• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [September] Now Voting - Post 878!

It was Dark Souls. :)

Kickstarter soon, maybe within the next two weeks. I want to have it ready to go with a nice demo for the press, and maybe a new trailer as well.

It's about halfway to the top 100 on Greenlight, got a big boost after the previous top 100 passed. Thing is, there are barely any new visitors or votes since a week after launch. I hope the Kickstarter and general publicity campaign will boost that back up.
Awesome. A GAFfer-made procedurally generated horror game with a cool art style? Definitely going to back that :)

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Anything in the vein of super pole riders, nidhogg or baribariball. REally looking for some more small indie multiplayer games. I'm falling in love with this stuff. Can't wait for sportsfriends.

Impressions from the Opening Post - Part 2

Last post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=80167385&postcount=327

Finding Teddy
Not really my genre, but looked nice at least. This games an adventure game with heavy focus on exploring and none talking storytelling. The game looks great in motion with some rather nice animations on the sprites, but I found the nature of the world to be too focused on random wandering to suit an adventure game. An early puzzle involves finding a jar, then finding a waterfall and filling the jar and then finding a flower to water. At the end of this string of events I didn’t feel rewarded, I felt lucky that I randomly stumbled across all these items in the right order. Potentially interesting, but I’m not gonna follow this one.
3/5

Frogatto & Friends
Some game really need to let you remap controller layouts, this game is one of them, but that aside I found this to be a fairly enjoyable platformer. The game has a slight Kirby feel to it with your major attack being swallowing enemies and spitting them at their friends and also perhaps a bit of an open world Metroidvania-y aspect to it although the demo wouldn’t confirm if that was true, just suggest it. There is a slight danger in the full game that the gameplay would get a little repetitive but the controls are nice and tight and I love the look of world especially the main dude, him with an enemies in his belly is pretty adorable.
4/5

Gone Home
Keep this one short because I am not good at dancing round spoilers, but Gone Home is a mystery game where you wander round a house and read random notes to piece together this narrative. The notes themselves are all wonderfully produced and although there are certain clumsy things in the story, it’s still pretty great and I was left with a craving for more.
5/5

Guacamelee
Firstly, bonus points for having an amazing name. Guacamelee is a 2d brawler open world platformer where you walk about as a luchador and beat the crap out of skeletons in ponchos. The combats the special highlight for me, it has that great mix of being super simple and just chain out attacks but still just complete enough to feel rewarding and not like you are just doing the motions over and over. Great graphics, great gameplay, great game. Get it.
5/5

Icarus Proudbottom Teaches Typing
My first impressions of this were it’s a joke typing game with the humour being around the odd dialog between round and insane sentences they make you type. The humour never really hit too hard with me although the thing I really like about this is that it is actually a really fun typing game. Challanging yourself to hammer out these crazy sentences is actually rather addictive and I would recommend this one if you only have a moment.
4/5

Vancha

Life Goes On, a game where you may sacrifice your character, so that the next in line can use your dead body as an advantage.

It will be released in the beginning of 2014 on Steam for Windows, Mac and Linux. A casual and comedic platformer. It also has a demo

http://www.indiespotted.com/indie-spotted/impression-life-goes-on/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujNyR9s_Al4

ss_3f96a9676eef305fd251ea933201912dc68dc8c9.1920x1080.jpg

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Hofmann

Pretty good week altogether, will post the rest later, and sorry for the sloppiness, but MirrorMoon awaits:D

Umbrella - Umbrella is an emotional, atmospheric story following the journey of a lone, young woman who travels through a city in an attempt to reveal a painful forgotten past and to discover what exactly has happened to the world.

The Town of Light - The Town of Light is a first-person horror game based on real life events. It talks about Asylum and their patients, often treated like animals or objects.
You will be able to live their stories, their fears, their dreams to never forget.

Autopret - Autopret is a result of a passion project about autonomous traffic and sandbox games. Autopret has no objective, and no win or lose condition. This game is about escapism, exploration, and simply having fun.

Time Frame - In Time Frame you explore a world that is moving in slow motion. Experience 10 seconds in the span of 10 minutes. It is a strange, abandoned place with a startling ending.

Temple of Ogrosh - Mighty red rocks of volcanic basalt rise to the foundation. Grotesque masks greenish stone growl. Huge chains, and black iron lances adobbano the walls. Stay away! This is the temple of Ogrosh!

Halfway - Halfway is a turn-based strategy game taking place a few hundred years in the future. You take control of a small group of people who are witnesses to a violent overtake of their spaceship by an unknown species.

Anything in the vein of super pole riders, nidhogg or baribariball. REally looking for some more small indie multiplayer games. I'm falling in love with this stuff. Can't wait for sportsfriends.

Sounds like you might be interested in Samurai Gunn if you hadn't heard about it yet. I'm not sure of an actual date yet, but it's been announced to be releasing on PC, PS4, and Vita.

Hofmann

Gif heavy batch coming your way!

42 Stories - 42 Stories is a game where you and and your opponent build to reach heaven. You can build using different blocks and advance to new ages while you're doing so.

Toryansé - Graphic adventure game about a woman in the midst of an existential crisis who follows a mysterious stranger she meets on the train home.
The game itself is language-agnostic and all information is conveyed through illustrated thought and speech bubbles.

Anonymous Messages - You are lost in a bizarre looking forest. You can't remember anything… and you have to collect the 6 recording tapes, each one with a weird Anonymous Message, these tapes help you to recover some parts of your memory... But it doesn't end there, you have to watch your heart... And the forest itself!

EXILED - 2.5D Action Platformer focused on Fighting combat like combos and special moves and some RPG elements.

Machinist-Fabrique - Solve puzzles by graphically programming machines and stretch your mind! Snap together instructions to make programs that tick like swiss army knives!

Echoes of the Wilds - The basic premise is it's wilderness survival with randomised elements, discovering varying areas to exploit resources and make items to ease your basic needs as well as oddities to uncover special areas.

Eidolon - An upcoming exploration game set in the distantly apocalyptic Western Washington. Eidolon is about curiosity, history, and interconnectedness.

Hofmann

Motherfu... GH:OST, I mean The Stanley Parable will be released next month!
http://www.stanleyparable.com/2013/09/pax-release-dates-and-other-stuff/

In other news, Eidolon sounds rad.

You will be dropped into the dreary and mystical Western Washington circa 2400 c.e. with a bow, fishing rod, and little to guide your way. Awaiting you is a vast landscape filled with wildlife, edible plants, and the historical artefacts of our now-dead culture—journals, newspapers, zines, brochures, transcripts, and more. You must spend your fleeting moments moving through this place, collecting what was left behind, and piecing together what happened to these people, both from a historical perspective and from a much more personal one.

I played up until the first save, so about 30 minutes. So far the game is pretty good. Definitely a high quality game.

The art is very well done.

The combat system is interesting. It appears that it will get much deeper. You can't really mash buttons, it's more a matter of timing your strikes correctly in between blocking. You also have magic spells.

You can customize your stats and which stats you upgrade as you gain levels and points.

There are skill upgrades.

There is equipment.

The platforming is a little different than I'm used to, but it's rock solid. The jumping mechanic is tight, and there is a ledge grab mechanic that works better than any other ledge grab mechanic I've come across. It's actually pretty good, and I personally hate the ledge grab.

Definitely appears to be worth the $15 asking price. Obviously the game has heavy SotN influences.

The Long Dark - Kickstarter on September 16th

Welcome to The Long Dark, the inaugural title from Hinterland, a new independent game studio comprised of veteran developers from the triple-A game industry.

- Be on the lookout for potential supply caches, all the while using survival skills to overcome hazards introduced by harsh weather, wildlife, lack of food and water, other survivors, and the mysterious aurorae that add unpredictability to an already extreme situtation.

- Deep survival simulation gameplay where every decision matters. Explore a large open world in search of resources, and balance Condition and Willpower against the needs of your daily survival.

- Morally challenging scenarios that push players to answer the question: “How far will you go to survive?”. Any survivor you meet in the world can be friend or foe.

- Survival Story mode provides hours of narrative-driven exploration gameplay...Survival Sandbox mode provides potentially hundreds of hours of free-form survival gameplay where you push yourself and your skill to last as long as possible in a variety of survival scenarios.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Could get around to finishing some old things now that I have a computer again. Keyword: 'could'.

I am kinda glad we started the voting from the first thread on for these kind of occasions. Makes it easy for people who missed out on a certain month to get the most important releases at least.

I guess we can't say PC is the only place where indies thrive anymore. Sony and PS4 really have gathered an awesome indie line-up. If indies weren't getting exposure before...that's all going to change come November. IMO, it seems like indies have gotten more attention than the AAA games

Oh, and Teslagrad is going to be on PS3. Awesome

allansm

I guess we can't say PC is the only place where indies thrive anymore. Sony and PS4 really have gathered an awesome indie line-up. If indies weren't getting exposure before...that's all going to change come November. IMO, it seems like indies have gotten more attention than the AAA games

Oh, and Teslagrad is going to be on PS3. Awesome

I don't really think indies in general will get that much exposure on the PS4 to be honest. I bet things will mostly continue to be as they are now, with a few lucky indies being praised and getting press attention while the majority is ignored. The only change I see at the moment is that it's becoming easier for indies to release their games on consoles.

