to try and sell myself a bit in this thread and see if any aspiring Indie devs would be interested in letting me contribute to their games as a writer, whether for character dialog or concepts. I'm always brainstorming and I've been playing and discussing games for the better part of my life. I'm always quick to respond and almost always available, so feel free to PM me or otherwise.

GulAtiCa

Sweet! Finally found a javascript class that triangulates a concave polygon into triangles. This helps me a lot, since my current physic engine I'm using for this physics-based puzzle game can only deal with convex polygons.

In other news, my Wii U game finally passed NOA lotcheck! Woo! I'm now in talks with Nintendo on potential release date while it's off to NCL for final check.

Apoc29

Why can't I define a method with optional parameters inside a MonoBehaviour?
I get a warning that the names of the file it is in doesn't match, but my game doesn't crash, it just halts all ingame objects that use that class?

I have to move that method into its own class(nested also doesn't work) and away from any file where a class derived from MonoBehaviour is in.
I can then instantiate it inside a MonoBehaviour Object and use it just fine o_O
Really weird but it works now.

Right-click the Project in Monodevelop, choose Options. In the Project Options window, select Build->General and set Target Framework to Mono / .NET 4.0 (it might be set to 3.5 or something).

Five

Banned
Have you guys heard of gfycat?

It turns big gifs into quick loading embeds that are apparently some kind of html5 video or something.

example: 22 megs to 2 megs

http://gfycat.com/NegligibleDevotedGalapagospenguin#

about gfycat: http://gfycat.com/about

This shit is awesome. It can be embedded on websites easily but as of yet I don't see any way to embed it on forums such as Neogaf. Either Neogaf or gfycat needs to figure out a way to make this happen.

All I know is Chrome keeps crashing in every tab that I open with a GFY in it. First time that I've seen the "Aw snap, something went wrong" page in a few months, actually.

But the idea's not bad.

Blizzard

Banned
Sweet! Finally found a javascript class that triangulates a concave polygon into triangles. This helps me a lot, since my current physic engine I'm using for this physics-based puzzle game can only deal with convex polygons.

In other news, my Wii U game finally passed NOA lotcheck! Woo! I'm now in talks with Nintendo on potential release date while it's off to NCL for final check.
Congratulations! Sorry I haven't been around the IRC channel much. I've been trying to stay off IRC when I'm working since it's a distraction, even if people are talking about game stuff. :p

Congrats man! All the best to you! Good luck with your game.

razu

As soon as I saw that screen, images of sim copter flashed before my eyes.

I'd never seen that!

Mike must feel lost in here! :D The boat will gun at Mike?

Ha. Nope, when you land on the water you'll transform into a boat and start controlling that. Then, if you sail to the edge of the lagoon you'll transform into a unimog 4x4 truck :D Then drive over a helipad to transform back to the chopper...! :D

Blizzard

Banned
I'd been using Visual Studio for a while both for my own projects and work projects, but I only just this week learned about something I should have known ages ago:

If you jump somewhere, for example because you searched for something in a file, you can jump backwards (even to different files) to all your previous locations by using Ctrl + '-'. Ctrl + Shift + '-' sends you back forward through the jump list.

It's the equivalent of Ctrl-O and Ctrl-I in VIM, which I'd probably known about and used for much longer. :p I had previously used the undo/redo trick to jump back to wherever I had previously been editing after jumping away, but this is better.

I'd been using Visual Studio for a while both for my own projects and work projects, but I only just this week learned about something I should have known ages ago:

If you jump somewhere, for example because you searched for something in a file, you can jump backwards (even to different files) to all your previous locations by using Ctrl + '-'. Ctrl + Shift + '-' sends you back forward through the jump list.

It's the equivalent of Ctrl-O and Ctrl-I in VIM, which I'd probably known about and used for much longer. :p I had previously used the undo/redo trick to jump back to wherever I had previously been editing after jumping away, but this is better.

This is helpful. Thanks. I usually use the "back" button on my mouse, but my work mouse doesn't have one.

razu

It is a super feature! I too learned of it years into my coding life.. felt so dumb.

Makai

Yay!

Social media also is an important part in the future, whenever you want to get new quests, track how your crew is doing, what do they think about you and others and other things are all visible through social media in Junkcraft Armada.

QuestLogAndFriends.png

Just started working on this concept 2 days ago, but I think will be interesting to see how your crew will provide feedback to the player , one of the things that bother me in most games is how easy is to replace a lost unit, like in any RTS game, just build another one and the result is the same for each unit, but in this game each crew member is different, each with different nuances, so learning about them is not a waste of time, actually can help improve the probability to finish the game or die trying.

More information at http://mysticrivergames.blogspot.jp/2014/03/quests-status-check-and-how-to-know.html

razu

It's Saturday! I have made something this week... behold my #screeshotsaturday!! :D

vt1ersh.png

I think I may indeed stick with Super Something Squad™ :D

That lagoon may look like nothing, but as a novice modeller, it was a royale pain up the assholes and no mistake!!! :D

EDarkness

Congrats, man! Hope everything works out for you.

Pehesse

Screenshot saturday! ...or is it asset saturday... ? Been stuck in animation land since the last update, so no new "screenshots" even though stuff is being made. Should be able to head back to the prototype soon to cram all those new movements in! (sorry about the terrible GIF quality and timings - since eventually this ends up in Construct 2 anyway, the timings get different since each frame gets its own length, but for now, it's basic 10FPS for everyone)

tumblr_inline_n15hhmStOR1rfzuuq.gif
tumblr_inline_n1ezzx8ohS1rfzuuq.gif
tumblr_inline_n1ezzpAMt81rfzuuq.gif

tumblr_inline_n1rm8sZ9pM1rfzuuq.gif
tumblr_inline_n2178gsZxL1rfzuuq.gif
tumblr_inline_n24jpbKvkL1rfzuuq.gif

and the latest WIP as a bonus!

tumblr_inline_n24jppqKyp1rfzuuq.gif

borius

Neo Member
Added water and isles to my 3d map:
GvxNRnG.gif

That's cool! What kind of game is that? any links so I can follow and read about it?

I needed a way to find testers for my recently released game and I've just found this reddit Play my Game I don't know if everyone knows it so here it is.

Screenshot saturday

BiKsjYnIIAAPFSB.jpg

It's an endless runner developed for the iv flappy jam (flappy bird inspired game of which we are going to follow their sales on the markets and we will produce some postmortems too)
I'm working on a update that will be released tomorrow night as weel as the iOS version.
Play Store - free

Have you guys heard of gfycat?

It turns big gifs into quick loading embeds that are apparently some kind of html5 video or something.

example: 22 megs to 2 megs

http://gfycat.com/NegligibleDevotedGalapagospenguin#

about gfycat: http://gfycat.com/about

This shit is awesome. It can be embedded on websites easily but as of yet I don't see any way to embed it on forums such as Neogaf. Either Neogaf or gfycat needs to figure out a way to make this happen.
You can also get the .webm file it generates: http://fat.gfycat.com/NegligibleDevotedGalapagospenguin.webm

Davision

Neo Member
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom