• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

INDIE GAME : The Movie Thread: Out 12 June on DD | Steam | iTunes

MRORANGE

iZDIlvZxamJkt.png

DD Relase Date : 12 June 2012 ( Website | Steam | iTunes ) (Steam version has a 3.1GB 1080p mp4 file)

Retail : http://shop.indiegamethemovie.com/, there is also a special edition coming out soon, with extended content on DVD/Blu-ray.

Cinema : January 20, 2012 (Sundance) showing at selective film circuits around the world

Wesbite : http://www.indiegamethemovie.com

Directed by : James Swirsky & Lisanne Pajot

Movie length : 96 minutes

iz3ENo11tiasi.png

id53ggGWwA6Ip.png
ibhZCYqT9W1cLh.png
i1B7oEGq0IyHr.png
iM8b6VZRdrDbx.jpg

iR3Uf320gerA0.png
ibiJ80WxvuucEK.png
ibom82uRMhubw2.png
iW8Iq5qwavEhy.png

ibkXCaFbCMYtKd.png

About :

With the twenty-first century comes a new breed of struggling independent artist: the indie game designer. Refusing to toil for major
developers, these innovators independently conceive, design, and program their distinctly personal games in the hope that they, too, may
find success.

"After two years of painstaking work, designer Edmund McMillen and programmer Tommy Refenes await the release of their first major
game for Xbox, Super Meat Boy—the adventures of a skinless boy in search of his girlfriend, who is made of bandages. At PAX, a major
video-game expo, developer Phil Fish unveils his highly anticipated, four-years-in-the-making FEZ. Jonathan Blow considers beginning a
new game after creating Braid, one of the highest-rated games of all time.

First-time filmmaking duo Lisanne Pajot and James Swirsky capture the emotional journey of these meticulously obsessive artists who
devote their lives to their interactive art. Four developers, three games, and one ultimate goal— to express oneself through a video game."

Indie Devs, Journalists and other people working in the indie scene :

- Edmund McMillen and Tommy Refenes (Super Meat Boy)
- Phil Fish and Renaud Bédard (Fez)
- Jonathan Blow (Braid/The Witness)
- Ron Carmel (World of Goo)
- Brandon Boyer (The Independent Games Festival)
- Anthony Carboni (Bytejacker)
- Gus Mastrapa (Contributor Wired, EGM, Edge)

iz3ENo11tiasi.png

ibjBbmQ4yicz4c.png

ibaWbqFMNMpAv8.png

Metacritic
Rotten Tomatoes
Imdb

Awards:

2012 Sundance Official Selection World Documentary Competition
2012 Sundance Winner for Best Editing in World Documentary Cinema
2012 South by Southwest Official Selection
2012 Hot Docs Festival & Hot Docs Live Official Selection

Baha

I just noticed that it includes a commentary track by the team meat guys, I think I'll pick this up tonight.

MRORANGE

Does anyone know if this will be available in stores at some point?

They haven't even made the retail copies live yet I presume, but in due time.

So, it's not going to be free I'm guessing

The project was originally a kickstarter campaign, to make it into a full production documentary to sell.

Does it have achievements?

enduring Phil Fish talking about Japanese games would have been a great achievement to have.

abrack08

Want to see. I saw that it came to the Alamo Drafthouse by my place the day after they showed it, I was pretty mad I missed it. Wonder if this'll get to Netflix soon?

omgkitty

Anyone else feel that $70 for the special edition blu-ray is absolutely outrageous? I know this is a indie thing and all that, but come on!

Anyone else feel that $70 for the special edition blu-ray is absolutely outrageous? I know this is a indie thing and all that, but come on!

Yeah, I agree. I'm going to stick with the Steam version and if it happens to appear on Amazon or in stores I'll buy a physical copy.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Looks interesting. Always up for supporting the Indies. And for $10, I will buy it.

It's up on iTunes it seems. Debating on buying it on there or on Steam, it's a little cheaper on Steam but I'd like the option of putting it on my iPhone.

Cmagus

So if you get this on Steam do you actually get the movie or is it just a rental like alot of online sites do?

Misguided

Banned

Not really going to defend the high price, but the guys filmed a lot of indie devs, not just Jon, Ed, Tommy, and Phil. A LOT. All that stuff is going on the special edition. Some stuff hasn't even been filmed yet, apparently.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
A movie on Steam is a neat novelty... But in this case, I probably don't want it on that service. I assume the movie does get locked to Steam?

I want to be able to put it in my digital media collection.

Not really going to defend the high price, but the guys filmed a lot of indie devs, not just Jon, Ed, Tommy, and Phil. A LOT. All that stuff is going on the special edition. Some stuff hasn't even been filmed yet, apparently.

So not only is it $70, you don't get the movie when everyone else does?

abrack08

Ugh, I bought it on iTunes because I wanted to watch it tonight, but the estimated DL time is 10 hours. My internet is NOT that shitty. Could have saved a couple dollars and bought it elsewhere tomorrow.

Zia

Purchased and will remote download via the Steam app!

A note about the Steam edition: it's actually a Final Hours of Portal 2-style application developed by Adam Atomic. They'll be updating it with new content, and want to eventually include achievements. : )

AHA-Lambda

Had it pre ordered on iTunes and then the price went up for no reason since I pre-ordered it! :(

So I've switched my pre-order to Steam as it was the cheapest. Slightly worrying that the pre-order only shows up under my All Games tab but not under my Mac Games tab though, sure that'll be nothing though it's a movie after all and it does say SteamPlay on the page.

Just watched it! Great movie!

Gave an intersting insight in indie game development, the people behind it and how they are not much different from us.

Also Phil Fish has been redeemed for me. He has some very strange views but he seems to be a nice guy after all.

There's now a play now button on the store page but I click on it and nothing happens (Mac).

Edit: Quit and reload Steam and it should be available to download from your games list.

iavi

A note about the Steam edition: it's actually a Final Hours of Portal 2-style application developed by Adam Atomic. They'll be updating it with new content, and want to eventually include achievements. : )

Well, this changes everything. Steam it is.

MRORANGE

is now available to watch on Steam.

Benefits of Steam version:

- 1080P, full HD video application.

- ‘Team Meat’ Audio Commentary Track: Edmund McMillen and Tommy Refenes provide their various insights throughout the film. Hilarious, informative and sometimes outright lies. It’s a great compliment to the film.

- Subtitle / Language Support: The IGTM steam application will support the following subtitles: English, English (descriptive), French,Italian, Portuguese (Brazil) and Traditional Chinese (more to come in future updates).

- Video Extras: Assorted video pieces produced during the production of the film.

Picked up on Steam, maybe my opinion of Fish will change; but the movie looks pretty awesome anyway. I always long for documentaries about the industry.

Suairyu

Banned
Just bought on Steam (it was the cheaperest) with less than 10 minutes to go. Thank god I saw this thread.

edit - holy fuck the price of that SE Blu Ray. That's the sort of content that's meant to come for free in the regular release, not the super-special-omg-edition. What a rip price. Especially annoyed because I want to see that Jenova Chen interview.

Vert boil

Nice to finally see after two years.

Given the time between theatrical and digital/retail release I would have expect them to at least put a text scroll at the end to update the status of all of the projects, not just the completed ones.

It's easy to be irritated about certain aspects of how they rolled out the docu but apart from some indie filming bollocks it's a solid documentary.

Salsa

Not at home atm but I assume there's a digital copy waiting for me as an original backer of the kickstart?

If I buy the Steam version, can I only watch it on that device?
Or am I given a movie file I can take elsewhere? i.e. if I want to watch it at a friends

MRORANGE

Not at home atm but I assume there's a digital copy waiting for me as an original backer of the kickstart?

yes, I presume all backers got a DD (DRM free version) copy of the game.

If I buy the Steam version, can I only watch it on that device?
Or am I given a movie file I can take elsewhere? i.e. if I want to watch it at a friends

It's a interactive application, like the last hours of portal, I don't think you can put in a portable device.

Good news, I've just checked my Steam folder and while you're supposed to watch the movie through the application, there's a 3.1GB 1080p mp4 file there.
It also appears to be DRM free (didn't have any trouble opening it with WMP or VLC).

Gong

Apparently Console Arcade and my review of Super Meat Boy gets a mention at some point, which is a nice surprise for everyone connected with the site :)

Top Bottom