• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noogy

aw shucks that game looks gorgeous, AriEX2.

Kinda reminds me of Ernest and Celestine

Hehe, you're the first person I've heard online mention that film. Absolutely incredible visuals, and sadly overlooked.

And yes, AriEX2, the game looks better all the time!

AriEX2

aw shucks that game looks gorgeous, AriEX2.

Kinda reminds me of Ernest and Celestine

Isn't that a brilliant film! Your giving me wayyy to much credit in that comparison. One day I'd love to try and emulate that kind of watercolour approach in game. I'm sure it can be done! I know Child of Light sort of attempted it, but it used those 2D puppet characters, which ultimately results in a drastically different feel.

Kritz

Banned
Hehe, you're the first person I've heard online mention that film. Absolutely incredible visuals, and sadly overlooked.

And yes, AriEX2, the game looks better all the time!

god it's such a wonderfully charming film, the visuals were stunning and the english VO was fantastic. Was a real treat when I went and saw that.

The benefits of living next to an arthouse cinema

EDIT:

Finally getting around to letting players cut up food instead of just having 20 slices of precut food types lying about. Haven't programmed anything yet, but finished modelling some lettuce. Technically there's nothing stopping users from putting full heads of lettuce in burgers, so I ended up with this:

pcAKFhP.png

and then I set stuff on fire because ???

fNG4nee.png

Pehesse

One of the things I like most about this is how the person in the audience 3 from the right, on the front row, has their hand on the railing. Since I think you posted an earlier shot of them in a different pose, I'm assuming it's dynamic, and that's a realy neat touch of interaction with 2D art in a pseudo-3D space.

It feels weird to call it "dynamic" but yes, there are different animations states and some of them interact/overlap with the railing (not just for him, either, most of the front row does it). It's all constructed to look like there's planar interaction though, the sprites themselves don't actually change planes, so it's more of an illusion than an actual technical thing :-D

Everything looks fantastic, Pehesse!

Glad we got John in there :-D

Aw man, i wanna be in the audience! Are you drawing GAF'ers or are those all based off known video game characters from other IPs (I noticed Dudebro)?

I'd be down, Pehesse. Although there's not much of me to go on :(

It's all characters based on fellow devs' games from this here thread. Bumpkin, I PM'd you for more details, but I'll say it again here for clarity's sake: I'm not adding more guest characters at the moment but if I find more ways to feature them, I'll ask again here and contact those of you who expressed interest in priority!
But really, thanks a lot for the interest to you both, though!

(emphasis mine)

...and thanks for this while I was off in dreamland :-D

Game has gone through some re-branding.

Presenting, the new logo:

NCA_option-5.jpg

I definitely like the new name better, and I think it's less confusing in regards to the whole D.O.A. thing! The top font furiously reminds me of something but I can't pinpoint what, except a general sense of beat'em all games from the mid 1990's, which I think is what you're going for :-D

Looks about right, I'd eat that :-D

Dewfreak83

Neo Member
Hello All!

Long time lurker (some may recognize me from the IRC channel), first time poster.

Wanted to share my work-in-progress mobile gamebook: Heroes Guard. I'm always looking for strong criticism!

Here are some screenshots and GIFs:

Overall art-style
SFsfIZl.png

RPG aspects like an inventory - yay!
zkXbX0k.png

"Building" your character through choices
Xgj7bBl.gif

It took a while but they're in!

(click for larger version)

Many, many thanks to all of you! The audience certainly got quite a punch with all that added presence.
I'm going back to scripting stuff now, but if there's room for more people in another audience (or elsewhere?), I'll ask again here :-D

I alrerady told you on PM but I will say you again, incredible!
So good to see Leo and Annie cheering! Maybe I put the artwork I sent you here on saturday.

Love John Dudebro on the sides.

Our new Hollow Knight trailer has gone live! Please check it out. It's got a giant snail (along with many other surprises)!

still_zps5ba7b769.jpg

Hollow Knight: Weird and Wonderful World Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS-v4NMQkBg

Holly molly, weird and wonderful indeed.

Mighty

I haven't been keeping up with this thread as much as I should (so much good stuff!), but I wanted to share our first video footage of Poi (early, work-in-progress).

We're already hard at work implementing more platforming abilities, overworld gameplay & improving the visuals, but would love to get some early feedback.

Thanks everyone =)

(be sure to select 1080p60fps for the best viewing experience)

Davision

Neo Member
Adding actual characters for the traders/shopkeepers and animating them pre-rendered with shader animation.

First it did not work out that well:
c6hcIjN.gif

More under control:
IrLfHT2.gif

Bit much excited:
cqNr44R.gif

Magic:
CcwrcbG.gif

Kyuur

"Building" your character through choices
Xgj7bBl.gif

Feels like the stat up animation could be about 2x faster.

I haven't been keeping up with this thread as much as I should (so much good stuff!), but I wanted to share our first video footage of Poi (early, work-in-progress).

We're already hard at work implementing more platforming abilities, overworld gameplay & improving the visuals, but would love to get some early feedback.

Thanks everyone =)

Wow! I love the design of your character and the platforming looks top notch as well.

My only thought is maybe the camera could be a bit more zoomed out in some cases. Right now it feels like bit too close to an over-the-shoulder cam.

Mighty

Wow! I love the design of your character and the platforming looks top notch as well.

My only thought is maybe the camera could be a bit more zoomed out in some cases. Right now it feels like bit too close to an over-the-shoulder cam.

Thanks Kyuur, you make an excellent point. When I shot the footage, I was too worried about not being able to see the player, so I probably over compensated and zoomed too far in!

Xtra Mile

Neo Member
I definitely like the new name better, and I think it's less confusing in regards to the whole D.O.A. thing! The top font furiously reminds me of something but I can't pinpoint what, except a general sense of beat'em all games from the mid 1990's, which I think is what you're going for :-D

Thanks a lot, Peheese. I'm glad it's an improvement. Was a lot of back and forth until we finally got there on both the name and logo.

IT3TWN4.gif

Think that's my fire done. At least for the time being. It still needs sound, and I could probably do more with the visuals of it, but it seems to work pretty OK in multiplayer. The fire spread is almost entirely deterministic, so that means there's less for the server to do when pushing out RPC calls to everything. I might push the update out to my site and see what the real users find, since there's always bugs I can't predict that crop up once an update's live.

But, I'm pleased with its progress and hopefully I can apply fire in interesting ways to other systems in the game later on.

Hey look, you've recreated the November NPD thread in 3D!

Five

Banned

Thanks everyone =)

Great trailer! I love the art style and the platforming looked like lots of fun.

That said, I'm little concerned about how close the camera pulled in a couple of times. Generally speaking, you don't ever want there to be a circumstance where the platform that you're supposed to land on is out of frame. Also, I think some more reactive animations in the environment would be great. Specifically, the tree and the springboard would look even better if they were more bouncy I think.

Really well done, though. I can't wait to see more! :)

Kritz

Banned
Sometimes the simplest solutions are also the dumbest.

SoWTChc.gif

My knife skills need a bit of work.

EDIT:

5YNgSGU.gif

The mechanic doesn't really feel as... solid as I would like. An easy way to solve it would be to have a pre-programmed animation that delivers a big THUNK, but I feel as if that goes against the game's already established design.

Maybe if a player is holding a knife, and lets go off the arm button responcible for the knife, it thwacks the arm downward. The player could still be holding the knife and the arm would persist as an ingame object for as long as they held onto the knife.
Or maybe pressing middle mouse button swaps the arms between being active and holstered (but still in-world physics objects).

It's possible I could just have the arms ALWAYS exist within the world, but that poses a range of problems from technical to visual. I'll have to experiment and see where I can find the middle ground between sticking with the game's goals, and being fun to play.

Lilo_D

Haha! Thanks bkw! We've been using Stencyl for development, same as Jobbs on Ghost Song. We've been building it on and off for the last 5/6 months maybe? If we're successful with the Kickstarter we should be able to work a lot faster at getting things done.

Also, Gifs:

trailer_2_v04-2_zps3mgpcjic.gif

trailer_2_v04-3_zpskzv81czf.gif

trailer_2_v04-4_zpsajz9nncb.gif

rain_gif_zpsulwsapun.gif

Looks really good, keep going : )

SeanNoonan

B4tzHCsCcAIW8m1.png

So it's in submission... pretty unlikely that Apple review it before Christmas :\

jack_chrimbus_update.gif

...fixed up some art. Gonna start working on the next level for January... buffer the workload :D

Haha! Thanks bkw! We've been using Stencyl for development, same as Jobbs on Ghost Song. We've been building it on and off for the last 5/6 months maybe? If we're successful with the Kickstarter we should be able to work a lot faster at getting things done.

Game looks mad pretty. Based off Ghost Song it seems like a pretty decent game making program, are there any major limitations to it? Going to be making my first real game soon and I'm not 100% sure if I should go with Stencyl or Unity.

AriEX2

Game looks mad pretty. Based off Ghost Song it seems like a pretty decent game making program, are there any major limitations to it? Going to be making my first real game soon and I'm not 100% sure if I should go with Stencyl or Unity.

My experience with it is mostly artistic, but I've found Stencyl really simple to use. Stencyl's main strength seems to be its simplicity. For Hollow Knight we've been able to implement new enemies, moves and features super fast.

Saying that, Unity is ultimately a more powerful engine, though more complex as a result. It handles larger projects well, has a massive community around it and has output support for a bunch more platforms.

Construct 2 is also a very viable engine, sorta similar to Stencyl, but different in a lot of ways - simple, powerful, and also updated regularly (roughly a weekly basis). Unity is more powerful than both, but doesn't exactly have the kind of 2D-focused toolsets that Stencyl and Construct 2 do. I prefer C2, myself, but it's something of a personal preference thing. Honey and Jack B Nimble, for example, use C2, while Ghost Song and Hollow Knight use Stencyl, though, really, any of these games could be made with either toolset.

My experience with it is mostly artistic, but I've found Stencyl really simple to use. Stencyl's main strength seems to be its simplicity. For Hollow Knight we've been able to implement new enemies, moves and features super fast.

Saying that, Unity is ultimately a more powerful engine, though more complex as a result. It handles larger projects well, has a massive community around it and has output support for a bunch more platforms.

Ah, thanks a lot. Simple is prob the way to go seeing how it is a first project and all. It's a top down game so I could just use sprites, but I'd like to get a style that stands out, so now I just gotta find the right artist.

Got a kind of nervous excitement for this hahaah.

This week I added food into my game!, yeah hamburguers, pizza and many other things, even ramen!, my crew got tired of eating the boring space survival food rations so I finally got the time to add many things and also restaurants and other shops, so you can order different things to eat, buy armor, space suits, guns , electronics and other things.

FoodRestaurants.png

But restaurants are not only meant to be a place where you can eat "alone", you can let your crew sit there and chat, get better mood, or maybe sell illegal stuff, maybe visit a Cantina for more gray or shady business... I will stop here so you can wonder a little bit

Check more details at http://mysticrivergames.blogspot.jp/2014/12/food-restaurants-cantinas-and-others.html

F-Pina

B4tzHCsCcAIW8m1.png

So it's in submission... pretty unlikely that Apple review it before Christmas :\

jack_chrimbus_update.gif

...fixed up some art. Gonna start working on the next level for January... buffer the workload :D

Looks awesome man, really like your style.
We are also waiting on approval on Apple on our game, when did you submit yours?

F-Pina

Also, Gifs:

trailer_2_v04-2_zps3mgpcjic.gif

trailer_2_v04-3_zpskzv81czf.gif

trailer_2_v04-4_zpsajz9nncb.gif

rain_gif_zpsulwsapun.gif

This is so good!
Congrats! Just out of curiosity, how big is the team?

AriEX2

This is so good!
Congrats! Just out of curiosity, how big is the team?

Thanks! We're a team of 3 people for Hollow Knight: myself, william the coder and rohan, who's another artist we're hoping can join the project if the kickstarter is successful.

i've done the art and animation that's in the trailers so far, but i should note even william is a pretty great animator as well! it means he can implement a lot of stuff without having to come to me for additional assets. i just tidy things up a bit afterwards.

it also helps that he understands timing really well, so he gives everything a very nice feel.

So I wanted to put something of the new game Im working with some other people for scrennshot saturday (even if its more of an artwork than a screenshot). The game is called Skulldive and it's still in early stages, but going on well (we are creating the 3D hub now).
The artwork is main character Leo, a skeleton of an adventurer that just died in strange circustances and her now following sarcastic companion, Annie, a soul trapped in the gem of Leo's Gauntlet that will help him in his adventure.
Pehesse was kind enough to add both of them this week to the audience of his game :)

Pehesse

No movement in the Screenshot Saturday thread since last week! I can't post there twice in a row, so I'll just post here this week... Here's a gif to showcase most of the audience, but moving this time.

RashGroundedBrownbear.gif

It also shows some of Carrion Wind's new AI, though I couldn't get her to play nice and do her best counter moves in a gif-able fashion. Still, you should be able to see that the fight is slightly faster and she's a bit more aggressive than before, where you could endlessly stunlock her with simple moves.

I'm going back to the VN segment for a while now, to get fresher eyes on this whole match, so expect the next updates to be about dialog boxes and talking heads!

Jobbs

Banned
ever since I reinstalled my OS and started fresh, chrome can't manage these gif heavy pages anymore. it slows everything down to a crawl. same hardware, same OS, but a fresh install. no idea why. my video driver is up to date.

Blizzard

Banned
ever since I reinstalled my OS and started fresh, chrome can't manage these gif heavy pages anymore. it slows everything down to a crawl. same hardware, same OS, but a fresh install. no idea why. my video driver is up to date.
You might have gotten an updated version of Chrome. Other people were also saying Chrome can't handle GIFs anymore. Try FireFox and see if you still have the problem? It might not be your computer.

That said, GIFs -are- pretty heavy regardless. At the very least they make reloading the thread to read new messages slower.

Side note, I just updated FireFox today and got a bunch of sponsored websites added to the new tab page. That's new. :| At least you can turn them back off for now.

Kyuur

This is what all of us were talking about on the last page or the page before that. Latest Chrome GIF loading kills performance until they've finished loading.

You might have gotten an updated version of Chrome. Other people were also saying Chrome can't handle GIFs anymore. Try FireFox and see if you still have the problem? It might not be your computer.

That said, GIFs -are- pretty heavy regardless. At the very least they make reloading the thread to read new messages slower.

Side note, I just updated FireFox today and got a bunch of sponsored websites added to the new tab page. That's new. :| At least you can turn them back off for now.

Yep. Been having a bad time with the new Chrome, myself.

Nibel

More of a Chrome problem than anything. I can't click certain threads because of it.

GulAtiCa

I've started to record videos of my Wii U game again (ZaciSa's Last Stand) since I have a new patch coming out soon. Here is a look at one of my new maps in the Tower Defense game. BLOK DROP U. I actually got creative and made it so you can play BLOK DROP U (another indie game on Wii U), while you play ZaciSa. haha

B2XxtkCCIAAvea-.png

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz0dEy0sSZU

snarge

Bit of a #screenshotsaturday for our game Shattered. Short description: It's a twin stick shooter with lots of weapons and puzzle solving (puzzle solving not shown!)

Teleporters are stupid fun. Especially when projectiles go through them!
GlTMSta.gif

Weapon Combos: Detonate Bombs + AoE
CKLQMJF.gif

This is an awesome in-game level select we did for our first live demo.
SR47eAt.gif

This is me stress testing the Splitter weapon. Maintains 60fps, as long as it's in release (and not debug :p )
6900peP.gif

Let me know what you think!

Blizzard

Banned
Bit of a #screenshotsaturday for our game Shattered. Short description: It's a twin stick shooter with lots of weapons and puzzle solving (puzzle solving not shown!)

Let me know what you think!
Just FYI, there's an (awesome) game on Steam already called "Shatter", and 3 other games that are "Shattered [something]", so you may end up with a bit of name conflict if you're selling there.

snarge

Just FYI, there's an (awesome) game on Steam already called "Shatter", and 3 other games that are "Shattered [something]", so you may end up with a bit of name conflict if you're selling there.

It's a temp name. We originally called it "Bownanza"...and then took out all the bows and arrows, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom