• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makai

Hey, that aint too bad! What's with the concentric circles?

I'm definitely learning a lot about analog signal processing from this thread. : O

eot

Banned

I'm definitely learning a lot about analog signal processing from this thread. : O

It's a moiré pattern, it comes from the electrons not being perfectly aligned with the phosphor dots on the screen. I'm sure missile can geek out on it hehe.

klaus

I can watch it for hours. But my girlfriend won't even for a second.

Wonderful work, I can almost feel my fingertips tickle from the electrically charged screen - gotta wonder how I survived childhood having an electron cannon pointed right at my face for a good amount of the time :D

Have a question for the devs here.

I follow a lot of Kickstarters, and many have high stretch goals to bring their game to various consoles. One of the recent campaigns like this is Hover: Revolt of Gamers. The game is already coming to PC, PS4, and Xbox One, but has the Wii U version at an 100K stretch goal

From a developer's perspective, why would a port to Wii U need such a high price tag? Is the programming language different than the one used on the other platforms? Is it because the devs would have to craft new features that work wth a touch screen? I'm curious about the possible reasons

There are many reasons, a few that immediately come to mind.

1. The Code is still totally a thing. Unity supports many platforms, but there are still a lot of kinks. Our game is Unity and it still took a good 30 hours just to get it up and running at a decent framerate. Even then the shaders where all jacked up. Like so.

nrxjX0n.png

NOT SUPPOSED TO LOOK LIKE THAT. Even if it does look pretty cool. Fixing it is doable; just takes time.

2. There is a difference between porting something and porting something well. Taking into account a platform is more than just a raw coding issue, it is also a design issue. If I was porting to the Wii U, I would feel the need to spend some time redesigning things to properly utilize the Gamepad for instance. Ephemerid was originally designed for iPad and when we got it running on a Vita we realized we would need to entirely rethink the way the camera functions to get it to work on Vita. It would need to be much more dynamic.

3. License fees, license fees for consoles can be hilariously high. Like, "if you have to ask then you can't afford it" high. This is changing pretty rapidly, but it can still be a factor. In this particular case I think Nintendo has a deal with Unity that covers the cost of the license, but I don't remember the details.

4. Certification. This is probably the biggest one. Console certification is a huge undertaking. Not only from a QA/bug tracking standpoint, but also from a rules compliance standpoint. Every platform (and sometimes every region for the same platform) has a long list of requirements you have to meet and test against. I have heard horror stories in particular about Nintendo's certification process. These are mostly from the DS era and before. I hear things are improving on that front, but still, it is a huge timesink.

Different Question for anyone who has published on iOS

What do you know about D-U-N-S numbers? I just learned about them and it seems batshit cray cray.

https://developer.apple.com/support/ios/D-U-N-S.html

bumpkin

What do you know about D-U-N-S numbers? I just learned about them and it seems batshit cray cray.

No clue. I have never had to furnish such a thing for iOS Apps I've published on the store. Now mind you, all of mine were done as an individual ($99/year). Never as enterprise or anything of that level. Didn't need to pay for the more expensive license.

No clue. I have never had to furnish such a thing for iOS Apps I've published on the store. Now mind you, all of mine were done as an individual ($99/year). Never as enterprise or anything of that level. Didn't need to pay for the more expensive license.

Were you able to publish under a company name? It reads like after 2012 you need a D-U-N-S to to that, which seems weird.

hoverX

When we signed up for the developer program as a company we had to provide a DUNS number. Pretty effortless process.

I think this is a new requirement. You initially could only register for the Company program as a Corporation. They seem to have relaxed that somewhat and now require a DUNS number. We are not a corporation but a friend who registered about a year before I did had to do some sweet talking to let him in as a non-corporation.

http://www.dnb.ca/contact-us/duns-number-registration-process.html

JulianImp

I've been experimenting a whole lot with how to generate the stage borders procedurally for my game, Quark Storm. I've got nearly everything in place thanks to my cousin's help, but we've kind of hit a brick wall with getting one final issue out of the way. Since I've seen time and time again that several IndieGAFfers are really great at math and geometry, I thought I'd ask you guys for help as well.

Here's a picture of a stage with procedurally-generated borders (click to enlarge):

As you can see, several borders are protuding out of the geometry when they should actually stay on the other side of the collider (with one such example circled in red), and they all happen to be what my cousin and I call "peaks", as opposed to "valleys", which all work fine.

We've deduced that we could probably solve the problem by identifying the peaks them and flipping the angles they're extruded in by 180 degrees, but so far we haven't found a reliable way to actually detect which vertexes form peaks and which form valleys.

Here's a link to my code (commented logs galore!): http://pastebin.com/gSdMqzu3

Blizzard

Banned
I made it almost exactly a month with some pixel art every day, and then I missed yesterday. Now it's technically after midnight so I can't count it. =(

And now I'll say to myself "It's ok", and will use the same justification to not do any more art for the next month or two...

klaus

I've been experimenting a whole lot with how to generate the stage borders procedurally for my game, Quark Storm. I've got nearly everything in place thanks to my cousin's help, but we've kind of hit a brick wall with getting one final issue out of the way. Since I've seen time and time again that several IndieGAFfers are really great at math and geometry, I thought I'd ask you guys for help as well.

Here's a picture of a stage with procedurally-generated borders (click to enlarge):

As you can see, several borders are protuding out of the geometry when they should actually stay on the other side of the collider (with one such example circled in red), and they all happen to be what my cousin and I call "peaks", as opposed to "valleys", which all work fine.

We've deduced that we could probably solve the problem by identifying the peaks them and flipping the angles they're extruded in by 180 degrees, but so far we haven't found a reliable way to actually detect which vertexes form peaks and which form valleys.

Here's a link to my code (commented logs galore!): http://pastebin.com/gSdMqzu3

The following code should fix the issue:
Code:
Vector3 average = ((edgeCollider.points[indiceVerticeSiguiente] - edgeCollider.points[i]).normalized + (edgeCollider.points[i] - edgeCollider.points[indiceVerticeAnterior]).normalized).normalized;
Vector2 delta = new Vector2(-average.y, average.x);
float length = 1.0f; // defines how thick border is
vertices[i*2+1] = (Vector3)(edgeCollider.points[i] + delta * length);
First the average direction of both edges is calculated, then we rotate the result by 90 degrees (might have to multiply by -1 depending on the loop orientation) and scale it with the factor length.

JulianImp

The following code should fix the issue:
Code:
Vector3 average = ((edgeCollider.points[indiceVerticeSiguiente] - edgeCollider.points[i]).normalized + (edgeCollider.points[i] - edgeCollider.points[indiceVerticeAnterior]).normalized).normalized;
Vector2 delta = new Vector2(-average.y, average.x);
float length = 1.0f; // defines how thick border is
vertices[i*2+1] = (Vector3)(edgeCollider.points[i] + delta * length);
First the average direction of both edges is calculated, then we rotate the result by 90 degrees (might have to multiply by -1 depending on the loop orientation) and scale it with the factor length.

There's a problem there: While the diagonals all have the same length, that means the border polygons don't run perfectly parallel to the collider's edges, which results in the border not having uniform thickness thorough the whole collider. Here's an image for reference where I swapped the signs for the "-average.y, average.x" part, since that achieved a border on the wrong side of the collider:

klaus

There's a problem there: While the diagonals all have the same length, that means the border polygons don't run perfectly parallel to the collider's edges, which results in the border not having uniform thickness thorough the whole collider. Here's an image for reference where I swapped the signs for the "-average.y, average.x" part, since that achieved a border on the wrong side of the collider:

Hmm do you need perfectly constant thickness? Cause sadly that's not trivial - the link has a few (general) solutions. If it's OK when the solution breaks at extreme cases, there should be a relatively easy strategy:
- create two lines, one going through the previous vertex in direction of the current, the second through the current vertex in direction of the next
- offset the origin of each of the lines by the vector perpendicular to the corresponding line's direction (scaled by collider thickness)
- intersect those lines -> this point is correct

Edit: OK this should do it, brute force style ;-)
Code:
// get line equations for p1 = o1 + t1 * d1, p2 = o2 + t2 * d2
Vector2 o1 = edgeCollider.points[indiceVerticeAnterior]; // perhaps you have to cast from Vector3 to Vector2..
Vector2 d1 = (edgeCollider.points[i] - edgeCollider.points[indiceVerticeAnterior]).normalized;
Vector2 o2 = edgeCollider.points[i];
Vector2 d2 = (edgeCollider.points[indiceVerticeSiguiente] - edgeCollider.points[i]).normalized;

// offset origins
float length = 1.0f;
o1 += new Vector2(d1.y, -d1.x) * length;
o2 += new Vector2(d2.y, -d2.x) * length;

// calculate intersection (o1 + t1 * d1 = o2 + t2 * d2)
float t2 = (o1.x*d1.y - o1.y*d1.x - o2.x*d1.y + o2.y*d1.x) / (d2.x*d1.y - d2.y*d1.x);
Vector2 newPoint = o2 + d2 * t2;
Edit2: Fixed formula, hope now it's correct..

JulianImp

Hmm do you need perfectly constant thickness? Cause sadly that's not trivial - the link has a few (general) solutions. If it's OK when the solution breaks at extreme cases, there should be a relatively easy strategy:
- create two lines, one going through the previous vertex in direction of the current, the second through the current vertex in direction of the next
- offset the origin of each of the lines by the vector perpendicular to the corresponding line's direction (scaled by collider thickness)
- intersect those lines -> this point is correct

Sorry too late to do the math for you, have fun figuring the formula out :)

Thinking a bit more about it, I saw that your method gets the angle perfectly, which is one of the things we couldn't get working properly. Combining your method to get the normal with mine to get the desired length of each individual segment, I've finally done it!

What's even better, this spares me using sine and cosine, since you chose to deal with vertexes rather than angles and lengths like we did! I guess I could adapt the algorithm some more to drop angles altogether in order to avoid using atan twice per vertex, but I probably won't do so anytime soon since it's a process that will only be run in-editor every now and then, and only after making changes to the level geometry, anyway.

EDIT: I'll look into the code you edited in while I was typing this once I've gotten some sleep, since my brain's currently in stand-by mode after staying up until now to try and get the algorithm to work. Thanks a lot for the help!

klaus

Thinking a bit more about it, I saw that your method gets the angle perfectly, which is one of the things we couldn't get working properly. Combining your method to get the normal with mine to get the desired length of each individual segment, I've finally done it!

What's even better, this spares me using sine and cosine, since you chose to deal with vertexes rather than angles and lengths like we did! I guess I could adapt the algorithm some more to drop angles altogether in order to avoid using atan twice per vertex, but I probably won't do so anytime soon since it's a process that will only be run in-editor every now and then, and only after making changes to the level geometry, anyway.

Yeah dealing with angles can be nasty, and you have to be very careful when calculating stuff with them (cause 360deg = 0deg etc.), so I prefer to avoid using angles whenever possible. Btw you might wanna check my post above, the new code should (!) return the correct new point for a constant thickness..

missile

Now I'm curious 8)

We have a base 640x360 resolution with integer multipliers (2x for 720p and 3x for 1080p). Glad an odd size can be helpful :)

I see. The softer look seems a bit more natural imho.
Yeah, it does. Later the engine behind will give one an option to adjust the
degree of old-school so to speak. An artist/developer should be able to fine-
tune the look & feel according to his/her needs. Would be cool to offer this
option in realtime, but this will come at a price since in this case some of
the filters behind need to adjust their coefficients in realtime as well.
Building such a dynamic filtering system isn't so easy either. One way out
would be to build a set of coefficients a-priori, which is what the DSP
engineers do. And with gigs of memory it is perhaps a good exercise to waste
some of it with thousands of filtering coefficients. xD

You spend a couple of days away and it all kicks off!! :D ...
You had a vacation?

Love, love, love! :D ...

Really nice. Looks ace! :D

Heh... yeah, s'nice ;D
With a real game behind, possibly 3d, it should look pretty cool in motion.

Like eot said, it's a moiré pattern. I didn't drew these circles, they are the
result of the process underneath.

Wonderful work, I can almost feel my fingertips tickle from the electrically charged screen - gotta wonder how I survived childhood having an electron cannon pointed right at my face for a good amount of the time :D
I have some ideas using positional tracking. :+

You really need to degauss that monitor. =p
Of course! :) Guess you play a game where you have to degauss the (in-game
fullscreen) monitor at times, sick or not? xD The degauss feature will
definitely be in, since many people know about it and it breaks the illusion
if it isn't there, right? I mean, I've pressed degauss multiple times just for
the fun of it back in the days where CRTs have ruled the planet.

I think so? Like Unity, I guess?

Uhm, you are going to have to be a bit more specific.

Do you need only a level editor or an entire engine? Most of the time you use the level editor of the engine you are using. I don't know about standalone 3D level editors although I am sure they exist.

Unity is a game engine, you can also use it as a level editor and I'd recommend doing so if you are using Unity. But if you are using a different engine or custom engine, you cannot use Unity as a level editor.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Uhm, you are going to have to be a bit more specific.

Do you need only a level editor or an entire engine? Most of the time you use the level editor of the engine you are using. I don't know about standalone 3D level editors although I am sure they exist.

Unity is a game engine, you can also use it as a level editor and I'd recommend doing so if you are using Unity. But if you are using a different engine or custom engine, you cannot use Unity as a level editor.

Yeah, sorry I'm trying to figure this out myself.

I was originally just planning on using Unity 3D, but there was a thread a while back and someone in there said that it didn't have a level editor. So now I'm confused. Does it or does it not have a level editor?

DocSeuss

I was originally just planning on using Unity 3D, but there was a thread a while back and someone in there said that it didn't have a level editor. So now I'm confused. Does it or does it not have a level editor?

You can use the Probuilder toolset to do level editing stuff, but you'd have to pony up to buy it.

Garcia

Hello guys. I'm currently learning Java and am also planning on learning C++ as I reach a very competent level in the former. Would you recommend to finish Java before I start meddling with Unity or other engines? What are the direct benefits of having competent (and above) levels of coding when it comes to using some of these engines?

Thanks in advance. Excellent thread.

Oh, I think I remember now.

It is no modlling tool. You create the assets in you want in a modelling program, such as Blender. So you model a wall for example.

In the level editor you can duplicate that wall, rearrange them as such so that you get a level, place spawn points, level triggers, things like that.

In UDK (which is free, but a bit tedious to use) and Unreal Engine 4 you have brushes. Things like boxes, cylinders, spheres, things like that, and with the help of intersecting and merging those you can create some basic geometry and could possibly also use that to create your level with.

Unity does have some default geometry as boxes and such, but you can't make more complex shapes with them. For example in UDK you can put a cylinder in a box and then exclude the cylinder so that you end up with a box that has a hole in it. Unity does not support things like that.

If you only need boxes, cylinders and other basic shapes like that, you can use Unity and don't need a modeling program for your level editing, or find assets of somebody else.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Oh, I think I remember now.

It is no modlling tool. You create the assets in you want in a modelling program, such as Blender. So you model a wall for example.

In the level editor you can duplicate that wall, rearrange them as such so that you get a level, place spawn points, level triggers, things like that.

In UDK (which is free, but a bit tedious to use) and Unreal Engine 4 you have brushes. Things like boxes, cylinders, spheres, things like that, and with the help of intersecting and merging those you can create some basic geometry and could possibly also use that to create your level with.

Unity does have some default geometry as boxes and such, but you can't make more complex shapes with them. For example in UDK you can put a cylinder in a box and then exclude the cylinder so that you end up with a box that has a hole in it. Unity does not support things like that.

If you only need boxes, cylinders and other basic shapes like that, you can use Unity and don't need a modeling program for your level editing, or find assets of somebody else.

Ah, okay that helps explain things. Thanks.

I'm ignorant of most things due to my being new to the scene but what's wrong with creating a level in blender, making all the revisions there and importing?

Nothing, actually! I might just go with that.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yeah,
That is a man there. Problem is, muscle proportions are different on women. You can make it look more authentic by researching some fitness/muscular-type women online.

Otherwise, I would change the hair, it maches *exactly* with the clothing's color, and that exactness is pretty cheap, imho (and it is also a bit off-putting to me). Also, work on dat chin! You are not portraying Matt Smith!

On first glimpse, I thought it was a man - shoulders are a bit broad, muscle definition is also rather male-like, plus waist is rather slim for a woman.
2. Doesn't look cheap to me, quality is fine. Perhaps the muscle definition could be improved a bit (anatomy books help there).
3. The thighs are too long for a "normal" human being, but that may be a choice of style..
4. I would like to see some more details - the color palette seems a bit bland, perhaps some different shades of the colors already present could enhance the look.
5. I wonder what the belt / sheath thing is about, the character makes me think of a mixture of medieval adventurer & cyberpunk goth - could be helpful to define the character's background in detail, that makes it a lot easier to decide on equipment / details etc., since characters that "fit" into a given narrative / setting tend to appear more appealing / convincing.

I had no idea it was a girl and I would have never guessed it to be. Now I can see it though and it'll be fine once the audio is in place. I thought it looks like The Crow. She looks like a character from Dive Kick which can be good or bad depending on what you are going for.

Everything else depends on what your plans are. I feel like the animation will be boned and rotate (like an action figure) instead of each frame being hand drawn. If that's the case, it looks fine. Everything is proportioned fine, imo.

And she's obviously on Cobra's side :p
Thanks for the replies :)
About her, she is a gloomy character, she uses 2 Rambo-like knives(the game is a sort of fighting game with weapons).
About her being a girl, i want her to be muscular, not at Chun-Li level though, and i don't want to her to expose her feminine traits.
Anyway i want to give a you a visual context:
Her, the same exact character just without jacket and some of the make up, old bad unfinished base for male characters(in underwear lol)
lein.png
lein2.png
path3040.png

I use vectorial graphics to make the base for my characters and help with animations, but i'm a good 2d fanboy, i really don't want the game to look like a cheap flash game(that's why i asked if she looked cheap), after all if SNKP and ASW that have lots of talented and experienced artists help themselves with 3d models why i, that i'm alone and unexperienced, should not help myself with vectors? :p

bumpkin

Were you able to publish under a company name? It reads like after 2012 you need a D-U-N-S to to that, which seems weird.
I can't speak to how it's changed since I published my first App, but at the time, it asked me to specify what name I'd like my Apps to be published under. It explicitly told me once I picked something, it couldn't be changed. At the time I didn't feel like making up some ridiculous "company" when in all reality it's just me. So the App I put up lists my name as the publisher.

HelloMeow

Hello guys. I'm currently learning Java and am also planning on learning C++ as I reach a very competent level in the former. Would you recommend to finish Java before I start meddling with Unity or other engines? What are the direct benefits of having competent (and above) levels of coding when it comes to using some of these engines?

Thanks in advance. Excellent thread.

You can use C# with unity, which is practically the same as Java, so a good understanding of Java will definitely help.

Turfster

fullscreen) monitor at times, sick or not? xD The degauss feature will
definitely be in, since many people know about it and it breaks the illusion
if it isn't there, right? I mean, I've pressed degauss multiple times just for
the fun of it back in the days where CRTs have ruled the planet.

You need that meaty WHOMFKRK sound too then ;)

When we signed up for the developer program as a company we had to provide a DUNS number. Pretty effortless process.

I think this is a new requirement. You initially could only register for the Company program as a Corporation. They seem to have relaxed that somewhat and now require a DUNS number. We are not a corporation but a friend who registered about a year before I did had to do some sweet talking to let him in as a non-corporation.

http://www.dnb.ca/contact-us/duns-number-registration-process.html

I can't speak to how it's changed since I published my first App, but at the time, it asked me to specify what name I'd like my Apps to be published under. It explicitly told me once I picked something, it couldn't be changed. At the time I didn't feel like making up some ridiculous "company" when in all reality it's just me. So the App I put up lists my name as the publisher.

Thanks for this info.

In less bureaucratic news, Ephemerid has been nominated for Best Sound at the BIG Festival. (Brazil Independent Games Festival) http://www.bigfestival.com.br/jogos/listar/0/finalistas/2014

Which is pretty awesome... Never thought we would ever be nominated alongside David Wise's work. Crazy.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
fullscreen) monitor at times, sick or not?
Quick pitch: the video signal degrades further and further over time, and by killing enemies/going through checkpoints/doing whatever you're supposed to do, you degauss the monitor and clean up the signal. The faster you are, the more you can see. The slower you are, well... good luck :)

Turfster

There is a Ludum Dare this weekend. I'm tempted to try it again. Voting still up for round 4 if anyone is interested (http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/).

The last time I think I tried using Flash with a free IDE since that's easy for people to play online.

It's kinda annoying you need to log in to even be able to see the options.
(Probably wouldn't be a 'legit' attempt, and I don't really want to create yet another account just to see if I might want to even try)

missile

You need that meaty WHOMFKRK sound too then ;)
Check! :+

Quick pitch: the video signal degrades further and further over time, and by killing enemies/going through checkpoints/doing whatever you're supposed to do, you degauss the monitor and clean up the signal. The faster you are, the more you can see. The slower you are, well... good luck :)
Sounds great! :+ I had a similar idea in mind for the game I am making. I.e.
you are under tight pressure doing difficult stuff, where matching the right
sequence of inputs is important, and where you have virtually no time doing
other things, i.e. to degauss the monitor, unless you are willing to break the
sequence losing valuable points, or go the the risk crashing into the ground
while flying blindfolded. Another cool things is color drift and stuff. Lots
of cool things to try out. :) Btw, Jocchan, what's the state of Dudebro II?
Any release date?

Blizzard

Banned
It's kinda annoying you need to log in to even be able to see the options.
(Probably wouldn't be a 'legit' attempt, and I don't really want to create yet another account just to see if I might want to even try)
Well the theme will presumably be announced right before it starts. You can also see the three other rounds of voting without logging in. They seem to be mostly or completely different so I guess they're combining all the results once all the rounds finish?

Round 4 voting options are as follows:
Cause and Effect
Day One
End of the Universe
Failure Is Sometimes An Option
Glitch
Into the Dark
It Never Ends
Manipulation
Memory
Plant Life
Regeneration
Sabotage
Sacrifice to Proceed
Strength In Numbers
Surveillance
The Game of Lies
The Wild
Traveller
Two Worlds
Unusual Powers
You Are Your Own Enemy

Jobbs

Banned
Ok, for the fun of it...

Some first experiments in simulating an TV's deflecting yoke and its distortion:

7CRnhMc.png

I think this is a great look, I think a slightly toned down version of this effect should be IN the game for real. Pixel art without some kind of old school TV nastiness or scanlines or whatever just never seems quite right to me!

Vark

Hey guys. I'm wrapping up some things on a quick little mobile game I've been working on and I was wondering if I could get a few people to help me test it out? I'm mostly OK on the iOS side of things but if anyone with an Android device is willing to give it a look it would be awesome.

The game itself is super simple, you just jump around and see how long you can last but I'm using it to test a lot of extra features I haven't used before (Leaderboards, ads, social media sharing, etc) before i roll them back into the larger game I'm making.

I'm still working on getting achievements and IAP stuff in but if you're willing to donate a few minutes of your time and give me some feedback later this week and a little next week and to test some functionality I would greatly appreciate it!

If you're willing and able to help just shoot me a PM with your e-mail address and I will e-mail you the details. I'm distributing builds via Google Play so it'll have to be the e-mail address you use there.

Thanks in advance!

title.png
game2.png
end.png

has there ever been talk of making a neogaf game? i understand permission would have to be granted, but it could be a fun thing to do. couple different ideas:

a warioware-style collection of mini-games related to different neogaf memes over the years(ie: pushing over the magazine rack in a game store).

a strategy game where you post, respond, and even troll in order to push your agenda in the neogaf universe (becoming well-known, cheerleading your favorite console, etc..)

a 2d action platformer where the relation to neogaf is a bit more metaphorical. explore environments that are designed to visually represent different aspects of the forum and it's user, gain power-ups, battle bosses (parodies of posters?).

any thoughts and/or interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom