• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I am really digging the graphics, I don't think that you should change them. The limited colour palette that you are using really makes the game stand out.

Are all of your screens hand drawn or did you create low resolution versions of stock images?

Low-resed stock images. I can't draw at all, only know how to use Photoshop. :)

I wish there was an easy way for me to draw or paint well though.

razu

In a fit of madness I added drop shadows to elements at VAMflax.com, and added Buy buttons to the Chopper Mike page.

Almost happy, although I think the header needs to be the same grey as the box "info" is in, and showing a white border above it..

QxcQvnR.jpg

I'm doing level design for my senior studio game project, a 2D platformer called Prisma. Think Super Meat Boy meets the switching mechanic of Ikaruga/Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams but with Wind Waker-type visuals. Here's a dev diary from last quarter:

http://imaginaryplaymates.net/ideas/

Most of the screenshots here are from when the environment was entirely whiteboxed but we've started placing game assets the past week. There are 9 playable levels right now, working on a few more and polishing these.

If anyone wants to play and complete a survey, let me know and I'll send you a build. I'd really appreciate the feedback.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
I made a new video of one of the features of my game.

I set out to make a one-touch platformer that didn't require directional movement. So the little box just moves back and forth between the walls of the room. But when it touches a wall, its speed increases. This can be a bad thing for stages that require precise timing, but it can also help you to reach areas that you couldn't before:

Here's a clip

And here is a bonus clip of a stage where I got too much speed

razu

I made a new video of one of the features of my game.

I set out to make a one-touch platformer that didn't require directional movement. So the little box just moves back and forth between the walls of the room. But when it touches a wall, its speed increases. This can be a bad thing for stages that require precise timing, but it can also help you to reach areas that you couldn't before:

Here's a clip

And here is a bonus clip of a stage where I got too much speed

So gonna buy that game. Looks wicked :D

Dali

I'm doing level design for my senior studio game project, a 2D platformer called Prisma. Think Super Meat Boy meets the switching mechanic of Ikaruga/Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams but with Wind Waker-type visuals. Here's a dev diary from last quarter:

http://imaginaryplaymates.net/ideas/

Most of the screenshots here are from when the environment was entirely whiteboxed but we've started placing game assets the past week. There are 9 playable levels right now, working on a few more and polishing these.

If anyone wants to play and complete a survey, let me know and I'll send you a build. I'd really appreciate the feedback.

That looks pretty fun. I was thinking about throwing the Ikaruga mechanic into my game too. Not sure that idea will make it to fruition though.

Vark

Really awesome work going on in this thread. I think I'm finally at a level of productivity where I feel ok participating and not just lurking.

I've been playing around with a turn based ship RPG, there's a lot of work that clearly doesn't show up in screenshots but I'm starting to prototype in some combat elements.

Warning, 'functional' art incoming:

battlev1.png

I'll have super basic scratch damage and cool downed abilities in by the end of the day, then I'm going to prototype different ways to actually make it meaningful / exciting.

Does anyone have any good examples of turn based iOS rpgs that they really like? My biggest problem with most of them is I don't really thing faux d-pads work and cutscenes / talky bits aren't all that fun on my phone (hyper short attention span).

Gilby

Got climbable surfaces working this weekend! Not a huge deal obviously, but I learned how to use triggers in Unity. Now I only need to get a couple more game elements coded before I let myself work on the art some more. :)

razu

Thanks. I'm hoping to get it done in May some time.

Next project, it's done when it's done. Chopper Mike was out in November... :D

I did take some advice to not rush it though, and that totally paid off. So yeah, no rush man! Take your time and put out a wicked game you're proud of!

Hey guys, need some opinions on a possible iphone/ipad platformer game.

I have been switching back and forth between lots of possible themes/art styles and i came up with this one last week.

boganboxart.png

I think that going the weird/funny route might help it stand out a bit. In australia they are known as Bogans, but i think the american equivalent would be rednecks.

Health potions would be beer, unsure on enemies yet (police maybe ?) and missions might be rescuing your princess shazza and your 9 kids from some evil. Level themes might be collecting car parts/ cigarette packets and some other out there style objectives.

The other thing im unsure about is whether to do a Mario style pure platformer or a megaman style platform and shooter.

Do you like this idea ?

Dynamite Shikoku

Next project, it's done when it's done. Chopper Mike was out in November... :D

I did take some advice to not rush it though, and that totally paid off. So yeah, no rush man! Take your time and put out a wicked game you're proud of!

Yeah, I originally planned to be finished around November last year. I'm glad I'm taking it a bit more slowly, as there are a lot of little things I have been adding or fixing that I wouldn't have done had I released it last year.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just wondering, are there any easy-to-implement 3D graphic engines for C++ (Eclipse)? Just to note I have a fair background on OpenGL. I want to try sampling a 2.5D scene (something like Xenogears, 3D backgrounds but the characters are sprites). Any recommendations on what I can do and/or what I should use?

Just wondering, are there any easy-to-implement 3D graphic engines for C++ (Eclipse)? Just to note I have a fair background on OpenGL. I want to try sampling a 2.5D scene (something like Xenogears, 3D backgrounds but the characters are sprites). Any recommendations on what I can do and/or what I should use?

There are lots of options with different strengths. Ogre3d, irrlicht and torque might be good places to start. Also Unity if you are not tied to c++.

ULTROS!

There are lots of options with different strengths. Ogre3d, irrlicht and torque might be good places to start. Also Unity if you are not tied to c++.

What are the strengths of Ogre3D, irrlicht and Torque?

I tried Unity for 2.5D though but it didn't come out as nicely.

Excuse me if this gets kinda live-journalie

I'm a few years behind all you brilliant mother fuckers, but I just started getting back into gamedev. I've always had a halting, kinda shitty relationship with it, even though game design is basically what I've wanted to do with all 30 years of my life. I started this year by applying to NYU's gamecenter for an MFA in gamedesign.

After a hellacious 2 weeks to get the application in, I decided to get to work and start desinging a damn game. I have a tendency to put up a bunch of barriers to myself "Ohh, make a game, well you HAVE to do it C, and you have to teach yourself C, and directX and windows programming!" and then I get partway in, get bored of doing non game related things, and walk away. Back in college, I took on a project to build a game, did the same thing, worked long hours, had a shitty result, I think that's a big reason why I didn't pursue it farther. The farthest I've gotten since then was a basic tetris clone in XNA.

So last weekend I decided I'd take a different track, and reduce my barriers to entry, keep it simple, an get right into the game making, less with the other shit. I downloaded Love2D and started tinkering. I've never used Lua, so I thought I was doing it to myself again for a moment, but Lua is easy as shit, it's basically javascript with more syntactic wonk, and less architecture wonk.

I'm only a few hours in so far, but I've made a ton of progress, and I"m really enjoying it. I've got a unified coordinate system for collisions, and then translations to render it. Some really basic movement stuff, and more. Love is a nice little thing for prototyping games, or building something simple.

So I came back full circle, and I'm going back and trying to remake that game I tried to make in college and fell flat on my face doing. My idea is to look at a sports game as an RTS, with very limited direct control of your players. I'm focusing on Ultimate Frisbee, my sport of choice.

Right now the plan is over the next couple of months to take it in stages. First stage is basic game up and running, all graphics are primitives, 3 players on a side moving around with basic pathing, collision and interactions. The frisbee will have really simple phyiscs. Add in a bunch of debug options and tools.

Stage two will be to improve interactivitity, work on some ideas I have to make the "Sports game seen through RTS tropes" work. make the opposing AI interesting to play against, make disc physics realistic etc.

Stage 3 will be visuals, move to sprits, animations, flare etc. Add a few different traditional ultimate plays.

At this point, I'll stop, and see if it's fun. If this idea works I'll keep expanding on it, maybe port it out of LUA, and try to jump to 3D, but that's at least 4-6 months away. First step, just make something fun, and something I'm proud of.

Right now though, it's good, I can see progress every time I put some work in, and that makes me happy, and I"m getting a good hour in every night, I hope to maintain that.

Ogre is probably ideal if you just want to make something that looks great but doesn't do a lot. Torque has all your "game engine" bits and irrlicht is somewhere in between.

It really depends how far you want to go and what you mean by "c++". Cryengine might even do the job.

Dynamite Shikoku

Excuse me if this gets kinda live-journalie

I'm a few years behind all you brilliant mother fuckers, but I just started getting back into gamedev. I've always had a halting, kinda shitty relationship with it, even though game design is basically what I've wanted to do with all 30 years of my life. I started this year by applying to NYU's gamecenter for an MFA in gamedesign.

After a hellacious 2 weeks to get the application in, I decided to get to work and start desinging a damn game. I have a tendency to put up a bunch of barriers to myself "Ohh, make a game, well you HAVE to do it C, and you have to teach yourself C, and directX and windows programming!" and then I get partway in, get bored of doing non game related things, and walk away. Back in college, I took on a project to build a game, did the same thing, worked long hours, had a shitty result, I think that's a big reason why I didn't pursue it farther. The farthest I've gotten since then was a basic tetris clone in XNA.

So last weekend I decided I'd take a different track, and reduce my barriers to entry, keep it simple, an get right into the game making, less with the other shit. I downloaded Love2D and started tinkering. I've never used Lua, so I thought I was doing it to myself again for a moment, but Lua is easy as shit, it's basically javascript with more syntactic wonk, and less architecture wonk.

I'm only a few hours in so far, but I've made a ton of progress, and I"m really enjoying it. I've got a unified coordinate system for collisions, and then translations to render it. Some really basic movement stuff, and more. Love is a nice little thing for prototyping games, or building something simple.

So I came back full circle, and I'm going back and trying to remake that game I tried to make in college and fell flat on my face doing. My idea is to look at a sports game as an RTS, with very limited direct control of your players. I'm focusing on Ultimate Frisbee, my sport of choice.

Right now the plan is over the next couple of months to take it in stages. First stage is basic game up and running, all graphics are primitives, 3 players on a side moving around with basic pathing, collision and interactions. The frisbee will have really simple phyiscs. Add in a bunch of debug options and tools.

Stage two will be to improve interactivitity, work on some ideas I have to make the "Sports game seen through RTS tropes" work. make the opposing AI interesting to play against, make disc physics realistic etc.

Stage 3 will be visuals, move to sprits, animations, flare etc. Add a few different traditional ultimate plays.

At this point, I'll stop, and see if it's fun. If this idea works I'll keep expanding on it, maybe port it out of LUA, and try to jump to 3D, but that's at least 4-6 months away. First step, just make something fun, and something I'm proud of.

Right now though, it's good, I can see progress every time I put some work in, and that makes me happy, and I"m getting a good hour in every night, I hope to maintain that.

Sounds interesting. I'd like to see how it turns out. You should keep posting your progress in here.

Feep

Banned
Yo, GAF! (This is my third post in as many threads. Don't hurt me, mods!)

I'm launching a Kickstarter project in a couple days, and I'd like about ten of you guys to give me some feedback. Ideally, you:

1) Think I am cool
2) Are bored
3) Are extremely honest
4) Have a lot of experience with gaming Kickstarter projects, and understand what facets help to make a successful project, and
5) CAN KEEP A SECRET. Seriously, it would be actually cause significant damage if word were to get out before Friday, so it's really, really important you don't tell anyone. Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease.

If you'd like to take a look and offer some advice, let me know! I'll PM you a link to the Kickstarter preview page.

Thanks!

qq more

I'm launching a Kickstarter project in a couple days, and I'd like about ten of you guys to give me some feedback. Ideally, you:

1) Like me
2) Are bored
3) Are extremely honest
4) Have a lot of experience with gaming Kickstarter projects, and understand what facets help to make a successful project, and
5) CAN KEEP A SECRET. Seriously, it would be actually cause significant damage if word were to get out before Friday, so it's really, really important you don't tell anyone. Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease.

If you'd like to take a look and offer some advice, let me know! I'll PM you a link to the Kickstarter preview page.

Thanks!
Damn I only fit 3 of those (or 4 depending what you mean by "like me")

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

1) Think I am cool NOPE
2) Are bored NEVER
3) Are extremely honest YES
4) Have a lot of experience with gaming Kickstarter projects, and understand what facets help to make a successful project I only see trends, but sorta?
5) CAN KEEP A SECRET. Seriously, it would be actually cause significant damage if word were to get out before Friday, so it's really, really important you don't tell anyone. I got more NDAs then fingers and toes, sonPleasepleasepleasepleaseplease.

Thanks!
BOOM

Astery

I'm about to launch a free game app to the iOS store within the month and I'm looking for some money to recoup the cost via ads. Is there any that you guys recommend? I prefer services that includes payment for impressions instead of pure CTR. From what I heard iAds isn't that great, and I'm not too sure about Admob. Thanks for any direction:)

adixon

1) Think I am cool
2) Are bored
3) Are extremely honest

Thanks!

I've followed a bunch of gaming kickstarters (really good way to procrastinate...) and would be glad to help out if you're looking for more feedback.

1) Think I am cool
2) Are bored
3) Are extremely honest

Thanks!
1) Sure, you're pretty cool.
2) *Yawn*
3) I'm a games critic so I'd like to think so.
4) I think I could, sure.
5) I'm used to embargoes so it'd be another day in the office for me.

BlueMagic

For anyone who has worked with XNA before:
Is there any library worth checking out? I'm not a big fan of getting 3rd party libraries into a project, but sometimes they really help. I know there's a lot of them, but I'm looking for something useful that expands XNA features. Specially concerning things like tween functions, and broadphase collision detection.

Blizzard

Banned

1) Think I am cool
2) Are bored
3) Are extremely honest

Thanks!
Ooh, you can email me at totally-not-secretly-kotaku@kotaku.com. I'm super trustworthy and non-leaky.

Seriously, I don't know much about Kickstarters, but good luck.

RSP

At my company, we have started a projected called Protocannon. It's basically an outlet for our ideas that we simply don't get around to develop due to our "regular" projects.

Once every two months, we have a game jam with everybody at the office, we focus on getting a prototype ready that we can share with the world, and by means of crowdfunding, we hope to be able to develop it into a full title.

The first result is in, and I'm very happy with how it turned out. It's called Tower Master, based on a concept by one of the guys in my team. What you do is build a tower (loaded with traps) and you gather some friends to play a game with. Each player selects a tower to bring to the game, and ... well perhaps you should see what happens.

Check out more info on the game on the Protocannon page (you can also download the prototype from here). Donations are not mandatory, but greatly appreciated :)

I'm currently watching your Devlog 1 video. Your battle system seems ingenious. It's unique but at the same time looks like it's been refined and you know exactly what you're doing with it.

Oh, and the teaser was nice too. Your art is just top notch.

Thank you! Indeed I did a lot of prototyping, the gameplay has evolved considerably over the course of the project (I can probably make 3 or 4 more games out of the discarded prototypes). Some things have changed since this video was shot, but the base gameplay is still more or less the same.

Should have a more robust trailer coming soon!

I'm currently watching your Devlog 1 video. Your battle system seems ingenious. It's unique but at the same time looks like it's been refined and you know exactly what you're doing with it.

Oh, and the teaser was nice too. Your art is just top notch.

Agreed, genius twist on the puzzle battle. Consider this bought day 1, I love your style too!

I hate revising sprites, I felt all the animations were ok about 2 months ago but have spent the last 2 days going over each animation and tweaking it, they look better but it's time I should be spending fixing water bugs and adding more to the game itself!

Make doubly sure it's released in the JP store. Have you considered a JP localization?

I hate revising sprites, I felt all the animations were ok about 2 months ago but have spent the last 2 days going over each animation and tweaking it, they look better but it's time I should be spending fixing water bugs and adding more to the game itself!
The perfectionist loop is easy to fall into. Give them another pass once everything else is done; I have made things look "better" to me, but then I watch them alongside other animations and suddenly I realize why I made a certain compromise to begin with.

At least that's what I tell myself...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom