• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foshy

Anyone here ever uploaded a game to Kongregate or similar portals? I'm thinking of doing so with gyroboost, because why not. Is the process long? And how's ad revenue there?

Five

Banned
With GameMaker and Unity I feel like I'm giving up control. Like in GameMaker you can set the number of steps per second, like 30. That's great, except... What if it can't achieve 30? Will I know? The whole "room" thing to me is just odd. And I'm a bit worried about not having my OO toys. Is Unity's C# at least fully featured (C# 2.0 -- if not 5.0) at least?

GM:S has global variables "fps" and "fps_real". fps is the integer frame-rate capped at the room speed. fps_real is an extrapolation of the time it took to perform a frame's comp and draw (so a time of 10ms would show 100) despite still the game not necessarily actually running at the speed, since it's still capped at the room speed.

The room functionality is something I generally ignore. I just make one room and put my controller in there to start and handle everything. It's more a system for helping novices build separate levels than anything else.

Regarding OO stuff, I couldn't speak more to it unless you were more specific about what you're hoping to not have to abandon.

Turfster

Is Unity's C# at least fully featured (C# 2.0 -- if not 5.0) at least?
Don't worry, you can use LINQ. (It's sort of C# 4.0, but not entirely because Mono)
You can also basically write an entire game by just attaching one script to one empty game object in the Unity scene editor and doing everything else in code.

Unity is based on an older version of the Mono C# implementation. It's very much the native language for programming it. But based on what you've written I'd take a look at adding MonoGame to your evaluation before making a decision.

Oh, I'd forgotten about MonoGame -- I'll definitely check it out. I think it has support for fewer devices but the C# support is very welcome.

GM:S has global variables "fps" and "fps_real". fps is the integer frame-rate capped at the room speed. fps_real is an extrapolation of the time it took to perform a frame's comp and draw (so a time of 10ms would show 100) despite still the game not necessarily actually running at the speed, since it's still capped at the room speed.

The room functionality is something I generally ignore. I just make one room and put my controller in there to start and handle everything. It's more a system for helping novices build separate levels than anything else.

Regarding OO stuff, I couldn't speak more to it unless you were more specific about what you're hoping to not have to abandon.

That's very interesting about the fps, thanks. Definitely would be helpful in knowing whether to skip some processing to get the framerate back up should it dip below the target fps. That's awesome that the room stuff can be ignored, that helps.

As for OO, I have for instance a Map<T> class where T is a MapNode. I have SquareMap<T> and HexMap<T> subclasses that implement square and hex grids, respectively (and other types would be possible too). I have a Pathfinder<T> class that operates on MapNodes and calls the Map<T> to get adjacent MapNodes and their costs, for example. It's neat because pathfinding is oblivious to the layout of the underlying map (could even have a GraphMap<T> that isn't even a typical regular map) and the map can be switched out on the fly. Anyhow, that's just an example, I'm just pretty fond of generics and re-usable code.

Don't worry, you can use LINQ. (It's sort of C# 4.0, but not entirely because Mono)
You can also basically write an entire game by just attaching one script to one empty game object in the Unity scene editor and doing everything else in code.

Awesome! LINQ is welcome, for sure (though have to be a bit careful with it as it can be a little expensive), but that also means it likely has generics as well. Edit: Just looked, looks like Mono C# is 4.0 -- fantastic!

Five

Banned
As for OO, I have for instance a Map<T> class where T is a MapNode. I have SquareMap<T> and HexMap<T> subclasses that implement square and hex grids, respectively (and other types would be possible too). I have a Pathfinder<T> class that operates on MapNodes and calls the Map<T> to get adjacent MapNodes and their costs, for example. It's neat because pathfinding is oblivious to the layout of the underlying map (could even have a GraphMap<T> that isn't even a typical regular map) and the map can be switched out on the fly. Anyhow, that's just an example, I'm just pretty fond of generics and re-usable code.

Hmm, yeah. You'd want to do this differently. Objects in GameMaker are inefficient for abstract purposes: each object in GM has a sprite index, animation stack, velocity, friction, collision data and more, so making an object for each map node would be wildly inefficient although technically possible if you ignore most of the built-in functionality.

