• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about unity for the PlayStation family just to mess with but the effort to apply just takes time since I need to register a company. I'll just play with unity with PSM lol

I have a question for Unity users. How are you guys displaying text to screen?
[...]
The options available in Unity are ginormous with the asset store. I've spent all morning looking, but I feel even more confused.

You might be looking for something like TextFX for the actual effects and probably something like Dialogue System for Unity for actually managing the dialogue trees.

Dialogue System for Unity is pretty frequently discounted, so if money is an issue it might be wise to see if it'll pop up on sale. TextFX has been on sale only once, so it may or may not pop up again.

Note: I have no in-depth personal experience with either of them (aside from owning them and trying them out for < 30 minutes) so I can't give in-depth advice. They both seemed perfectly fine, and they're both highly-rated, so there's that.

Alternatively, you can do it the old fashioned way of trying to split strings into characters and animate the individual characters, but that's kind of a hassle to get running when you're starting from scratch, so if time's an issue buying the assets may very well be worth it.

---------

As for displaying it to the screen, you're probably going to have to use either Unity's GUI (which is actually pretty nice starting in 4.6) or get a third-party GUI solution. If you use either of the above assets, you'll obviously have to kind of glue them to whatever GUI solution you're using (although I'm pretty sure that Dialogue System for Unity will support the 4.6 GUI once 4.6 is officially released).

I have a question for Unity users. How are you guys displaying text to screen?

I'm trying to build a fun bubbly dialogue system ala Paper Mario or Animal crossing. I want to be able to shrink or enlarge text (to show whispering or yelling). I'd also like to color keywords in a text to give the player hints. Bonus points if the text can wobble (like in Paper Mario if an NPC is scared).

Anyone know of a good jumping off point to create such a system? The options available in Unity are ginormous with the asset store. I've spent all morning looking, but I feel even more confused.

You could use Unity's built in 3D text. It'd give you all the options you need without any hard work, except for maybe multiple colors. To get the text to point towards the camera, just rotate it in the OnRender function in script.

I have no experience with the asset store so I'm not sure if there's a simpler option available over there.

kiguel182

Hi all! My name's Chris, and I'm one of the leads at Buffalo Game Space, a nonprofit organization based in WNY that aims to help connect programmers, artists, musicians and designers and help them make games. We've been up and running for about two years now, and we've actually outgrown our current facilities (a warehouse we've used for bi-weekly meetups, talks, arcade nights, good stuff), so we've turned to Kickstarter to get things rolling for our next phase. We're looking at getting a bigger space, dev kits, and audio and mo-cap facilities, hosting and recording more talks from members and other events. In terms of rewards, we're giving away game packs, asset packs, prints, custom pixel art, and all sorts of other cool stuff.

If this strikes your fancy, you can check it out here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1986200402/buffalo-game-space

And I'm more than happy to answer any questions about the project; just hit me up here or on the Twitters!

BGS on Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Meetup

Well, this seems amazing. I wish my city had something like these. We need more spaces dedicated to game development.

Wow, thanks for the quick replies guys. I'm glad I asked!

TextFx seems to have exactly what I need so I'll definitely look that up. I'll keep the other options on the table in case I have need of them.

Thanks again!

razu

Wow, thanks for the quick replies guys. I'm glad I asked!

TextFx seems to have exactly what I need so I'll definitely look that up. I'll keep the other options on the table in case I have need of them.

Thanks again!

I use NGUI for UI, and it's pretty useful now. Maybe hold off on buying anything, as stated earlier, Unity GUI is inbound soon. I got the beta, but have had no time to try it out. The videos looked pretty good though.

Burt

Since there's been some tree talk in here lately, feel like I might as well share and get some feedback.

Spent some time today going from this:

Vm7bqCT.png

To this:

It's still a work in progress, but I'm reasonably happy with it so far. I think the bottom blends pretty well, but the top could definitely use some work in terms of brightness and shading to make it contrast more. Outline/shape/height proportions need some jiggering too, but that'll come a bit later as I see how it fits in with everything else.

Anyone have any suggestions? I don't have a great artistic eye, especially when it comes to palettes and such. Not too concerned about the trunk cause I haven't touched it yet, but advice for that'd be great as well.

Also, note on going from puffy cloud tree to leafy tree: booooring. Patience was wearing thin by the bottom right section, if you can't tell.

Ashodin

tyLk6Mj.gif

Fixed the grass so it's not just dots but sexy blades flying off into the wind aww yiss

EDIT: Most of the Scrolr VA is in fuuuuuuuck it feels sooooooo good

EDIT2: Victory theme is in!

EDIT3: LETS SCROLL IS IN

umaxm4B.gif

Do you like Mega Man Scrolling? SO DO I

PjAID9N.gif

Five

Banned
Since there's been some tree talk in here lately, feel like I might as well share and get some feedback.

Spent some time today going from this:

To this:

It's still a work in progress, but I'm reasonably happy with it so far. I think the bottom blends pretty well, but the top could definitely use some work in terms of brightness and shading to make it contrast more. Outline/shape/height proportions need some jiggering too, but that'll come a bit later as I see how it fits in with everything else.

Anyone have any suggestions? I don't have a great artistic eye, especially when it comes to palettes and such. Not too concerned about the trunk cause I haven't touched it yet, but advice for that'd be great as well.

Also, note on going from puffy cloud tree to leafy tree: booooring. Patience was wearing thin by the bottom right section, if you can't tell.

That looks really good! I think you did an amazing job. I'd suggest poking a couple of holes in the leafage near the top. Something like this, except not accidentally fudging up the scaling in PS or saving it as a JPG:

Tree.jpg

Also, to combat the tedium of drawing something like this, I usually have a TV show, movie, podcast or Twitch stream going on in my second monitor. It helps out much the same way as doodling in a lecture.

Effort like that makes for good art!

For plants, the common convention for lighter colors is to make them a little more yellow and shades blue-er.

swordofmana_shot09.png

But your tree has nice colors already.

hellocld

Well, this seems amazing. I wish my city had something like these. We need more spaces dedicated to game development.

It's pretty great. One of the things we're hoping to do is come up with a rough outline of how we've gone about putting our group together as a model others can follow in their cities. Really, it just boils down to asking around and meeting regularly. We started with one meeting at a coffee shop with four people; now we've got, on average, about fifteen to twenty people at our general meetings discussing their projects and giving talks about what they're working on.

We actually just had a couple members finish up and release a game on the Google Play Store called "Alien Evac", y'all should check it out. It's a fun little puzzle game, kinda like a top-down lemmings, complete with a level editor.

Hey, I've shown my new game here a couple times, it's now got an active Kickstarter, does anybody have any suggestions for how we can improve the Kickstarter? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pixelworm/e-m-i-l-y

Thanks.

I use NGUI for UI, and it's pretty useful now. Maybe hold off on buying anything, as stated earlier, Unity GUI is inbound soon. I got the beta, but have had no time to try it out. The videos looked pretty good though.
Unity GUI is *very* similar to recent builds of nGUI. The nGUI developer may have only worked for Unity for a little bit, but Unity's new GUI is like they took nGUI and streamlined it by building it into the system. And it does support multicolor text, text in 3D space, and all.

Turfster

Add a physical contact address Beginning September 30, 2014, you need to add a physical address to your Settings page. After you've added an address, it will be available on your app's detail page to all users on Google Play. If your physical address changes, make sure to update your information on your Settings page.

If you have paid apps or apps with in-app purchases, it's mandatory to provide a physical address where you can be contacted. If you don't provide a physical address on your account, it may result in your apps being removed from the Play Store.

What the hell are you doing, Google?
What use could this possibly be?

Dascu

Hey, I've shown my new game here a couple times, it's now got an active Kickstarter, does anybody have any suggestions for how we can improve the Kickstarter? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pixelworm/e-m-i-l-y
Looks fine. Project looks good, you show a lot of attractive gameplay, lots of information and details and the funding target seems reasonable.

I think the only thing you can do is contact news sites/live streamers for coverage and attention.

Burt

That looks really good! I think you did an amazing job. I'd suggest poking a couple of holes in the leafage near the top. Something like this, except not accidentally fudging up the scaling in PS or saving it as a JPG:

Tree.jpg

Also, to combat the tedium of drawing something like this, I usually have a TV show, movie, podcast or Twitch stream going on in my second monitor. It helps out much the same way as doodling in a lecture.

Thanks! Just the sort of advice I was looking for. I can draw a tree alright I guess, but something like putting some more holes in the top isn't the sort of thing that'd even occur to me. It really does add depth though.

And yeah, I've been catching up on some podcasts as I grind through this stuff, it does help a bit.

Effort like that makes for good art!

For plants, the common convention for lighter colors is to make them a little more yellow and shades blue-er.

swordofmana_shot09.png

But your tree has nice colors already.

And thanks. There is a bit of a yellow/blue shift going on there, but I didn't make it super pronounced. I've actually noticed when I'm drawing something out I tend to shy away from going too strong in any direction, as if I couldn't just immediately undo a recolor. Definitely something I'm trying to work on.

I did do a bit of an edit, with some more holes up top and brighter/yellower highlights, plus a quick copy-paste-mirror-blend to add some height and improve the general shape of things.

I actually think the copied section came out surprisingly less noticeable than I thought it would. Still not sold on the new yellow, it ends up looking a bit grainier and washed out compared to the original green but I think I'll wait to see how it fits in with everything else.

Pehesse

Dear IndieGAF, I come bearing .gifs!

Bad jokes aside, the new moves work faultlessly in the game (yay!) and add plenty of strategic options (double yay!) so I figured it was time to add some more flavor, and I've begun doing the referee... and it already mostly works as intended (triple yay!)

So here are a few excerpts of the current look:

GorgeousInconsequentialCalf.gif

An example of the new uppercut in action, and the referee commenting on the action

OrnateDimBluewhale.gif

The new dash/avoid move (I didn't realize how sorely it was missed until it was in)

ShortGregariousDarklingbeetle.gif

The other new dash escape move

NaughtyFavorableCottonmouth.gif

...and a nice demonstration that all those new moves don't make Honey invincible

Still plenty of things to fix with everything grapple related, but I'll soon move on to the audience in the background to see how much it adds to the general feel!

cbox

Nice work pehesse, it's really coming together.

Some feedback I could possibly give . A few times in your animations I noticed the ref in the background competes with the main players, maybe darkening the background a bit more could help? Could even be because they both use a common colour tone.

Pehesse

Nice work pehesse, it's really coming together.

Some feedback I could possibly give . A few times in your animations I noticed the ref in the background competes with the main players, maybe darkening the background a bit more could help? Could even be because they both use a common colour tone.

Thanks! That's definitely something I'll do, especially since there's still the audience and their movement still to add back there, so I'll need something to separate the foreground from the background even more. But to be honest, I'm not sure why, but the .gif seems to lose some (most?) of the contrast currently existing between the two - to play, it already is a lot clearer and legible than it appears here :-D Still, I'll keep working on clarifying stuff!

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

Bad jokes aside, the new moves work faultlessly in the game (yay!) and add plenty of strategic options (double yay!) so I figured it was time to add some more flavor, and I've begun doing the referee... and it already mostly works as intended (triple yay!)

An example of the new uppercut in action, and the referee commenting on the action

OrnateDimBluewhale.gif

The new dash/avoid move (I didn't realize how sorely it was missed until it was in)

...and a nice demonstration that all those new moves don't make Honey invincible

Still plenty of things to fix with everything grapple related, but I'll soon move on to the audience in the background to see how much it adds to the general feel!

I always loved referees in fighting games!
And the quality of the last animation is really impressive, the best hold/launch animation i have ever seen in a game, seriously!

Just a curiosity... how do you name your gifs! XD

I love that your first thought was to take a screenshot of the incoming call. ;)

I just rolled up from a nap due to a killer headache (root canal next Friday on an old root canal that wasn't canal'd enough 7.5 years ago) and POOF, headache was like I'M OUTTA HERE. But, yeah, I could have snapped the call log but wanted to snap the screen on incoming :p

When you get the call from Nintendo, it's like DREAMS ARE MADE REAL

I did one of those double takes. Then did another double take. Then quickly nabbed a screenie.

I'm seriously shaking, at the moment. No shit. I'm confused a bit. Like... me. I'm a jackass. This doesn't happen :D

Starting work on the next thing. Super prototype-y right now but we are calling it a Roguey-like-ish-type. We got so tired of hand crafted animations with Ephemerid that we are trying to do everything with Physics and systems this time.

ValuableAnimatedCuscus.gif

WebM link

FarawayScaryCollie.gif

WebM link

The WebM's are way smoother.

Blizzard

Banned
I still remember, even though it's been like 50 years by now, when Nintendo first called me. I think I was about to play volleyball but nope, phone call! They seemed like friendly people, easy to get into the program.

I hope it doesn't end up going the way of the mobile market, flooded with low-quality games, but many might say the same thing about my own game so I guess I don't have room to talk!

Believe in yourself and get motivated, fired up. You're in the big leagues now, you have a chance to get out there.
Thanks, bro. I appreciate the good words. I'm just a little tardigrade swimming in that big sea. Aimlessly confused, at the moment but incredibly stoked.

Also, your poster is now printed, just need to get another frame for it and boom - on my wall of framed game art, old Nintendo Power mags and cart boxes! Huzzah!

Now if Joe throws up some big art of Gunworld I'll be giggling all weekend at my additions.

kiguel182

It's pretty great. One of the things we're hoping to do is come up with a rough outline of how we've gone about putting our group together as a model others can follow in their cities. Really, it just boils down to asking around and meeting regularly. We started with one meeting at a coffee shop with four people; now we've got, on average, about fifteen to twenty people at our general meetings discussing their projects and giving talks about what they're working on.

We actually just had a couple members finish up and release a game on the Google Play Store called "Alien Evac", y'all should check it out. It's a fun little puzzle game, kinda like a top-down lemmings, complete with a level editor.

I think that's a great idea. It could definitively help other people to organize stuff like this. I would love to do something like that one day.

And I'll check out the game then!

Ashodin

Thanks, bro. I appreciate the good words. I'm just a little tardigrade swimming in that big sea. Aimlessly confused, at the moment but incredibly stoked.

Also, your poster is now printed, just need to get another frame for it and boom - on my wall of framed game art, old Nintendo Power mags and cart boxes! Huzzah!

Now if Joe throws up some big art of Gunworld I'll be giggling all weekend at my additions.

I'm honored!

Raonak

Banned
That's awesome news, ashodin! Is this gonna be your first commerical game?

--

So i've been doing work on both SPEE and Nax. Im actually starting to find that working on 2 games at once to be theraputic in that when I get bored of one, i switch over. Helps me from burning out.

for Super Pokemon Eevee Edition; added a minigame to the Cut/Rocksmash mechanics, to make them a little more deeper. I'm thinking of reusing this mechanic for lots of stuff (fishing, grinding berries, etc)
Also realised my last beta (0.73) has gotten over 30k downloads! which is awesome. The growth SPEE has had is awesome, and really inspires me to not quit! I'm definitely on track to getting the next beta(0.74) out before november.

--

In terms of Nax, I'm still brainstorming the RPG mechanics. I'm thinking of using a FFX style sphere grid, but with small spheres. The hard part is deciding whether to lock away attacks or not...

because I found that was a big problem with some of my prior demo was the fact you had to unlock moves. that made the combat seem far more simple than it was, since people playing wouldn't invest the time to upgrade.

I'm thinking that a good middle-ground would be to have all attacks avaliable from the get-go, but there'll be upgraded versions of the attacks that you can unlock via lvUp.
But part of me thinks that removing RPG mechanics form the character-progression might be a good idea. But using levelling up for other things? Not sure. will have to stew about it more.

And thanks. There is a bit of a yellow/blue shift going on there, but I didn't make it super pronounced. I've actually noticed when I'm drawing something out I tend to shy away from going too strong in any direction, as if I couldn't just immediately undo a recolor. Definitely something I'm trying to work on.

I did do a bit of an edit, with some more holes up top and brighter/yellower highlights, plus a quick copy-paste-mirror-blend to add some height and improve the general shape of things.

One major pitfall of working on pixel art is constantly viewing your art up close and not stopping to pull back and view the art at the zoom level you intend for it to be viewed at.
I usually work at 800%-1000% zoom and colors seem different as night and day at that level. Jump back to 100%?
Whoa.

You might want to try Graphics Gale since uniformly changing a single color is so much easier!

On a side note, this just happened:

Got approved for Wii U development.

Shitting pants mode is now engaged.

Congrats!!!

I've been nothing but impressed with their indie policies.

On the topic of my own game, I'm feeling like I need to delay it. Currently the announced date is late this year. I have the MP FPS portion in final testing and the SP campaign could be finished on time, but I feel the campaign would be better with more time to fine tune the narrative and expand the lore related content.

Of course no matter how good the game gets there will always be things I'd want to spend more time on, but everyday this seems more and more like the right thing to do.

So, does anyone have experience announcing delays? Is it best to just announce it as is in a blog post, or attach it to a new trailer or something?

Burt

One major pitfall of working on pixel art is constantly viewing your art up close and not stopping to pull back and view the art at the zoom level you intend for it to be viewed at.
I usually work at 800%-1000% zoom and colors seem different as night and day at that level. Jump back to 100%?
Whoa.

You might want to try Graphics Gale since uniformly changing a single color is so much easier!
Yeah, that and single-pixel fretting are definitely issues. It's easy to get wrapped up at the pixel level and lose the big picture. Like, I've been looking at a lot of sprite work from games like Chrono Trigger at 1000% zoom as a reference, and I've totally caught myself going, "That isn't right!" or "That's not even that good!". But of course it is, and it looks fantastic at the intended zoom. Taking a 15-20 minute break from something I'm working on generally helps with resetting my perspective.

I hear a lot about people using Graphics Gale, but haven't ever used it myself. Generally just go with GIMP. Does GG have a lot of benefits over it?

beril

I might speed the scroll up a bit. As a player, I think I would get tired of it taking that long, especially if it's used frequently.

Also I would pause the player animations and enemy movement during the scrolling. Not only because it feels better, but also you may end up with the infamous Metroid 1 getting-killed-during-screen-transistion issue otherwise

razu

Unity GUI is *very* similar to recent builds of nGUI. The nGUI developer may have only worked for Unity for a little bit, but Unity's new GUI is like they took nGUI and streamlined it by building it into the system. And it does support multicolor text, text in 3D space, and all.

Ah right, cool. I think I'll stick with NGUI for this project, then switch.

OrnateDimBluewhale.gif

Just gets better! I do agree with the ref mixing in with the chars. I'm sure you'll fix it!

Have a sweet poster from my key art

7od13Ok.png

That's really cool, I think I RT'd it earlier this week. I'd love to get an artist to do some artwork for my next game. Especially something that could be a poster. That would be wicked :D

Pehesse

Just gets better! I do agree with the ref mixing in with the chars. I'm sure you'll fix it!

Thanks for the vote of confidence :-D

Also, that Psyscrolr poster makes me want to try one of my own! Later, though, still have plenty of the actual game to make right first, but at some point...

Galdelico

(...)

Those kinetic lines work GREAT. Fantastic effect, really.

Pehesse

Those kinetic lines work GREAT. Fantastic effect, really.

Thanks :-D Though to be honest, this is one of the placeholders I intend to rework and replace pretty soon. I think it'd work better with thinner and clearer lines (possibly a mix of light and dark lines - not just dark ones, is all). Still, if I mess it up, I'll keep the old version around just in case :-D

Hey IndieGAF. I see some crazy awesome stuff in here like always!

Haven't been so active as I'm leaving Ubisoft & moving back home in just over a week to become a True Indie Developer&#8482;.

But our team has been hard at work on a LOT of stuff. We're going to have a big devblog post this weekend about the transition to 3D and we are currently working on the Factions interaction and Mutation system. The latter of which I have some screens!

Here's a breakdown of what all that stuff means on the final screen:

We're also working on a more elegant solution to a map system, which on discovering areas of importance in a level, it will have a waypoint marker displayed in world once you are a certain distance away on the edge of the screen (probably will be a toggle-able HUD element that you press a key to bring up).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom