• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [August] Now Voting - Post 937!

I shed tears for BasketBelle and The Sea Will Claim Everything every time I see them not a list of games Greenlit.

Yeah, I'm very happy about that! Can't believe it had to go through Greenlight but it's good to finally see it on Steam after almost three years, haha.

BasketBelle is great, but then I made the dead thread for it :p

Tangiers will get there on Steam, you'll see.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
BasketBelle is great, but then I made the dead thread for it :p

Tangiers will get there on Steam, you'll see.

Anyone remember in which bundle The Sea will claim everything was? I bought it in a bundle but cant remember which one.

Twinduct

Maybe I will finally learn what does Die Antwoord mean.

Well direct translation would be 'The Answer'. Although their idea is that they're the answer of the future of a culture that's been asking where they belong.

Specifically the younger Afrikaans generation that doesn't want to be grouped with 'native' roots based on their culture or race.

So 'Zef' (which actually means dodgy) was used to explain this idea.

long story short, they cashed in on a weird fad but at the same time actually gave some sense of identity to large group of young adults.

edit: I should add that this is just an opinion of them, rather than a factual MO

Hofmann

Well direct translation would be 'The Answer'. Although their idea is that they're the answer of the future of a culture that's been asking where they belong.

Specifically the younger Afrikaans generation that doesn't want to be grouped with 'native' roots based on their culture or race.

So 'Zef' (which actually means dodgy) was used to explain this idea.

long story short, they cashed in on a weird fad but at the same time actually gave some sense of identity to large group of young adults.

edit: I should add that this is just an opinion of them, rather than a factual MO

Don't like their music that much, but I have to admit that those early videos are quite funny. Thanks for the thorough answer;D

You meanie you. Took me a while to check my Indie Gala bundles.

Found it now in the Royale though, thanks :)

Sorry, I thought it's the same thing for a moment, but I changed it almost instantly. My bad:D

Going through the Broforce discussions on Steam...

Hellboy, Indiana Jones, Conan are being worked on! Blade's in the game! Broforce is amazing! I think this was the best impulse buy I've ever done in my short time as a PC gamer

Where Is My Heart?, a 2D puzzle platformer what came out in 2011 on PSN, is finally making its way to Windows and Mac next month. It's developed by Die Gute Fabrik (Sportsfriends/Johann Sebastian Joust). This was one of my favorite games of 2011.

http://indiegames.com/2013/08/where_is_my_heart_die_gute_fab.html

Taken from the official site (http://gutefabrik.com/index.html):

SOURCE OF INSPIRATION

Where is my Heart? is loosely based on Bernie Schulenburg's experience of a sunday hike, which he went on with his mom and his dad. They got lost in a forest and confronted with this problem they came to face each other's negative personality traits.

Bernie's father showed his anxiety and this made him switch to 'bossy mode'. Bernie's mom responded to this as she always did: She turned to lamenting about her life and existence as she had been doing for the 25 past years of her partnership. Bernie on his side fell into his well known patterns of regret, remorse and disconnectedness. Here there were three hurt children-at-heart, not understanding nor able to break out of their predicament.

This game is Bernie's clumsy attempt to come to an understanding with himself and his parents as a family.

rybrad

I dont think I can resist the preorder of their newest game.. *goes off to buy*
Looking forward to your impressions after you play it. I have been following the game since they announced it and am hoping it is as good as it looks!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Looking forward to your impressions after you play it. I have been following the game since they announced it and am hoping it is as good as it looks!

No pre-release Beta apparently, but since I will now be informed when it actually releases, I will definitely post some impressions then.

Okay, for my blog, I'm writing a post on Broforce. Should I make it a Watchlist post or Spotlight? Usually I've done a Watchlist for games like Malebolgia and Teslagrad, not released, maybe have a demo and Spotlights for released games.or paid alphas like The Tank Game and Inverto.

But the Broforce free download is essentially a fully featured game, not a simple demo.

Toma

Demo for Glitchventure Deios is live.

EDIT: Rehosted to an alternate file host. Don't want us nuking the poor dude's dropbox.

Did you rehost it yourself? Because I just noticed that IndieStatik linked your rehost.

r3n4ud

I realize now that One Foul Note brought it up last night, but I just saw Kevin Levine tweet about Ironclad Tactics. It was my first time reading about it, so I watched the trailer and now I really want to play it!

I never knew I wanted a card-based steampunk civil war strategy game until now. Sadly, I've never played Spacechem, but Toma's endless praise for it gives me confidence in my excitement for this new game by the same team.
OMG :O

What the hell did I just watch lol. It's simply amazing how much I enjoy/will enjoy indies. Just picked up The Extra! Extra! bundle :)

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Did you rehost it yourself? Because I just noticed that IndieStatik linked your rehost.

I did upload it to zippyshare, yes. Did they link to his thread on TIGsource as well at least? I'd like to make sure he gets his due traffic.