Although there is support for data structures like maps and hash tables, and of course 1- and 2-D arrays, I think you'd have to go about doing certain things differently.

klaus

You want to stay away from GameMaker if you like proper OO support and a generic codebase - although GM is powerful and versatile in its own way, and great for creating 2d games, its language (GML) is a lot like BASIC with most of its limitations - at least it was so in the version I was using a few years ago.

I personally recommend trying out Unity - although it has its roots as a 3d engine, the 2d tools are solid and you have very deep control via scripting in c#. If you want, you can create a whole game just from code, and it's easy to control the fps / quality settings etc. - you can even have the game logic run in a separate timing loop in order to be framerate independent.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
here's one more screenshot using the natural bloom + dirty lens image effect we're working on :D

2014-04-19_020403.jpg

Saw this on the Unity forum too. Looking good.

V_Arnold

How would you use OpenGL as a fallback? I'm making HTML 5 games with construct 2, and am curious because the lack of hardware acceleration on XP and vista through node webkit has been frustrating. Currently I'm using the --ignore-gpu-blacklist flag to get around it, but it only works when launched from a shortcut with a modified target, but that's still better than no solution at all (of course, that's not going to help playing a game over the internet in chrome, I can't ask users to turn off the blacklist to play it). So yeah, I'm interested in hearing about any other options available.

I used the word fallback in quotes because usually it is the other way around. (As in: you try getting the 3d context for your canvas, which is the webGL one, and if it is not supported, you create a 2d canvas instead).

But even if you allow the users to choose between canvas and webGl rendering, you will need have something as an intermediate link between your objects and the renderer. I created myself a camera class which gets stuff thrown at it like ClearRequests and DrawRequests, and each frame, it processes all the requests. Now, since one is intermediate mode rendering, other is retained mode rendering, I would assume that I would need to maintain a list of objects that send their data and positions each frame (WebGL), and filter the same list depending if the object changed or not for Canvas rendering (2d context).

I have no knowledge of the construct library however, but I would assume that you have no such direct control over your preferred rendering methods there. I know that stuff like pixi.js uses webGl as default rendering with canvas fallback, though.

Ok gaf, i want to make an infinite runner for mobile phones. what's the best way to go about learning how to do this?

I've been thinking about programming a game for a while now but i have zero experience. but i have a fun idea for an infinite runner. seems easy enough to pull off. simple and fun like flappy bird. nothing fancy.

so how long would it take to create something from scratch with no previous knowledge that is like Mr. Flap or flappy bird?

edit: note I'm not copying that outright. just it's a simple enough idea as that was.

Raide

Ok gaf, i want to make an infinite runner for mobile phones. what's the best way to go about learning how to do this?

I've been thinking about programming a game for a while now but i have zero experience. but i have a fun idea for an infinite runner. seems easy enough to pull off. simple and fun like flappy bird. nothing fancy.

so how long would it take to create something from scratch with no previous knowledge that is like Mr. Flap or flappy bird?

edit: note I'm not copying that outright. just it's a simple enough idea as that was.

Zero programming experience or just zero game designing/making experience?

You could get into any of the currently available engines and see how you get on. Some can be tough to figure out if you have no programming knowledge but the communities for most of these engines (GAF too) can offer advice and help as required.

Start by making the most simplistic version of your idea, and then see how it goes. There are a handful of easy to start with engines that will get your idea up and running but you may find the idea matures and becomes more suited to a particular engine.

FYC

Banned
Just starting out in Game Maker Studio(and programming in general), I've finished the Clown/Fruit/1945 tutorials. Any other tutorials y'all think are essential? I'd like to make a 2.5D FPS, so I suppose I can skip stuff like touchscreen controls for now.

Oh, and I'm having trouble finding tutorials for an FPS. From lurking the GM forums, it seems like YoYo had one on their tutorial page but it's gone now.

eot

Banned
I'm in a bit of a quandary deciding what platform to commit to for my next development effort.

Background: Coding for 30 years, 20 professionally, last 12 in C#. Hobbyist programmer mostly with C#/XNA for the last couple of years.

Look into SDL. Easy to get started with and is supported on lots of platforms. Out of the box it won't do everything you need it to, but it's very extensible. You can use OpenGL for graphics, box2d for physics etc.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So let's say I wanted to start making a game in my free time, I'd like to start with minimal graphic needs in order to keep iteration flexibility high; that means I have no idea if I want to make the game 2D or 3D and will figure it out as I go along. I'd like to make something RPGish, so the first thing I would do is a basic stats system where if you have enough points in one stat you can equip an item or some such, nothing complex.

I know of RGP Maker but really it's quite limited in terms of what it can do visually and other aspects.

I'm guessing that Unreal/Unity/CryEngine would be good, except if I eventually decide to go entirely 2D, but I think I would always go 3D anyway but maybe limited in terms of camera control (FFT-like, etc.).

Any suggestion? I have experience with Unreal and CryEngine-like engines and 3D graphics, no coding experience, but I can learn.

Raide

So let's say I wanted to start making a game in my free time, I'd like to start with minimal graphic needs in order to keep iteration flexibility high; that means I have no idea if I want to make the game 2D or 3D and will figure it out as I go along. I'd like to make something RPGish, so the first thing I would do is a basic stats system where if you have enough points in one stat you can equip an item or some such, nothing complex.

I know of RGP Maker but really it's quite limited in terms of what it can do visually and other aspects.

I'm guessing that Unreal/Unity/CryEngine would be good, except if I eventually decide to go entirely 2D, but I think I would always go 3D anyway but maybe limited in terms of camera control (FFT-like, etc.).

Any suggestion? I have experience with Unreal and CryEngine-like engines and 3D graphics, no coding experience, but I can learn.

Not better time to jump into UE4 and have a play. Thats what I am doing at the moment. I have no coding background at all, so I am using tutorials and community interaction to find out.

You don't need a thought out plan for a game but it does help to have some direction. Start with simple cubes and get them running around. Then add some interaction with other cubes/pickups etc and go from there. Don't worry too much about art, focus on the core ideas. They might be the most simple RPG mechanics but at least you will learn.

Most of the above stuff seems pretty quick to do in UE4, even stuff like text pop-up boxes, health bars etc. All can be done with their Blueprint (Visual Scripting) stuff. No coding needed.

Again, start with the basics and when you're happy, move on to more complex things. That way you will actually feel like your're getting somewhere. :D

If you have some Unreal experience, UE4 could be a good fit.

Not better time to jump into UE4 and have a play. Thats what I am doing at the moment. I have no coding background at all, so I am using tutorials and community interaction to find out.

You don't need a thought out plan for a game but it does help to have some direction. Start with simple cubes and get them running around. Then add some interaction with other cubes/pickups etc and go from there. Don't worry too much about art, focus on the core ideas. They might be the most simple RPG mechanics but at least you will learn.

Most of the above stuff seems pretty quick to do in UE4, even stuff like text pop-up boxes, health bars etc. All can be done with their Blueprint (Visual Scripting) stuff. No coding needed.

Again, start with the basics and when you're happy, move on to more complex things. That way you will actually feel like your're getting somewhere. :D

Have a link to UE4 tutorials?

Amirai

I used the word fallback in quotes because usually it is the other way around. (As in: you try getting the 3d context for your canvas, which is the webGL one, and if it is not supported, you create a 2d canvas instead).

But even if you allow the users to choose between canvas and webGl rendering, you will need have something as an intermediate link between your objects and the renderer. I created myself a camera class which gets stuff thrown at it like ClearRequests and DrawRequests, and each frame, it processes all the requests. Now, since one is intermediate mode rendering, other is retained mode rendering, I would assume that I would need to maintain a list of objects that send their data and positions each frame (WebGL), and filter the same list depending if the object changed or not for Canvas rendering (2d context).

I have no knowledge of the construct library however, but I would assume that you have no such direct control over your preferred rendering methods there. I know that stuff like pixi.js uses webGl as default rendering with canvas fallback, though.

Ah, ok. Construct actually does let you choose and automatically uses canvas2d if webgl is not available, but it won't help for node webkit because they disabled hardware acceleration on XP and vista for everything, including that.

Have a question for the devs here.

I follow a lot of Kickstarters, and many have high stretch goals to bring their game to various consoles. One of the recent campaigns like this is Hover: Revolt of Gamers. The game is already coming to PC, PS4, and Xbox One, but has the Wii U version at an 100K stretch goal

From a developer's perspective, why would a port to Wii U need such a high price tag? Is the programming language different than the one used on the other platforms? Is it because the devs would have to craft new features that work wth a touch screen? I'm curious about the possible reasons

I follow a lot of Kickstarters, and many have high stretch goals to bring their game to various consoles. One of the recent campaigns like this is Hover: Revolt of Gamers. The game is already coming to PC, PS4, and Xbox One, but has the Wii U version at an 100K stretch goal

From a developer's perspective, why would a port to Wii U need such a high price tag? Is the programming language different than the one used on the other platforms? Is it because the devs would have to craft new features that work wth a touch screen? I'm curious about the possible reasons
From my understanding, the numbers are usually pulled out of their asses and have no real correlation with each goal. It's just, "if we reach this, we will do this".

