• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2015 [June] Now Voting - Post 423!

Objects In Space - 2016 (PC, Mac, Linux)
qv9VEKf.jpg

http://objectsgame.com/

The incredibly short version is this: it’s a space trading game where instead of pretending space ships are WW2 Fighters, we’ve built them more like Nuclear Submarines. A game about navigation and command more than piloting. A game trying to evoke the feeling of the nerve-wracking and cerebral battles from Star Trek II : The Wrath of Khan and The Hunt For Red October instead of the high action of Star Wars.
And all this wrapped in the retro-futuristic aesthetics of the ’70s and ’80s. This is a “future” of beeping displays, physical throw-switches and boot-up sequences. A future where extreme distances have taken the instant communication we’re used to in the 21st century and reduced it back to a world of bulletin boards and text communication.

Has anyone played GRAV? It looks great, but does it do anything to stand out from other games in the explore-craft-build genre?

And a friendly reminder to vote if you havent yet

I haven't played it since it launched on EA. It has a kernel of something there, but it still needed time to bake.

Damn I missed it! Be sure to post some impressions ASAP

I bought this during the summer sale and I'll post some impressions in the July thread sometime in the next few days.

titch

Good to listen to the commentary - my initial look the other day things seemed kinda basic but after listening to the dev my interest has peaked a fair bit.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Some more impressions:

Exanima
This game appeals to me a lot... on a theoretical level. Unique combat, procedural generated challenges, intriguing setting, but somehow... I am not quite warming up to it. Items are hard to see, combat is more than wonky (its a mixture of positioning and weight based swinging (body movement)). There is something intriguing here, I just dont know what it is yet.

Genemon
Very simple concept of a tower defense style 1vs1 game. I dont think it has any interesting hook to make me want to play more of it, so I cant recommend it.

Guns, Gore & Cannoli
Already talked about this a while ago, VERY fun and challenging action arcadey 2D sidescroller with tons of style and atention to detail.

Invisible Inc
Randomized squad based tactical turn based game that actually works. I cant tell how hard/easy it will be after dozens of hours, but they made this work, its engaging, flexible and kept it interesting throughout multiple randomized levels through objectives and increasing security levels. VERY good.

Malebolgia
I really like the mood set in this game. Its a game that takes a few classic mechanics, a few new ones and tries to make it its own, which it largely succeeds. My biggest gripe is that the combat still is too wonky and doesnt quite flow well, which is largely also an issue due to a bit stiff animations. Still worth experiencing for the art style, setting, mood and overall experience if you dont mind excusing a thing or two about the combat.

Maquisard
Small little deductive game, in which you are tasked with figuring out peoples routines and character to find a criminal. Very cute and a clever way of making this style of puzzling into a videogame. Recommended.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Highly recommended
TIS-100
Invisible Inc.
Cosmochoria
Guns, Gore & Cannoli
Chroma Squad
Cross Code

Recommended
Maquisard
Malebolgia
Code 7
Butcher

Decent
Planetarium
Exanima

Not recommended
Genemon

Moobabe

Kerbal Space Program
I do not get this. It's obviously very good, very well made and, judging from the hilarious stories people tell about it, a whole lot of fun. It's not for me though - I'd categorise this under the Spacechem/Infinifactory bracket of "Stuff that looks great that Toma would love that isn't for me"

Magicka 2
I wasn't crazy about the first game - but I did enjoy all of the batshit insane nonsense caused by the skill system and the combos you could execute. Magicka 2 is improved in a bunch of ways but also lacks a lot of what made Magicka cool.

Malebolgia
I'd echo Toma on this one. I love the look and I love the atmosphere and the way in which the story and lore is unfolded. If you can get past the basic combat then there's a lot to enjoy.

Planetarium
Standard Linssen greatness. Not quite up there with some of his best work, but that's a high bar to reach.

Voting

Highly Recommended

Serpent in the Staglands
Invisible Inc

Recommended

CrossCode
Axiom verge
Flame Over

Decent

Hot Date
Magicka 2
Kerbal Space Program (Bump up to highly recommended if you're into that)
Malebolgia
Planetarium

Poo

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Kerbal Space Program
I do not get this. It's obviously very good, very well made and, judging from the hilarious stories people tell about it, a whole lot of fun. It's not for me though - I'd categorise this under the Spacechem/Infinifactory bracket of "Stuff that looks great that Toma would love that isn't for me"

Shame on me for never really digging into it... until now!
I'll get to it... eventually.

Hydderf

edit : with proper formating

There is no game - free (newgrounds)
U8QB1Dt.png

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/659792

Disclaimer : there is no game to be found here. Do not follow this link. No fun allowed past this page.

A friend of mine made this silly little (non) game called THERE IS NO GAME for the last construct2 jam titled "deception".
I figured some of you could like it. It's short, smart and pretty funny ;) (beware his french accent though)

Moobabe

I just finished Ori and the Blind Forest - simply incredible.

Some frustrating moments along the way, but some incredible highs and some amazing set pieces. I cannot recommend this highly enough.

GOTY so far.

Also - have we made a post for Legends of Eisenwald? It's just released on Steam (presumably out of EA?)

Top Bottom