• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [October] Now Voting - Post 1253!

daydream

Banned
I agree with everything you said except, naturally Impulse and Time Frame, but everyone can certainly have its own opinion on games. Glad I found a few others that liked these games though, which reminds me that I wanted to have a little talk about Time France but dont have the time while making the new thread.

I would play a sequel called Time France.

I actually did go back to Impulse only to beat the level I previously got stuck on my second or third try. The subsequent levels did leave a better impression on me, so I'm holding out on my final verdict. Court is adjourned.

judge-thinking.gif

Another bad ending. :( I must keep trying. At least this time I got in an
island
with an
old man
but then choose an wrong options and
Player steps outside, the ocean is now gone and replaced with pure void. A giant rushing sensation is noticed before the lighthouse is overrun by the darkness, killing the player.

THE END

Edit: Finally I got a "good" ending. Everybody play it, it's very well written and has a lot of branches to where the story can unfold. My ending:

Your ceiling comes into focus softly. The sun is up. Birds chirp happily from a nearby tree, welcoming you back to the world. You lean up in your own bed, not the filthy rag from the sacrilegious church. Your back is stiff, but you're home. You don't know why everything felt as real as it did, but you're just glad that its finally come to its

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
That was great. I jumped through it with the bated breath and managed to see daylight.
The familiar sight of your ceiling comes into focus softly. Daylight shines its warmth through your windows. Sitting up in your bed, you realize that you're back home. Your legs are killing you. You rub them to relieve some soreness, thinking back on the forest you found yourself in earlier. Everything about it felt more real than any dream you've had before, yet here you are safe and sound at

Thanks, for the terrifying Halloween gift.

I'd hoped to see you play, glad you made it out alive! :D

Another bad ending. :( I must keep trying. At least this time I got in an
island
with an
old man
but then choose an wrong options and
Player steps outside, the ocean is now gone and replaced with pure void. A giant rushing sensation is noticed before the lighthouse is overrun by the darkness, killing the player.

THE END

Oh god that's embarassing, I had a sneaking suspicion I left one of the cells incomplete. (I filled in a bunch of cells with outlinespeak to help me get moving when I was having trouble, hence why it refers to you as "the player" and has such abrupt language.) I don't think there's a way for me to update it without replacing the whole thing, which sucks. I need to get my own hosting at some point so I can control stuff like that more directly.

I'd hoped to see you play, glad you made it out alive! :D

Oh god that's embarassing, I had a sneaking suspicion I left one of the cells incomplete. (I filled in a bunch of cells with outlinespeak to help me get moving when I was having trouble, hence why it refers to you as "the player" and has such abrupt language.) I don't think there's a way for me to update it without replacing the whole thing, which sucks. I need to get my own hosting at some point so I can control stuff like that more directly.

Lol I thought it was being a meta commentary. Anyway I edited my previous post with my new reasonable ending.

Moobabe

Ok - I'm gonna play it right NOW
Because New Girl hasn't finished downloading yet

Oh... I think I got a bad ending
Dying is bad right :(

Voting! Any games I've listed only, I've probably talked about them before and are known quantities by now.

Super Trench Attack - Where has this isometric goofy WW 1, Metal Slug-tinged, oh-so-British levels of hilarity of a game been my whole life?! Immediately bought and have put 2 hours into it. Not only headshots, but there are footshots and barenaked monkeys. When you melee an enemy, they drop their pants. If you knife a big dude, he's also wearing a bra. How much more of a silly anti-macho parody do you need?
iC944XhWds60N.gif

ixrVvxXNAJtnL.gif

ibuACqCWGH4gPJ.gif

ib0ZghITj1c8MW.gif

Even dying is funny
iRQehrBxVT70d.gif

Last Knight - A 3D on-rails knight-on-horse riding game with awesome ragdoll physics, whuuuuuut. Well worth buying, and despite its charming presentation, can be quite devious especially when trying to go for a coin run. Might look like it belongs on a Wii or Kinect, but it's quite precise in the controls that you can't just waffle around in all directions. Like the GIF below shows, you can play as a ghost version too. Really enjoyable, and deserves more recognition.
ibpmOaZz77T2Sr.gif

That's the ghost version of the normal me, yeah this game is weirdly hilarious

MirrorMoon EP - My god, it's full of planets! Much like Outer Wilds, a true space exploration game but here the locations and mechanics constantly switch on you. There's just surprise after surprise lurking around each dark side of the moon. I was sold after the KRZ cameo, there's so much visual wonder. One of the most dizzyingly brilliant FPSs I've ever played. I need to get back into it and make more GIFs.
ibhioXYD8ORzrC.gif

One Finger Death Punch - Remember those old internet stick fight animation videos that you loved in high school? Yeah, they're playable now in an on-rails fighter that has enough visual pizazz to make you feel like a badass every time. This is one of those games that everyone should play and recommend to others. Also, really surprised there aren't any GIFs of this game, especially this game. So let me oblige:
iboTAjxLwGjvTT.gif

Ball Of Doom
iYq0pkuIcEK4C.gif

Tri - Any game where I can make my own platforms and experiment around while chasing a fox is cool with me.
ibqH6ZylN6qb1h.gif

Naya's Quest - Indie Echochrome is about right, this has some real head-spinning puzzles and it can be quite challenging if you make just the wrong direction press.

Valdis Story

SUPER HOT - Matrix bullet time puzzle FPS. Enough said.
iZpS4rOyuzxZk.gif

Full Bore - Intelligent Boar Digging Puzzler. Possibly one of the cutest animals in videogame history.
iTUKMr30GrBwB.gif

ij0k4X0BNDnvd.gif

Volgarr the Viking - The 1-permanent-save-per-world design can be quite harsh, but in here lies one of the purest 2D action platformers around. If you're itching for a game that requires block-by-block precision, this game scratches it. Also, easily the best Viking game yet.
iLrpHkJzRoZpz.gif

iZzkNxlPZW2Oz.gif

Honourable mentions:
Boson X
iyt5qZmXh3gpY.gif

Goscurry - Another fun on-rails endless runner type game. Reminds me of Tron's right angle turns. It's a hard game indeed, requiring hairpin turns and split-second decisions. At some points, I actually prefer the fixed camera mode. Also, Fran Bow name drop!
goscurry_fran_bow_by_digi_matrix-d6sjv1b.jpg

Ascend: AoN - While the on-foot traversal can be quite clunky much like climbing up the mountain in an Elder Scrolls game, this grapple FPS shows promise and I'd like to see if this becomes more than a collectible quest. Does remind me of Borderland 2's first few levels :p
iM38t3bAXFBwK.gif

Particulars - While the base particles mechanics are quite solid, I got more interested in the story of this distraught physics student. What more psychological insight about her will we find out?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Ok - I'm gonna play it right NOW
Because New Girl hasn't finished downloading yet

Oh... I think I got a bad ending
Dying is bad right :(

It is very bad. Give it another go! :D

Alright, VOTES:

Full Bore - Gushingly charming platform-puzzler, while only the first half is out there's plenty of meat on them bones and lots to explore. Major props for giving players the keys to the kingdom and letting them figure out how to approach puzzles rather than relying on all-too-obvious tells that many other puzzlers fall for. I have to admit that this kicked my ass and thus my completion percentage is pathetically low but I love that dedication. Also see any of messofanego's gifs for why you too will fall in love.

Hate Plus - Christine Love's newest piece of interactive fiction takes some liberties and puts UI quirks over functionality but the results are incredibly unique. Read through the logs of the ship before the Year Zero event that turned their society into a cruel dynasty that degraded women and suppressed emotional freedom. Delivers a mix of anime game lampooning, erotic fiction, political suspense and the destruction of lives in one excellent package. Highly recommended to play through several times, as she has tucked certain bits of information behind different playthroughs. Harem ending is the greatest.

Disclaimer: I am totally biased here because Christine is one of my inspirations for getting back into writing, after having read Digital and Don't Take it Personally Babe several years ago.

MirrorMoon EP - Space is an incredible, mysterious, intoxicating subject to me. When I was but an unbaked Cheesecake, I held a fascination with stargazing, the space program, exploration... if it had to do with anything beyond our atmosphere, it drove my mind wild. I've had to watch over the years as science makes great strides in the field only to take budget cut after budget cut. MirrorMoon EP gives me that sense of awe again. Visiting new stars, discovering interesting landmarks and leaving my mark on a universe by naming said star. The use of unconventional multiplayer with shared star maps is an excellent idea as well.

SUPERHOT - ITS SUPERHOT

The Note - Another interactive fiction piece, this one took me some time to come to terms with but I love the way it places the player in this world and lets them walk through the poem at their own leisure. I still need to go find the second ending, now that I think about it.

Lamptramp

Anyways. I have a present for you guys. Over the past week I have been cramming hour after hour to sketch out and write up, code, and complete, a Choose Your Own Adventure story (made in Twine) in time for Halloween.

Awesome job that man, that was disturbing the hell out of me last night in the dark. It was a bit late so I only had the chance to have 2 run throughs, neither of which went well.

Look forward to another go tonight.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Just to have some fun numbers:

Without Hofmann and Wok, the next thread would have approximately 60% less content.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Thanks. I have added the names of the games to my post so that it is more user-friendly:

Currently including your post into the next OP (excluding those we already featured like Bokida, depression quest, gods will be watching, etc), which is also what I referred to with my last post.

Wok

Currently including your post into the next OP (excluding those we already featured like Bokida, depression quest, gods will be watching, etc), which is also what I referred to with my last post.

Oops, you are right! I have removed six games which were already mentioned, including the availability of a demo.

Toma

Oops, you are right! I have removed six games which were already mentioned, including the availability of a demo.

The whole list was much appreciated.

Toma

Finally done with the released games part for the next thread - 46.

Toma

That's an awful lot of stuff I'm going to judge based on the screenshots alone!

Future part done too now, 60 more games to judge :p
Onto the first post and voting stuff.

Toma

I am playing the beta of Extrasolar: https://extrasolar.com/

It is a kind of Farmville where you have to explore Mars and analyze pictures every 4 hours, unless you pay to upgrade your account.

Shush, everyone who still posts new games into this thread shall be struck by Pixel lightning.

Hofmann

Toma

Hey guys, the next thread is done. October thread is now CLOSED.You can find it here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=707609

As always, wait until I have 4 posts. Lots and lots of games we havent heard about so far, really q.... ARGH. IT GOT ME. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. HeLp Me~~~~~~~

Top Bottom