• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [September] Now Voting - Post 878!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
You speak like a man of experience! Links to any stuff you've made?

I did a ton of stuff, havent released anything so far though. I put about 200-300 hours into a randomized Action RPG with world building (you finding buidlings and terrain in the dungeon to build the world and village around the dungeon) for... I dont even know anymore. It was something like Gamemaker... until I noticed they didnt support multiple sounds at once and I scrapped the whole project. I also started a football manager style thing, but never went through with filling it with text generation content after I did most of the groundwork stuff (league creation, teams with players etc). Most of the stuff I did is just really early pre-alpha, but if I ever make something that I can show to the world, I will let you guys know.

Actually, there is a tool I programmed myself that I am using frequently to search for free music for my blog. Compiles me a list of bandcamp links that fit certain criteria, so I have less fluff to search through when searching records for my free music blog: http://wasfuersohr.blogspot.com/

Moobabe

I did a ton of stuff, havent released anything so far though. I put about 200-300 hours into a randomized Action RPG with world building (you finding buidlings and terrain in the dungeon to build the world and village around the dungeon) for... I dont even know anymore. It was something like Gamemaker... until I noticed they didnt support multiple sounds at once and I scrapped the whole project. I also started a football manager style thing, but never went through with filling it with text generation content after I did most of the groundwork stuff (league creation, teams with players etc). Most of the stuff I did is just really early pre-alpha, but if I ever make something that I can show to the world, I will let you guys know.

Actually, there is a tool I programmed myself that I am using frequently to search for free music for my blog. Compiles me a list of bandcamp links that fit certain criteria, so I have less fluff to search through when searching records for my free music blog: http://wasfuersohr.blogspot.com/

How do you even go about making something like that?! You're a flipping wizard!

Thanks for the advice, Toma. When I think about it now that initial excitement of being asked to write for a site has died down, I think you're right. Better to keep my own blog going strong. And as of now I have enough article drafts planned for all of October and that doesn't include all the new games I'll find be discovered over the month. I might have to cut it down to new content five or six days of week, just to make it easier for me

Anyone have any tips on how to expand on Twitter? I only have 4 followers right now.

Got some cool games to share in the thread, but I'm waiting for the October thread.

Twinduct

Thanks for the advice, Toma. When I think about it now that initial excitement of being asked to write for a site has died down, I think you're right. Better to keep my own blog going strong. And as of now I have enough article drafts planned for all of October and that doesn't include all the new games I'll find be discovered over the month. I might have to cut it down to new content five or six days of week, just to make it easier for me

Anyone have any tips on how to expand on Twitter? I only have 4 followers right now.

Well you post yours here for starters :p
Think engagement is the best bet. Like having a giveaway and etc. Sounds crappy, but the only reason people follow anyone on twitter is either: Friends, Information, Personalities, To get shit, customer support.

edit: I do base this one anecdotal evidence. So I'm most likely wrong.

Sup indie game thread :)

Sorry I've been absent, had a baby and started grad school (2 Days apart :p) Fun story though! My TA for Game Studio is making Against the Wall

ibnyGeBEQtCzfd.gif

I told him about this thread, but he didn't want the pressure ;).

Well you post yours here for starters :p
Think engagement is the best bet. Like having a giveaway and etc. Sounds crappy, but the only reason people follow anyone on twitter is either: Friends, Information, Personalities, To get shit, customer support.
That's the last thing I want to do. Getting followers because I said, "Follow me for a chance to win" is practically begging. Quality over quantity, I'd rather have like 20 followers who are actually interested in indie gaming and the information I share than have 200 followers who joined because they wanted to win something

Sorry I've been absent, had a baby and started grad school (2 Days apart :p) Fun story though! My TA for Game Studio is making Against the Wall

ibnyGeBEQtCzfd.gif

No way, that's so cool. You got a bonafide indie developer in your midst. Against The Wall is one of my anticipated games.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

ibnyGeBEQtCzfd.gif

Congrats! Wouldnt mind to see you back here if you can squeeze some Indie time in between your baby action ;)

Too late, it already was included here ;)

If I buy a game on GMG that doesn't use Steam, is it a direct download or do you have to play through a client? With the voucher, I can get Dustforce for $8.00, but I'm curious about that. Don't want to download another client

Toma

24144 characters.
...gnhgghghnghn

Toma

October is a new content record. Finally finished the game posts, which contain 47 released and 53 future games.

Need a help with rehosting images?

Done already, that character limit is just annoying, but I wouldnt mind if you had the time to look for the winner of the contest in this thread. :)

Hofmann

October is a new content record. Finally finished the game posts, which contain 47 released and 53 future games.

Done already, that character limit is just annoying, but I wouldnt mind if you had the time to look for the winner of the contest in this thread. :)

Ok, np. Search showed there's only 1 participant, but I'll take a look through it - maybe someone posted only a screen.

Toma

Toma

Shit! Forgot to post my screenshot for the contest :(

You have time until I post the new thread, so its probably another 3-4 hours if there are no complications and about 7-8 hours if it goes as I expect it to atm.

Besides, OFN would win a price anyway, because I had 2 prices this month. One for the winner and a random draw.

r3n4ud

Just post it, if you managed to beat my score then I think you deserve the prize. Winning by default isn't really my thing.
Didn't see that you posted yours. You beat me all to hell! I made it to level 30 with just over 13000 points. So, you win anyways! Congrats :)

Toma

Didn't see that you posted yours. You beat me all to hell! I made it to level 30 with just over 13000 points. So, you win anyways! Congrats :)

You should read that part of the OP again where it says how many prices are given out for this contest.

Toma

My gast is flabbered at the recent developments in our contestant count.

daydream

Banned
I'm probably late (sorry, very busy), but I'll post my top 10 anyway, in no particular order.

Spelunky: The gameplay is flawless, the level generator does an impressive job at creating fun worlds to play through (and die in), the multiplayer is pure mayhem, art & music are great - what is there not to like?

Papers, Please!: It is a mystery to me why this game is so engaging, but it is. The premise is pure genius.

Skullgirls: I'm pretty bad at fighting games, but I really enjoyed this one. The art is spectacular, it's got a cool vibe and a smooth soundtrack. I'm looking forward to the Kickstarter content.

Frogatto & Friends: Fun little platformer that harkens back to the classic era. Had a good time with it, even though I hate frogs.

Gone Home: A lot has been said and written about this. It's a really mature game with a lot of attention to detail, and a very important game that will hopefully inspire developers and storytellers going forward. I'll leave it at that.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons: There's a minimalistic quality to this that really jived with me. The way the story is told, the lack of UI, the clean and, at the same time, cartoony look. A really refreshing experience for me. Really interesting and solid puzzles in this one.

Shelter: I'll start out by saying: Pid looked and sounded amazing. The gameplay was terrible. One of the biggest disappointments of this generation for me. There's no doubt that it was made by talented people. Shelter is further proof of that. It reminded me of 'Papers, Please!' with its dense artistic direction and its outlandish premise, especially. Quite an emotional experience.

Guacamelee: A metroidvania with a phenomenal artstyle. And it looks great. Also, it's a metroidvania. That sums it up, I think. (The gameplay is completely serviceable, as well.)

A Good Husband: Very simple and short game. Here's why I liked it.

Slayin': I play the iOS version from time to time. A fun time waster and definitely one of those ''one more round!'' games.

Honorable mention:

Icarus Proudbottom Teaches Typing: Some good humour in this, got a few chuckles out of me. Basically the only reason this is noteworthy in my eyes.

------

Still need to go back and play some games that I just didn't have the time to jump into like Assault Android Cactus, Deios, Postmortem and some other stuff. It's been a good month.

It also received an update today.
Ah, so that's why it's discounted

Added Alt mode: depending on which settings you have activated, you can't get some achievements (late level 3 or challenge achievements).

