• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [February] Now Voting - Post 808!

Magicite - $9.99
ss_5a91071f1624dfe96b085630795e9363fee6d8d8.1024x768.jpg

Steam Early Access Link

Explore, craft, and survive in this Multiplayer RPG Platformer with permanent death! Magicite is already packed with randomly generated dungeons, crafting, lots of loot and a bunch of gear. So far there are 7 explorable biomes; each filled with unique enemies and resources to collect.

inkls

Hmm, the multiplayer part is off-putting to me, but if this actually had some kind of progression, maybe even more pronounced than Terraria, and less emphasis on collecting resources, I could see myself being all over this. Time to investigate!

The kickstarter has more information regarding that if you're curious. Also has permadeath.

Blood of the Werewolf is the new IGS deal. Any impressions? It looks like my kind of game from the trailer

It's okay, very forgettable though. The way your character moves lacks a certain degree of precision and the levels are a little slapdash so playing can be a bit of a slog apart from certain areas. I also don't really like the werewolf parts where they basically make you larger and even more unwieldy which is sorta half the selling point of the game. It's not awful; but you can probably guess by the fact that I have slagged it off for a paragraph that it isn't really worth exploring unless you are mad keen on every type of 2D platformers.

Chasm poster, so nice.
chasm-box-tiny.jpg

Almost 2 hours into [Game name REDACTED] and it continues to impress. There have been a few challenging platforming sections interspersed between the traversal and light puzzle solving, but for the most part, it's all about the experience. Some might say it's boring, too much walking, but if there's one thing the game has excelled at since the start, it's making you feel small, insignificant within the massive alien spaces. That has been the highlight for me, just traveling through this mysterious complex. You exit from a narrow corridor into a gargantuan space that makes you tense just looking over the edge, and then you realize you have to find a way down. The game doesn't hold your hand, don't direct you where to go, besides the visual environmental cues. The game is certainly linear, don;t expect a sprawling world, but you do have to find your way and it's easy to get disoriented, lost, turned around. The game has a fantastic atmosphere, mysterious, engaging, ominous, otherworldly.

As for negatives, there's one mechanic that at the moment feels more extraneous than integral to the overall experience. It complicates a simple action, and while it kind of feels almost Receiver-esque in the sense that you have to focus on an action that is usually automatic, I don't think it has really added anything to the gameplay yet. One platforming section was quite frustrating and I ended up just turning up the gamma to complete it. Also I found some checkpoints can be bit too spread out, but that's only been an issue two or three times.

Hnnggggg

I'm ready to make the thread.

I like this! Very clever gameplay mechanic, very smart narrative. I played the first few levels and am definitely a fan.
I'm trying to think of a similar game. It was a dystopian setting, stealth, isometric, I believe was featured in one of the Screenshot Saturdays. I remember the GIF had a light highlighting a message on the floor that changed as it shifted from light to shadow

Sound familiar to anyone?

I dont know if you guys have talked about this game but it seems pretty interesting :

NaissanceE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MN5zri5TmPU

NaissanceE is a first person exploration PC game.

The adventure takes place in a primitive mysterious structure and the game mainly consists to explore and feel the deep and strong ambiance of this atemporal world but platforming and puzzles areas will also enrich the experience.

Release tomorrow on steam.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Hmm, game sounds familiar. I'm believe we've talked about it in these threads before

Hmm, you think?

More serious comment: And welcome Sothis, feel free to stay here and discuss the game with us once its out ;) We always love us some impressions.

Journal, the next game by Richard Perrin/Locked Door Puzzle (Kairo, The White Chamber), is being released on the 17th of this month. $10 according to its Humble widget.

Steam page.

Official site and purchase through Humble.

Kairo is one of my personal favorite indie/adventure games from recent years so I'm really excited to see how Journal turns out. Apparently it's an adventure game along the lines of Kentucky Route Zero or The Walking Dead where it's more about the narrative than anything else.

inkls

I'm trying to think of a similar game. It was a dystopian setting, stealth, isometric, I believe was featured in one of the Screenshot Saturdays. I remember the GIF had a light highlighting a message on the floor that changed as it shifted from light to shadow

Sound familiar to anyone?

Is it the phone game where you guide a girl and you are a hacker monitering her through cameras? Game takes place in a dystopia. Can't recall title

edit: republique.

Journal, the next game by Richard Perrin/Locked Door Puzzle (Kairo, The White Chamber), is being released on the 17th of this month. $10 according to its Humble widget.

Steam page.

Official site and purchase through Humble.

Kairo is one of my personal favorite indie/adventure games from recent years so I'm really excited to see how Journal turns out. Apparently it's an adventure game along the lines of Kentucky Route Zero or The Walking Dead where it's more about the narrative than anything else.

Picking this game up hopefully as a review copy, if not I'll be buying it day 1 for sure.

flowsnake

Seems very similar to the Total War game, could you compare them?

They are pretty different.

The upper screenshot with the map is just the zoomed out version of the rest of the game (e.g. in the lower screenshot). It's just represented more abtractly as you zoom out to that level. It doesn't go into the separate battle phase/screen like Total War games do.

I can't really compare them that well in detail because I haven't played much TW at all.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
They are pretty different.

The upper screenshot with the map is just the zoomed out version of the rest of the game (e.g. in the lower screenshot). It's just represented more abtractly as you zoom out to that level. It doesn't go into the separate battle phase/screen like Total War games do.

I can't really compare them that well in detail because I haven't played much TW at all.

Can you explain how the gameplay mostly works? Basically the focus of the Hegemony games? Basically just a huge real time war field with units everywhere that you need to constantly order around? Any sort of diplomacy? Tech trees? Building aspects?

flowsnake

Basically just a huge real time war field with units everywhere that you need to constantly order around?

Based on the previous game (Hegemony Gold) that's about right. You start off in your home country with a few cities and are given some objectives (e.g. take over city X). You unlock more objectives gradually as you expand over the huge map, and this comprises the whole campaign. There are forts and cities to take over, and you have to watch your borders constantly as the countries next to you will keep attacking you and you have to deal with this manually. Hostile cities that you take over will also keep rebelling against you unless you station troops there. The game is built around a real time with pause style of play, and the default is to pause automatically when enemies are visible.

Each city gradually builds up manpower over time, which you can convert into troops (which takes quite a while to be restored, so you can't constantly recreate armies). The troops you can create are different for each city, depending on things like nationality (e.g. the Thracians have good cavalry). You also have to keep the cities supplied by connecting them to farms, and razing farms of hostile cities is a good way to cripple them. Armies eat the food of the city there are nearby and this directly affects their combat ability, so you really have to take care of the supply lines. You also have to spend money to create troops, which you get by sending slaves or workers to the mines. You can get more slaves from the armies that you defeat. Mines are connected to your city network by roads similarly to the farms, and you can transfer wealth and food to other cities by roads/trade routes.

In battles you have various different formations to choose. It's very important that even if armies are nowhere near dead, if they have no morale then they will just run away and be useless.

I *think* there is diplomacy, but it is minor and I don't really remember doing it much if at all. However I didn't get deep into the game. There's no tech tree as such (the historical scope of the game is quite small) and you can fortify cities but I don't remember much building other than that.

There's probably a lot that I don't remember, and of course the new game has some different mechanics but I think it must be quite similar.

Toma

Based on the previous game (Hegemony Gold) that's about right. You start off in your home country with a few cities and are given some objectives (e.g. take over city X). You unlock more gradually as you expand over the huge map, and this comprises the whole campaign. There are forts and cities to take over, and you have to watch your borders constantly as the countries next to you will keep attacking you and you have to deal with this manually. Hostile cities that you take over will also keep rebelling against you unless you station troops there. The game is built around a real time with pause style of play, and the default is to pause automatically when enemies are visible.

Each city gradually builds up manpower over time, which you can convert into troops (which takes quite a while to be restored, so you can't constantly recreate armies). The troops you can create are different for each city, depending on things like nationality (e.g. the Thracians have good cavalry). You also have to keep the cities supplied by connecting them to farms, and razing farms of hostile cities is a good way to cripple them. Armies eat the food of the city there are nearby and this directly affects their combat ability, so you really have to take care of the supply lines. You also have to spend money to create troops, which you get by sending slaves or workers to the mines. You can get more slaves from the armies that you defeat. Mines are connected to your city network by roads similarly to the farms, and you can transfer wealth and food to other cities by roads/trade routes.

In battles you have various different formations to choose. It's very important that even if armies are nowhere near dead, if they have no morale then they will just run away and be useless.

I *think* there is diplomacy, but it is minor and I don't really remember doing it much if at all. However I didn't get deep into the game. There's no tech tree as such (the historical scope of the game is quite small) and you can fortify cities but I don't remember much building other than that.

There's probably a lot that I don't remember, and of course the new game has some different mechanics but I think it must be quite similar.

