• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [August] Now Voting - Post 937!

I heard Gone Home will be released this month. So excited!

Any way, I was wondering what the minimum requirements were for this game. Any body have a lead?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
NotGames Fest lineup announced: Shelter, The Plan, Noby Noby Boy, Kyoto, Kometen, Kachina, Feed the head, Bokida and abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz.

Won't be there but am really looking forward to Shelter, myself.

I'll be there if everything goes as planned currently. Seems like Kachina and Shelter are the only in progress games I should check out because the others are already available (or I already played).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Ghost Song looks killer. Aesthetically, it takes a lot from Super Metroid, but in the best way (don't take that as an accusation of plagiarism)

Oh wow, Roger Hicks (AKA Rekcahdam) is part of the Ghost Song project?

That guy is awesome and extremely talented. Really hope that they make their goal!

Cth

Played a few games yesterday with my 6 year old daughter..

Against the Wall - Free Alpha (PC)

LzkQdxg.jpg

http://www.againstthewallgame.com/play/

We both wanted to like this one, but it was difficult to use the keyboard controls (and the joypad settings didn't quite work as expected -- to be fair it may have been the perspective/invert axis settings but by that point she was already wanting to go back to an earlier game)

Anyways, loved the concept. It's probably better played with the keyboard to emulate the idea of rock climbing -- carefully choosing your climb point, etc.

Ergon / Logos - Free (PC, Mac)

ucnSqIq.jpg

http://www.molleindustria.org/ergon_logos/ergon_logos.html

Sometimes it's the simplest concepts that work the best.. this one is ingenious in its approach of telling an interactive story. Given the popularity of games like Super Hexagon, how far off are those type games with this concept? Anyways, branching paths in a Choose Your Own Adventure style made it a fun little concept.

Of course, my daughter couldn't keep up with the speed so I didn't get much play time with this one yet.

Experiment12 - Free (PC)

1VMZzyE.png

Up to Chapter 3 and I'm.. enjoying it. Not quite sure what to make of it quite yet, but..

Some nostalgia in Chapter 1.. sympathy and empathy for migraine sufferers in Chapter 2..

MTB Freeride - Free (PC)

screen9.jpg

Spent most of our time playing this one. Didn't care about getting to the bottom yet, as we were having too much fun watching replays.

Got her to try Kairo for a while then Pid and Rock of Ages before she wanted to go back to playing Rogue Legacy.

Huh, thought Paranautical Activity had already been featured by Toma in the another OP. It wasn't, so here's some info for next month

Paranautical Activity
Desura | Kickstarter | Greenlight |Trailer

Paranautical Activity takes the awesome old school FPS action from games like Doom and Quake, and smashes it together with the procedural generation, difficulty, and permadeath of modern "roguelike-likes" like Spelunky and Binding of Isaac. You run around in randomly generated levels blasting monsters with your weapon of choice, picking up loot, and getting powerups that can do anything from increasing the damage you can do, to giving you the ability to flip gravity or even come back from the dead.

FyVPF1.jpg

vlc_2013-02-05_20-16-59-40.png

Any GAF impressions? I might get it on Desura tonight or tomorrow

Any GAF impressions? I might get it on Desura tonight or tomorrow

I didn't really like it. The game focuses on fewer, stronger and more bullet spongy enemies which just means every encounter doesn't feel dynamic and rapid, it is you just circle strafing around the same monster for 5-10 seconds while they vainly try to shoot where you once were. The game also features really tiny sometimes cluttered rooms given how fast you can move and the few times it throw more then 3 enemies at you, ends up being really claustrophobic and not being able to dodge an attack because you physically have run out of room happens just too often. It's in its alpha so all this can be improved upon but in it's current state I can't recommend it.

Tak3n

Banned
No, $9.99. I'm in the US, if that matters

Where is it $5.99 then, as it says on the desura page this

"It's available now on Desura for $5.99. Buying the beta get's you all future updates for the game, as well as the full game when it comes out"

Where is it $5.99 then, as it says on the desura page this

"It's available now on Desura for $5.99. Buying the beta get's you all future updates for the game, as well as the full game when it comes out"
I'm thinking that was a launch price and they never got around to fixing the summary

Tak3n

Banned
Megabyte Punch

Just had about 3 hours with the game, and here are some thoughts...

The game is very polished, you can see they have spent a lot of time on it, it runs perfectly fine, you can go to AA x8..

