• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [February] Now Voting - Post 808!

Twinduct

I actually though of that, but the scale is just so small in that. More fleet, less space cowboy.

I think that what I want doesn't exist. I mean granted I've only been thinking of a like the inital scope of the game, but I basically own almost every Space themed game on steam. That's not bragging btw that's just obsession and I can't think of one that falls under my current craving.

From what I've seen of Enemy starfighter, it seems to be the closest idea (Fleet control + resource management). But doubt it would expand to what I want.

Bleh when is Homeworld HD or Hardware coming ;<

So finally finished Battle Star Galactica ... man what I won't give for a game based around the initial theme of Season 1.

I think Enemy Starfighter is the closest to the idea, but gonna try my hand at hoping someone else maybe suggesting something I might have missed.

Essentially the idea is survival whilst being chased by a stronger enemy. Eventually establishing a home and then fighting it out.

So something like Star Drive, but not the 4X cornerstone.

Closest games I can think of is SPAZ, Enemy starfighter, Space princess (or whatever it's called).

Any other suggestions?

You might like AI War, it's basically a real time mass unit strategy like Supreme Commander (but with ships). The hook is that you are playing vs a super computer AI who is faster stronger and generally better then you in ever way, but doesn't consider you as threat (at first) so will largely leave you alone. You basically have to build up a guerrilla army in secret while slowly chopping away at this AI while not annoying it enough for it to bring down the sledgehammer on you. You're not really running in it, but you do constantly get the feeling of fighting an overwhelming force.

This is looking good! Always wanted a Civil War strat game.

Ultimate General: Gettysburg - In Greenlight
637x358.resizedimage

5_UGG_Logo.jpg

www.ultimategeneral.com

Ultimate General: Gettysburg is a Tactical Battle Simulator that allows you to lead thousands of soldiers in the famous Battle of Gettysburg as commander of either the Union or Confederate army. The game will feature the most accurately created map, detailed order of battle, complex morale, innovative control mechanics and smart AI.

Twinduct

You might like AI War, it's basically a real time mass unit strategy like Supreme Commander (but with ships). The hook is that you are playing vs a super computer AI who is faster stronger and generally better then you in ever way, but doesn't consider you as threat (at first) so will largely leave you alone. You basically have to build up a guerrilla army in secret while slowly chopping away at this AI while not annoying it enough for it to bring down the sledgehammer on you. You're not really running in it, but you do constantly get the feeling of fighting an overwhelming force.

A great suggestion! I actually do own it and have played it to bits.
Actually didn't notice the AI not treating you like a threat. But then again the early stages blow past quite quickly.

I love the game but the the larger battles becomes unmanageable for me, with the end game basically being throwing blobs of stuff against each other.

Kind of annoyed now, I never picked up the Vengeance of the machine DLC during the sale that was a few weeks ago (if not last week).

epmode

Dead State will be up on Early Access very soon now. I just got this in my email:

Dead State is going on Steam in a matter of minutes. We're going to be sending out the codes for KS backers and Pre-Orders as fast as we can. Email server limits and issues may prevent us from sending them all out at once, but we will process them until we're done. If you don't get a code right away, don't worry, it's coming. If a day or two passes and you still don't have a code, message us and we'll see what we can do. At this point, the team is pretty wrecked, very little sleep, two leads down from fevers, etc. We're hoping to make this as smooth as possible, so please be patient.

Thanks, everybody - enjoy the demo, and please feel free to leave feedback on our forums!

Twinduct

Dead State will be up on Early Access very soon now. I just got this in my email:

oo think I'll stay up to start the download. Btw those who backed it, if you want a DRM free version of the final game you should not activate your key to get the demo as the key will transform to the final version on steam and from what I understand you'll not be able to get the DRM free version if you already have the steam version.

epmode

Oh god, gimme my key already.

(it'd be nice if they would have emailed the keys before the wide release, like the Hawken guys)

if you want a DRM free version of the final game you should not activate your key to get the demo as the key will transform to the final version on steam and from what I understand you'll not be able to get the DRM free version if you already have the steam version.

Yeah, I saw that too. Why not just give both versions to everyone?

Twinduct

Oh god, gimme my key already.

(it'd be nice if they would have emailed the keys before the wide release, like the Hawken guys)

Yeah, I saw that too. Why not just give both versions to everyone?

No the first KS to do this but I assume fear of piracy or content sharers (Dude grabs on steam, friend gets the DRM free version). I get that the demo (Early access) is steam only though but not gonna lie if I backed the project and wanted a DRM free copy .. I'd be pretty peeved in not being able to partake in the 'Early Access'.

epmode

If they're really concerned about piracy, you'd think they'd just avoid the DRM-free version completely.

I feel that worrying about DRM as a developer or publisher is mostly a waste of time. It barely effects piracy and the goodwill gained by allowing everyone to get both versions would go a long way with the kind of people that are into crowdfunding.

Twinduct

If they're really concerned about piracy, you'd think they'd just avoid the DRM-free version completely.

I feel that worrying about DRM as a developer or publisher is mostly a waste of time. It barely effects piracy and the goodwill gained by allowing everyone to get both versions would go a long way with the kind of people that are into crowdfunding.

Agreed. I know alot of people have issues with Steam and what have you but I'm pretty sure steam is a very low price of entry if you want games like Wasteland 2 and etc (Aka wouldn't have been made otherwise).

But yeah been seeing quite alot of games I backed going Steam for early access and only launch the DRM free version upon release.

Solus, new game from the developers of The Ball and Unmechanical

Solus - PC
solus_highres_release1_07-685x354.jpg

http://www.solusthegame.com/

Solus is a single player exploration and survival game, experienced in first person and developed in Unreal Engine 4. It is set on a mysterious and uninhabited alien planet.
With Earth on the brink of destruction you are sent to explore a distant planet. After 20 years of space travel you arrive but experience a catastrophic landing.
With your team members dead and your equipment destroyed you have no ways of communicating with - or receiving help from an earth that might no longer exist...You are completely and utterly alone.

cubrick - Free Alpha/2014 (PC, Mac, Android)
cubrick-2014-02-12-22-16-15-101_500x281_10fps.gif

http://acatalept.com/cubrick/

Cubrick is a minimal, meditative, 3D exploration puzzle game that challenges your perception and spatial reasoning. The challenge lies not in finding the correct path, but simply finding the path. Rotate and zoom your perspective to grasp the layout of the maze - at least until it starts moving...

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Well, that was unexpected.
00BY11T.png

My OP video impressions on Magicians & Looters:
http://youtu.be/EF655ah1Aao
81crEBT.png

I cant judge the length unfortunately, but if you play past the initial tutorial area, I dont quite get how opinions on this game might be as mixed as Badass said they were. Its an action platformer with RPG and Metroidvania elements and also actually very apt at what it does. The initial 15 minutes are really bland and I wasnt too sold on the combat itself, but past the starting area, I was very surprised to see plenty of hidden areas, metroidvania style map progression, interesting room/enemy setups that require some mildly challenging strategies, switches, shortcuts, a magic system, equipment, a level up system and 3 different characters between which you can switch to reach certain areas of the map.

Biggest caveat: It might be relatively short, but I am definitely enjoying it.

I saw reviews stating everything from that it was the best Metroidvania since Symphony of the Night, that it was one of the best hidden gem they've found, to that the gameplay was generic and boring, and that the only good thing about the game was the story

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I saw reviews stating everything from that it was the best Metroidvania since Symphony of the Night, that it was one of the best hidden gem they've found, to that the gameplay was generic and boring, and that the only good thing about the game was the story

Considering the story was easily the worst part of it, dont listen to those guys. But yeah, you should see in the video that its actually quite a good game. Its CERTAINLY not a symphony of the night, but its a surprisingly good Metroidvania.

Some awesome answers to some questions I've had about Galactic Princess since I first learned about the game

How does crew vs crew combat work? Real-time tactical, turn-based, directly control?
Real time and tactical pause: To facilitate your management and tactical decisions, an active pause will help you to assign your orders.

Similarly, can you directly control a crew member and walk around your ship?
The direct control is one of our kickstater strech goals.

Do you actually control your ship and fly through space or is it more like FTL, where you just manage your systems?
You can control your ship and fly through space, the opposite of FTL.

Can't wait for this campaign to launch

Edit: hell yes

Some awesome answers to some questions I've had about Galactic Princess since I first learned about the game

How does crew vs crew combat work? Real-time tactical, turn-based, directly control?
Real time and tactical pause: To facilitate your management and tactical decisions, an active pause will help you to assign your orders.

Do you actually control your ship and fly through space or is it more like FTL, where you just manage your systems?

Those gifs make me really happy. Love all the different things going on at once.

hell yes it is.. i've been looking fwd to this game for awhile. i wonder how is that "lightsaber" fight controlled?

daydream

Banned
I believe Nothing to Hide is absolutely ready to be featured next month, so:

Nothing To Hide - Free (PC, Browser)
TqmLL0f.jpg

http://nothing-to-hide-demo.s3.amazonaws.com/index.html

Calling itself an "anti-stealth game", Nothing To Hide is both a biting satire on the lives we are seemingly forced to lead in a post-private world, and an innovative, subversive stealth experience at that. The goal is to remain visible at all times - a frightening proposition, but one that is all to real.

rybrad

Ghostcontrol Inc looks pretty ace.
Screenshot_GCI_1.png

Also listen to that sweet theme song.
I backed the Kickstarter for this but haven't had a chance to play much. They have been patching a lot and you have to download a new .exe every time which can be annoying. I was going to wait for it to get Greenlit before putting a lot of time into it but if people are hungry for impressions I can play it sooner.

Karmaflow - late 2014 (PC, Mac)
directlink_BghIlKxIUAAo6um.jpg%3Alarge.jpg

http://karmaflowgame.com/

In "Karmaflow: The Rock Opera Videogame" you take on the role of The Karmakeeper, which makes you responsible for maintaining the balance in the multi-verse. On this journey, you have to travel to different universes where the balance of life has been distorted. Through puzzling and platforming you have to bring the long lost Karmaflow back into these worlds, to drive out the unbalanced Karma that led to the destruction of the guardian spirits of these universes.

Age of Asteroids - PC
screenday3.jpg

http://www.indiedb.com/games/age-of-asteroids

You are a freelancer in this world. Seek out to find asteroids, colonize them, build up a mining colony, gather resources and defend them. You will be on your own and have to care for your colonies survival. Expand your Scanner Range, send out scouts to find even more asteroids in your sector. Your main goal is to mine resources and sell them to the occassionaly appearing transporters to earn your money and your reputation.

Super Rocket Shootout - PC, Mac, Linux
directlink_BghOXOKIgAEvS6Z.jpg%3Alarge.jpg

http://oddlyshapedpixels.blogspot.com/

Local multiplayer, fast-paced and easy-to-learn brawler full of jetpacks and shotguns

Frank's Day Out - ????
5cG9soF.png

http://8bitape.net/

A 3D adventure game, it will have a healthy dose of exploration and Dinosaur ghosts!

Gunnihilation - ????
Previously Mentioned

Witchmarsh

Forward To The Sky

Blood Alloy

Hive Jump - late 2014 (PC, Mac)
directlink_Bgh2Hn9CMAA_ttc.jpg%3Alarge.jpg

http://graphitelab.com/

HIVE JUMP is a multiplayer co-op sci-fi shooter that gives players the experience of jumping into a gloriously rendered alien hive, fighting their way to the bottom, and nuking the hive queen for the good of mankind!

Even the Ocean - PC
directlink_Bf-SOu_CMAAK34G.png%3Alarge.png

http://www.eventheocean.com/

Explore and learn the nature, boundaries and future of an fantasy world with diverse landscapes. Balance your energy bar to modify your horizontal and vertical movement speed as you travel through the world of The Ocean.
Even is a woman in her 20s in a fictional present-day seaside town: meet and learn about people around her town, as well as explore Even's thoughts through this slice-of-life walk-and-interact + daydream-exploration-platforming hybrid game that also looks at mechanics developed in The Ocean.

The Ancients - ????

Previously Mentioned

Futuridium

Ascendant

Mines of Mars

Nice bit on info of Path of Shadows from a Greenlight thread
We are aiming for a Tenchu/Mark of the Ninja style where you have a single story divided in scenarios/chapters. Each scenario can be completed following different paths and approaches; maybe you want to get on the rooftops, test your skills using teleports and get rid of the enemy archers, or maybe you'd like to use fear tactics to make guard patrols kill each other in confusion.. or just go full stealth to get through the level.. it's up to you. Each scenario will be replayable to get different achievements, like ghost runs, and try different approaches.
Ghost runs and multiple approaches/paths! So excited for this
Can't wait to see the redone visuals

Project Outlaws - Open alpha soon (PC, Mac, Linux)
directlink_VkalNED.gif

http://www.anisopteragames.com/

We are developing an action oriented spaceship building and exploration game. You play as a robotic probe from a long extinct civilization, mysteriously reactivated after aeons of disuse. The artifacts and memories of your civilization have been scattered and the ruins colonized. Your objective is to recover what you can and reinvent the rest. Pilot and redesign your ship, explore a dynamic ecosystem, and fight enemies.