Very interesting, thanks for the write up :)

I just released the alpha for my game Another Castle, including a free web version. You can check it out at http://www.AnotherCastleTheGame.com

Let me know what you guys thnk, and here's a gif of a baby fire dragon, the latest enemy I've added to the game:

9XNComl.gif

Will the full version make you start a new game when you lose all your lives, or will it do the 3-D mario style of giving you a few lives and restarting you after you last completed level?

From what I played I did enjoy it. It took a little time and a life to get use to the somewhat floatey jumping, but after doing so I enjoyed the platforming. While I was aware of the game before via Kickstarter, after playing I will be watching the game more closely.

flowsnake

Very interesting, thanks for the write up :)

One other thing I would emphasize is that it feels very nonlinear because of how large the map is. The objectives system gives you a lot of different directions to conquer at any one time.

I personally felt overwhelmed by how large your empire becomes. I can't really imagine what taking over all of Greece would have been like.

Will the full version make you start a new game when you lose all your lives, or will it do the 3-D mario style of giving you a few lives and restarting you after you last completed level?

From what I played I did enjoy it. It took a little time and a life to get use to the somewhat floatey jumping, but after doing so I enjoyed the platforming. While I was aware of the game before via Kickstarter, after playing I will be watching the game more closely.

Thanks! In the full version you'll have to start a new game when you run out of lives. This is sort of a compromise between true permadeath, and being a bit more forgiving when it comes to dying from falling in pits and the like. I prefer it this way because your lives will actually matter in the game, as opposed to in mario where losing lives just becomes a pointless nuisance.

Thanks! In the full version you'll have to start a new game when you run out of lives. This is sort of a compromise between true permadeath, and being a bit more forgiving when it comes to dying from falling in pits and the like. I prefer it this way because your lives will actually matter in the game, as opposed to in mario where losing lives just becomes a pointless nuisance.

Hopefully for my sake your game doesn't become my new Biding of Issac addiction (210 Hours).

Toma

Finally bit the bullet with Magicians and Looters, impressions coming (at one point).

alllen

Neo Member
Heart & Slash looks really good for their first game, then I read on their website the programmer went to DigiPen. A lot of good things have been made there and by people who went there, so it's a good sign.

Now this looks promising. I just hope the game is as good as the screenshots

Whitewash - Feb 19/$5 (PC, Mac)
Screenshot-VIII.jpg

http://www.ousegames.com/

At first all he has to do is to leave the skinner-box made to test his skills. Pick some objects, drop them on a processing machine, grab the battery generated by the components and put that battery over a energy slot to open the door. All that just to go to the next skinner-box chamber. Ok for a while, but when chamber after chamber each challenge becomes harder and military threatenings shows up everywhere… Bill understands he may never leave that place alive…

Toma

Now this looks promising. I just hope the game is as good as the screenshots

Whitewash - Feb 19/$5 (PC, Mac)

That just made me wonder why there isnt a cube (the movies) like portal-style puzzle game. Hard puzzles and gore, should be a nice fit :p

That just made me wonder why there isnt a cube (the movies) like portal-style puzzle game. Hard puzzles and gore, should be a nice fit :p

The Saw games aren't totally unlike that if I remember. Ultra violence mixed in with the occasional block-sliding puzzle.

Toma

The Saw games aren't totally unlike that if I remember. Ultra violence mixed in with the occasional block-sliding puzzle.

Yeah, but they had less of these actual puzzles and the puzzles were more or less just fillers. Nothing like random numbers that you need to decipher, cryptic messages or other complex puzzles :p

Probably super niche anyway, but I figured with the popularity of these movies, someone would have tried.

Twinduct

So finally finished Battle Star Galactica ... man what I won't give for a game based around the initial theme of Season 1.

I think Enemy Starfighter is the closest to the idea, but gonna try my hand at hoping someone else maybe suggesting something I might have missed.

Essentially the idea is survival whilst being chased by a stronger enemy. Eventually establishing a home and then fighting it out.

So something like Star Drive, but not the 4X cornerstone.

Closest games I can think of is SPAZ, Enemy starfighter, Space princess (or whatever it's called).

Any other suggestions?

Toma

So finally finished Battle Star Galactica ... man what I won't give for a game based around the initial theme of Season 1.

I think Enemy Starfighter is the closest to the idea, but gonna try my hand at hoping someone else maybe suggesting something I might have missed.

Essentially the idea is survival whilst being chased by a stronger enemy. Eventually establishing a home and then fighting it out.

So something like Star Drive, but not the 4X cornerstone.

Closest games I can think of is SPAZ, Enemy starfighter, Space princess (or whatever it's called).

Any other suggestions?

FTL?

Top Bottom