Gameplay

The first hour you spend smiling at the joy of it, but then by level 3, you do start to notice that apart from the change in colour of the background, and the tougher enemies, the gameplay is the same as level one...

I dont necessary think this is a bad point as a lot of games are the same, the difficulty certainly ramps up in level 3 as well..

you are constantly on the look out for new and better gear which is nice as well, but I found it is the enviroment that killed me most (wont spoil with how)

you only get 3 lives per level then it is all start again, which is old school, and can be annoying as the levels are large

Local MP

Can be awfully confusing who is hitting what etc, but I notice there is a paint shop, so this should help with the "chaos" that can go on in a level.

Initial feelings

I like it, is this a lose 6 hour game, I dont think so.... but because you can not continue from checkpoints when you quit, you need a good hour to complete the levels, or you need to do it all again...

is it fun, most definately... and I highly recommend you try the demo, and for £7, it is a bit if a steal

I was very dissapointed that those of us who pre-ordered it were punished by them doing a 20% discount on release day.

EDIT

The Dev just contacted me to apologise for the pre-order mess up and gave me the special edition for free :)

many thx to the dev...excellent customer service

sqwarlock

Played Outer Wilds for about 90 minutes tonight, and I'm looking forward to the full release for sure.

It takes a bit to get used to the controls when piloting your ship, and I got stuck a few times when trying a more daring landing maneuver. Otherwise the game offers a very pleasant, yet slightly unsettling, atmosphere.

And just wait until you experience your first supernova.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Totally OT, but you really notice some things when you dont have them. I am without headphones for 3 weeks now because they were in repair. They finally said they are unreparable and I bought new ones, should be arriving this week. I WANT THEM. Stupid crappy laptop speakers :(

Toma

Megabyte Punch

Just had about 3 hours with the game, and here are some thoughts...

The game is very polished, you can see they have spent a lot of time on it, it runs perfectly fine, you can go to AA x8..

Gameplay

The first hour you spend smiling at the joy of it, but then by level 3, you do start to notice that apart from the change in colour of the background, and the tougher enemies, the gameplay is the same as level one...

I dont necessary think this is a bad point as a lot of games are the same, the difficulty certainly ramps up in level 3 as well..

you are constantly on the look out for new and better gear which is nice as well, but I found it is the enviroment that killed me most (wont spoil with how)

you only get 3 lives per level then it is all start again, which is old school, and can be annoying as the levels are large

Local MP

Can be awfully confusing who is hitting what etc, but I notice there is a paint shop, so this should help with the "chaos" that can go on in a level.

Initial feelings

I like it, is this a lose 6 hour game, I dont think so.... but because you can not continue from checkpoints when you quit, you need a good hour to complete the levels, or you need to do it all again...

is it fun, most definately... and I highly recommend you try the demo, and for £7, it is a bit if a steal

I was very dissapointed that those of us who pre-ordered it were punished by them doing a 20% discount on release day.

EDIT

The Dev just contacted me to apologise for the pre-order mess up and gave me the special edition for free :)

many thx to the dev...excellent customer service

Just noticed the price, and yeeeah. This wont sell well. I'll give it another try though when he releases the updated demo.

CzarTim

New features?

- Trooper Deploy screen is in the game.
- Go Codes can now be combined with actions: detonate doors on GoCode, throw grenades on GoGode etc.
- New maps, including the first House Call map.
- Added ambiental sounds to maps.
- Persistent orientation waypoint/side-stepping: Ctrl+RClick drag on a trooper or on a waypoint and he will keep looking in that direction until ordered otherwise.
- Friendly AI: troopers will now investigate the direction they are attack from.
- Enemy AI improvements: new patrol/investigation strategies.
- Added graphical representation for the flashbang grenade's effect falloff.
- Modified grenade physics (explosion time will be adjusted dynamically depending on distance to target). A minimum explosion time still remains.
- Current trooper's path is now highlighted in relation to the others.
- When drawing a path, a potential action waypoint will be shown on the objects you can interact with, letting you know the position from which you can interact with them.
- Easier to tweak paths: just naturally click and drag on the path to adjust from that point.
- GoCodes can be triggered with 1/2/3 keys as well as the a/b/c keys.
- Trackpad-friendly controls: the SHIFT key is converted to right-click (feedback is appreciated)
- New HUD + many other graphical improvements.
- Door spy camera can now be moved freely while in paused mode (based on communities' voting).
- The detailed statistics for a completed map are now saved and displayed when clicking on the stars button.

New features?
Here's the full list

But the most important are new maps, troop deploy screen, enhanced Go codes, improved AI

Game is even more awesome. The ability to side steel/move while aiming in certain direction is so useful.

Also the game is #1 on the Greenlight list so it will most likely be Greenlit in the next batch

Door Kickers alpha 4 is out. I really like this game, can't wait for a full release.
That's the game that was #1 on Greenlight after the last batch was approved, wasn't it? I'd never heard of it until then. Doesn't really look like my kind of game, but glad to hear of their success.

(EDIT: Somehow, I missed the last sentence of the post two posts above me. It's not like it wasn't there when I posted this, either. Derp.)

Twinduct

Here's the full list

But the most important are new maps, troop deploy screen, enhanced Go codes, improved AI

Game is even more awesome. The ability to side steel/move while aiming in certain direction is so useful.

Also the game is #1 on the Greenlight list so it will most likely be Greenlit in the next batch

I've been having a daily cycle of loading their pre-order page and staring at it .. debating if I I jump in now or later.

This has been a thing for quite a few weeks now .... kinda burned out on alpha games tbh so would rather wait for a closer final build.

Fuck it, gonna wait for steam release.

Toma

I've been having a daily cycle of loading their pre-order page and staring at it .. debating if I I jump in now or later.

This has been a thing for quite a few weeks now .... kinda burned out on alpha games tbh so would rather wait for a closer final build.

Yeah, I recommend that too. They add quite significant stuff currently, and playing the first version wasnt all that engaging.

Vancha

Played Outer Wilds for about 90 minutes tonight, and I'm looking forward to the full release for sure.

It takes a bit to get used to the controls when piloting your ship, and I got stuck a few times when trying a more daring landing maneuver. Otherwise the game offers a very pleasant, yet slightly unsettling, atmosphere.

And just wait until you experience your first supernova.

Piloting sure is something to get used to. Did you go to all the planets? Like the one with the huge piranha like creatures?

Did you try the demo? Has a nice amount of content

Twinduct

Yeah, I recommend that too. They add quite significant stuff currently, and playing the first version wasnt all that engaging.

Yeah. Also gonna start living with the 'Don't buy unless it's being played right away' motto.

Did you try the demo? Has a nice amount of content

Yep :/
Was like a smack sample ... Now I'm hooked but don't want to pay the dough right now.

So I tried the Xenominer demo, nicely atmospheric but the world seemed barren. Any other procedural voxel-based games that try to do something different, on Steam, Desura, etc? I know of Patterns and Cube World.

Tak3n

Banned
So I tried the Xenominer demo, nicely atmospheric but the world seemed barren. Any other procedural voxel-based games that do try to do something different, on Steam, Desura, etc? I know of Patterns and Cube World.

I bought it for £3.99, seems good, if you go to their official website they have a load of ideas...

it seems the game at the moment is about building amazing structures and setting up the planet to mine... the more you mine the more you can make, if that makes sense

When MP hits it will get a 100% better I think, if you like it might be worth dropping the £3.99, just so you avoid the 50% increase later on

Toma

Enjoyed Aztaka for about 11 hours very much, then I am stuck in the boss fight. No clue whether I can actually beat the game now. Asked in the Steam community, hopefully someone else has an idea.

Toma

Yes it is. Have on it on my iPad

Anyway, IGN posted its Spelunky PC review (9/10)
A roguelike platformer for the "Dark Souls obsessed"? Count me in!

Anyone know how much it'll cost?

15$ probably if its the same as the XBLA one, which is a bit over the impulse buy territory.

I was watching the Starmade trailers, reading the info on the site, and still unsure about something. Is it only ship gameplay or can you get out and explore a la Minecraft?

Cause what's the point of docking, randomly generated planet surfaces seen in the trailers, station interiors, and how does infiltrating enemy ships work if you're confined to your ship?

Also any single player (already or planned)?

Toma

I was watching the Starmade trailers, reading the info on the site, and still unsure about something. Is it only ship gameplay or can you get out and explore a la Minecraft?

Cause what's the point of docking, randomly generated planet surfaces seen in the trailers, station interiors, and how does infiltrating enemy ships work if you're confined to your ship?

Also any single player (already or planned)?

Can anyone actually start it? Just tried it and I get crashes after it loaded the server data.

Top Bottom