- Added 3 planet sizes: Tiny, Small and Large. Large maps activate Alt mode.
- Added No pause mode, which disables Space-bar pause
- Added Titan mode, which disables loading a previous point in that game
- Added Speed mode: double giant speed and half cooldowns. Activates Alt mode.
- Added God mode: giants have immense HP. Activates Alt mode.
- Added Max mode: 4 Ambassadors on a giant give it all abilities on level 3. Activates Alt
mode.
- Added Random mode: You start out with 6 random ambassadors on the giants. Activates Alt mode.
- Added Explorer mode: Higher level assets have an extra bonus, so you are less likely to
get a weaker ecosystem when explore-transmuting. Activates Alt mode.

Toma

Quick votes:

Gone Home
Spelunky
Papers, Please!
Assault Android Cactus
Papo & Yo
DeioS
Sir, You are Being Hunted

Honorable mentions:
Everything else. Seriously, did you guys notice how many great games this month had? I wish I had more time to play those games, but we had 34 games that people voted on, completely crazy.

Honorable mentions:
Everything else. Seriously, did you guys notice how many great games this month had? I wish I had more time to play those games, but we had 34 games that people voted on, completely crazy.

Yeah, it was a good month. On my 5 point scale when I was doing my impressions it was very rare that anything dropped below a 3/5.

Quick votes:

Gone Home
Spelunky
Papers, Please!
Assault Android Cactus
Papo & Yo
DeioS
Sir, You are Being Hunted

Honorable mentions:

Is the next month games going to be this good? :D

Toma, is Full Bore in the October OP? It released this week and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I'll post my impressions in the new thread

How's the thread coming along, Toma? Oh and I found a good article for the Indie Thread to discuss (well more like get angry and rant at) but I'll wait for the October thread

I'm probably late (sorry, very busy), but I'll post my top 10 anyway, in no particular order.

Spelunky: The gameplay is flawless, the level generator does an impressive job at creating fun worlds to play through (and die in), the multiplayer is pure mayhem, art & music are great - what is there not to like?

Papers, Please!: It is a mystery to me why this game is so engaging, but it is. The premise is pure genius.

Skullgirls: I'm pretty bad at fighting games, but I really enjoyed this one. The art is spectacular, it's got a cool vibe and a smooth soundtrack. I'm looking forward to the Kickstarter content.

Frogatto & Friends: Fun little platformer that harkens back to the classic era. Had a good time with it, even though I hate frogs.

Gone Home: A lot has been said and written about this. It's a really mature game with a lot of attention to detail, and a very important game that will hopefully inspire developers and storytellers going forward. I'll leave it at that.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons: There's a minimalistic quality to this that really jived with me. The way the story is told, the lack of UI, the clean and, at the same time, cartoony look. A really refreshing experience for me. Really interesting and solid puzzles in this one.

Shelter: I'll start out by saying: Pid looked and sounded amazing. The gameplay was terrible. One of the biggest disappointments of this generation for me. There's no doubt that it was made by talented people. Shelter is further proof of that. It reminded me of 'Papers, Please!' with its dense artistic direction and its outlandish premise, especially. Quite an emotional experience.

Guacamelee: A metroidvania with a phenomenal artstyle. And it looks great. Also, it's a metroidvania. That sums it up, I think. (The gameplay is completely serviceable, as well.)

A Good Husband: Very simple and short game. Here's why I liked it.

Slayin': I play the iOS version from time to time. A fun time waster and definitely one of those ''one more round!'' games.

Honorable mention:

Icarus Proudbottom Teaches Typing: Some good humour in this, got a few chuckles out of me. Basically the only reason this is noteworthy in my eyes.

------

Still need to go back and play some games that I just didn't have the time to jump into like Assault Android Cactus, Deios, Postmortem and some other stuff. It's been a good month.

Great choices, loving all these Papers Please mentions.

DSix

Banned
edit: Ignore that post, I am not quite ready yet, I derped and hit the send button about the Proxy Blade campaign. I'll repost it in the October thread once the fundraiser is truly started.

Top Bottom