• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2015 [December] Let's talk about anything Indie!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Well, damn. I now understand how you all put Ori so high up on your lists. That game doesnt only have one of the best production values I've seen for a 2D game, its also a rather interesting Metroidvania game, has some decent challenge and is generally just all around... great. The animation is the highlight though, wow.

Not sure how high its gonna end up on my list, as its still a standard affair as far as originality goes, but pretty sure its gonna be on my list somewhere.

Well, damn. I now understand how you all put Ori so high up on your lists. That game doesnt only have one of the best production values I've seen for a 2D game, its also a rather interesting Metroidvania game, has some decent challenge and is generally just all around... great. The animation is the highlight though, wow.

Not sure how high its gonna end up on my list, as its still a standard affair as far as originality goes, but pretty sure its gonna be on my list somewhere.
Pretty much. It's not the most original platformer, doesn't really bring anything new to the table, but the execution and the art is so well done that it elevates the game beyond that solid but safe core platforming

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Did anybody else here play Undertale? I feel like its kinda pointless to discuss the merits of it in one of the other threads, as people cant seem to be objective about it :p

Its a good game, but does anybody here feel it warrants the GOTY hype?

I haven't put any time into Undertale, been meaning to. All I know is that I am fairly tough to please when it comes to comical games, I find humour in games to be real trying most of the times they attempt it. However, I have a mate who is like me times a million and really struggles with comedy or story heavy games. He thinks Undertale is one of the best games ever made so I am inclined to believe that their might be something to that game and I should probably play it. Just need to get Soma out of the way first.

Toma

I haven't put any time into Undertale, been meaning to. All I know is that I am fairly tough to please when it comes to comical games, I find humour in games to be real trying most of the times they attempt it. However, I have a mate who is like me times a million and really struggles with comedy or story heavy games. He thinks Undertale is one of the best games ever made so I am inclined to believe that their might be something to that game and I should probably play it. Just need to get Soma out of the way first.

Its not really a comical game, though, or are you referring to the art style? Its certainly not "humorous" as one would usually expect.

Its not really a comical game, though, or are you referring to the art style? Its certainly not "humorous" as one would usually expect.

Oh really, okay. I got that impression from the trailer and other peoples reviews/impressions but of course I haven't played Undertale it so I can't comment on it.

On a random note, screw anyone who said that Soma isn't flat out scary and is more about the creepy atmosphere. I was playing it last night and the
guy you can't look at
made me leap out of my bloody chair and walk around the room swearing. It was a full on youtuber style reaction.

Toma

Oh really, okay. I got that impression from the trailer and other peoples reviews/impressions but of course I haven't played Undertale it so I can't comment on it.

On a random note, screw anyone who said that Soma isn't flat out scary and is more about the creepy atmosphere. I was playing it last night and the
guy you can't look at
made me leap out of my bloody chair and walk around the room swearing. It was a full on youtuber style reaction.

Soma is the last one on the list of games I still need to try. Maybe I'll get to it tonight.

Toma

Just for the record, Dwarf Fortress should win GOTY, every year. :p

Toma

Finally got around to the new update?

Still need to sit down and dedicate a weekend to that game. Tried it once but it was quite overwhelming

Yeah, playing it right now. Still some new bugs, but so good. And you'll be able to scratch the surface on a weekend, like maybe getting the hang of how to survive with food and booze production, so that should be a nice start. Its really mostly just a matter of looking up the wiki what things do and what you need and then figuring out why you just starved to death.

It really is sad to see threads about GOTY lists that feature indie games in high spots and so many responses thinking that the writer's opinion is wrong or trying to be "hipster" for not featuring [insert major AAA game that came out during year here] higher or at all

People should see that as a testament to the quality of those games, rather than a reason to disregard them

epmode

I really loved Undertale. Not sure about GOTY but it's up there.

Honestly, I'm not sure why someone would be down on it. There's practically 0 filler, it has a fun combat system, good writing, fuckawesome music and it does interesting stuff with choice and consequence.

Just for the record, Dwarf Fortress should win GOTY, every year. :p

I've tried to get into it twice but bounced off the interface. I still love reading the patch notes and Let's Plays though.

Wormhole City - Late 2016 (PC)
5wMm3DA.png

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=576376585

Wormhole City is a single-player sci-fi adventure game with top-down platforming, puzzle and action elements developed in Unreal Engine 4 . Control vehicles and gain power-ups through exploration and defeating enemies while making game-changing decisions throughout your story.

Element - $10.99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
YUa2gD6.gif

http://elementgame.com/

You are escaping a decaying solar system. You must visit each planet, mine enough element, and defeat the enemy to progress to the outer planets and beyond.
Generate energy, mine element, build attack and defence units, and destroy the enemy while maintaining a balance between earth, air, water, and fire.

Moobabe

It really is sad to see threads about GOTY lists that feature indie games in high spots and so many responses thinking that the writer's opinion is wrong or trying to be "hipster" for not featuring [insert major AAA game that came out during year here] higher or at all

People should see that as a testament to the quality of those games, rather than a reason to disregard them

Yeah I was the same - not much point in participating in those discussions really.

I'm trying to spend my gaming time (or lack of it) playing Undertale. It's pretty cool - it hasn't wowed me yet but I'm only a couple of hours in so far.

I'm not sure what might make my GOTY list... Ori? Her Story? Rocket League? Grow Home? Maybe more that I'm forgetting.

Joachim

Neo Member
Hello Everyone,

Having been Greenlit we are targeting Steam Early Access in May.

The Great Whale Road - Overview:
  • Single-player game combining RPG elements with crew management, trade and exploration
  • Authentic historical setting
  • Combat design marrying turn-based tactics and cards
  • 2-player online arena
  • Windows, Mac & Linux
Combat Scene Concept - Anglo-Saxon Village in Roman Castrum

You can find videos (trailer, preview, behind the scenes) on our site. You can find a PvP combat preview there as well.

Details:
  • Players select a hero and a crew from eight historical cultures including Danes, Picts, Anglo-Saxons and Britons
  • Unique heroes and quests for each culture/clan
  • Exploration of the North Sea coast with historical trade routes and locations
  • Players build card decks and use them in turn-based tactical combat
  • Character cards can be assigned to four classes (heavy, assault, skirmisher, support) and customised with different historical weapons
  • Digitally hand-drawn
  • Authentic Dark Ages characters, weapons and items
Our Kickstarter is still running, and will end on Sunday (funding at 25% as per today).

Happy Holidays,
Joachim @ Sunburned Games

flowsnake

Wait, what? You're confusing me here. The comedy (particularly in the snowy area) is quite upfront and what I like about the game.

Toma

Wait, what? You're confusing me here. The comedy (particularly in the snowy area) is quite upfront and what I like about the game.

Well, sure there are comedic elements, but would you call the game overall humorous? I found it pretty dark actually. Even the fluffy, comedic parts seemed to have a dark or at least thinky/deep undertone for me. (And
did you finish it
? We probably should spoilertag if you did and want to talk about it)

Random question here, their was a game prototype that was shown in these topics, probably a few years back now. It was a first person puzzle thing with this gun that could scale up or down objects in the game world to extreme levels. I remember the video showed the player scale up this cobblestone bridge to such a level that he could start jumping round on the individual stones and sneak into the cracks in the bridge. That thread with the guy asking for an Ant-man game reminded me of that prototype just now. I imagine that (sadly) by this point the idea has probably been scrapped but I was wondering if anyone knows what I am talking about here and perhaps what happened to that game?

Random question here, their was a game prototype that was shown in these topics, probably a few years back now. It was a first person puzzle thing with this gun that could scale up or down objects in the game world to extreme levels. I remember the video showed the player scale up this cobblestone bridge to such a level that he could start jumping round on the individual stones and sneak into the cracks in the bridge. That thread with the guy asking for an Ant-man game reminded me of that prototype just now. I imagine that (sadly) by this point the idea has probably been scrapped but I was wondering if anyone knows what I am talking about here and perhaps what happened to that game?

Scale?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlztLu7mMrI
http://www.scale-game.com/
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1188957169/scale

Might be this. The game is still being worked on and has Kickstarter updates every few months it seems.

That's Scale, and don't worry, it's still in development. The scale gun actually got a cool redesign a while back

flowsnake

Well, sure there are comedic elements, but would you call the game overall humorous? I found it pretty dark actually. Even the fluffy, comedic parts seemed to have a dark or at least thinky/deep undertone for me. (And
did you finish it
? We probably should spoilertag if you did and want to talk about it)

I did finish it, and didn't really care that much about the darker parts in the end, though it was fairly touching at times.

It's just that it has multiple sides to it. I guess "charming" would be a better word for the softer part of it, but it definitely made me laugh more than most games.

I haven't, unfortunately. Doesn't look appealing to me

Doesn't to me either, but I think it will be one of those wildcard games I just try out every now and then.

Well not really. I remember seeing some gameplay a while ago and not being interested, but some of the stuff I came across lately seemed charming, so i'm a bit more interested than I was at least.

Joachim

Neo Member
Sorry to hear :(
What happens to you guys if you cant hit the KS goal?

We knew that you can't rely on KS in your business plan. We are self-funded until Early Access, if we don't increase the team size. There will be a few compromises to be made, and we have to decide how to add any additional funding required during EA. Last but least there is a publisher or two, but we will only know more after the holidays.

If you meet Santa send him our way. ;)

Wishmere - $11.99 (PC)
lGIsj7q.gif

http://crayder.com/wishmere/

Wishmere is a beat’em up action game with crazy combos, explosive supers and fighting game mechanics. Stay alive, mercilessly combo enemies, take down insane stage bosses and upgrade your character build as you save the world!

Turnover - $9.99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
ss4.jpg

http://www.turnovergame.net/

In a dystopian future, a powerful corporation hires a private security firm to execute a violent takeover of a competitor's HQ. Caught in the middle, brave office worker Clea attempts a stealthy escape.

Toma

I did finish it, and didn't really care that much about the darker parts in the end, though it was fairly touching at times.

It's just that it has multiple sides to it. I guess "charming" would be a better word for the softer part of it, but it definitely made me laugh more than most games.

Yeah, "charming" works better in my opinion. I was just a bit confused myself about why people would categorize it as a straight up "funny" game.

We knew that you can't rely on KS in your business plan. We are self-funded until Early Access, if we don't increase the team size. There will be a few compromises to be made, and we have to decide how to add any additional funding required during EA. Last but least there is a publisher or two, but we will only know more after the holidays.

If you meet Santa send him our way. ;)

Thanks for the input, I wish you best of luck! The project looks really interesting. I would lke to say that I can support you on KS, but considering the 30-50 games we feature per month, I am spending too much money on Indie Games to give others impressions as it is ^^'

Joachim

Neo Member
Thanks for the input, I wish you best of luck! The project looks really interesting. I would lke to say that I can support you on KS, but considering the 30-50 games we feature per month, I am spending too much money on Indie Games to give others impressions as it is ^^'

Thanks, no worries. I know the feeling! I have backed around 40 Kickstarters this year with my personal credit card, as well as bought some Indies on Steam. And now I am off to buy the Xmas presents for the team ... plenty of Battle Brothers keys me thinks. Instead of buying myself a PS4 I am just borrowing a PS3 from one our devs for the holidays. ;)

Best of luck Joachim, the game looks really interesting.

Cheers, I will check out Turnover over the holidays. I still haven't played Witcher 3 nor Fallout 4, so your game could well come first.

anthn

Turnover - $9.99 (PC, Mac, Linux)

Thanks for the mention!

If it's all good, I'm going to drop a few Steam keys for Turnover here for you guys & gals. Please, reply if you take one to let others know.

Make sure you quote the post to reveal the keys.

Toma

Thanks for the mention!

If it's all good, I'm going to drop a few Steam keys for Turnover here for you guys & gals. Please, reply if you take one to let others know.

Thanks, took the first one! Will check it out and post some impressions at the latest during our next thread. ;)

Thanks for the mention!

Redeemed the second, thank you

Subtilia

Neo Member
Hey guys! Great selection so far! We're having quite a year!

And since it's ok for devs to post here, let me show you something I've been working on:

Qasir al-Wasat: International Edition - $TBA (PC/Mac/Linux)
tumblr_nzh1xpMZft1svd4vso1_500.gif

qasirgame.com \ store.steampowered.com/app/296030/

Qasir al-Wasat is a stealth action-adventure set in an enigmatic 12th Century Syrian palace.
You play as an invisible creature summoned from another world to complete an assassination mission.

I'll be around if you guys have any questions about the game =}

Hey guys! Great selection so far! We're having quite a year!

And since it's ok for devs to post here, let me show you something I've been working on:

Qasir al-Wasat: International Edition - $TBA (PC/Mac/Linux)

I'll be around if you guys have any questions about the game =}
Now that is an oldie :) It was featured all the back in the second Indie Games thread, in April 2013! Nice to see it finally coming to Steam. Are there any changes or additions compared to the version that was on Desura and your site?

Toma

Now that is an oldie :) It was featured all the back in the second Indie Games thread, in April 2013! Nice to see it finally coming to Steam. Are there any changes or additions compared to the version that was on Desura and your site?

Quite the blast from the past! I'd like to know that too, the original game was looked upon VERY favourably in here.

Finally got my top 20 sorted out, now to write 20 blurbs. Let me tell you, this is when having a blog and writing impressions all year long comes in handy

Toma

Finally got my top 20 sorted out, now to write 20 blurbs. Let me tell you, this is when having a blog and writing impressions all year along comes in handy

You could also wait with the blurbs to see if all those land in the top 50, but yeah, its safe to assume that most games will likely end up there. I just finished a different task I had and contemplated putting up the voting thread, but I want to play some Dwarf Fortress so that gotta wait until tomorrow :p

You could also wait with the blurbs to see if all those land in the top 50, but yeah, its safe to assume that most games will likely end up there. I just finished a different task I had and contemplated putting up the voting thread, but I want to play some Dwarf Fortress so that gotta wait until tomorrow :p
My indie list is the same as my general GOTY list, so I'd be writing blurbs for my top ten anyway

This was a great year. It was really hard nailing down the top 30, let alone ranking my top ten.

Subtilia

Neo Member
Quite the blast from the past! I'd like to know that too, the original game was looked upon VERY favourably in here.

Yey, you remember A Night in-Between!

We've been working for the last 2 years in the International Edition, with the biggest addition being a pack of new 7 languages (fr, ru, pt-BR, cz, pl, de & it).

But there's a lot of new thingies, whole rooms have been redesigned, there're some new graphics, the input and some aspects of the gameplay have been refactored...
The menu was rebuilt from ground up and now there's full input customization (keyboard and gamepad, DS4 included) and last but not least, all the usal Steam perks, 30+ achievements, cards, emoticons &c.

Wew, guess this covers it. Also we've been quite active on twitter and tumblr about the development if you guys are interested!

Time for LD entries, including a new one from Daniel Linssen

Zunus - Free (PC, Mac)
anim_09.gif

http://jonathanwhiting.com/ld/34/index.html

A 2 button space trading miniature. Buy, sell, dodge pirates, fling asteroids and get berated by your gran.

Reap - Free (PC)
3479-shot1-1450062225-gif-eq-900-500-jpg.gif

http://managore.itch.io/reap

Your ship breaks up on the rocky shores, but luckily you've made it to the island!
Every action drains your energy, but the sleep you get each night revitalizes you

Last Visit To The Shard - Free (PC, Mac, Linux)
IAi%2BaG.png

http://connor-sherlock.itch.io/lvtts

A Minimalist Mood Piece/ Walking Simulator.

Timruk - Free (PC, Mac)
l2Bfw5.jpg

http://oleomingus.itch.io/timruk

Timruk is a storybook from within the world of Somewhere

Abyssal Zone - Free (PC, Mac)

Top Bottom