• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2015 [December] Let's talk about anything Indie!

Page 2!

UBHgUhP.gif

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Thank the Indie Gods. This thread is now mobile viewable, woo!

That gif :D

This year has been a bit crazy for me, it started with I still maintaining the focus on my gaming hobby that was revived because of stumbling upon the first Indie Thread. After two years of participating, discovering and to a lesser intent contributing to the thread I have found myself on a conflicted situation, because a mix of full time job, family, girlfriend my time to play games has lessened considerably so to keep focusing on that hobby I did let my other hobbies and obligations take a hit.

After too much thinking I have decided to let gaming a little behind while I focus on other aspects of my life. I'm not leaving as I may still appear here from time to time and I still plan on submit my votes to the GOTY thread, and I still may buy some games.

Thank you all who make that thread as good as they are.

9inchsamurai

Neo Member
Hello indie game thread. I've been a lurker on these forums for a long time because NeoGAF is huge and scary, but I want to market my own game if that's cool.

Blessed Ones: The Magic Wolves - $7.99 (PC)
header_460x215.jpg

Blessed Ones: The Magic Wolves

It's a nice little hardcore RPG focused on customization and thoughtful decision making in combat, in a market where a lot of indie RPGs right now tend to be either randomly generated roguelikes, or RPG Maker endeavors with very little thoughtfulness put into their gameplay. If you are at all inclined to enjoy RPGs with meaty decision making, then I know you're going like this game, and we're also pretty proud of the charming and silly writing.

It's in Early Access right now for $8, but we've been working on it for 3 years and have a very solid update plan for it to get finished.

The longer pitch:
It is a silly fairy tale RPG about pigs and wolves. It's got a stupidly large amount of customization, with about 130 skills spread across 6 classes, each one has 2 versions, you can have 3 characters using 2 classes which each learn 5 skills and 5 hybrid skills (combined from the 2 classes). Everything you can do in the game has some kind of associated cost, like MP, items, or HP, and everything also gives you experience, differing based on the skill. Enemies also "drop" MP, restoring your stamina after battle, and we've placed a lot of emphasis on resource management and using your options thoughtfully.

We also tried pretty hard to make each class more unique and interesting than the standard Warrior/Rogue/Wizard deal, so we've got classes like Peacebringer (mostly a defender whose skills cost HP), Chef (who can consume food ingredients to buff and debuff), and Venerant (who draws upon ghost minions to use most of their skills). And on top of this, there's no default Fight and Defend command shared by everyone; each class has its own Fight and Defend command, which do unique things that tie into their theming or other abilities of the class.

And now that I know this board has monthly threads for indie games, I'm gonna be spending a lot of time looking through archives :D

Moobabe

This year has been a bit crazy for me, it started with I still maintaining the focus on my gaming hobby that was revived because of stumbling upon the first Indie Thread. After two years of participating, discovering and to a lesser intent contributing to the thread I have found myself on a conflicted situation, because a mix of full time job, family, girlfriend my time to play games has lessened considerably so to keep focusing on that hobby I did let my other hobbies and obligations take a hit.

After too much thinking I have decided to let gaming a little behind while I focus on other aspects of my life. I'm not leaving as I may still appear here from time to time and I still plan on submit my votes to the GOTY thread, and I still may buy some games.

We'll miss you man. I completely understand where you're coming from though - it's so difficult to maintain that "perfect" balance (if that even exists.) Good on you for prioritising though - hope to see you back soon!

Best of luck pal.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Hey Panda, we <3 you.
I am going to miss your regular input, but dont worry too much about us. I recently had a few months where I couldnt write much either (first out of necessity, then out due to other reasons), so thats perfectly normal. Would be great to read you from time to time though ;)

Enjoy whatever you are doing!

A Place for the Unwilling - ????
8441698.gif

https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=51807.0

A Place for the Unwilling is a narrative adventure game where the city is the actual protagonist. No puzzles or "game over" screens, just you, the city and the dozens of stories which are taking place in there. Days pass and the fate of the city is yet to be decided.
In terms of gameplay the game resembles "Pathologic", You'll be free to explore the world around you and play a role in the events which will shape the future of the city.

Shadwen - 2016
Shadwen_screenshot_05.png

http://shadwen.com/

Shadwen is a true stealth game where the only rule is to remain unseen. Stay hidden - or the ruthless guards will kill you on sight!
Shadwen, an assassin on a quest to kill the king, has a chance encounter with a little orphaned girl, Lily. She follows Shadwen on her dangerous journey, but when the ruthless guards get too close, Shadwen must take action right in front of Lily's eyes. Will she resort to violence and let Lily witness her crimes, or can she find another way and protect the child's innocence?

titch

All the best panda going to miss your regular posts hope you can pop in the odd time.

Nabs

If anyone was interested in Crosscode, it's part of the massive $5 bundle over at Bundlestars. It's usually 20 bucks over on Steam, so this is a pretty good deal.

header.jpg

Good luck with everything. We'll definitely miss you around these parts.

We'll miss you man. I completely understand where you're coming from though - it's so difficult to maintain that "perfect" balance (if that even exists.) Good on you for prioritising though - hope to see you back soon!

Best of luck pal.

Hey Panda, we <3 you.
I am going to miss your regular input, but dont worry too much about us. I recently had a few months where I couldnt write much either (first out of necessity, then out due to other reasons), so thats perfectly normal. Would be great to read you from time to time though ;)

Enjoy whatever you are doing!

All the best panda going to miss your regular posts hope you can pop in the odd time.

Thank you all for the messages, I'll still be here lurking from time to time (I just let a tab with NeoGAF open in my browser :p) and if I found the time I'll still post the opinions about indie games that I may play from time to time.

If anyone was interested in Crosscode, it's part of the massive $5 bundle over at Bundlestars. It's usually 20 bucks over on Steam, so this is a pretty good deal.

header.jpg

Whoa, great bundle. Picked it up for Crosscode, Lichdom, and Monstrom

Toma

header.jpg

The amount of value in this bundle is a tad disgusting, especially in regard with the devaluing of games conversation.

Moobabe

The amount of value in this game is a tad disgusting, especially in regard with the devaluing of games conversation.

Yeah I'm not sure how I feel about that. I had a quick look but... they're basically throwing games at you on that website.

Dascu

Yeah I'm not sure how I feel about that. I had a quick look but... they're basically throwing games at you on that website.

What I do appreciate about BundleStars' Killer Bundle deals is that they have a set minimum fee ($5) contrary to pay what you want, plus they have a good mixture between small indies and older classics.

One of the reasons why I went with them for Malebolgia's participation rather than others.

Toma

What I do appreciate about BundleStars' Killer Bundle deals is that they have a set minimum fee ($5) contrary to pay what you want, plus they have a good mixture between small indies and older classics.

One of the reasons why I went with them for Malebolgia's participation rather than others.

So Bundlestars actually leaves more money for devs on average than the pwyw offers? (even though they promote 41 games in that bundle?)

Dascu

So Bundlestars actually leaves more money for devs on average than the pwyw offers? (even though they promote 41 games in that bundle?)

Percentage per sale, yes I think so. As a whole, depends on the popularity of the bundle of course.

There's 41 games in that bundle?! I only saw a handful

3D Realms Anthology contains a whole bunch of games. None of which I'm guessing are selling any copies anymore. So I'm not really seeing the devaluation. Most of that stuff could pretty much be abandonware at this point. I'm probably biased since none of it looks interesting to me.

Moobabe

3D Realms Anthology contains a whole bunch of games. None of which I'm guessing are selling any copies anymore. So I'm not really seeing the devaluation. Most of that stuff could pretty much be abandonware at this point. I'm probably biased since none of it looks interesting to me.

Ah ok - I didn't study the bundle closely - I just saw "41 GAMES FOR NO MONEY!"

Yeah, I was confused by the 41 Games since it looked like there were only a few games, until I saw one was an anthology

Hey, Toma, when do you think the Best Indies Voting thread will be up? Also we're including December 2014 releases, right? That would be stuff like Subnautica, Talos, LISA, etc.

Toma

Yeah, I was confirmed by the 41 Games since it looked like there were only a few games, until I saw one was an anthology

Hey, Toma, when do you think the Best Indies Voting thread will be up? Also we're including December 2014 releases, right? That would be stuff like Subnautica, Talos, LISA, etc.

Yep, games that released in Dec 2014 are included in the January 2015 thread, so all games included in all threads this year/released from december last year until december 1st this year.

Edit: In a week or so.

Wok

Already some favourites for your GOTY voting list?
First thing that comes to mind for me is Infinifactory.

#QuestForPageTwo

Ori is my easy GOTY so far. I have yet to finish playing Life is Strange and Tales from Borderlands to decide on the top 3.

Toma

Checking some december games now to see if there are any late entry GOTY nominees hidden.

tim.mbp

SquareCells was pretty good. The last row of puzzles were pretty difficult, ended up guessing solutions way too much. The UI wasn't as good as Hexcells and the explanation of the connected polyomino wasn't the clearest. I had to check the Steam forums for help on that.

Toma

Speaking of GOTY lists, it is very likely that A Beginners Guide might snatch the top position of my personal list and I am wondering whether most of you still didnt play it. :p

Toma

OP impressions, as I started my quest for late December GOTY nominees:

A Good Gardener
You are a gardener, and you plants are needed to supply war troops. More of a shorter experiential game (not a gardening simulation) with a very nice visual "twist" on the war theme and some other very interesting ideas to reflect the topic at hand. Definitely recommended to experience, but I could easily see people feeling like they would regret spending 5$ on it. Liked it though, unique and thinky.

Blacksea Odyssey
A roguelike shmup with a rather unique art style and setting. They also threw in some rather interesting mechanics, like a harpoon with with you need to damage and then pull out enemy limbs, plus runes to change effects, different weapons, enemies etc. The game is a bit on the clunky side though as the controls feel a bit weird at first and its not quite intuitive how to progress generally. Also, the enemies are definitely the highlights and the level design itself is uninteresting. Still, definitely worth keeping an eye on, that free demo definitely shows promise.

Conflicks
This is surprisingly good. Its a strategy game with the main mechanic of... flicking ships. I was a bit caught off guard to see how deep the RTS rabbit hole actually goes here with resource mining, different ship types, abilities, and some actual planning needed for the flicking/movement/positioning itself. Super weird, especially because the controls take some getting used to, but check out the tutorial in the free demo for this one, as the art style and general setup is hugely enjoyable. Its a bit puzzling why this isnt turn based, as the real time angle seems a bit out of place at first, but this is an enjoyable original genre blend.

Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist
There is a heist, laser beams and a tiger. And its free. Why did you not play it yet? Remind me next month to write a bit more about it as I would love to discuss it after a few more here played it.

Hellmut
Roguelike Shmup, with a good foundation but its not there yet. The progression feels stiff, the balancing isnt very enjoyable and it doesnt seem to have that much varied content yet. Might turn out to be a decent time waster on release though.

Infinity Inc
Another small game, this time a puzzle platformer about cloning yourself, but this one is better. Has some enjoyable ideas for the setting and very solid puzzles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Highly recommended
Conflicks
Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist

Recommended
The Good Gardener
Infinity Inc.
Blacksea Odyssey

Not Recommended
Hellmut

Avoid

I was surprised at how good the stealth in Dr. Langeskov was. For a small free game, it was pretty enjoyable. Figuring out how to disable the laser grid was a nice challenge

Toma

I was surprised at how good the stealth in Dr. Langeskov was. For a small free game, it was pretty enjoyable. Figuring out how to disable the laser grid was a nice challenge

That escape scene was pretty epic too. The dev sure put a lot of effort into making sure the player got the best possible experience.

9inchsamurai

Neo Member
I saw a friend playing Dr. Langeskov but I didn't think anything of it until I heard it was from William Pugh, so I played it just now! It was...an enjoyable 20 minutes. I like his humor and writing a lot, but I've also never been blown away from his games. The Beginner's Guide was certainly a great experience though and I could easily see it being on GOTY lists.

So many games I want to play. Its insane. Grabbing That Killer Bundle 6 to start it off though! Any other similar bundles to that?

Tons. I'd recommend bookmarking or joining this Steam group
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/IndieBundleTracker
It's a godsend, because it's too hard trying to manually keep track of bundles

Been playing anything good lately?

Been playing Concrete Jungle alot and having a blast with it. Looking to pick up an RPG next stuck between CrossCode which I just grabbed or Undertale. Patiently waiting for Cook, Serve, Delicious 2 which my wife has been bugging me on almost weekly since it isn't out yet and wont be for a bit.

Want a solid Tycoon game also. Something similar to Zoo Tycoon. Tried Prison Architect but couldn't get into it much.

Moobabe

Speaking of GOTY lists, it is very likely that A Beginners Guide might snatch the top position of my personal list and I am wondering whether most of you still didnt play it. :p

I'm getting round to it! It's not very long right? Might be able to squeeze it into a free evening.

Wok

I got bored after a while and did not finish it. :(

Toma

I got bored after a while and did not finish it. :(

Falls into the narrative walking simulator type game category, those always depend on how they resonate with the player moreso than the quality itself. Especially the opinion about those games is super subjective, so I am not surprised others might not be to fond of that particular one.

Hit me like a brick though.

asa

Thanks Toma for mentioning The Power Hover in the upcoming games list!

tumblr_nxxrrlUbya1ukj7blo1_400.gif

Power Hover is now released and in The App Store, get it now for a 3.99$/&#8364;
itunes.apple.com/app/id1034773723

Here's few promocodes for the indie thread people!

edit. Edited codes into email tags :) Hopefully not all of them where taken :)

Toma

Thanks Toma for mentioning The Power Hover in the upcoming games list!

tumblr_nxxrrlUbya1ukj7blo1_400.gif

Power Hover is now released and in The App Store, get it now for a 3.99$/&#8364;
itunes.apple.com/app/id1034773723

Here's few promocodes for the indie thread people!

You should put codes like these always in [.email="code"][/email] tags (without the dot) and tell people to quote your post, otherwise lurkers grab them. :p

Didnt grab one as I dont have any iOS device to run it, but thanks :)

Toma

Deleted my cookies so GAF was set to the default white theme again... the horrors I had to endure for 10 seconds. Scarred for life.

Toma

Toma, thanks for the tip, hopefully I was fast enough :)

Yeah, should be. These threads are still rather low key in terms of random exposition. We'll see once one of the others tries a key. ;)

Top Bottom