• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [April] Now Voting - Post 635!

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Oh geez, I guess I should have put some more time in the write-ups...

when was Super Time Force announced for PC?

afaik it has (I guess limited) XBLA exclusivity
They aren't saying anything official, but yes. It will be out on PC after a period of XBLA exclusivity. When that comes out, maybe next year...

Also just to provide some correct information. Clairvoyance is $5 now during the beta ($10 at launch price) not $15 and also available for Mac.

Well, better get this show on the road. I don't really like this game too much, it's got real jittery handling. However, I am very competitive so if anyone beats my time.........well, it's on.

Kaboom

BbVBYxf.jpg

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Oh geez, I guess I should have put some more time in the write-ups...

They aren't saying anything official, but yes. It will be out on PC after a period of XBLA exclusivity. When that comes out, maybe next year...

Also just to provide some correct information. Clairvoyance is $5 now during the beta ($10 at launch price) not $15 and also available for Mac.

Thanks, corrected.

Also, feel free to write a better blurb. I didnt play some games, so some texts are better than others.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Also in the hate camp:

D'aww. Seems I chose a bad game for the contest if people dont seem to like it. Ah well. Not everything can go smoothly.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Nah the game is fine. I just hate Sonic 'genre'. And I'm sure as month goes by and more people try it the opinions will even out.

McSpidey

Awesome thread Toma! Thanks for your approval to post this.

I just wanted to direct people's attention to keep an eye on GAF's very own Indie Dev thread. Quite a few indie games get announced there now and the small teams would love it if their game announcements ended up in this thread somehow. Most just want more feedback on their efforts :)

My bro and fellow gaffer Paz just announced his in-development solo/local co-op arena shooter: Assault Android Cactus
So excited right now, we just announced our game: Assault Android Cactus!

Here's a youtube link to our reveal trailer.

There are only 3 of us on the team, and two of us left our jobs to do this full time. I couldn't be happier with what we've made and I hope that comes through in the trailer :)

Screens:
If you like what you see then please check out our Greenlight, or visit the development blog.
It's coming for PC/Mac/Linux :)
-

I also really like the recently released Chopper Mike. It's a deceptively simple looking, level based navigation puzzle game. I bought it on iOS but it's out on basically every platform. Here is Razu's iOS/Android announcement post.

Another reason to invite Indie Dev GAF over is the occasional freebies they give out, like Razu did for Chopper Mike recently.

There is so much variety, please take the time to look it over and invite the devs in. It's all a little intimidating but they're just people making cool stuff on their own time and would love to be made welcome here :)

Will follow this thread.

I want to try KRZ but it's too rich for my blood, especially considering it looks like there's basically no "game" there.

Raxum

Damn, I go to sleep at a weird time, wake up and the thread is already taking off! Great OP Toma, quite a few games in there I have yet to try. Unfortunately for me, the contest has mostly games I already own, but once I get home from a family lunch I'll try and get my entry going anyway.

Glad to see you using some impressions from the old thread for the list, would've saved some serious time. So, if people want to help out, play the games! Give some impressions, Toma can use them.

Holy crap at the amount of games in the OP. And here I though I might catch a break this month.
Awesome work as always, Toma. :)
Also, absolutely get Waking Mars for 1$, guys; I'm loving it.

oipic

Wonderful thread, Toma - thanks again for all your work in putting this together.

Gee, when you see them all listed like this, it really rams home just how many great games and ideas are bubbling along in the indie game scene - great stuff. Gaming is alive and well.

Man, I'm still super eagerly anticipating Monaco. Just a few weeks left!

Glad that I now know about Chasm. That looks and sounds right up my alley! Shame that it appears to have a set early 2014 release date according to their Greenlight page. That feels so far away.

Gone Home has also popped up a few times in my head recently. Hopefully, that releases sometime later this year.

Hofmann

If you're somehow fascinated by Kentucky Route Zero, you may find this article: http://superlevel.de/spiele/indie-spiele/kentucky-fried-zero/ really interesting. It explores cultural references, which inspired the authors of the game.
Yeah, it's in German, but Google shouldn't have any problems with translation.

It's well worth checking out. Maybe next time you play it, you will see it in a different light - at least I did to an extent.

Oh hey, Freedom Planet! Really looking forward to that one.

It's not really a free alpha; the actual alpha is going out to people who pledged $50 or more on the Kickstarter a few months back. I'm one of those people (Sonic was my all-time favorite series, growing up with a Genesis, and I really liked the game when it first had a playable demo last year, so pledging seemed a no-brainer); I'd let you know how it is, but, well, NDAs. :p

Supposedly Strife was planning on making a new demo to reflect all the changes made to the game since the last one (new HUD, widescreen, tweaks to how fast your bar charges, etc), but it'd still basically be Dragon Valley and Shang Mu Academy.

Nimajneb

I actually like Freedom Planet more than the actual Sonic games. It has a more complete move set, a non stupid health system, and the level design doesn't involve running really fast and hitting walls of spikes you can't see coming. It kind of feels like Sonic's been crossed with Mega Man x, which is where most of the enemy design seems to have been borrowed from.

Anyway, here's my time:

Maedhros

I actually like Freedom Planet more than the actual Sonic games. It has a more complete move set, a non stupid health system, and the level design doesn't involve running really fast and hitting walls of spikes you can't see coming. It kind of feels like Sonic's been crossed with Mega Man x, which is where most of the enemy design seems to have been borrowed from.

Anyway, here's my time:

I don't remember a time where I played a old Sonic game which had unfair level design (EXCEPT Metropolis City in Sonic 2, which had unfair enemy placement).

Wow, I can't believe someone else would match my thoughts about the game so perfectly. I agree with everything, from the sensible health system, to the level design that is not simply autopilot cruising, to the more interesting move set (which is bound to expand as the release version is supposed to have like 8-10 characters, I think).

Toma

Can't decide if that is an insult or something supposed to make it worthy of interest :D

Its a very, very interestingly designed concept with lots of very interesting background information/jokes. If you are not sure about plunging $10 towards a "weirdly childish" looking game, check out one of his earlier free shorts: http://landsofdream.net/games/the-fabulous-screech/ Keep in mind that the $10 game is way more ambitious, bigger and non-linear.

Toma

fantastic thread op, so many interesting games that i didn't know about!

only 2 pages btw ? gaf disappoints me :(

The first thread probably didnt even have 1 page after 1 day.

Its a very, very interestingly designed concept with lots of very interesting background information/jokes. If you are not sure about plunging $10 towards a "weirdly childish" looking game, check out one of his earlier free shorts: http://landsofdream.net/games/the-fabulous-screech/ Keep in mind that the $10 game is way more ambitious, bigger and non-linear.

Thanks for the recommendation, paid recently so I can try some cheap new things without much worry but I downloaded the free game first to get an idea of what his style is. Will give it a go after my nap and report back.

If anyone is still playing Turn & Burn, there is a couple of (I believe) undocumented features, both via spacebar.
When you're perched in a castle, Spacebar makes you start flying. This is the same as clicking on the castle itself, but obviously much faster.
But the really great one is: when flying, Spacebar makes you SHOOT. That's right, you can fry peasants/knights on the fly (literally). You only shoot normal fireballs when flying (powerups don't affect them), but it still wildly extends the time you can spend flying without risking those pesky knights freeing your princesses.

What I've been playing a lot of is Waking Mars, though. Really unique and fascinating game. In case anyone missed it, it's 1$ until tomorrow at IndieGameStand.

robotnik

5. The Sea will claim everything - $10 (PC)
jnHsBBSgLmPJr.png

http://landsofdream.net/games/the-se...im-everything/
Like peering into the mind of a 5 year old who read Nietzsche.
I got game from Corto (thanks again!) and played through a few hours. My first impression was wtf?! Strange GUI (no usual buttons and, for example, you need to save game in the Bob, nipples or kittens lol), characters (mostly animals) and their dialogues. But the more I play, the more I like game and now I want to know about other works of the developer.

Here's a couple more to add for April, just downloaded and about to check them out.

Couple of kickstarters which both have demos.

Sound Self - Prototype/Demo (which is on KickStarter)
KickStarter Page

SOUND SELF PROTOTYPE DEMO

Game is from Robin Arnott who is a Sound Designer, he worked on Anitichamber's sound design and created Deep Sea. His new game Sound Self if due 2014 for PC, Mac and Linux and has an active kickstarter above.

SoundSelf is a sensual exploration game about the intrinsic pleasure of playing instead of the rewards of winning. You use your voice to explore a hypnotic world of sounds and visuals that feel like they are emerging directly from your body. Each tone will navigate you through strobing tunnels-of-light, impossible shapes, and into a meditative trance. The result is an elegant symmetry of image, sound and body that takes advantage of loopholes in the way you perceive to facilitate a new experience of yourself and your world. Each play-through lasts one extremely intense hour.

c2841d33d1f1ba99c99f329168308026_large.png

There is no right way to play SoundSelf: Play with different sounds and the game will dance with you, or sustain long tones and SoundSelf will take you deep into your own sonic universe. Play alone, or share the experience with friends - no two players will have the same journey, and no one player will experience what many will together.

Xing
Kickstarter Page

FREE ROAM DEMO

You Died.

Welcome to XING.

capture11.jpg

Your body may be gone, but your life has just begun. In death, you will find yourself on a journey across a series of mysterious islands. You will encounter perplexing puzzles, trapped souls, and the power to change the environment around you. Spiritualism, mysticism and logic come together in the land of XING, where you will traverse mountains, deserts, forests, volcanoes and more.

Forest Story (7 Day Rouge Like game)

GAME DOWNLOAD PC ONLY

From the developer of Proteus.

The annual Seven Day Roguelike competition was going on last week. I made an incomplete game called “Forest Story” about foraging and trying not to poison yourself, but didn’t finish to my satisfaction. Regardless, I thought I’d write something about how I felt it went, what I’m thinking of doing with this idea in future and naturally to make the “7 days” build available to download.

ForestStory-2013-03-15-0002.png

Wow, I can't believe someone else would match my thoughts about the game so perfectly. I agree with everything, from the sensible health system, to the level design that is not simply autopilot cruising, to the more interesting move set (which is bound to expand as the release version is supposed to have like 8-10 characters, I think).
3-5, actually.

Top Bottom