Damn. Timed exclusive, I hope.

So do I. I truly despise "moneyhatting" and I am determined to boycott any indie dev that turns any previously announced PC game in a PS4 exclusive (with the exception of timed exclusives). Exclusivity needs to die. Every indie game should be available in every platform that it is financially viable to release on.

Volt by Quantized Bit - releasing November
IndieDB page
Trailer
Alpha Gameplay

Looks really fun, my kind of game.
You play as a battery that must escape from the recycling facility and your goal on each level is to reach the exit by using a limited number of the electric beams. You can cut the beam or connect it to the wall if there's any within a range, but that's not the only way to control the battery.
You can also release the shock wave - doing this drains your energy, but it helps you to push off the walls or jump if touching the ground.

Full game will feature:
- 80+ levels in 4 different zones
- boss fights
- unlockable levels
- unlockable characters

sc6.png

pc2.png

DSix

Banned
So do I. I truly despise "moneyhatting" and I am determined to boycott any indie dev that turns any previously announced PC game in a PS4 exclusive (with the exception of timed exclusives). Exclusivity needs to die. Every indie game should be available in every platform that it is financially viable to release on.

Many times those games would not have been made at all, if not for some much needed "money hatting" help. Beggars can't be choosers.

Toma

While I am not fond of exclusivity either, look at it this way:

If Unfinished Swan hadnt been picked up by Sony, it would never have become the game it is now regarding content, scope and polish. Is it really bad to have publishers throw money at Indies so they can make the project in a way that wouldnt have been possible without the money? "Moneyhatting" makes it sound like they just throw money at the devs to get the rights, and while that does exist, there are also cases in which Sony for example is way more involved than that Unfinished Swan were 2 people I believe who got money AND a dev team by Sony to help making the game. I am very glad I can play these games in that state if it wouldnt have reached that state without the help of a publisher.

sheaaaa

I don't really think indies in general will get that much exposure on the PS4 to be honest. I bet things will mostly continue to be as they are now, with a few lucky indies being praised and getting press attention while the majority is ignored. The only change I see at the moment is that it's becoming easier for indies to release their games on consoles.

Don't you think your two points may have something in common?

Indie devs often need any exposure they can get, and the few "lucky" indies that get exposure on PS4/X1 often have it because they are exclusives, as a trade off.

I'm all for exclusivity if it means a game gets the means to be fully realised and completed, and gets the exposure and financial success it deserves. Wanting every indie game available on every platform is a childish fantasy.

Hofmann

If Infinite Swan hadnt been picked up by Sony, it would never have become the game it is now regarding content, scope and polish. Is it really bad to have publishers throw money at Indies so they can make the project in a way that wouldnt have been possible without the money? "Moneyhatting" makes it sound like they just throw money at the devs to get the rights, and while that does exist, there are also cases in which Sony for example is way more involved than that. Infinite Swan were 2 people I believe who got money AND a dev team by Sony to help making the game. I am very glad I can play these games in that state if it wouldnt have reached that state without the help of a publisher.

I think you mean Unfinished Swan, and yeah, I agree absolutely with what you wrote. I guess that Allansm is hinting at The Chinese Room and their 'betrayal' with Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. I really can't see how could they afford to create a game with a similar scope and polish to Journey for example, through Kickstrater campaign. I won't judge them, because I would do the same being in their shoes, having a chance to fulfill their artistic vision without a need to compromise.

Toma

I think you mean Unfinished Swan, and yeah, I agree absolutely with what you wrote. I guess that Allansm is hinting at The Chinese Room and their 'betrayal' with Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. I really can't see how could they afford to create a game with a similar scope and polish to Journey for example, through Kickstrater campaign. I won't judge them, because I would do the same being in their shoes, having a chance to fulfill their artistic vision without a need to compromise.

Thanks for the correction.

I don't really understand the animosity towards the devs who decided to make their games exclusives or timed exclusives on PS4. A chance to work with Sony and a bigger budget, to make your game known and available to a wider audience who will be interested in the new, unique IPs available on next gen? If I was a dev, that's a chance I definitely wouldn't want to pass up.

We've seen time and time again that exposure is one of an indie dev's greatest obstacles. So to be part of the PS4 launch/launch window line up can probably do more for these dev' financially and for their future in the gaming industry than anything else.