Turfster

There's some guesstimating involved, but for example, for consoles, devkits aren't free either and run in the many thousands of dollars - each. If you're using something like Unity, different build platforms also cost thousands of dollars (since everyone on the team has to have a license too)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

I can still do some coding right? Cause I would like to learn to code as well:)

Oh, you certainly can. You get full source access so you can modify the engine as well as write game code if you want. It's C++, so it's not necessarily...beginner friendly when it comes to the code side, but as long as you start small you'll be fine - and you'll learn a lot!

Raide

Have a link to UE4 tutorials?

https://www.youtube.com/user/UnrealDevelopmentKit/playlists

Starts off pretty basic and heads towards more advanced territory but there are other sites with stuff as well.

Yup! The Blueprint stuff will start to tweak your brain towards coding anyway. You start to think in the way that a coder might even when you visual script.

Started doing my first section of the ship. I was intending on doing procedural generation and still may do procedural object positions but for now i am hand crafting each section and will probably randomly choose between them

Engine : Unity
Extras : Scifi Objects Pack , Turn Based Toolkit

hullbreach4.jpg

I am going for an xcom meets spelunky game, with random level generation and a single squad with upgrades.

EDarkness

Hey guys. I'm looking for a concept artist for Skullforge. I'm looking for a particular style (something like Joe Madureia or a cross between anime and western style comic books), but I'm open to new ideas as this is a collaborative effort. Send me a PM if you're interested, or have some ideas. Thanks.

I need some help!
I am trying to recreate a basic fighting game movement in Unity. So far in most tutorials I found, you move your character left or right with his animation flipping on the X axis. I am searching for a tutorial that could help me script different animations depending of the movement: forward or backward.
Also I need to move my character forward and backward depending oo the position of the second character and I don't know how to write it simply enough to find a tutorial or help on the web.

Any help or interesting links? :/

missile

EDIT: missile, your retro filter and GB dither effects look fantastic.
You know, I'd love to see a Dudebro II screenshot with your retro filter applied.
Glad you like it, yet it isn't even a fraction of what will come. Well, I
think I can give Dudebro II a pretty cool and quite distinctive look with the
results that will come out of the Retro Engine. However, for the time being,
I've put the dither stuff to rest, but I will be back on it once the video and
CRT components are near completion. I will show much more sophisticated
dithering techniques using amplitude and frequency halftoning techniques
combined with color reproduction. Currently am working towards the right
treatment of the video component and then towards the CRT component. And I
think I can apply some of this this stuff to Dudebro II as well, since this
game is a nice fit in many ways.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Hey guys i want your honest opinion on this character for a sort of fighting game:
lein.png

this is just a neutral pose and the character is not finished but pretend it is. My aim is to use a clean and sober "art"(if we can call this way...)style, my questions are:

1)
did you understand the character is a girl? I don't want her to be blatantly feminine but i want to be clear she is a girl
2)does it look cheap or bad?
3)are proportion good? There's something wrong?
4)are legs and jacket too simple? Do they need more details?
5)suggestions?

V_Arnold

Yeah,
That is a man there. Problem is, muscle proportions are different on women. You can make it look more authentic by researching some fitness/muscular-type women online.

Otherwise, I would change the hair, it maches *exactly* with the clothing's color, and that exactness is pretty cheap, imho (and it is also a bit off-putting to me). Also, work on dat chin! You are not portraying Matt Smith!

so, how many here have started using ue4? i'm wondering if there is enough included content/assets that i, as a programmer with no graphical abilities, could build my own game solely out of what comes with it. sound/music i can handle on my own.

Raide

so, how many here have started using ue4? i'm wondering if there is enough included content/assets that i, as a programmer with no graphical abilities, could build my own game solely out of what comes with it. sound/music i can handle on my own.

