• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [August] Now Voting - Post 937!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
By the way, ya'll

It's almost the first wednesday of the month.

I hope everyone is...rdy 4 fun!

Looking forward to it and expecting to hear a few games I know ;p

So should I save for Papers, Please (or some other cool release down the line) or get discounted Super House of Dead Ninjas + DLC?

And almost forgot..Wayback Wednesday tomorrow!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So should I save for Papers, Please (or some other cool release down the line) or get discounted Super House of Dead Ninjas + DLC?

And almost forgot..Wayback Wednesday tomorrow!

True! I'll post the standard Wayback Wednesday post tomorrow when I wake up.

Raxum

Just bought True Skate on Android and it's amazing.

Just tried out True Skate, and you're right! Thanks for the heads up.

Also, work has been crazy busy this last month, barely any time for gaming, but I did get to try Cube World. Amazing game for a project by a guy and his wife. I am patiently awaiting updates to the game. Hopefully this month will be more open for me to try some Indie titles and get back into the thread a little.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
re: Strata—
Basically a puzzle game with a mechanic that I have no clue how it works!

You layer the ribbons so that the color in the square matches the color of the ribbon on top.

i75Up2ajnUpwn.jpg

Doesn't matter what the ribbon on the bottom is; if the square is cyan, the ribbon on top must also be cyan. (Intersections without color are effectively free spaces.) Each intersection of the grid must have two ribbons crossing through it, so you have to carefully consider which colors to put down in what order until they are all filled properly.

i6tIWuSvFhm7Q.jpg

You can undo moves if you realize you've messed up, but this will prevent you from getting a "perfect". The tutorial does a good job of explaining everything.

There are four "sets", which are basically your worlds. With the exception of the first, each world has four groups of levels.

ibg8rJI9F0s4Pe.jpg

The groups are labeled 2×2, 3×3 and so on; this indicates both the number of levels within the group and the size of the ribbon matrix you'll be working with. So Set 3 here has 82 levels: pretty good content-wise.

...Also, there appears to be something hidden within the final world as there's an obvious blank spot where the "Next Set" link normally goes. I don't know whether it's another world, some grand finale set of levels or just the credits; guess I'll find out eventually.

From the visuals to the audio to the 100% mouse-controlled UI, Strata is very reminiscent of a Cipher Prime game. If you liked any of those, you'll probably enjoy this. But just in case you're not sure, there's an in-browser demo.

Two complaints that I will probably be dropping a comment on the game's page about:
1.) It would be nice if you could scroll the mouse wheel and/or use the arrow keys to switch between active ribbons. I found myself doing the former instinctively, actually...
2.) This game seems like it would be impossible for colorblind individuals. A "colorblind" mode that adds patterns to the ribbons and color squares would fix that.

I might have some more criticism of the game once I progress further through it, but for now that is all. Further comments here. Be sure to give it a thumbs-up on GL if you're into it.

How do I download Outer Wilds? I go to the site and only see a Media page, an About page, and a Team page.

Also on Desura, is there a way to favorite games or have a Wishlist like on Steam? I can't seem to find one.

And I'm really like Desura. Definitely catered to smaller indies more than Steam (case in point, that a lot of Greenlight games are available on Desura) and games like Unepic have demos on Desura while they don't on Steam

And finally, I'm probably going to preorder Inverto. Do Desura games work like Steam (DRM, tied to your account)?

Tak3n

Banned
How do I download Outer Wilds? I go to the site and only see a Media page, an About page, and a Team page.

Also on Desura, is there a way to favorite games or have a Wishlist like on Steam? I can't seem to find one.

And I'm really like Desura. Definitely catered to smaller indies more than Steam (case in point, that a lot of Greenlight games are available on Desura) and games like Unepic have demos on Desura while they don't on Steam

And finally, I'm probably going to preorder Inverto. Do Desura games work like Steam (DRM, tied to your account)?

