• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [August] Now Voting - Post 937!

Tak3n

Banned
But it's only 3.99 now and the dev said the price will go up. Not sure if the price will increase tomorrow

Well he posted on Aug 3rd on his site

"Next update is scheduled to be in two weeks"

so I would be very surprised if he put price up before then...

Was just reading up on this, did he get some funds from somewhere? as he said on his funding page he has given up work to do the game full time, but he only got $125 in funding

MirrorMoon EP is now available to pre-order from the developers site. $8.99
http://www.mirrormoongame.com/

4XQh8Gq.png

Alongside the pre-order you will get access to the onilne beta, which is live on PC and Mac.

In the beta you can travel across galaxies and explore planets in every star system. Also lets you share Galaxy Maps with other players, the first explorers to land on a planet will be able to name its star and that name will be bound to that star for every other player to see, forever. That's cool!

Also anyone who pre-purchases MirrorMoon EP will get a Steam key on launch day, September 4. A Linux version will launch September 4th and an Ouya version is coming later in the year.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

4XQh8Gq.png

Alongside the pre-order you will get access to the onilne beta, which is live on PC and Mac.

In the beta you can travel across galaxies and explore planets in every star system. Also lets you share Galaxy Maps with other players, the first explorers to land on a planet will be able to name its star and that name will be bound to that star for every other player to see, forever. That's cool!

Also anyone who pre-purchases MirrorMoon EP will get a Steam key on launch day, September 4. A Linux version will launch September 4th and an Ouya version is coming later in the year.

And bought.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

4XQh8Gq.png

uuuuugh devs I don't have all this money to give you stop coming out all within the next month

From watching a gameplay video, it reminds me of this iOS/eShop game called Glow Artisan. I'll definitely give Strata a try,

Ah, finally. I've had my eye on this for quite awhile now. Seems like it'll be a good adventure game.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
First planet named Toma1.

Toma2 and 3 coming! :p

I actually wanted to name them like [T]IndieGame, like [T]Factorio or whatever, but it only allows for 6 characters and no special characters.

Part 3 of my impressions of the OP games:

Part 2: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=74711031&postcount=275

Dungeonmans
A solid roguelike, not a massive fan of the genre but this game seems highly competent. I especially like how it is broader in its approach being an entire world rather then a single large dungeon. Confident this may be something I check out again once it is released proper.
3.5/5

Dusty Revenge - Didn't Buy
I have nothing against spending 7 quid on this game, if the gameplay is good enough the art is definitely good enough. However, being a brawler gameplay is so important and I can't in good faith drop money on this cos in 10 seconds of trying it I might end up just not gelling with the mechanics. I've got it on my 'watch list' though.
-/5

Elliot Quest
Dull. A noble attempt, but the levels are just super limited and simplistic.
1/5

Ergon / Logos
My kind game, super insane. Actually started to blur up my vision a bit trying to read all the rapidly moving text with massively contrasting colours. A strange beast, but I enjoyed it.
4/5

Experiment12
I found this both cool and disappointing in equal measures. Some of the chapters were cool, disturbing and well put together and others were perhaps a little over ambitious and I feel perhaps didn't quite follow the brief. Overall an amusing trip down a well of depression, disease and insanity.
3/5

Fran Bow
An amusing game, I really liked the ingame art style although the cutscene style came across a little hoky for me. Actually there is a lot about this game which is a little hoky, the in your face levels of scary things to see makes all the scares really overexposed and fairly tame. That said I found some of it rather charming in a funfair haunted house kinda way and I like the dual nature of the world.
3/5

Toma

Dungeonmans
A solid roguelike, not a massive fan of the genre but this game seems highly competent. I especially like how it is broader in its approach being an entire world rather then a single large dungeon. Confident this may be something I check out again once it is released proper.
3.5/5

Dusty Revenge - Didn't Buy
I have nothing against spending 7 quid on this game, if the gameplay is good enough the art is definitely good enough. However, being a brawler gameplay is so important and I can't in good faith drop money on this cos in 10 seconds of trying it I might end up just not gelling with the mechanics. I've got it on my 'watch list' though.
-/5

Elliot Quest
1/5

Ergon / Logos
My kind game, super insane. Actually started to blur up my vision a bit trying to read all the rapidly moving text with massively contrasting colours. A strange beast, but I enjoyed it.
4/5

Experiment12
I found this both cool and disappointing in equal measures. Some of the chapters were cool, disturbing and well put together and others were perhaps a little over ambitious and I feel perhaps didn't quite follow the brief. Overall an amusing trip down a well of depression, disease and insanity.
3/5

Fran Bow
An amusing game, I really liked the ingame art style although the cutscene style came across a little hoky for me. Actually there is a lot about this game which is a little hoky, the in your face levels of scary things to see makes all the scares really overexposed and fairly tame. That said I found some of it rather charming in a funfair haunted house kinda way and I like the dual nature of the world.
3/5

Hugely enjoying reading your compiled impressions on the OT games :) Thanks a lot for posting.

Hugely enjoying reading your compiled impressions on the OT games :) Thanks a lot for posting.

Thanks, I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy announcing my opinions in the slightly narcissistic way that I am. :D And if I help give a good game some more folks trying it all the better.

just drop your cards below market price...enough to get you 9.99!

you'll sell em much faster
Thanks for this suggestion. I was hoping to get most I could for cards, but it seems that quality over quantity is better, lol

Already made it to $9.31! So that takes care of my Steam worries. Definitely getting Inverto now :)

And I'd recommend trying the freeware version. Only six levels (unless I haven't unlocked the others) that offer a nice spatial puzzle challenges. The full version will have 16 level with more puzzle elements like teleporters. And I can run it on the best settings so that's always a plus

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/07/precinct-kickstarter-arrested-alternative-funds-sought/

So the in progress game Precinct by Jim Walls (Police Quest) has a new crowdfunding page here.

Now this is the interesting part.
Precinct Backers can pledge ANY amount they wish, at any time, and ALL backers receive a digital download of the finished game whether they pledged $1 or $10,000 throughout the project.

Here's the Kickstarter page for more details. Right now, the "game" seems more like a concept than something playable. But the concept seems cool and there aren't enough police games

Toma

Just wanted to start looking at this months games, and noticed I did already quite a few of them :p

Thats what I call progress!

I figured this would be the best place to ask but does anyone know when Spelunky is coming out of PSN I've been dying to play it since I saw the 360 version. The latest EDGE mag states it's already been released on a vita advert.

Hey, Toma, your threads are making progress. June's thread reached page 10 on the 9th day, July reached on the 8th, and now August is on page 10 only a week into the thread. More GAFfers are posting here, that's a good sign :)

Toma

Elliot Quest
1/5

Hmmm, just played this for 30 minutes. How long did you play it? I kinda disagree with your assessment. The game actually offers a good sense of exploration and enemy variety with a touch of metroidvania. The first area I entered had multiple branches and areas with goods to find and in the end I was entering a huge hidden dungeon which I needed to traverse Zelda style (finding keys, unlocking doors) with quite a few more different monsters and boss fights. It wasnt... fast paced, but it kinda.. had something going for it. The beginning was rather easy, but the dungeon was rather extensive and hard.

Not sure whether I'll buy it, but it wasnt bad and I might grab it if I am in the mood for a slower Zelda II style exploration game. I'd probably give it 3/5 so far.

Hey, Toma, your threads are making progress. June's thread reached page 10 on the 9th day, July reached on the 8th, and now August is on page 10 only a week into the thread. More GAFfers are posting here, that's a good sign :)

Yep, good thing :)

Toma

Dungeonmans
3.5/5

That one is indeed pretty good and already seems to have quite some content regarding loot. I also like the Rogue Legacy kind of approach in regard to the character progression. You can find artefacts that will enhance the next characters you play too. I'll definitely wait for some more content but I'll get back to this once it fully releases.

Toma

I'd really love to check out Infested Planet, but 15$ is simply too much.
And where did you guys download Outer Worlds? Cant find a link on the website.

I'd really love to check out Infested Planet, but 15$ is simply too much.
I had stupidly bought it when I first got involved with Steam. It was my first purchase, I was still in awe of Steam and PC gaming. Just my luck that there are issues with Intel cards and I haven't played that much. But the forum impressions are quite positive and the dev is very active

Toma

I had stupidly bought it when I first got involved with Steam. It was my first purchase, I was still in awe of Steam and PC gaming. Just my luck that there are issues with Intel cards and I haven't played that much. But the forum impressions are quite positive and the dev is very active

Sure, but still 15$ gives me 3-5 other Indies. Indie Games simply NEED a demo. Its just stupid not to offer one.

Toma

Also: While Unholy Heights is more charming and definitely deserves my money, I liked Smooth Operators more, based on my impressions in the UH demo. Both are good games, but if you have any interest in sim type games, Smooth Operators is really quite decent.

Oh yeah! $10.16! I had 7.31 in my Wallet last night!
I found the best way to get faster sales is to list cards and then remove them after a while, then re-list them. Every time I did that, I'd get a sale or two within ten, fifteen minutes

Now I have enough for Papers, Please or some other upcoming games!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Since the game is pretty much a week away from release, we probably need an OT for Unholy Heights. Unfortunately, I can't make it, since I was involved with the game. Anyone care to help out?

Cth

CRszFvh.png

From the March thread (will likely go back to visit more on this list, especially Papers Please)

Bientôt L'été - $9,99 (PC, Steam)

i7COQvZoVTZEp.gif

Managed to get a copy of this game from the soundtrack contest last month. To be honest, it was on my watch list because of how well it simulated walking on the beach. Yeah, I'm an easy mark. Seriously though, I'm all about simulations especially relaxing ones. To be honest, I skipped the whole chess game aspect for now. I'll get back to it eventually, as my daughter was playing with me and I figured her eyes would glaze over when that aspect started.

I'll probably revisit it with a future WW.

http://tale-of-tales.com/bientotlete/

Hammerwatch - Free Beta (PC)

637x358.resizedimage

Just recently found out about this one and grabbed the beta to check it out.. and instantly fell in love with it. Great music, effects, and gameplay. Felt like a modern take on Gauntlet. I can't wait to see the final version to see how random things are and what the community comes up with.

That would be hugely appreciated :)

Oh and I played the demo for about one hour. It definitely shows the charme of the game. I wont be able to describe it better than you do, so I wont try, but I still want to get some impressions out.

The game seems a bit simple, considering you dont actually do much, other than keeping the monsters content and selecting the battle formation of your tenants. I see that the game has some deeper elements going for it, like the wife/husband bonusses, items that apparently influence some aspects (like more rain) and monsters with different affinities. Its all pretty charming, but the demo seems a bit too hands off, since there isnt much you can do/strategize with the limited amount of tenants. I still definitely like it however and will buy the game once it releases :)

Other than it being a bit too simple in the demo, there are 2 other things I am slightly missing:

1. The game should be able to continue running in the background. Considering you cant have it grind endlessly because you have random adventurers looting you, it would be nice to have it run in the background for a bit, hear an adventurer approaching and then switch to the game.

2. I guess its not up for you to tell the devs some improvement ideas, but a "perma death" mode that saves automatically after each day would be cool, since it feels a bit cheap to just save before fights and retry them, which basically means you rarely have to deal with losses.

Anyway, incredibly charming game, but I feel that the demo isnt quite representative of the tactical depth later on. I hope I am right with that :p

Edit: Game related question. When a child grows up to be stronger than the parents, should I expel the parents so that the child gets another wife and makes even stronger kids? Is that how it works?

Yeah the demo really is just a teaser and not very representative of the difficulty of the game.

Although the strategy never gets insanely deep, as you expand your building with more floors you have more freedom in your strategies. It mostly revolves around creating bottlenecks on the various floors and trying to separate the stronger Adventurers from the grunts.

Remember this awesome video showing off the incredible real time soft body physics engine?

Well it has a nice demo with a one destructible car and big sandbox. The site has allows purchase of the early access beta of the full game which uses the engine. (Trailer for that here)

I can only run the demo on low, so it would be really cool if those with powerful computers who try the demo could upload some videos of high settings gameplay.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Hi all.
One of indie dev gaf here. I don't know if any of you are interested in iOS games, but I have just released one that I made. I like to think of it as a twitch/puzzle platformer. It has one-touch controls, as I wanted to try to make a good, challenging platforming game for touch screens without using virtual controls.

In the game there are 50 levels. You have to collect the five stars in each level to complete it (and do it under the 'master time' to complete it properly). There are blue platforms and red platforms. You can use the blue platforms, but the red ones destroy you. The levels require good reflexes and timing, so If you are a fan of games where you have to get things just right you might like this.

Here is a gameplay video from an iPad (although the actual game runs at 60fps):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUu9I-ssC-0

It costs just $0.99. In full disclosure, there is one IAP, but it is completely optional. All it does is unlock all the levels in advance, whereas they unlock normally as you play through the game.

Here it is on itunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gleamer/id622456407

And here are some examples of the levels:

PFbiH6N.png

Ninja'd

If anyone's interested, I beta tested and the game is great. Challenging, fun and the tap control is tailor made for touch screen.

Hmmm, just played this for 30 minutes. How long did you play it? I kinda disagree with your assessment. The game actually offers a good sense of exploration and enemy variety with a touch of metroidvania. The first area I entered had multiple branches and areas with goods to find and in the end I was entering a huge hidden dungeon which I needed to traverse Zelda style (finding keys, unlocking doors) with quite a few more different monsters and boss fights. It wasnt... fast paced, but it kinda.. had something going for it. The beginning was rather easy, but the dungeon was rather extensive and hard.

Not sure whether I'll buy it, but it wasnt bad and I might grab it if I am in the mood for a slower Zelda II style exploration game. I'd probably give it 3/5 so far.

Probably about 20-25 minutes. Judging from the map I was probably about 50-75% through that first dungeon area you go to after the sorta chasm-y forest you traverse. Can't say it did anything for me, I found the movement too slow, the exploration too focused on backtracking after endless Y junctions and the monster battling painfully simplistic. I would also argue that making it so you can RNG miss in a non-turn based game is an awful choice. Yeah, looks like this might be one where we have to agree to disagree, or settle our dispute through bloodthirsty gladiatorial combat.

Toma

Probably about 20-25 minutes. Judging from the map I was probably about 50-75% through that first dungeon area you go to after the sorta chasm-y forest you traverse. Can't say it did anything for me, I found the movement too slow, the exploration too focused on backtracking after endless Y junctions and the monster battling painfully simplistic. I would also argue that making it so you can RNG miss in a non-turn based game is an awful choice. Yeah, looks like this might be one where we have to agree to disagree, or settle our dispute through bloodthirsty gladiatorial combat.

Not saying it was a terribly good game, but I definitely saw some promise and interesting exploration. Ah well, cant agree on everything.

And asking again, where/how do I download Outer Wilds? Cant find the dl link.

Toma

Since the game is pretty much a week away from release, we probably need an OT for Unholy Heights. Unfortunately, I can't make it, since I was involved with the game. Anyone care to help out?

To be honest a pre-release OT probably wouldnt do the game many favors due to the rather weak demo. I'll create a thread for it once it releases if no one else does by then, but everyone who'd be interested in the game for the demo thread, would also buy it once it releases fully and you'd get more impulse purchases. No need to believe me of course, but thats my humble advice after creating countless Indie threads here.

Paz

Thursday tickets are still available, yay just bought one. Can't wait to check out your game, are you there for all days from 26th-29th Sept?

Unfortunately I can't spare the time or money (The cost of flights alone is more than my current savings are at) to be there myself, but the game will be set up on all those days in the Indie Game Arcade area.

I'll be getting a good friend who knows the game inside & out to handle things at the venue, although details are all a bit fuzzy right now as it was just announced.

Thus is the life of an indie developer, can't even afford to see my own game at the expo :p

elyetis

So many good games each month, so little time...

Bought build and defend few days ago, seems fun from the little I played, will spend more time on it when I get the opportunity to play it in coop.

Still need to take time to try Chess the gathering too..

Unfortunately I can't spare the time or money (The cost of flights alone is more than my current savings are at) to be there myself, but the game will be set up on all those days in the Indie Game Arcade area.

I'll be getting a good friend who knows the game inside & out to handle things at the venue, although details are all a bit fuzzy right now as it was just announced.

Thus is the life of an indie developer, can't even afford to see my own game at the expo :p
No worries, as long as I get to play it :)

Best of luck on finishing the game.

Toma

So many good games each month, so little time...

Bought build and defend few days ago, seems fun from the little I played, will spend more time on it when I get the opportunity to play it in coop.

Still need to take time to try Chess the gathering too..

I'd definitely want to play a few more matches too. Let me know if you need a partner.

Tried Outer Wilds but the game didn't run well on my crap laptop and the mouse acceleration was all messed. Is there any way to config it?

Anyone want to give me a good list of all the indie games for this August?

The Dream Machine Chapter 4 - August 1st (need to finish Ch 3)

Papers, Please - 2 hours left

Guacamelee - 2 hours left

Spelunky - 2 hours left

Gone Home - August 15th

Oh wait, this Indie Statik article helps.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is coming to Steam on August 28th for £10/$15

XBLA Trailer

A man, clinging to life. His two sons, desperate to cure their ailing father, are left with but one option. They must set out upon a journey to find and bring back the "Water of Life" as they come to rely on one another to survive. One must be strong where the other is weak, brave where the other is fearful, they must be... Brothers.

brothers-1jpg-4805ee.jpg

brothersmsft02jpg-50eb9a.jpg

brothers-5jpg-4805f0.jpg

Toma

Just played the EU4 demo for 4 hours and only stopped because my ally england was fucking me over in a peace agreement and gave away one of my regions without my consent.

...goodbye world.

Top Bottom