Magicmaker - Free alpha (PC)
directlink_BgibdXyCcAAis7P.png%3Alarge.png

http://tastystewdios.blogspot.com/

Magicmaker is an indie platformer dungeon-crawler where you make your own magic spells from components you find.

QBEH-1 - April 2014 (PC, Mac, Linux)
directlink_BgifuLDCYAAtUYo.jpg%3Alarge.jpg

http://digitaltribegames.com/qbeh-1/

QBEH-1: The Atlas Cube will take players on an inspired quest through six divergent worlds, each filled with new mysteries and secrets to uncover. In each world there will be special cubes that must be collected and used to navigate to the next portal. Some cubes will simply be used as stepping stones to new areas while others and imbued with magical properties such as light, gravity and propulsion.

Glitchhikers - ????

Untitled game - ????
jhCUUjp.jpg

More info soon

Previously Mentioned

Path to the Sky

Dog Sled Saga

Of all the games I've discovered today, Project Outlaws has me most excited. Here's a great gameplay video showing off the combat, exploration, ship building and some nice screenshots
A remaining crystalline ship pulls itself back together while retreating
BfoUsrXCEAEOOQw.png

Battle debris, damaged ships and hostile plants!
Bfa7AwKCcAAHKLb.png

Large scale fleet battle
BfoUBVBCcAA2OIq.png

Space ship designer instructions. Torpedo launchers.
BfY4vQyCAAAcBm7.jpg

alllen

Neo Member
Seems like that takes some major inspiration from the Captain Forever games. I like that you can build your ship safely, was a real source of frustration in the aforementioned games. Though it also led to some interesting and tense moments, but it's cool both games exist.

Thanks for all the Screenshot Saturday posts, hard wading through them all. I particularly like that shot of Glitchhikers.

Corto

I won a copy of Glitchspace on a Valentine's Giveaway that Space Budgie, the devs, held yesterday! YAY Will try it tomorrow and post some feedback. It's in Alpha still though, so I might explode trying to play it. Tell my wife and son that I love them if that happens.

I won a copy of Glitchspace on a Valentine's Giveaway that Space Budgie, the devs, held yesterday! YAY Will try it tomorrow and post some feedback. It's in Alpha still though, so I might explode trying to play it. Tell my wife and son that I love them if that happens.
Cool. I was considering buying it, interested in your impressions

Not sure if this game was featured before

The Universim - PC, Mac, Linux
9DC386733E33C3372635933B0D26407F3B084A59

http://theuniversim.com/

The Universim is, first and foremost, a planet management game. Your civilization will begin in the Stone Age, thousands of years before the modern era. In The Universim you have a godlike ability to make decisions that play another crucial role in the game. While you will not interact directly with the population that inhabits your planet, you will be able to guide them through their development and influence their decisions for better or worse. Choices in the game extend from ending wars between cities on your planet or watching as one city destroys the other, to influencing the research path of your civilization, and much much more.

Toma

Not sure if I should ask this here.. but does anyone know when Samurai Gunn and Mecenary Kings are coming out on PS4?

We dont have dates, and especially with Indie release dates... try not to believe any date :p

Hey guys, just be prepared for a ton of game posts tomorrow. Tonight is the first r/indiedev Monthly Showcase thread, where developers with reasonably finished games, introduce themselves, their teams and their games, with links to videos, screenshots and playable demos
This is a free and open event controlled entirely by the community, where indie developers of all shapes and sizes will be presenting games they have created.
If you love indie games, come check out the Showcase this Sunday, try out a demo or two, ask developers questions, and discover some true gems!
If you know any developers that might be interested in showing off a finished game, let them know about the event!
Here's the link of the subreddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev
The Showcase thread will be up around midnight EST

Remember a few days ago, I was asking about a game I couldn't recall?

Well that game was "Nothing To Hide, Nothing To Fear"
And if you think it looks familiar, it's because the game has become Nothing To Hide.

Which is awesome and thought provoking and deserves a ton of support. I'm thinking of making a thread, unless one of you guys want to

Top Bottom