Nabs

I'm not a fan of exclusive deals as a gamer, but I understand why they are done.

This was posted in the Indie Game Dev thread. It's pretty fun for such an early game:

Alright, I think it's about time I wrote about it. Introducing

, the world's first first-person time-moves-only-when-you-move shooter*. To explain it simply, it's The Matrix meets Hotline Miami meets a little bit of Braid. You can just stop moving in the middle of the room, look around, see where the enemies are and then decide on the best course of action (which usually involves deciding on which guy you'll shoot first). Take your time, you have as much as you want.

Play SUPERHOT on our website

The game was initially created in Unity during the 7DFPS game jam, and then extra-polished for the WGK 2013 conference, where we snatched the first prize in the Developer Showcase competition. The original version of the game has also been featured on Rock, Paper, Shotgun, IndieStatik and GiantBomb.

If you'd like to know more about where we're headed with the game, submit some feedback (we do love getting feedback from the players) or just ask some questions about the game/Unity, tweet/follow us at @superhotthegame or just drop me an e-mail at spierek@superhotgame.com. Thanks in advance.

*actually, the time moves very, very slowly when you're not moving, but "time-moves-only-slightly-when-you're-not-moving shooter" is not as marketable

Burt

Why should indies have to release on every platform and non-indies not? And how do we even determine financially viable?

I'm not a fan of exclusive deals as a gamer, but I understand why they are done.

This was posted in the Indie Game Dev thread. It's pretty fun for such an early game:
Whoa, they really polished the game since 7DFPS. Superhot and Beyond Perception were my favorites so this is really cool

rybrad

Anyone in the beta for Eldritch and have any thoughts? It looks really cool but when these games are $15 with no demo it is really hard for me to jump in. Too many games have looked promising and then end up being wasted money.

Toma

Anyone in the beta for Eldritch and have any thoughts? It looks really cool but when these games are $15 with no demo it is really hard for me to jump in. Too many games have looked promising and then end up being wasted money.

"Until proven otherwise, stay away from any Block-style game that is not Minecraft.", has a sometimes wise man once said.

Burt

"Until proven otherwise, stay away from any Block-style game that is not Minecraft.", has a sometimes wise man once said.

That's absolutely right, but something about the music in that trailer gets me. I don't know why, but I love it and it makes me want to play the game.

allansm

If Unfinished Swan hadnt been picked up by Sony, it would never have become the game it is now regarding content, scope and polish. Is it really bad to have publishers throw money at Indies so they can make the project in a way that wouldnt have been possible without the money? "Moneyhatting" makes it sound like they just throw money at the devs to get the rights, and while that does exist, there are also cases in which Sony for example is way more involved than that Unfinished Swan were 2 people I believe who got money AND a dev team by Sony to help making the game. I am very glad I can play these games in that state if it wouldnt have reached that state without the help of a publisher.

It's not that I'm against publishers throwing money at indies, I'm against Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft throwing money at them to make their games exclusive to their system. I do understand the devs perspective and I agree that in many occasions the financial help exclusivity guarantees them is an unrefusable offer, but that does not make me tolerate exclusivity. Like I said, I despise exclusivity, and I feel that if I want it to end I need to do something. And I can't see any other option besides boycotting devs that agree to an exclusivity deal.

I guess that Allansm is hinting at The Chinese Room and their 'betrayal' with Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.

I wasn't hinting at them actually. But I do admit their case really annoyed me as I was looking forward to their game and now I'm a little oversensitive to any news regarding Indies and exclusivity to the PS4 as a result. If Pavilion will also be available on PC and other platforms, even if a few months after the PS4 release, than I'm honestly happy for the devs. Otherwise, I must say I have no sympathy for them.

Why should indies have to release on every platform and non-indies not? And how do we even determine financially viable?

We are talking about indie games here so that's why I mentioned only indies. But I do think the same about non-indie games with the exception of first party titles. But keep in mind that I'm talking about "moneyhatted" games, those that get financial help to guarantee exclusivity. If a dev thinks that his game should be released only on PS4 for whatever reason besides Sony paying him to do so, that's fine. And with financial viable I mean: is it profitable to port the game to a given platform?

Hofmann

It's not that I'm against publishers throwing money at indies, I'm against Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft throwing money at them to make their games exclusive to their system

That doesn't make much sense - this is not a charity. If they pump few million $ into a project, how could they not keep it exclusive to their platform.

rybrad

Hard to argue with that considering how many shit games use the style. I was hoping because of the dev experience the actual gameplay might turn out good. My crippling weakness for roguelike(like) games always makes me far too interested in intriguing looking ones.

Top Bottom