With Desura you can either download the standalone or play through Desura, if you go to www.desura.com/collection (while you are logged in)

you will see the game then play- download-- keys

I always just download it

With Desura you can either download the standalone or play through Desura, if you go to www.desura.com/collection (while you are logged in)

you will see the game then play- download-- keys

I always just download it
So the standalone works like any other regular download? Like could I save it to a USB or something like that?

Also what about favorites/a Wishlist on Desura?

klinkcow

Neo Member

Outer Wilds - http://alexbeachum.com/archives/258

Tak3n

Banned
So the standalone works like any other regular download? Like could I save it to a USB or something like that?

Also what about favorites/a Wishlist on Desura?

as far as I can tell it is, it comes with it own MSI package, and I can play it without Desura running, like GOG's version.

I have never seen a wishlist etc on there, I like Desura but it does not have steams intergration....

also some of the reviews are very suspect, on a game called guns and robots I thought it looked good but it was a awful pay to win game....

Yet all the reviews say 10, or 9's and those people have never reviewed any other game...

and not one of them mentioned the pay2win...

Also I noticed your post about Unepic in the main steam thread.... the game is actually finished, they are just doing the MP part now, I am not convinced it is needed, but if you want the SP go for it....

I got all the way to the last level and rage quit :(

Thank you.

as far as I can tell it is, it comes with it own MSI package, and I can play it without Desura running, like GOG's version.

I have never seen a wishlist etc on there, I like Desura but it does not have steams intergration....

also some of the reviews are very suspect, on a game called guns and robots I thought it looked good but it was a awful pay to win game....

Yet all the reviews say 10, or 9's and those people have never reviewed any other game...

and not one of them mentioned the pay2win...

Also I noticed your post about Unepic in the main steam thread.... the game is actually finished, they are just doing the MP part now, I am not convinced it is needed, but if you want the SP go for it....

I got all the way to the last level and rage quit :(
Well now the question is Unepic on Desura or Steam. But I won't be buying it anytime soon

But I am going to preorder Inverto today. Freeware alpha was great and I can run it on highest settings so that's a plus. Only hesitation is whether we get Steam keys for preordering if it gets Greenlit

Tak3n

Banned
Thank you.

Well now the question is Unepic on Desura or Steam. But I won't be buying it anytime soon

But I am going to preorder Inverto today. Freeware alpha was great and I can run it on highest settings so that's a plus. Only hesitation is whether we get Steam keys for preordering if it gets Greenlit

I think I spoke about Unepic last month, and there confusing set up, but in a nutshell if you intend to play MP, you need to buy it from his site, as you can spend credits you earn on that version...

But not the steam version.....

That inverto looks similar to Magrunner

I always message in the main game page on Desura about steam keys as some game devs will say yes, some say only if you buy direct from their site....

so worth asking, you can also PM them

I think I spoke about Unepic last month, and there confusing set up, but in a nutshell if you intend to play MP, you need to buy it from his site, as you can spend credits you earn on that version...

But not the steam version.....

That inverto looks similar to Magrunner

I always message in the main game page on Desura about steam keys as some game devs will say yes, some say only if you buy direct from their site....

so worth asking, you can also PM them
Yeah I'll leave a message in a minute. Right now the only payment option on the site is a Desura link but I'll make sure.

And yup, Inverto is a gravity flipping game. If I could actually run Magrunner, I'd be getting that. But Inverto is fun. I'd recommend the freeware version

Toma

I was dreaming that I needed to prepare two Indie threads with the same amount of content like the other threads. *shudder*

Toma

CRszFvh.png

That idea came up during a discussion on feedback in this thread and its an awesome idea that hopefully gets picked up by you guys. A problem even this thread seems to show, is that people still likely avoid the very unknown titles that might not have all that great looking production values. The idea someone came up with was dedicating a day to playing any of the games from the past threads that you havent played yet and post your impressions about it, be it good or bad. That way we wont forget the games from the past threads completely and it allows us to check on some other games :)

Here are the past thread links:
I recommend checking for the games in the OP rankings of the april, may, june and july threads and checking out a game high up on the ranking that you didnt get to yet, since its likely that those are among the better ones anyway.

