• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [April] Now Voting - Post 635!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Also, has someone found out how to progress in Remembering? I am stuck in the first area where you can walk around, and I assume you need to follow the sounds. I followed some sounds that got louder (water), and then just walked 5 more minutes without anything happening.

Remembering - It's Free. Have yet to try it, but the team made Bohm - one of the IGF Nuovo Award Finalists' from 2011 - and the trailer looks amazing.

You can find a lot of cool things on Twitter.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Quick initial 40 minutes impressions:

I am a bit disappointed by Monaco.

And I am still disappointed by Monaco. It felt so uninteresting to play that I already kinda forgot about it again. Talk about an Anti-climactic game release.

Hofmann

Also, has someone found out how to progress in Remembering? I am stuck in the first area where you can walk around, and I assume you need to follow the sounds. I followed some sounds that got louder (water), and then just walked 5 more minutes without anything happening.

You are probably lost, you have to use interaction button from the beginning. It's LCtrl or Shift, but like I wrote it's better to change it to mouse in setup screen - W to Left mouse and Ctrl to Right mouse.

Totally random, but another great thing about Indies: So many are playable for free. Either in a completely free version or in demos, because these guys need to fight for the attention and purchases and they know that a demo goes a long way. I really, really miss demos in the mid-upper section to see if I can run a game before buying and whether I like the overall feel.

No kidding! That is seriously one of the biggest advantages of indie gaming; right now, I'll rarely buy anything that I can't try first, unless I've been waiting for it for months (and that's like 1-2 games a year now). Best of all, a demo-centric approach to selling your product means that you absolutely cannot slack off with gameplay. If AAA games were forced to sell through their demos alone, you can be sure we'd be seeing less photorealistic, 15 frames per second copycat games, and more stuff like what Platinum Games makes.

Toma

You are probably lost, you have to use interaction button from the beginning. It's LCtrl or Shift, but like I wrote it's better to change it to mouse in setup screen - W to Left mouse and Ctrl to Right mouse.

Ah, didnt realize you need to use an interaction button. Just finished it, fantastic audio design and great execution of the aural memories concept.

Toma

Also, DONE with writing up the game section for next month.
40 released, 42 upcoming.

Now only thing left is the vote count and to find a nice game for a contest.

Just gone through the surreal dream walk that is Remembering and found it rather charming. If their goal was to involve memories in the player using the various sound mixes in the game then they achieved their mission for me at least.

Toma

I really wish more people voted this month. The list seems way too even and we only had 7 people voting so far. Might need to go back to the thread and PM a few people who didnt vote yet, but posted anyway.

Again: WE NEED MORE VOTES.

I really wish more people voted this month. The list seems way too even and we only had 7 people voting so far. Might need to go back to the thread and PM a few people who didnt vote yet, but posted anyway.

Again: WE NEED MORE VOTES.

Only seven? o_O wow, that's bad. Um... let me see if I can help with this.

Edit: Well, did my part, let's see if it helps.

Toma

Only seven? o_O wow, that's bad. Um... let me see if I can help with this.

Edit: Well, did my part, let's see if it helps.

Yeah, this month basically only the core of the thread voted so far.The guys that keep this thread alive by posting games, comments and discussing. Last month we had more drive-by votes.

Thanks for the mention in the other thread. I contacted about 20 Gaffers via PM as well, so we'll see whether that helps.

Hofmann

Just gone through the surreal dream walk that is Remembering and found it rather charming. If their goal was to involve memories in the player using the various sound mixes in the game then they achieved their mission for me at least.

There's even outline for a story. How we move from nature to industrialisation and what does it implicate -
the scene with the black rain

Toma

There's even outline for a story. How we move from nature to industrialisation and what does it implicate -
the scene with the black rain

Oh neat, didnt think about that. Interesting.

Corto

I haven't played too much new indie games this month. I'm still somewhat obsessed with Starseed Pilgrim. But here are my votes nonetheless.

Reprisal: A simple god game with cool devastating powers. Still haven't finished the campaign but every time I have a few minutes free and I want to get a game going quickly I fire it up.

Teleglitch: I have played it last year already but since it's up for vote now it absolutely deserves my vote. It almost entered my GOTY list. Great hard as nails little game.Not very good for my blood pressure though hehehe

I've bought "Cook, serve, delicious", Sword of the Stars The Pit and Monaco but haven't got the chance to play them. For what I've read and watch about them they would go on this months ballot but not much time lately to play and Starseed really is a time sink for me.

Toma

I haven't played too much new indie games this month. I'm still somewhat obsessed with Starseed Pilgrim. But here are my votes nonetheless.

Reprisal: A simple god game with cool devastating powers. Still haven't finished the campaign but every time I have a few minutes free and I want to get a game going quickly I fire it up.

Teleglitch: I have played it last year already but since it's up for vote now it absolutely deserves my vote. It almost entered my GOTY list. Great hard as nails little game.Not very good for my blood pressure though hehehe

I've bought "Cook, serve, delicious", Sword of the Stars The Pit and Monaco but haven't got the chance to play them. For what I've read and watch about them they would go on this months ballot but not much time lately to play and Starseed really is a time sink for me.

You could try out a few of the other games for a few minutes still if you have some time in the next 2 days. Its also fine to vote for a game where the initial impressions convinced you.

If you need some help deciding what else to check out, here are the ones that people seem to recommend the most so far:
Clairvoyance
Quasir Al Wasat
Waking Mars
The Plan
Marvins Mittens
Cart Life
Unepic
Super House of Dead Ninjas
Atum

(Monaco is next month)

Nillansan

I have only played 2 of the games on the list, but at least both games were incredibly enjoyable.

1. Super House of Dead Ninjas.

2. Intrusion.

I'll describe what I like so much about these two later.

Thank you for the reminder Toma!

Hofmann

Oh neat, didnt think about that. Interesting.

That's only my interpretation, but there're many elements that might suggest that, like the artificial structures in one of the stages and the ending with those radio samples heard in the background.

Toma

I have only played 2 of the games on the list, but at least both games were incredibly enjoyable.

1. Super House of Dead Ninjas.

2. Intrusion.

I'll describe what I like so much about these two later.

Thank you for the reminder Toma!

I'll probably repeat myself endlessly but here are the other games most people have recommended so far:

Clairvoyance
Quasir Al Wasat
Waking Mars
The Plan
Marvins Mittens
Cart Life
Unepic
Atum
Reprisal
Teleglitch

Maybe you want to check out a few in the remaining days (First impression votes after playing are fine by me) :) A few are free or have free demos.

Nillansan

Maybe you want to check out a few in the remaining days (First impression votes after playing are fine by me) :) A few are free or have free demos.

I've already picked up Cart Life on Steam, I might give it a spin later tonight :)

Most of my gaming time is devoted to Super House of Dead Ninjas,
I still need to reach and defeat Disgust in order to cross the game off my ever growing backlog, which is no easy task

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry Toma, haven't really gotten to play much this month, only had time to be an observer mostly. That and I'm not much of a voter especially in the case of indie games. It's often like comparing apples to sandwiches, very situational.

From the list, I feel the only one mentioning that I've played within would be Teleglitch. As for others within the month, Don't Starve came out and I've enjoy my time with it so far. Also while it came out last year, La-Mulana had it's Steam release so a lot more are playing that now and it's still a good game. And it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but in no way did it come out recently, Toribash is one of my favorite fighting games due to the fact it's hardly a fighting game. I've sunk a nice chunk of hours in the game years ago.

Hofmann

I'll probably repeat myself endlessly but here are the other games most people have recommended so far:

Clairvoyance
Quasir Al Wasat
Waking Mars
The Plan
Marvins Mittens
Cart Life
Unepic
Atum
Reprisal
Teleglitch

I was disappointed with Cart Life. I felt rushed and punished for every mistake I made - where the hell in the world there are no groceries around the corner or why I coudn't open the kiosk on an empty stomach. I know hunger, but what the hell - everything is so exaggerated. It's just a few examples of unnecessary game mechanics that would not let me experience the story in a proper way.

On the other hand there's Unepic. I didn't vote for it, but it's a really fun game, that's not pretending to be something else. And I probably buy Clairvoyance at some point.

Toma

Sorry Toma, haven't really gotten to play much this month, only had time to be an observer mostly. That and I'm not much of a voter especially in the case of indie games. It's often like comparing apples to sandwiches, very situational.

From the list, I feel the only one mentioning that I've played within would be Teleglitch. As for others within the month, Don't Starve came out and I've enjoy my time with it so far. Also while it came out last year, La-Mulana had it's Steam release so a lot more are playing that now and it's still a good game. And it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but in no way did it come out recently, Toribash is one of my favorite fighting games due to the fact it's hardly a fighting game. I've sunk a nice chunk of hours in the game years ago.

Well its supposed to be subjective votes by everyone. Its perfectly fine if someone only votes for the game he liked, no matter what others think or what he might like later. The more votes we have, the more representative is the overall tally naturally. Still havent added Don't starve to any thread yet, because no one wrote up some impressions why he liked it yet. Teleglitch and La-Mulana would definitely be contenders for the current thread however. But no need to vote if you dont want to of course :) The other games that are up for voting (Toribash is naturally not included), are in the post 635: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=55211636&postcount=635

But as I said, you dont need to vote if you dont want to ;) I just wrote a PM to basically everyone on the last 5 pages to see whether there are a few people that forgot the vote or something.

Toma

I was disappointed with Cart Life. I felt rushed and punished for every mistake I made - where the hell in the world there are no groceries around the corner or why I coudn't open the kiosk on an empty stomach. I know hunger, but what the hell - everything is so exaggerated. It's just a few examples of unnecessary game mechanics that would not let me experience the story in a proper way.

On the other hand there's Unepic. I didn't vote for it, but it's a really fun game, that's not pretending to be something else. And I probably buy Clairvoyance at some point.

Hm, that was sort of the point to make though. The game isnt supposed to be easily enjoyable, making it a metaphor for life in these difficult/tough circumstances. If you excluded these "unnecessary" game mechanics the game would be way easier to play and also lose its sense of immediacy that tries to push you forward, only to allow you to relax in the small moments where you build up some emotional bonds to other characters.

Hofmann

Hm, that was sort of the point to make though. The game isnt supposed to be easily enjoyable, making it a metaphor for life in these difficult/tough circumstances. If you excluded these "unnecessary" game mechanics the game would be way easier to play and also lose its sense of immediacy that tries to push you forward, only to allow you to relax in the small moments where you build up some emotional bonds to other characters.

I know what it's trying to achieve, but why it has to be so obvious.

Toma

I know what it's trying to achieve, but why it has to be so obvious.

True, the mechanics arent really subtle. I still really liked the game for how it managed to defy my expectations when I started it up. I started it up, thinking I'd "only" (I love these games) to play an economic sim, but ended up playing something that was actually a rather personal and emotional story.

Regarding the "Obviousness", I think it was a design decision that reminds me a bit about some highly stylized in-your-face movies which I found enjoyable for how it has been presented. Sorry to hear you didnt really like it though, but it would be boring anyway if everyone liked exactly the same things ;)

Toma

Just found 2 very, very interesting games. People arent checking this thread much anymore anyway, so its not like I am ruining a surprise here for next month. Going to put them into the may thread, which now means that during month of my birthday, the Indie thread contains 42 released and 42 future games, making Indies the answer to the question of life, the universe and everything!

*dundunduuuuun*

Music of the Spheres - $4,99 (PC)
Islamic_influenced.png

http://www.desura.com/games/music-of-the-spheres

RockPaperShotgun said it best: “There’s a beauty in the apparent simplicity of the design, which like much that is contemplative is far more complex than it first appears. It’s somehow reassuring to play a puzzle game that is entirely disinclined to frustrate, hoping to create mindful, soothing spaces instead."

Music of the Spheres is a puzzle-shooter about bouncing bullets, Islamic art, and sound. In it you can fire bullets which bounce, and when they bounce, a specific glockenspiel note is played.

That simple premise gives rise to a lot of strategies, and the levels are designed to bring those strategies out. The way they do that is more “puzzle” than “shooter” - the game does not require many reflexes or risks. It just requires thoughtfulness and precision. It is intended express things concisely, and wordlessly - you do not have to be able to speak any language in order to play this game.

Freedom Fall - $6,99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
ThisWaysHard.png

http://www.desura.com/games/freedom-fall
Freedom Fall is a diabolical down-scrolling platformer set in a prison tower so tall it touches the clouds. Presented with hand painted art, its old school vibe mixes with fast-paced free falling action and a story with both dark wit and heart. With the promise of freedom for those who escape, find your way through the traps and mechanical monstrosities set up by a twisted princess who you'll wish was in another castle.

Just spent quite a bit of time with both of these and I encourage you to check out the Desura trailers for both. Too bad they dont have a demo, but both are definitely fun to play. Asked both devs about demos, will see what happens I guess.

Hofmann

Just found 2 very, very interesting games. People arent checking this thread much anymore anyway, so its not like I am ruining a surprise here for next month. Going to put them into the may thread, which now means that during month of my birthday, the Indie thread contains 42 released and 42 future games, making Indies the answer to the question of life!

*dundunduuuuun*

Music of the Spheres - $4,99 (PC)

Cool, I didn't know it's been out already.

And not only life, but the universe and everything.

Toma

Cool, I didn't know it's been out already.

And not only life, but the universe and everything.

It just popped up on Desura and got downrated for its graphics -_- Once again. How did you get to know about it before? Articles on RPS/IS?

Wok

Without transition, I have found a bad review of Kairo on the Steam thread.

Started and finished Kairo tonight. I do not recommend it; feels like a decade+ old demo made only to show off blocky 3D environments and some basic lighting and particle effects. Movement is awful and floaty and there's no true interaction; everything is done by proximity. Not sure I ever felt I was playing a game and I couldn't wait for it to be over. It's got some obscure secrets/puzzles/collectibles going for it but just not worth the price and not fun. Antichamber stomps it.

Toma

Yeah, Kairo seems like an artgame first and foremost. He compares it to Antichamber which is definitely not an "art game". Seems like a case of someone not liking art games maybe? Though I am probably not the best one to judge the situation since I havent played it yet.

Hofmann

Started and finished Kairo tonight. I do not recommend it; feels like a decade+ old demo made only to show off blocky 3D environments and some basic lighting and particle effects. Movement is awful and floaty and there's no true interaction; everything is done by proximity. Not sure I ever felt I was playing a game and I couldn't wait for it to be over. It's got some obscure secrets/puzzles/collectibles going for it but just not worth the price and not fun. Antichamber stomps it.

They're completely different. Antichamber is a pure puzzle game and in Kairo puzzles are only a tool to tell a story.

Today I found an interesting article dissecting the game's story: http://www.electrondance.com/the-secret-of-kairo/.

gabbo

My votes:
Atum - Great idea, Loved the implementation. The 'ingame' felt like something out of a Philip K Dick novel
Teleglitch - Top down Doom. What's not to love? Deeper than one might think, even a little suspenseful.
Marvin's Mittens - Have had a copy of this for a while, and just played it for the first time this month. The soundtrack is amazing. Play it for that alone. I get Winny the Pooh vibes, which is A-Ok with me. Whimsical platforming ++
Intrusion 2 - More Contra is always good. Easy to jump into on a whim
The Plan - Unique experience to say the least, with a nice twist.
Super House of Dead Ninjas - Action platforming + adult swim = mindless fun.

Special Mention:
Hyperspace pinball
Lumber Island

It wasn't quite the haul that March was, but Atum would be right up there with Papers, Please for top tier quality.

Toma

It wasn't quite the haul that March was, but Atum would be right up there with Papers, Please for top tier quality.

I might not have mentioned it yet *whistles* but did you try Unepic?

Bleeether

My votes:

(New games)
Sword of the Stars: The Pitt
Don't Starve
UnderRail (Still in Beta but so good)

(Older Games)
Binding of Isaac
Faster than Light

Edit: These are the only games i've played this month =/

Corto

Just played a few minutes of Atum and love the whole concept of the game. Really interesting. Will play a bit more but it seems that I'll have to add it to my ballot.

I might not have mentioned it yet *whistles* but did you try Unepic?

I just wanted to say that, as a Spanish guy, I really appreciate all the promoting you're doing for Unepic. I kind of feel that it would be dishonest if I did so myself (even though I have no relationship whatsoever to the game nor do I know any of its authors), so thanks. :)

I really love that at least the indie scene is producing really great Spanish games as of late (what with Locomalito's and this), because, aside from a handful of studios like Mercury Steam and their Castlevanias, Spain's production has been almost non-existent for the past decade.

Toma

I just wanted to say that, as a Spanish guy, I really appreciate all the promoting you're doing for Unepic. I kind of feel that it would be dishonest if I did so myself (even though I have no relationship whatsoever to the game nor do I know any of its authors), so thanks. :)

I really love that at least the indie scene is producing really great Spanish games as of late (what with Locomalito's and this), because, aside from a handful of studios like Mercury Steam and their Castlevanias, Spain's production has been almost non-existent for the past decade.

No need to feel bad about "promoting" it if you are unrelated to the game. Its a great, great game that totally caught me off guard. I am super itchy to create a thread for it and hope someone else wont do it before me.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Yeah, Kairo seems like an artgame first and foremost. He compares it to Antichamber which is definitely not an "art game". Seems like a case of someone not liking art games maybe? Though I am probably not the best one to judge the situation since I havent played it yet.

That must be it. I bought and 100%'d the game because I don't like "art games". It's an opinion, not sure why it can't be valid that I just don't like -->KAIRO<-- on its own merits. I compare it to Antichamber because it's the most recent release that's remotely similar to Kairo, and I believe more people would enjoy Antichamber between the two. I had criticisms of Antichamber as well, to be fair. Finished both and they're not the apples and oranges you imply, either.

Toma

That must be it. I bought and 100%'d the game because I don't like "art games". It's an opinion, not sure why it can't be valid that I just don't like -->KAIRO<-- on its own merits. I compare it to Antichamber because it's the most recent release that's remotely similar to Kairo, and I believe more people would enjoy Antichamber between the two. I had criticisms of Antichamber as well, to be fair. Finished both and they're not the apples and oranges you imply, either.

Hey, Xelios! No need to get all aggressive :) I was just suggesting that this might have been a reason for the problems you described. It wasnt meant to be insulting. People dont need to like every game and whether thats due to them not liking a certain "art" game or on its own merits doesnt really matter. Both opinions are fine.
And as I said, I havent played it yet, so I definitely wasnt judging/attacking your own opinion! Although a comparison between Antichamber and Kairo is still a rather weird one to make :p It seems like comparing Super Meat Boy to To The Moon.

Oh and judging from the videos I saw, I am actually leaning towards not being all that interested in Kairo anyway, so your impression of me trying to "defend" that game is actually a rather amusing notion. But thanks for clarifying, I'd actually would like to read more on why exactly you didnt like it as a contrast to the ones who did.

Hofmann

Of course, everybody has a right to have an opinion. Funny thing is, but I don't even think of Kairo as an art game. I just love how it uses environment to tell a good coherent sci-fi story. And I think it was quite obvious after final scene what it was all about.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Hey, Xelios! No need to get all aggressive :) I was just suggesting that this might have been a reason for the problems you described. It wasnt meant to be insulting. People dont need to like every game and whether thats due to them not liking a certain "art" game or on its own merits doesnt really matter. Both opinions are fine.
And as I said, I havent played it yet, so I definitely wasnt judging/attacking your own opinion! Although a comparison between Antichamber and Kairo is still a rather weird one to make :p It seems like comparing Super Meat Boy to To The Moon.

Oh and judging from the videos I saw, I am actually leaning towards not being all that interested in Kairo anyway, so me trying to "defend" that game is actually a rather amusing notion.

Sorry if I came across as aggressive. I didn't imply that you were defending the game, though--just writing off my opinion because I may not like artsy games.

Antichamber and Kairo are both 3D, first-person exploratory games with significant puzzle elements. Both take place in rather barren geometric worlds with crude graphics, extremely little text or in-your-face story and a heavy emphasis on the player putting everything into place.

Super Meat Boy is a fast action, hardcore sidescrolling platformer with minimal story while To The Moon is a slow-paced, text heavy, top-down RPG Maker adventure with an emphasis on telling a touching story. If anything, your comparisons are not genuine.

Edit: Below - Hey Toma! No need to get all passive-aggressive. There are plenty of puzzles in Kairo and the games have major overlap in the same genres. Perhaps you should play it after all.

Toma

Sorry if I came across as aggressive. I didn't imply that you were defending the game, though--just writing off my opinion because I may not like artsy games.

Antichamber and Kairo are both 3D, first-person exploratory games with significant puzzle elements. Both take place in rather barren geometric worlds with crude graphics, extremely little text or in-your-face story and a heavy emphasis on the player putting everything into place.

Super Meat Boy is a fast action, hardcore sidescrolling platformer with minimal story while To The Moon is a slow-paced, text heavy, top-down RPG Maker adventure with an emphasis on telling a touching story. If anything, your comparisons are not genuine.

I was obviously exaggerating my "comparison", but yeah, maybe I should play Kairo if its as puzzle heavy as Antichamber! From what I saw, it didnt seem to be, so color me positively surprised.

Toma

Edit: Below - Hey Toma! No need to get all passive-aggressive. There are plenty of puzzles in Kairo and the games have major overlap in the same genres. Perhaps you should play it after all.

I was actually being honest there :p I never got the impression that Kairo is puzzle focused at all and I found it interesting that some people now seem to make it out to be. Its just surprising, since I didnt expect that, so yeah! I might end up checking it out.

kafiend

Code:
Voting

Unepic
I'll probably vote for this every time it comes up :) Love it, just the right mix of RPG, platforms, puzzles, running, jumping and smacking stuff around. I even spent a happy 1/2 hour on a challenge the other day and I usually hate that stuff. Love it when they crop up. Its my current goto game when I got an hour to play.

Marvins Mittens.
Not spent as much time with this as I want to but its charming, fun and a Gaffer made it :)

Waking Mars
I Like it. Again, time been against me recently but I like the soundtrack and what I played so far has been pretty peaceful. Nice bit of wandering around arbitrarily deciding whats good life and make more and deciding whats bad and kill it a little :) Acid is bad mkay.. Don't take that sentance as me picking holes in the idea, its a good game. Though if there's a bit in the game later where I gotta blow something up and kill it I'll be sad.

If I could fill my other 2 slots up with Unepic - I would :p

I wish I could be a bit more discerning in what I voted for but thats about what I've played this month on the list. There were a couple on the list I did play that I disliked, one of them a lot.
I also played couple of roguelikes not on the list, one I love and one that absolutely infuriated me - Oi - Rogues Tale! Your obnoxious login to my single player experience and inyaface EULA pissed me off before I even started playing.

I also played Knytt Underground which I thought was going to one of my favorite games of the year. Loved it, loved it, loved it until I started Chapter 2. WTF devs? from Chapter One's oodles of fantastic to a fucking ball?

I also rediscovered my love of Lasercat. Needs a mention next month, its fantastic!

Did I mention Unepic is good?

Hofmann

I was actually being honest there :p I never got the impression that Kairo is puzzle focused at all and I found it interesting that some people now seem to make it out to be. Its just surprising, since I didnt expect that, so yeah! I might end up checking it out.

There are puzzles, but in my opinion they're intentionally easy and each of them does something in terms of narrative. Where Antichamber is like hardcore Portal without story at all for the most part.

Top Bottom