EDIT: Found the post. It's not going to hurt anything of mine to have it linked there since Zippyshare doesn't require an account to upload nor places limitations on uploads other than a 200MB size limit.

Toma

12 pages done, 28/8 games for the next thread:
image.png

I did upload it to zippyshare, yes. Did they link to his thread on TIGsource as well at least? I'd like to make sure he gets his due traffic.

Here is the Indiestatik link:
http://indiestatik.com/2013/08/10/deios/

They mentioned both dl links at least, but it still seems weird they'd link an external host not provided by the developer. Also, does that mean they read our very own little thread? :p

EDIT: Found the post. It's not going to hurt anything of mine to have it linked there since Zippyshare doesn't require an account to upload nor places limitations on uploads other than a 200MB size limit.

I mean I feel humbled that the guys from Indiestatik check this thread, but I wouldnt mind if they would mention if they get some links from here. Common courtesy towards the guys that did the work they are using (like a rehosted link). We are doing our part by linking Indiestatik posts too. I mean you basically help out the dev sharing the link and arent credited for it (which technically would also work the other way round if the dev actually wanted it to be removed and didnt know whom to contact).

Edit: Might be overreacting a bit, but not crediting work makes me grumpy.

Hofmann

They mentioned both dl links at least, but it still seems weird they'd link an external host not provided by the developer. Also, does that mean they read our very own little thread? :p

I think they do. They even used Glitchventure term, which I used to describe the game while doing SS.

Well, nice to meet you guys. Love your work.

Toma

I think they do. They even used Glitchventure term, which I used to describe the game while doing SS.

Well, nice to meet you guys. Love your work.

I definitely appreciate them as well, but yeah, feel free to credit the work some people do here sometimes guys.

Toma

There's also a demo if you don't want to pick it up :)

WOOT!

Awesome :) Unfortunately, by the looks of it.. next month is going to be way too expensive for the Indie thread. I'll pick AACactus up later this year.

Hofmann

So, here's my short work in progress list, as I will try to find something that I like enough to vote for by the end of the month.

• Ergon / Logos - What could be cooler than a Twine game that plays like a platformer.
  • Bokida - Gorgeous little building toy, with an exciting premise for a game.
  • Frequency Domain - I was always fascinated by the idea of synesthesia, so the interactive visualiser obviously gets its place here. I only wish it had more controls available directly on the controler, like that warp button, that would diversify the experience a bit.
  • Experiment12 - These games are a mixed bag, with some that I loved and others not so, but that's the charm of it, how it grows naturally one over another, almost like a collective video game jam in a pill.

I finished Shelter and it was a beautiful, but sad, experience. Out of all of the indie games that came out this month it's easily my favorite.

Thanks for the info, thought it's tomorrow.

Btw, does it support controler?

Unfortunately, it doesn't. Maybe with enough requests they'll add it in.

Also, it took me an hour and a half to finish it. I don't feel like I could have done much else to prolong it other than admiring the visuals but I can definitely see playing it numerous times.

Bummer. Is there any design reason not to include it, like it was with Swapper for example.

No, everything felt like it would have technically worked with a controller. But the camera is moved around with the mouse and sometimes you need to look around quickly to keep an eye on the babies so I guess a mouse is preferable for that.

So on XBIG, I decided to get BLEED and Weapon of Choice. Obviously BLEED is well known here, but have you guys heard of Weapon of Choice?

First off, it was developed by Nathan Fouts, who had worked at Insomniac Games and definitely took some of those Ratchet and Clank/Resistance influences with him. The highlight of WoC is the weaponry. Each character has their own unique weapon with its own unique secondary fire.

Xerxes Remington, for instance, lugs around a jet engine that he uses as a gun. Its primary fire mode acts more or less like a high-powered flamethrower, but its secondary mode cranks up the engine’s output, increasing its range but also launching Xerxes backwards if he shoots while jumping

Chantarelle Marmalade uses a gun that is more of a flailing quasi-chainsaw; Moses Longhorn unleashes robotic satellites that hover around and fight for him. Each character’s weapon is completely different from all the others, and comes with two distinct modes for different situations. All the characters also have the same back-up weapon, but it’s no mundane sidearm. An assault rifle on the surface, activating the secondary mode sends the gun out to roam around as directed on a sort of prehensile cable.

There's also other cool feature like a spider backpack that lets you cling to walls and ceilings and each character has their own unique double jump ability; for example, one character creates holographic decoy that allows the player to deal double damage.

Here's the trailer if you're interested

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Here is the Indiestatik link:
http://indiestatik.com/2013/08/10/deios/

I mean I feel humbled that the guys from Indiestatik check this thread, but I wouldnt mind if they would mention if they get some links from here. Common courtesy towards the guys that did the work they are using (like a rehosted link). We are doing our part by linking Indiestatik posts too. I mean you basically help out the dev sharing the link and arent credited for it (which technically would also work the other way round if the dev actually wanted it to be removed and didnt know whom to contact).

Edit: Might be overreacting a bit, but not crediting work makes me grumpy.

I totally see where you're coming from and if it were something I'd written being used (like Hoffman's Glitchventure term I shamelessly lifted) I'd want credit like nobody's business. I just don't think the mirror link would require such credit as all I did was just drag n drop to make it on account of not wanting to total the game maker's dropbox account. Though you do make a good point about making it easy for them to contact me to take the file down in the event that they wanted it gone. Perhaps worth directly contacting them about for the future.

Actually i'm totally lying. I'm fairly wounded here Indiestatik guys and the only way to repair our broken bond is for you to let me write for you.
just kidding, love you dudes but don't be afraid to say hey to us!

Voting!
  • Chester - Platformer with a twist
  • Elliot Quest - Mix of Zelda and Kid Icarus, has precise controls and good musics.
  • Ripple Dot Zero - Another good platformer with amazing music.
  • T.O.M.B - Cool idea to pass through a level with minimal actions, also it's pretty hard to do it.
  • Ergon/Logos - It's a nice experience like a text adventure but you need to be in the right mood to play it.
  • Time Squid - High score game based on golf and you control a alien squid with your mind. The description is a bit strange but the game is addictive, has a charming 8bit style.

Hororable mentions
  • Crypt Run - Roguelike game that looks like BoI and has a cool idea about you being in another plan when you're dead, but unfortunately it's not a game for my tastes.
  • Outer Wilds - Did run like crap on my crapbook, so I couldn't experiece it properly. :(
  • Countre Jour - Nice ideas but it didn't "click" for me.
  • Humans Must Answer - I tried to download the game several times but the download keeps being interrupted. (I'll try it again before the month ends)
  • Bokida - Has a nice concept but it didn't caugh my attention.
  • Aaron Steed's Ending - Its a Puzzle Roguelike game, it's fun and has some interesting puzzle but nothing more.
I think I was a bit grumpy this month. xD

Hofmann

How come you can't play Swapper with a controller? Does it need precise mouse pointer controls?

I believe it's possible, but yeah, the game needs precise controls, when you're placing your clones, so it could be quite tricky without a pointer.

Don't know if they've added controller support later on - played it at launch, when it was not an option.

I want to play Shelter right now, but I think I should finish playing the indie games being voted on first. Hope controller support for it is patched in later.

I'm gonna skip Shelter till its in a bundle, I found Pid to be a bit rubbish (although it looked quite nice) and the premise of their next game isn't exactly setting me on fire.

Twinduct

So yeah...Terraria and Edge of Space crossover
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/28/indie-game-mash-up-terraria-comes-to-edge-of-space

Is Edge of Space any good?

Ah nice!
It's ok. I mean I'm not that an avid player but bought it when it was in early Alpha and guess it's now in beta, but still not completely sure how everything goes with each other.

It feels like it's hiding a lot of great ideas behind not wanting to ruin the sandbox approach. I mean you have a 10 page (like 200 character limit) page tutorial explaining the essentials then saying 'Go crazy yo!' .. But they never explain how you advance in tech or what the start game goal is.

So I always end up making a base out of dirt, finding some base level material and eventually running out of interest in the game before I can actually set out to advance the whole game.

I do blame myself though, as unlike with Terraria, I just can't afford the time to spend ages mucking around to figure out exactly what's happening. But unlike Terraria, I can't just go and watch a let's play that actually seems to progress past the initial hour or so of what I've experienced.

But yeah still think it's a decent game to keep an eye on.

Edit: Ah ok the roadmap on the steam page seems encouraging. Never saw it and the plans seems to be pretty huge! So yeah not regretting the pickup of it ... although I did when I got it in alpha heh

Hofmann

Voting!

Bokida - Has a nice concept but it didn't caugh my attention.

Do you know, you can build a bullet train out of the blocks, that is actually moving, and then you can cut it into thousand pieces; or create a sculpture, and then cut it into thousand pieces. There're so many ways to cut things into thousand pieces in this game, it's not even funny.

Do you know, you can build a bullet train out of the blocks, that is actually moving, and then you can cut it into thousand pieces; or create a sculpture, and then cut it into thousand pieces. There're so many ways to cut things into thousand pieces in this game, it's not even funny.

I know there are a lot of possibilities, the problem is not the game it's with me, I think I didnt get the feel of the game. :(

Soooo now that I no longer have to fret about Armikrog, Bunny Must Die!, Freedom Planet, Knytt Underworld, Mutant Mudds, Shantae or Multimedia Fusion 2 getting Greenlit... I wonder how Freedom Fall, Gunman Clive and Love+ are faring?

Top Bottom