Tak3n

Banned
Way Back Wednesday Impression of Magrunner

So I had chance to play this the other day, and I have been left with nothing but dissapointment...

it might be my own fault entirely, but when I looked at the screenshots, I was expecting more...

I have read that the further the game goes on it gets better, but I lost interest after a couple of hours, as the rooms were essentially the same just harder, and the room I finally gave up on pissed me off so much I had to youtube it, to discover it was simply a case of noticing the cube you picked up left a gap for you to fall through...

A lot of people think highly of it, and when I first started playing I was fairly impressed, but the tedium of "same room different puzzles" hit me very quickly....

I think the game has died out now as well, with only 7 players on average playing last month on steam... I notice it is on sale at present as well, but at £10 it is still overpriced... needs to be £5 at most IMO

one to consign to the history books for me

Toma

Way Back Wednesday Impression of Magrunner

So I had chance to play this the other day, and I have been left with nothing but dissapointment...

it might be my own fault entirely, but when I looked at the screenshots, I was expecting more...

I have read that the further the game goes on it gets better, but I lost interest after a couple of hours, as the rooms were essentially the same just harder, and the room I finally gave up on pissed me off so much I had to youtube it, to discover it was simply a case of noticing the cube you picked up left a gap for you to fall through...

A lot of people think highly of it, and when I first started playing I was fairly impressed, but the tedium of "same room different puzzles" hit me very quickly....

I think the game has died out now as well, with only 7 players on average playing last month on steam... I notice it is on sale at present as well, but at £10 it is still overpriced... needs to be £5 at most IMO

one to consign to the history books for me

Oh, unfortunate you didnt like it. Curious though, what is your opinion of the Portal games, the first one in particular since it also has seemingly the same issues that you described.

Tak3n

Banned
Oh, unfortunate you didnt like it. Curious though, what is your opinion of the Portal games, the first one in particular since it also has seemingly the same issues that you described.

I should of been clearer, in why I think it is my fault, as I was not paticularily that taken with the portal games, but when I saw the SS with monsters et al, I presumed (wrongly) that while it had portal elements, they were not so prolific that it was almost portal 3...

Turns out I should of done my research...

I got it on a whim, thinking I would be fighting monsters et al, as well as some puzzle elements...

My fault

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Things kind of exploded at the office this morning when we found out TotalBiscuit had been tweeting about Unholy Heights! With him possibly doing a video of the game soon, this could really be huge for Petit Depotto and us!

But really, the real big news is that the preorder page and DEMO for Unholy Heights is up! It's $3.99, and if you preorder, you get a music sampler of 3 songs from the soundtrack.

The best part? Your demo save can be placed into the main game, and you can continue playing without starting over :D

http://www.playism-games.com/games/unholyheightspreorder/

Budokai and myself worked our butts off to localize this. Please at least check it out. :D

Doorways
Site | Greenlight | Trailer

Doorways is a first person survival horror game, with a complex story and a deep atmosphere.

Each level of the game will challenge you with dynamic gameplay and distinct visuals and sounds.

If you like the horror genre, you are in for a treat.
Prepare to immerse yourself in augmenting pyschological terror and brace for jump-scares.

If you are into puzzle-ridden adventures, you're definitely going to like Doorways challenges: from simple mind puzzles to timed and agility demanding situations, each level or scene in the game presents to you a different gameplay obstacle to overcome.

And if you are a hardcore "unlocker", this game has several secret places, collectible artifacts and hidden notes that engross your understanding of the back story and grant achievements for you to hunt!

doorways_wallpaper_01.jpg

637x358.resizedimage

I'm not sure how I missed out on this! Looks great.

Tak3n

Banned
Things kind of exploded at the office this morning when we found out TotalBiscuit had been tweeting about Unholy Heights! With him possibly doing a video of the game soon, this could really be huge for Petit Depotto and us!

But really, the real big news is that the preorder page and DEMO for Unholy Heights is up! It's $3.99, and if you preorder, you get a music sampler of 3 songs from the soundtrack.

The best part? Your demo save can be placed into the main game, and you can continue playing without starting over :D

Budokai and myself worked our butts off to localize this. Please at least check it out. :D

For the love of god, put options more options and even more options in it, before TB does his video....

Infact just add options into his review copy......

Trust me... he spends so fucking long bitching about options!!

For the love of god, put options more options and even more options in it, before TB does his video....

Infact just add options into his review copy......

Trust me... he spends so fucking long bitching about options!!

No joke, he spends literally 15 minutes talking about them. He even has to put up a time stamp on when he stops faffing around.

Toma

Alright, you got me! Finally signed up for your website to dl the demo. Btw, is there a complete list of games you guys worked on with a description of what you exactly did for that game?

And when was the exact release date? 16th?

Toma

Also, where is my MetaVendetta episode, I need something to listen to while working :p

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Alright, you got me! Finally signed up for your website to dl the demo. Btw, is there a complete list of games you guys worked on with a description of what you exactly did for that game?

And when was the exact release date? 16th?

Exact date is 8/16, yep!

We don't have a list of what exactly we worked on, but I suppose we could put one together once the year is out (got a lot of stuff in the pipeline that I would want to include on that list)

In the case of Unholy Heights, I wrote the initial English script from the translation we were given, and Budokai and myself tested and refined it from there.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Yeah, this sucks. I've basically been using the gamewatch list as my wishlist.

While I'm complaining about Desura, they need to make key redemption far more up-front. At first I assumed you'd be able to redeem keys via the website since games are available as DRM-free downloads. Used the search tool: nothing. Checked the Games tab: nothing. Nothing in account management, the cart, couldn't even find an FAQ/primer on the basic functions of Desura and its associated website for non-developers.

So then I figured I'd have to get the client just to register my purchases, even if I could download and play them without it. Surprise; the client is basically just the website with a Play tab added. No obvious solution.

In the end I found some link on a developer or bundle website to the Gifts page, and after noting the URL thought "There has to be some way to get to that normally." Sure enough, it's way, waaaaaay down at the bottom, nestled among fifteen other links to pages that most users don't care about or that are more prominently accessible elsewhere. Ugh.

Oh, nice. I checked Playism earlier for this and since I couldn't find a price or a preorder page, my assumption that it would be $10 or $15 (and thus off my radar for a long while) went uncorrected.

Unepic (demo)
So happy I decided to give Unepic a try. Don't know why I had been dismissing it. Maybe the Steam images just didnt seem appealing. But I tried the demo on Desura and it is damn good. Great humor and meta-storyline. The animations are excellent, for example when you select a healing potion, your character actually stops, unscrews the top, and chugs the potion down. The lighting and torch mechanic adds a touch of survival horror to the game. I do wish the camera could be closer and that there was an option to hide the information on the bottom half of the screen. But overall the demo was incredibly fun and polished

Qasir (demo)
Now this is a game that had intrigued me when I first saw it on RPS but I never got around to trying it till now. Love the art style and mystic story, almost has a noir/crime fiction atmosphere. You'd think that being invisible would make stealth a breeze but actually you have to be wary of new threats like blood stains, water, pigment traps. I did feel that the gameplay was a bit simplistic (move, sneak, hit) but it was the demo so maybe the concept and controls are explored further in the full game

Toma

Exact date is 8/16, yep!

We don't have a list of what exactly we worked on, but I suppose we could put one together once the year is out (got a lot of stuff in the pipeline that I would want to include on that list)

In the case of Unholy Heights, I wrote the initial English script from the translation we were given, and Budokai and myself tested and refined it from there.

That would be hugely appreciated :)

Oh and I played the demo for about one hour. It definitely shows the charme of the game. I wont be able to describe it better than you do, so I wont try, but I still want to get some impressions out.

The game seems a bit simple, considering you dont actually do much, other than keeping the monsters content and selecting the battle formation of your tenants. I see that the game has some deeper elements going for it, like the wife/husband bonusses, items that apparently influence some aspects (like more rain) and monsters with different affinities. Its all pretty charming, but the demo seems a bit too hands off, since there isnt much you can do/strategize with the limited amount of tenants. I still definitely like it however and will buy the game once it releases :)

Other than it being a bit too simple in the demo, there are 2 other things I am slightly missing:

1. The game should be able to continue running in the background. Considering you cant have it grind endlessly because you have random adventurers looting you, it would be nice to have it run in the background for a bit, hear an adventurer approaching and then switch to the game.

2. I guess its not up for you to tell the devs some improvement ideas, but a "perma death" mode that saves automatically after each day would be cool, since it feels a bit cheap to just save before fights and retry them, which basically means you rarely have to deal with losses.

Anyway, incredibly charming game, but I feel that the demo isnt quite representative of the tactical depth later on. I hope I am right with that :p

Edit: Game related question. When a child grows up to be stronger than the parents, should I expel the parents so that the child gets another wife and makes even stronger kids? Is that how it works?

thetrin

That would be hugely appreciated :)

Oh and I played the demo for about one hour. It definitely shows the charme of the game. I wont be able to describe it better than you do, so I wont try, but I still want to get some impressions out.

The game seems a bit simple, considering you dont actually do much, other than keeping the monsters content and selecting the battle formation of your tenants. I see that the game has some deeper elements going for it, like the wife/husband bonusses, items that apparently influence some aspects (like more rain) and monsters with different affinities. Its all pretty charming, but the demo seems a bit too hands off, since there isnt much you can do/strategize with the limited amount of tenants. I still definitely like it however and will buy the game once it releases :)

Other than it being a bit too simple in the demo, there are 2 other things I am slightly missing:

1. The game should be able to continue running in the background. Considering you cant have it grind endlessly because you have random adventurers looting you, it would be nice to have it run in the background for a bit, hear an adventurer approaching and then switch to the game.

2. I guess its not up for you to tell the devs some improvement ideas, but a "perma death" mode that saves automatically after each day would be cool, since it feels a bit cheap to just save before fights and retry them, which basically means you rarely have to deal with losses.

Anyway, incredibly charming game, but I feel that the demo isnt quite representative of the tactical depth later on. I hope I am right with that :p

It's hands off at first, but much of the hands on strategy comes from juggling your tenants from attack to retreat and back to attack to spread the damage around. Later quests pretty much require that.

You're right, though. The demo isn't entirely indicative of how it gets after your first expansion, especially as you start to get more rooms added to your building, and more types of monsters living there.

Edit: Game related question. When a child grows up to be stronger than the parents, should I expel the parents so that the child gets another wife and makes even stronger kids? Is that how it works?

You're the devil. Of course! Put those no-good parents out on the street!

Also, here's a taste of what people are in store for:

BRCcZMxCQAU7Yco.jpg:large

Wow, if it wasn't for the ease of Steam Wallet cards, I think I'd favor Desura over Steam. So I finally got Paranautical Activity. I love the fact that you get the option to download the game (so now I can just add it to Steam, with all my other games) and get a key for the game.

Toma

My bestest tenant friend:

Good attack, good defense, is employed, has a ranged attack, pays everything I ask him to pay and is satisfied with just a few furniture items.

<3

Someone go make him a child! He deserves it!