The basics are there and you can make your own materials etc but most of the actual content you with either get free or pay for....or make yourself.

If you want to get a prototype up and running, then there is enough to get that working and it is fairly simple to swap out the basic geometry for some more detailed models down the line.

The basics are there and you can make your own materials etc but most of the actual content you with either get free or pay for....or make yourself.

If you want to get a prototype up and running, then there is enough to get that working and it is fairly simple to swap out the basic geometry for some more detailed models down the line.

i appreciate you answering my question, but i'm not quite sure what you are trying to say here.

klaus

Hey guys i want your honest opinion on this character for a sort of fighting game:

this is just a neutral pose and the character is not finished but pretend it is. My aim is to use a clean and sober "art"(if we can call this way...)style, my questions are:

1)
did you understand the character is a girl? I don't want her to be blatantly feminine but i want to be clear she is a girl
5)suggestions?

On first glimpse, I thought it was a man - shoulders are a bit broad, muscle definition is also rather male-like, plus waist is rather slim for a woman.
2. Doesn't look cheap to me, quality is fine. Perhaps the muscle definition could be improved a bit (anatomy books help there).
3. The thighs are too long for a "normal" human being, but that may be a choice of style..
4. I would like to see some more details - the color palette seems a bit bland, perhaps some different shades of the colors already present could enhance the look.
5. I wonder what the belt / sheath thing is about, the character makes me think of a mixture of medieval adventurer & cyberpunk goth - could be helpful to define the character's background in detail, that makes it a lot easier to decide on equipment / details etc., since characters that "fit" into a given narrative / setting tend to appear more appealing / convincing.

Raide

i appreciate you answering my question, but i'm not quite sure what you are trying to say here.

The internet is full of free to download content. Basic models, textures etc. You can also buy more professional stuff. UE4 has access to some gun packs that cost money.

Or you can learn some 3d modelling and make your own.

I should have fleshed out my explanation a bit better. Sorry :D

lein.png

1)
5)suggestions?
I had no idea it was a girl and I would have never guessed it to be. Now I can see it though and it'll be fine once the audio is in place. I thought it looks like The Crow. She looks like a character from Dive Kick which can be good or bad depending on what you are going for.

Everything else depends on what your plans are. I feel like the animation will be boned and rotate (like an action figure) instead of each frame being hand drawn. If that's the case, it looks fine. Everything is proportioned fine, imo.

And she's obviously on Cobra's side :p

Raide

This is a dangerous statement.
Not everything on free sites is actually free, and quite a lot of content is unsuited for actual game usage.
</pedant>

If anyone is thinking of making an actual game they want to sell, then making your own content is the way forward. If you just want to prototype something, just use the basics but the world FREE is used a little loosely where the internet in concerned. :D

Empirion

Neo Member
Guys and gals, my first game is now available (finally!).

I present you: Lazy Santa (yes, I know it's April!)

Title: Lazy Santa http://www.facebook.com/lazysantagame

Platform: iPad exclusive (iOS 7 Compatible)

Price: 99 cents $ / 89 cents € (Free version also available, with the first three levels)

Genre: Match-3 Puzzle Game

Developer: Tricephalus http://www.facebook.com/tricephalusgames

Lazy Santa is a challenging, but simple, and yet dynamic, match 3 puzzle game, in which the player must help a very lazy Santa Claus, distribute his presents all around the globe. The player will visit ten of the world's most iconic cities, and race against the clock (and sometimes an overcast sky), to save Christmas. Simply tap 3 houses of the same color, to magically transfer the presents from Santa's sleigh. But be careful... don't forget to restock the sleigh by picking up the gift recharge power-up.

The production of Lazy Santa, began in early 2012. The initial plan was to create Lazy Santa, and have it ready for the holiday season of 2012. Well, it turns out this Santa was very lazy indeed, and the game is only now being released (April, 2014). Very appropriate for a Christmas-themed game...

Please try the game, share and rate it if possible...

Lazy Santa on the App Store

Lazy Santa Free Version on the App Store

Lazy Santa Trailer on YouTube

cbox

Just tested Shwip on my 4yr old acer core solo laptop with integrated graphics. Game gets around 45-60fps. SO HAPPY!

We also implemented a real time performance marker that automatically makes the game smoother once it detects a slowdown by removing sets of particles. Pretty cool!

http://instagram.com/p/nESS3UNRhL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom