• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [October] Now Voting - Post 1253!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Heh, I was prepared for your scolding, but not, like, immediately after posting. :D

I was putting it off, what can I say. I'm probably a boarophobe.

This game is the best cure ;p

Just look at her!
i88ZU2zUkusFm.gif

iTUKMr30GrBwB.gif

ij0k4X0BNDnvd.gif

Smart little boar, you.

The Swapper is so weird. There's something really unsettlingly about having indentical clones...and killing them for the greater good. Can't wait to get to the real brain teasers

So I decided to give Impulse a whirl. It's deceptively simple for the first 10 or so levels, but then it begins to introduce more varied challenges and tweaks to the gameplay. It's ever so slowly escalating the difficulty, which I like.

However, level 20 is an absolute bastard!

Edit - Scratch what I just said. I blazed through and beat it right after posting about it. lol

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So I decided to give Impulse a whirl. It's deceptively simple for the first 10 or so levels, but then it begins to introduce more varied challenges and tweaks to the gameplay. It's ever so slowly escalating the difficulty, which I like.

However, level 20 is an absolute bastard!

Edit - Scratch what I just said. I blazed through and beat it right after posting about it. lol

Hehe, yeah. Most levels just need a certain approach to work decently. The first one that had me stumped for about 40 minutes was 52. Look forward to it :p

And I looove the level variety and how they made these levels feel completely different through small variations of the gameplay rules. some require you to hit a perfect angle, others require to hold the ship steady, others require you to be fast, and others again to be veeeeeeeeeeeeery slow on landings.

Edit: What was so problematic about 20 though?

Hehe, yeah. Most levels just need a certain approach to work decently. The first one that had me stumped for about 40 minutes was 52. Look forward to it :p

And I looove the level variety and how they made these levels feel completely different through small variations of the gameplay rules. some require you to hit a perfect angle, others require to hold the ship steady, others require you to be fast, and others again to be veeeeeeeeeeeeery slow on landings.

Edit: What was so problematic about 20 though?

My issue with 20 was that I was going too slow while trying to avoid hitting walls. I quickly realized that I needed to embrace my inner Sonic so I succeeded by going fast.

I haven't been stumped by levels for too long yet. Just made it to level 30.

Toma

My issue with 20 was that I was going too slow while trying to avoid hitting walls. I quickly realized that I needed to embrace my inner Sonic so I succeeded by going fast.

I haven't been stumped by levels for too long yet. Just made it to level 30.

Its a really small and stupid thing, but I really like looking at the particle effects. I felt really stupid that level 31 took me a few moments to realize :p ..and I am sure your inner sonic will love level 32!

Its a really small and stupid thing, but I really like looking at the particle effects. I felt really stupid that level 31 took me a few moments to realize :p ..and I am sure your inner sonic will love level 32!
You're not alone :p

The particle effect is so satisfying

Yeah the particles and neon colors are simple and clean yet still eye catching. It's very much like Geometry Wars for me. Also, the music is surprisingly eclectic, and there are a lot of tracks!

I'm at level 40 now! 39 was tough!

Thanks to everyone who voted on us! Finally the excitement have calmed down a bit.

I really wish I could say but for now its more of a "I have no clue".
Well at least you guys have that weight of your shoulders. Can't wait to play whenever it comes out

---
Just emptied my Steam Wallet on TWD Season 2. Telltale hasn't let me down yet and I'm making sure to go into this one with no spoilers (last time some huge moments had been spoiled for me before I played). The cart screen said November for release so we don't have long to wait.

Now I need to play 400 Days

And now I'm gonna take a break from Impulse for a bit. The small amount of fuel and the short time limit of level 41 is crazy.

I'm really enjoying this.

Toma

And now I'm gonna take a break from Impulse for a bit. The small amount of fuel and the short time limit of level 41 is crazy.

I'm really enjoying this.

I was surprised at how good this game is once you get past the initial "intro" levels. Easily one of my favourites this month. A bit sad that it wont land up higher up on the ranking.

Toma

Hahaaa, I've got an idea for the next thread. Just you wait, IndieGaf. Just you wait.

Hahaaa, I've got an idea for the next thread. Just you wait, IndieGaf. Just you wait.
Consider me intrigued....

---
Is there a way to force a game to start windowed? When I got The Swapper to work, I did the IsFullScreen True.>False trick, then set it to full screen in the settings. But I had to close the game and now every time I try to play, it crashes again and I can't get it to start windowed. That seems to be the problem, because the game runs smoothly with no issues so it's not a performance issue

btw this is the fourth game that I thought I wouldn't be able to run well but was able to just fine. Rochard, Sang Froid, Tower of Guns, and now The Swapper

And it was getting good too, just learned how to swap between clones

End My World

This game appears as a bonus game on the current build a greenlight groupees bundle http://groupees.com/bagb4.
Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=185626374

From first glance, it would be easy to write the game off as complete garbage. However when you dig a bit deeper into it... well ok it doesn't get much better.

The basic game is simple enough to understand. Rocks fall from the top of the sky and it is your duty to avoid them. To aid in this process, you can sometimes get power-ups that range from a flying protector to being able to shoot. Unfortunately none of these powers were granted the gift of animation and none of them are needed to survive. When you last long enough a siren blares inviting you to move onto the next stage. Unless you are hit by a late meteor of course, in which case you need to start again whilst the siren keeps going.

To be more positive, there is the hint of a nice effect as big meteors hit structures like buildings. There isn't any actual collision but the building does sort of "fall apart" in a decent effect. There are also a lot of bonus characters to get if for some reason you wanted to get right into it. The game is also colourful.

Overall, I would rate this game a 17.

---

Votes

Full Bore
Naya's Quest
Particulars
Volgarr the Viking

Wok

• Ethan: Meteor Hunter: A nice concept, but I cannot say how good the level design is after the end of the demo.
  • Full Bore: I don't like the controls at all, but the game design is charming and I find the puzzles hard.
  • SUPERHOT: the concept is great, too bad the game is so short.
  • TRI: a very polished game, with a nice concept and a long development (still in alpha 0.3).

Voted and best of luck matey.

Just grabbed swapper too, couldn't resist it any further.
Please report if you have any issues...

And if anyone can help, here's my problem:
Is there a way to force a game to start windowed? When I got The Swapper to work, I did the IsFullScreen True.>False trick, then set it to full screen in the settings. But I had to close the game and now every time I try to play, it crashes again and I can't get it to start windowed. That seems to be the problem, because the game runs smoothly with no issues so it's not a performance issue

I have. Tried switching it to false and starting again, but the game always opens full screen now

Create a shortcut of the game -> right click -> properties -> target. Then add -w after ".../theswapper.exe" if -w don't work try with -windowed or -window. If nothing of it works I'm out of ideas sorry. :(

Lamptramp

Please report if you have any issues...

And if anyone can help, here's my problem:

I think Panda is probably being more use than I would be TBH matey. No issues here on fullscreen though.

And though I'd seen vids before its a really pretty game "up front". Great atmos too.

Nothing, ugh. And the worse part is that I got it work and I was playing before....
I sent an email to the devs, hopefully they get back to me

Anyway, I started playing Creeper World 3. I forgot who posted it here, but thanks, because damn, it's an awesome hidden gem. I had never even heard of the series before but it's really good. It's not just your standard TD; sure there's the standard TD defense, but you must go on the offensive and be aggressive on the frontline while also defending yourself. It reminds me of Infested Planet in that way. The maps are big and you have to consider power usage, topography, and a bunch of other variables. I'm quite impressed for a game I've literally never seen any coverage anywhere or never heard of before.

Toma

Nothing, ugh. And the worse part is that I got it work and I was playing before....
I sent an email to the devs, hopefully they get back to me

Anyway, I started playing Creeper World 3. I forgot who posted it here, but thanks, because damn, it's an awesome hidden gem. I had never even heard of the series before but it's really good. It's not just your standard TD; sure there's the standard TD defense, but you must go on the offensive and be aggressive on the frontline while also defending yourself. It reminds me of Infested Plant in that way. The maps are big and you have to consider power usage, topography, and a bunch of other variables. I'm quite impressed for a game I've literally never seen any coverage anywhere or never heard of before.

Creeper World is an awesome game. I played one entry of that series 2-3 years ago or something. Really fun, especially the way the tower "network" works.

Hofmann

I failed my communication dance in Drei. I tried to write a message flying in the air, but nobody seemed to understand my intentions.

So I reinstalled Running With Rifles after having to revert my laptop to factory settings, got this message when I tried to start it:
The program can't start because d3dx9_42.dll is missing from your computer

Anyone know what that means and what I need to download?

Moobabe

Are there any musical experts in the thread? I'm talking like sheet music reading, dynamic understanding, straight up musical geniuses.

You probably need to install the latest directx redist from Microsoft.
Thanks got RWR to work, but damn it, I'd hopes that maybe it would fix my Swapper issues.

Am I literally the only one experiencing this? Swapper and Antichamber were the last two games on my must-have list and now I have Swapper, but can't even play it...

Mikado

Thanks got RWR to work, but damn it, I'd hopes that maybe it would fix my Swapper issues.

Am I literally the only one experiencing this? Swapper and Antichamber were the last two games on my must-have list and now I have Swapper, but can't even play it...

If you have a dual adaptor laptop, it might be defaulting to the on-board intel adaptor for those games. That's a common problem for indie games.

Nabs

I can't really vote because I haven't played much this month, but if I could I'd have Volgarr at the top and Super Hot right below it.

Wok

I can't really vote because I haven't played much this month, but if I could I'd have Volgarr at the top and Super Hot right below it.

I find it hard to find four games which I like. I have not tried Volgarr though.

Edit: Okay, these are my final votes, among which I recommend SUPERHOT and TRI more specifically.
  • Ethan: Meteor Hunter: A nice concept, but I cannot say how good the level design is after the end of the demo.
  • Full Bore: I don't like the controls at all, but the game design is charming and I find the puzzles hard.
  • SUPERHOT: the concept is great, too bad the game is so short.
  • TRI: a very polished game, with a nice concept and a long development (still in alpha 0.3).

Thanks man - I'm writing another "proper" article and as I'm planning out where I'm going and what I'm doing I find a massive gap in my knowledge when it comes to discussing music which, in this game, is more than pivotal.

I'm curious about the game you're writing.

Moobabe

I'm curious about the game you're writing.

It seems to fall quite closely to 'Dear Esther' in terms of.. "content." I wrote about that previously and it wasn't necessarily my intention to do something to similar.

This is a well researched piece of tosh I'm churning out that is going to be wholly unfocused... I find too many areas too interesting to narrow it down.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Are there any musical experts in the thread? I'm talking like sheet music reading, dynamic understanding, straight up musical geniuses.
I've been a musician for decades but I got lazy recently and stopped practicing. I read sheet music but I can also play by ear. I don't get paid for it, so it's a neat, but completely useless talent for me at the moment.

Yes! I finally have Antichamber

When I first got into PC gaming, I had a list of games I wanted to get. The only ones left to get were The Swapper (ugh...) and Antichamber.

Top Bottom