Not sure if this game's been mentioned already:

The Stomping Land
Site | Trailer
(Kickstarter already funding, but here's link for more info)

The Stomping Land is a multiplayer survival game about dinosaurs. Create traps, salvage resources, form tribes.

In order to survive, your primary need is simply to eat dinosaur meat. There are plenty of small dinosaurs on the island for you to hunt, but larger carnivores are nearly impossible to kill and are effective at preventing you from obtaining your food.

At the very start, your hunter is weak and ineffective. By salvaging resources from the world, you will have access to tools and abilities that make you a competent hunter. These tools, when used in combination, will counter these larger carnivores or help you discover other ways of obtaining food.

The more meat that is being stored by players, the fewer huntable dinosaurs will be present on the map. This will cause other tribes to seek down and destroy your campsites. Becoming the dominant tribe on the island is the ultimate goal.

Stomp1.png

53084169e1dc84a06695a098afd78ba1_large.jpg

Toma

What are the chances that this topic will include indies on other platforms at some point?

Well, we do talk about other games when someone feels like mentioning them in here. I probably wont include them in the OP however, since creating the current OP layout takes me about 15 hours and adding more platforms means more work and 3 posts barely contains all the stuff for PC Indies. Its also harder to build a community around different platforms in a single forum thread.

Mentioning other awesome iOS, Vita/whatever games in here and telling others why they should buy it is definitely allowed and wished for however.

Well, we do talk about other games when someone feels like mentioning them in here. I probably wont include them in the OP however, since creating the current OP layout takes me about 15 hours and adding more platforms means more work and 3 posts barely contains all the stuff for PC Indies. Its also harder to build a community around different platforms in a single forum thread.

Mentioning other awesome iOS, Vita/whatever games in here and telling others why they should buy it is definitely allowed and wished for however.
Oh, really? I didn't know this

So if anyone's interested, here's the link to the IOS Hidden Gems thread, all those under the radar overlooked IOS games

And also most indie games on consoles are also on PC

Toma

Oh, really? I didn't know this

So if anyone's interested, here's the link to the IOS Hidden Gems thread, all those under the radar overlooked IOS games

And also most indie games on consoles are also on PC

Sure, thats perfectly fine. :) I love hearing about awesome indies on every platform, but the OP will stay PC mainly out of time constraints and necessity. We also have mobile games in the screenshot saturday posts btw ;)

Not sure if this game's been mentioned already:

The Stomping Land
Site | Trailer
(Kickstarter already funding, but here's link for more info)

OH MY GOD

We hardly get any dinosaur games as it is. Glad it was overfunded, but a question since it didn't meet the artist stretch goal.

• $75k : Part-time designers who will help progress the game's content.
  • $175k : Dedicated artists for creating an immersive gameworld. These guys will amp up the game world with better visuals, as well as ensure technically optimized content.

Does it cost $100K alone just for artists? I'm guessing yes if they're being paid for a year or more.

So here's my dilemma: I have 8.02 left on my Visa gift card. I want to get Inverto today, because it's only 3.99. But that would leave me with about $4 left, meaning I wouldn't be able to get any Wallet funds on Steam because the minimum amount is $5. And I had wanted at least enough on Steam for a $9.99 game

I have a bunch of cards on the market, which is if they all get sold eventually, would leave with me with about $12 on Steam. But who knows if those cards will even sell

I can't decide what to do

klinkcow

Neo Member
So here's my dilemma: I have 8.02 left on my Visa gift card. I want to get Inverto today, because it's only 3.99. But that would leave me with about $4 left, meaning I wouldn't be able to get any Wallet funds on Steam because the minimum amount is $5. And I had wanted at least enough on Steam for a $9.99 game

I have a bunch of cards on the market, which is if they all get sold eventually, would leave with me with about $12 on Steam. But who knows if those cards will even sell

just drop your cards below market price...enough to get you 9.99!

you'll sell em much faster

Tak3n

Banned

Leave Inverto, as it is only Alpha, so no rush

Top Bottom