• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Thread 3: Indie Jones and the Template of Doom

MujkicHaris

In May 2020, besides AI programming, I am working on a new feature that's quite important for the "regular" gameplay. Modeling some characters and weapons.
PS Vita tests of scenes show 53-60 FPS without any in-depth optimizations done.

8a4891bda4eb4cb8b4e5a3432fc05d0c6c118bf7.jpg

Before the Beginning
Concept art

Videospel

finished 3d (sprite scaling) bonus levels, everything except backgrounds (decoration), sound and the player's ship. I used to compare it to Space Harrier but gameplay is closer to GI Joe arcade, or maybe Thunder Blade. Jerkiness is from capture, not from the game

there is also this video from a few days ago, there are some missing elements in last level but it seems less jerky, or at least less fuzzy

I think it looks cool, but is there a reason you placed the player so far away from the camera? As it is now, it looks like the player is given a very short time to react to newly spawned objects. The lower 50% of the playing field only shows objects which have already passed you by and no longer have any function, gameplay-wise. Will be nice to see how this presents with sound and final graphics!

I think it looks cool, but is there a reason you placed the player so far away from the camera? As it is now, it looks like the player is given a very short time to react to newly spawned objects. The lower 50% of the playing field only shows objects which have already passed you by and no longer have any function, gameplay-wise. Will be nice to see how this presents with sound and final graphics!

Hi, tnx for your feedback. I am aware there is time to react since I test it as I am developing it, and the camera distance, angle and so on were chosen by trial and error, testing which parameters would look good; but I see you are right about the part about half the screen not being used game-wise. I will check that again for next release which I hope will be soon

is there a reason you placed the player so far away from the camera? As it is now, it looks like the player is given a very short time to react to newly spawned objects. The lower 50% of the playing field only shows objects which have already passed you by and no longer have any function, gameplay-wise.

Hi, could not push it back that much and it may not even make a difference. According to the notes in my code I already had tried that, but it turns out the elements that pass you by are not useless game-wise; for example, there are 'proximity mines' that activate when you get close but don't explode instantly; instead they kind of have a count down and then explode. If I place the camera too close to the ship the explosion still affects the player but the explosion may not be visible on screen, leaving the player with a wtf did just happen. The things below the ship on the screen are way closer that the things above the ship

MujkicHaris

In June 2020 I am moving to production of a new location for combat gameplay. Each environment in ALT BOSNIA will have unique handpainted textures, no reuse. I am also planning to research and write a shader that's quite important for visual storytelling in the game.

ba6d0f74c252e51ae622778dca67518424dc3078.jpg

Šeher Hills Sunset
Screenshot

JackAstral

Neo Member
I developed a story-driven, turn-based RPG called "View From Below" in Game Maker 1.4 over 2 years. It's inspired by games like Undertale, Earthbound and Super Mario RPG. (Nintendo fan through and through heheh.)

Here's some gameplay from one of the first Boss Battles:

I finally released it on May 22nd on Steam:

I'm really happy to be finished finally. I've made a lot of old, crappy flash stuff in the past, but this was my first "real" game that I actually put a tonne of effort into. People seem to quite like it so far so it's a pretty cool feeling, phew (I was legit expecting it to sell like 3 copies and everyone to hate it LOL)

Last edited:

MujkicHaris

In July 2020 I am going back to robot and character modeling. Location texture painting and modeling stays the main focus. Planning to edit parts of the screenplay too.

5bf5fe7f44ace508fc066aa8fbacfa320d1e8426.jpg

Reactions: Fuz
Hi fellow developers!

I'm working in a Test-Driven Development and Continuous Integration project in Unreal Engine 4 on Windows and created a project template for it, so others don't have the same headaches as I did while trying to make it work.
I made it in Unreal Engine 4.22, but I'm sure you'll be able to migrate it to later versions.

I uploaded the full repository to GitHub. Anyone is able to use it and modify it at their will:

Project Template

My motivation to do it was that making tests, building and waiting on the editor to run the tests was tedious and time consuming.
Instead, I created a Jenkins multibranch pipeline to do all the process for me. It builds and runs tests really fast and it even notifies me via Slack the results of the build. :messenger_beaming:

I have to say that I didn't make anything revolutionary, I just read what others have done and adapted it to my needs.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. :messenger_winking:

Alberto Mikulan.

Anna2FOR2

Neo Member
Hi there, and welcome aboard!

If it's not too much trouble, you can give a brief introduction and a little about your game over in this thread as well:
Of course! It is absolutely my pleasure!
We are an indie team of two people, making a 3D point and click adventure KAPIA

The game is about a small girl Reny and her grandfather Stefan. Together they are on the quest to solve the mystery of an ongoing war and to free the world from an intelligent infection.
The game is created in a classical style of 2000s. You get to play for either Reny or Stefan and explore the world from two different standpoints.

• Levels that feature Stefan is where you learn the background story. Puzzles are more dialogue-oriented, the gameplay experience is tilted towards thoughtful and mysterious.

• Reny’s levels are designed to have less narrative and more mechanics oriented puzzles. Reny will be your window into private relationships between characters as they open up in their attitude towards a small girl.

After a long time in development, we are going to address the Kickstarter backers on September 15th.
If you like waht we are up to, KAPIA could definately use some support. :)
I will leave a link here, right at the very bottom, so no one gets annoyed XD

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Wait what? Didn't know we had a thread for game devs!

Here's a video of a little something I'm working on:

The idea is to mix the gameplay of something like Nuclear Throne with the progression and level-design of the classic DOOM.

Right now it's lacking proper enemy AI, dynamic lights and a tileset that doesn't suck. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Once I have that done I'll add a few more enemies and make a few more levels for a demo.

yurinka

Im working on Rawal Rumble, this indie beat'em up set in a cyberpunk Neo-Barcelona. The team it's me working almost full time on it, a friend who from time to time help with environment art, a programmer who programmed the prototype and the musician.

We make it with Game Maker Studio and Photoshop, and are also working on a phisical arcade version, a premium custom arcade stick for the modern recent console generations and a retro arcade stick for 8 and 16 bits computers (partnering with a brand who was popular in Spain back then making arcade sticks for computers).

We post updates using the Twitter hashtag #RawalRumble from our account @Anarkade

stage1.png

stage2a.png

stage2b.png

stage4.png

stage5.png

Last edited:

MujkicHaris

In January 2021 I want to further polish the 0.1 demo of ALT BOSNIA. This means fixing overlooked bugs and doing another pass for models and textures. I will also test the demo on PS Vita. Last time it pushed 55-60 FPS.
ALT BOSNIA is a coin, one side is blue. Another yellow.

f9ca5002d06c17a384ac2a1996fb9dcf98e2eaf2.jpg

ZJENICA X3
Concept art

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Im working on Rawal Rumble, this indie beat'em up set in a cyberpunk Neo-Barcelona. The team it's me working almost full time on it, a friend who from time to time help with environment art, a programmer who programmed the prototype and the musician.

We make it with Game Maker Studio and Photoshop, and are also working on a phisical arcade version, a premium custom arcade stick for the modern recent console generations and a retro arcade stick for 8 and 16 bits computers (partnering with a brand who was popular in Spain back then making arcade sticks for computers).

We post updates using the Twitter hashtag #RawalRumble from our account @Anarkade

stage1.png

stage2a.png

stage2b.png

stage4.png

stage5.png
Looks awesome. Keep it up people. Also... "Pelotas" huh? :lollipop_content:

yurinka

Looks awesome. Keep it up people. Also... "Pelotas" huh? :lollipop_content:
Thanks! Originally the artwork wasn't that tall because in the prototype we had a smaller original screen resolution. So you were able to read only the lower part of that and you were able to only read ...'utas' or ...'otas', the player was the one who had to guess what's in the start of the word because you wasn't able to read it.

Very likely the environment artist originally meant to put there 'putas' but when drawing an additional part of the background in the top side to adapt it for a taller native resolution, I assume he decided to add 'pelotas' to make it more politically correct because by reading it directly would be maybe too gross instead of a joke.

TintoConCasera

Thanks! Originally the artwork wasn't that tall because in the prototype we had a smaller original screen resolution. So you were able to read only the lower part of that and you were able to only read ...'utas' or ...'otas', the player was the one who had to guess what's in the start of the word because you wasn't able to read it.

Very likely the environment artist originally meant to put there 'putas' but when drawing an additional part of the background in the top side to adapt it for a taller native resolution, I assume he decided to add 'pelotas' to make it more politically correct because by reading it directly would be maybe too gross instead of a joke.
Gotta love when artists put that kind of stuff in the game. It really shows how they care about it when they want to include their little details and jokes like those.

Keep it up! Game is looking great.

MujkicHaris

In February 2021 I am going back to modeling/texturing new content for the mission locations & characters/robots + writing mission logic. I also plan to look into implementing decals and some other effects.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Damn, was looking for this thread so much lately! I've been working on something small, mostly for practicing my code skills, so probably will share soon since it's almost done

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
I recently finished a project I started in 2017 (fukin' finally!!) where you pilot a spaceship, remotely inspired by Lunar Lander. I should really make a trailer soon.

And a tiny fun project: A stupid ch0Nky pixel Aquarium.

You can download all my shit for free here.
For Windows and some are for Android too.

Last edited:

MujkicHaris

Due to PlayStation Store on PS Vita closing soon ALT BOSNIA for PS Vita is no longer in development.
The development continues with PC platform being the new focus. Other platforms will follow once the PC version of ALT BOSNIA is shipped.

ff04efd4479dad5c7a0b7f4a94c714d4d3567175.jpg

Mcdohl

Hi guys!

Episode 2 of my Japanese-style RPG series Light Fairytale is now available to play on Steam Early Access. It's been a long and difficult road but it's getting there!

Here's the store page: store.steampowered.com/app/1199760

And here's the launch trailer. Any thoughts?

How have I not heard of this before? This is amazing!

I'm also working on an indie JRPG myself! Here's a gameplay clip! Good ol' exploration and turn-based combat :)

Kataploom

Gold Member
How have I not heard of this before? This is amazing!

I'm also working on an indie JRPG myself! Here's a gameplay clip! Good ol' exploration and turn-based combat :)

People will say whatever about "cheap pixelart" but damn it looks so pretty! I'll definitely like it more than 3D fornite wannabes lol

Kataploom

Gold Member
626.png
Z3xqdVY.gif

643.jpg
458.jpg

Hey guys 😉

After 3 months in Early Access, Episode 2 of my Japanese-style RPG series Light Fairytale is now fully released on Steam!

Here's the store page: store.steampowered.com/app/1199760

Please check it out! Thanks 😊
This is looking so good! I like the episodic structure since you're indie and that, I guess, helps you build an audience... I already wishlisted the first episode to get it later this year...

This is the type of games I've always wanted to make so it makes me happy to see this being done, but I'm still making some Unity prototypes to improve my game project management skills before going all-in like you (currently working on a clone of Super Mario W1-1 level, almost complete, I'll show later around here!)

CloudDarkson

Neophyte
Hello friends,
I'm a developer and wanting to get some feedback on my game.
It's free to download on Steam (I won't drop a link, you can search the title "Enherjar Synergy").
It is a Ultra Futuristic Dark Neon Arena FPS, created by a real Major League Pro who has 20 years of experience in the genre & Top-tier National LAN tourney play,
our engine designed to remove all major gameplay imbalances found in other traditional shooters, for the fastest & fairest gameplay mechanics that AFPS games have ever seen.
It was built from the ground up specifically for Esports Tournament play.

Here's a gameplay, let me know what you think! I'm wanting to have a real, detailed discussion here.

header.jpg

ss_79508a9d25e77ed5dbfcbeeb3da263dfa72b6a7c.600x338.jpg

ss_819a54b525dd121583d8c2465d9ce4bb3ca0ea63.600x338.jpg

As the developer of Enherjar Synergy, I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.

udkultimate

Finally, after almost 10 years working on this game, since 2009, it is finally released on Steam!

I thought it would take more days for my game being approved by Steam Review Team, however, today the wait is over, today is a GREAT day for my life, for my dream of becoming a game developer.

Against all the odds, despite all the controversy around my game, despite anything, finally now my game is officialy on Steam, the biggest platform for digital gaming.

This is indeed a great achievement for my life. No arab muslim game developer before me was able to make a game about the Struggle of Palestinian people against Israeli Oppresion in a global scope like Fursan al-Aqsa, a game, that despite being a small indie game, but it has a very important underlying message.

As many of you know, I am a brazilian muslim, son of a Palestinian Resistance Fighter, and I always wanted to tell the history of my father, and the history of my people, the palestinian people and their resistance against oppression. Through this game I want to show to the whole World that Fighting for Freedom is NOT Terrorism, Fighting for Life is NOT Terrorism, Fighting for Protecting the Homeland is NOT Terrorism, Fighting against the Oppressor and its Savagery, which kills innocent children and civilians, is NOT Terrorism, that Palestinian Resistance is NOT Terrorism!

And today I feel I am close to accomplish this mission.

Again, I ask you all to please wishlist my game on Steam, as this helps me too much.

And if you did not download the demo yet, please, download it now from Steam.

Top Bottom