• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [September] Now Voting - Post 878!

NZNova

I'm curious about Godus but it's pretty pricey on Steam, I hear grumblings of an in game shop, and I'm not sure whether it's going to be a F2P game when it's released. I'd like to give it a try, but I'm not gonna throw $20 if it's going to be free and pester me for more cash when it comes out. Does anyone know for sure what the story is?

CzarTim

I'm curious about Godus but it's pretty pricey on Steam, I hear grumblings of an in game shop, and I'm not sure whether it's going to be a F2P game when it's released. I'd like to give it a try, but I'm not gonna throw $20 if it's going to be free and pester me for more cash when it comes out. Does anyone know for sure what the story is?

My understanding was the iOS version would be f2p, and not the pc version. For now I think the gems you can buy are more of a time saver than a necessity. And they might be removed completely.

Patrick Klepek's Worth Playing 09/13/2013 (if you haven't been watching this feature, what are you doing?!)

Featured games in order:
Probe Team (10 second ludum dare)
9eb2235211d546a7589b81eb444afc93.jpg

Spent like 2 hours in a 10 second game, it's quite big. It's very hard, even when feathering like a motherfucker. Get to the conveyor belt, and that's when it gets insane.
iKpOm30v4GyWR.gif

I think the end goal is the battery...which I can't get to!
iqcRBe96dpVrz.jpg

tumblr_m6axgxYPry1robh3ho1_250.gif

Every 10 Seconds A Window Washer Falls To His Death
PreviewLD.jpg

This becomes a multi-tasking affair since you need to take care of the ropes of the window washers and also the birds who come at various angles. My strategy was to maintain the ropes and only attack birds who were definitely in line to attack a washer. IT'S HARD. If someone can complete Chaos Mode, I salute you!

Boson X
ibhvIFLqtJL4QE.gif

iyt5qZmXh3gpY.gif

Boson X is one of the best runner games I've played. It gives me a lot of nostalgia for this 90s PC land speeder ship game with similar polygon art style that was pretty popular in school (can't remember the name). It gets fucking insane, as you can see in my GIFs. Thanks More_Badass for recommending it a while ago, hope your ban ends soon.

The Note
ilqiNffWGEAWi.gif

Interactive poetry game. Reminds me of Bientot lete. I haven't found the second ending yet.

Utopia
lagoon.gif

There's nothing much to this other than GIFs and text with not even a branching narrative like Depression Quest or other Twines, but hey it's only a minute long and there's pretty music. Twines are a cool way for anyone (literally) to make a text adventure game.

Strata

Cool tile puzzle game, beautiful music. It's out on iPhone now, which seems the preferred way of playing.

Some more interesting stuff this post. A good few games I didn't know anything about and was just jumping in totally blind.

Impressions from the Opening Post – Part 4

Last Post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=81463445&postcount=630

Pid
Nice concept and looks great. But I just can’t get over how sticky the jumping and general movement. I found the game just began to become increasingly frustrating once it started demanding more platforming precision that the controls gave you.
3/5

Procyon
A reasonably standard side on shooter. Has good snappy controls and the guns are fairly enjoyable to use. The unique thing is your ship has a rapidly regenerating shield which if you fire when it is up you get empowered shots that seem like the only way to destroy some of the larger foes before they fly off screen. The problems with it are I found the ship designs to be really dull and uninspired and the general graphics are very plain with the only exception being some of the weapon effects. The empowered version of your lightning gun type thing looks pretty awesome as it cuts through the enemies. Overall, I enjoyed it though and if you are a shooter fan who can look past the slightly cheap look graphics then I think you might get a lot out of it too.
4/5

qrth-phyl – Didn’t Buy
-/5

Savant Ascent – Diodn’t Buy
Although I might in time, see how much time I have before the end of the month.
-/5

Schein
Schein is a puzzle platformer where you can alter the environment around you by shining different lights on them. It’s not completely unlike Closure. It’s not a completely horrible concept but dimension jumping is done so much in puzzle platformers, I couldn’t help but be a little bored by it. They begin to experiment with the different lights to form puzzles but it just didn’t go crazy enough to grab my interest. Also it took all of existence to install and start up which was a bit odd.
3/5

Shelter
Sir, You are being hunted
Skullgirls
Didn’t purchase any of these
-/5

skyRogue
In its current state skyRogue is a survival flight arcade sim that throws you into a box area with a bunch of enemies. I really like the simple art style although it does present this problem that is in a lot of flight sims where it feels like you are just not moving with any speed which is only emphasized by the fact that you are annoying sluggish in this game. There is a simple enjoyment to this game, but the slow plane combined with just the feeling of inability once the missiles start flying at you made this thing not something I would go back to.
3/5

Slayin'
Solid concept and controls well, but just a little simple for me. The main problem of Slayin’ is you just have so much health, the game lasts longer but it takes away any sense of danger and stress. By the time you are getting overwhelmed by the enemies I found myself wanting to get overwhelmed simply to put as end to the game.
2/5

I also remembered we have a highscore competition going on for this game. So this is my best result.

Slying%20Highscore.png

That's 28306 with 2 bosses down.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Since I know people who frequent this thread might be interested and the Sokobond OT is already off the first page, a heads up: I'm raffling off a copy of Sokobond. You've got about 2 hours and 40 minutes to enter.

Even if you see this post too late, you might want to check the thread; if nobody enters the raffle before it ends it becomes a first-come-first-serve-type deal and you could still get it.

Hofmann

As always on Sunday I pick up few screenshots that grabbed my attention, from the unreleased games, shared by their developers throughout the weekend on Twitter and other less visited places.

White Space - White Space is intended to be a modern "roguelike-like" take on the early 3D games, set on the surfaces of procedurally generated planets.

Beyond eyes - A game where you play a blind girl who visualizes the world through exploring with touch, sound and scent.

Amber Throne - Turn-based RPG with a painted theme, taking place in a desert-world with an ancient castle looming far above.

Spark Rising - Sandbox action strategy game where you build fortresses and fight back against an invasion. You can build fortresses, weapons, creatures with our voxel game engine, and then take all that into battle. Imagine a game where you can explore and conquer floating fortresses across the galaxy created via user generated content.

Future Unfolding - Future Unfolding lets you explore a world filled with life, both beautiful and dangerous. The world is procedurally generated, and each play-through allows you to experience a new and different layout.

Goscurry - Try to go as far as you can by piloting a ship on an infinite road, suspended over a stylized and eerie landscape, while taking sharp corners and evading hazards.

Hofmann

Saturated Dreamers - Open-world adventure game set on Lake, a sentient ice planet that holds many secrets from expeditionists Mercedes and co. Players assume control of the Leda, a ship equipped with unique gadgets that can be used to solve puzzles, befriend creatures, and purify Lake's waters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhAWhN-w84Y

Temporus - Space shooter combined with an adventure game, similar to Air Fortress and Master Blaster.

9.03m - The game draws upon the disaster that affected many people in Japan in 2011, the tsunami caused by the Tōhoku earthquake. It aims to remember those who passed away in the tsunami as individuals, as opposed to numerical data often found in news articles.

Morss: ɯnʇıuıɟuı p∀ - You may know his works from the Experiment12 and other games I tried to smuggle here before - this is probably something along those lines.

The Abyss - Looks like a side-scroller set in a world deep under the sea. More info coming soon.

? - It's a survival sim from the creator of Icefishing V, so you can expect it to have an amazing sound design.

flowsnake

Hexcells Impressions - Combines elements of Minesweeper and Picross; made by Matthew Brown (Sentinel).

I'm having a good time with it so far and it's only $3. There are 29 puzzles, which seems reasonable to me, especially with the later ones being quite hard (I'm currently stuck on one).

John Walker is quite taken with it.

Ashodin

Recent development GIFs of APEXICON:

9fFKhbo.gif

skillcdapexicon0qkm0.gif

I have much more working now, such as letters lighting up when you get them for the first skill you see on the bar.

honorless

I got super excited for this after reading your post and skimming John's impressions and bought it right away. It is a good idea that combines its inspirations in some interesting ways, and was a pleasant experience overall...but if you're keen on logic puzzles and have done a fair number of them you will blast through it in a very short period of time.

I'm not entirely sure how long I spent with the game because I was multitasking while playing (did some household chores, cooked and ate dinner with my fiancé, played a little 3DS, some screwing around on the internet, yada yada) ...but I downloaded it three hours ago and am now 100% done.

Yes, it's only $3, and that's a fair price for what you get, but I personally would have preferred to pay more for a longer and/or more challenging experience. 3/5.

klinkcow

Neo Member
Boson X is one of the best runner games I've played. It gives me a lot of nostalgia for this 90s PC land speeder ship game with similar polygon art style that was pretty popular in school (can't remember the name). It gets fucking insane, as you can see in my GIFs. Thanks More_Badass for recommending it a while ago, hope your ban ends soon.

Oh dear lord, what game are you talking about... The name is on the tip of my tongue...what the hell was that called.

you jump from platform to platform.

They even had a holiday themed version, right?

Wok

I now have an account on LA game space. I will try to check some of the games this evening, but I may have to wait until next week for some work related reasons.

flowsnake

I got super excited for this after reading your post and skimming John's impressions and bought it right away. It is a good idea that combines its inspirations in some interesting ways, and was a pleasant experience overall...but if you're keen on logic puzzles and have done a fair number of them you will blast through it in a very short period of time.

I'm not entirely sure how long I spent with the game because I was multitasking while playing (did some household chores, cooked and ate dinner with my fiancé, played a little 3DS, some screwing around on the internet, yada yada) ...but I downloaded it three hours ago and am now 100% done.

Yes, it's only $3, and that's a fair price for what you get, but I personally would have preferred to pay more for a longer and/or more challenging experience. 3/5.

Fair enough. I probably wouldn't have bought it or feel hugely satisfied with it unless it was so cheap. I tried to make it clear it was short but sweet in my post.

honorless

Fair enough. I probably wouldn't have bought it or feel hugely satisfied with it unless it was so cheap. I tried to make it clear it was short but sweet in my post.
Oh, I hope you didn't think I was criticizing your impressions or anything! I just like leaving my opinion(s) in the thread in the rare event that someone will find them enlightening or helpful.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Oh, I hope you didn't think I was criticizing your impressions or anything! I just like leaving my opinion(s) in the thread in the rare event that someone will find them enlightening or helpful.

Did you play Sentinel?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=596791

Its from the same developer if you feel like playing something more meaty and challenging from him. You can read some impressions by people on the last 2 pages of the thread.

flowsnake

No, it's all good. Definitely worth having more impressions, you just seemed let down by it. I really hope he comes up with more puzzles eventually, I like the "ruleset" a lot.

I'll probably try Sentinel next since I already own it from a while ago. I remember trying the demo and being frustrated, so probably worth giving it a chance.

Sokobond looks like it might scratch a similar itch too, but that's $10 so not really an impulse buy price for me.

honorless

Did you play Sentinel?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=596791

Its from the same developer if you feel like playing something more meaty and challenging from him. You can read some impressions by people on the last 2 pages of the thread.
That thread was one of the reasons I nabbed it during the IGS deal. :)
But I've been on a platformer and puzzle game kick for...wow, basically the past two months (!) so I haven't gotten around to it.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Anyone here willing to do some playtesting for my game, Malebolgia? I have a demo, that should take about an hour to finish, that I want people to try out and give feedback on.

Shoot me a PM or reply here if you're interested.

And here's the Greenlight page with info on the game: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=157945114 (don't have a proper stand-alone site yet)

*raises hand*

What info you want mostly? Bugs? UI/User Experience? Gameplay Feedback? Possibly all of the above?

Dascu

*raises hand*

What info you want mostly? Bugs? UI/User Experience? Gameplay Feedback? Possibly all of the above?

Everything. :p

Though mostly gameplay feedback. Like, what do you think of the controls? Is the combat too difficult/too easy? How many dozen times did you die to the boss?

I imagine you have a Steam account? Add me (same as my user name) for easier communication.

Toma

Everything. :p

Though mostly gameplay feedback. Like, what do you think of the controls? Is the combat too difficult/too easy? How many dozen times did you die to the boss?

I imagine you have a Steam account? Add me (same as my user name) for easier communication.

Black and white slug-head-child-warrior as avatar? Added. Contact me when you are online :)

Anyone here willing to do some playtesting for my game, Malebolgia? I have a demo, that should take about an hour to finish, that I want people to try out and give feedback on.

Shoot me a PM or reply here if you're interested.

And here's the Greenlight page with info on the game: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=157945114 (don't have a proper stand-alone site yet)

If you need a 2nd, I would love to help. I can be honestly critical with my feedback if you need that.

Wok

There will soon be an update of Spyparty which allows you to play with the new artworks (on a single level).

honorless

Oh no, since Detective_Badass is banned we didn't find out what the IGS deal was ahead of time!

It's a platformer called Angvik. Hand drawn 2D. You get a single life to play through the game (it is apparently quite short if you know what you're doing). At the beginning of each game you select a class, which seems to change your weapon(s) and appearance ala Mega Man's enemy weapons. Arvoesine is the bonus.

That's all Greek Roman/Old Norse to me, but I nabbed both because eh why not.

Toma

Oh no, since Detective_Badass is banned we didn't find out what the IGS deal was ahead of time!

It's a platformer called Angvik. Hand drawn 2D. You get a single life to play through the game (it is apparently quite short if you know what you're doing). At the beginning of each game you select a class, which seems to change your weapon(s) and appearance ala Mega Man's enemy weapons. Arvoesine is the bonus.

That's all Greek Roman/Old Norse to me, but I nabbed both because eh why not.

Mr_Badass is back soon.

Tom Francis tweeted about The Last Tango:
iKKgGdQc4k1fD.jpg

So I played it and I liked it.

Here's a video of me playing it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nZtw-md9Jc
And here's a GIF:
ibuR9AdvItfKwM.gif

There are 12 tiles, and the dancers take up 2 squares so you have 6 spaces to go around. There are three types of dangers: left and right enemies, top enemies that are faster kills if you are below them, and of course the trap doors below.

The furthest I've got to is the space station. The unpredictable trap doors are the most cruel part of the game because they keep on moving and sometimes you just want to stick in one position but it can come below you.

And I have returned from exile! Pulling myself away from GTA V to make up for my absence...
--
I backed Hyper Light Drifter
I've discovered the joys of Kickstarter. My first backing and the whole experience has been awesome. Watching the funds just pour in, waiting for new updates, knowing you've helping a developer's dream become reality...it's a great feeling. I think I'm hooked :)
---
Volgarr The Viking impressions
I was hesitant to get this but the great user impressions and reviews convinced me. And I am not disappointed. The retro games that inspired Volgarr may be before my time but as a fan of Dark Souls and tough platforming, I feel right at home.

The controls are super tight and responsive and the platforming and level design is brutal but never unfair. The combat is the highlight for me though. I haven't felt so satisfied with combat in a game since well...Dark Souls. Every enemy must be taken seriously because every hit is dangerous. The smooth control and animations combine to make you feel like a Viking badass in every encounter. Combat isn't a button mashing affair; button mashing will only get you killed faster. Instead every fight is a combination of timing, reflexes, and split second reactions.

Do you have enough time to charge your spear to skewer that group of enemy? Is it smarter to dodge behind them and gain some breathing room? Timing your attacks to avoid getting hit yourself and recognizing the strength of each enemy and adapting your strategy according to what enemies you'll be facing also enhances the combat. What equipment you have or don't have also affects how you fight.

Each level is varied as are the enemies and there's quite a bit of replay value. Six worlds to play through, with alternate levels to play if you don't die as much and a seventh world that is only unlocked for most skilled of players. Even better, you can activate a speedrun mode if you want to test your skills in that way
---
Freeware recommendation: Impulse
Site
Trailer
Picture a mash-up of Super Meat Boy and Lunar Lander. Or N+ meets Asteroids. That’s Impulse.

The premise is simple. You need to guide your craft to the exit point of each level, avoiding the various obstacles and bad guys.

impulse-feat.png
---
Windforge
Greenlight
Trailer
Windforge is a building-block RPG that mixes 2D-shooter action with the freedom to create and explore. Players will take to the skies in fully buildable airships, as they embark on a journey of discovery and survival that will take them to the heart of the world and beyond.

Windforge is all about freedom, creativity, and chaotic emergent action. Basically everything you see can be created or destroyed, creating an RPG without barriers that rewards creative problem solving and improvisation.

637x358.resizedimage

637x358.resizedimage
---
Volt and One Finger Death Punch available to preorder on Desura
I'll post Volt impressions tomorrow but I can say that One Finger Death Punch is definitely worth the $1.99. I got it on XBIG and it is absolutely fantastic. Tons of content and variety, different modes, skills to unlock, simple controls that hide quite a bit of depth, and just fun addictive gameplay.

Recent development GIFs of APEXICON:

9fFKhbo.gif

skillcdapexicon0qkm0.gif

I have much more working now, such as letters lighting up when you get them for the first skill you see on the bar.

Nice to see your game evolving so much!

And I have returned from exile! Pulling myself away from GTA V to make up for my absence...
--
I backed Hyper Light Drifter

---
Volgarr The Viking impressions

---
Freeware recommendation: Impulse

---
Windforge

---
Volt and One Finger Death Punch available to preorder on Desura

Welcome back!

Yay, More_Badass is back! Why did you get banned? GTA V threads?

I think I'll buy Volgarr the Viking soon, great impressions about the combat. Come to think of it, haven't played many 2D games with strategy required for the combat other than Guacamelee (Dust AET became super easy when you had Fidget fully levelled up).

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Today I finished VESPER.5 which some people here started with me in march or maybe april. It took me 126 days.
Q6MECeZ.png

It's a grid-based game where you can move once a day and that's pretty much all you need to know.
It started as more of a nuisance because I'd often forget about and miss opportunities to progress but later on it became a habit and eventually turned into sort of a journey.
The game shows you the path you've chosen every single time before you can move forward so the more you play it the more time you spend in the game. It also reminds you of all the paths unchosen and all the stuff you've seen along the way. For some reason I found the overall experience to be profound.
I'd definitely recommend it to anyone since it takes up to maybe 2 minutes of your time a day. IMO playing with someone you can compare your path with and who can remind you to actually play it also goes a long way.
Here's a link to the game

Yay, More_Badass is back! Why did you get banned? GTA V threads?

I think I'll buy Volgarr the Viking soon, great impressions about the combat. Come to think of it, haven't played many 2D games with strategy required for the combat other than Guacamelee (Dust AET became super easy when you had Fidget fully levelled up).
Yeah, basically. There were my last posts before getting banned
Okay, I had to peek again...
Melee...
Okay, I can resist...
+1
Short Vine clips are cool, I don't even mind finally reading about the wanted levels (!!!!!!!!!!!), but random events and mission titles are too much
Didn't even notice that
Anyone who says the game/city/map is too small is in for a rude awakening on Tuesday
I guess that was considered too spoiler-y for the OT thread. But hey, I'm back. Considering backing Sunless Sea on Kickstarter, made a thread about it.

Today I finished VESPER.5 which some people here started with me in march or maybe april. It took me 126 days.
Q6MECeZ.png

It's a grid-based game where you can move once a day and that's pretty much all you need to know.
It started as more of a nuisance because I'd often forget about and miss opportunities to progress but later on it became a habit and eventually turned into sort of a journey.
The game shows you the path you've chosen every single time before you can move forward so the more you play it the more time you spend in the game. It also reminds you of all the paths unchosen and all the stuff you've seen along the way. For some reason I found the overall experience to be profound.
I'd definitely recommend it to anyone since it takes up to maybe 2 minutes of your time a day. IMO playing with someone you can compare your path with and who can remind you to actually play it also goes a long way.

I totally forgot about this game. I was playing it daily but I had to do a travel and didn't take the laptop with me.

Burt

Anyone have any impressions from the RPGs currently on Bundle in a Box? It's Unemployment Quest, Siege of the Necromancer, Hack Slash Loot, Styrateg, Inaria, Dungeon Fray, Empires & Dungeons 2, Frayed Knights. BTA is CoC: The Wasted Land, The Wizard from Tarnath Tor, Northmark: Hour of the Wolf, The Wizard's Lair, and Telepath RPG.

There doesn't really look to be anything up my alley, but I want to believe at least one of them is a hidden gem.

Q6MECeZ.png

If you haven't already, you should check out some of Michael Brough's other games. Particularly Glitch Tank (if you have someone else to play with, iOS only), Zaga-33, Corrypt, and 868-HACK (if you have an iOS device, PC version coming later). He's become one of my favorite indie developers.

Momentary

Banned
Trying to spread the word. I already posted in the Steam thread and I'm probably headed to its own thread. Hyper Light Drifter is finally on Greenlight. It was on the pre-Greenlight thing earlier. Go vote for this game now! I need this like I needed Rogue Legacy in my library.

9966ed679c84b8d97846724643acc29e_large.gif

Trying to spread the word. I already posted in the Steam thread and I'm probably headed to its own thread. Hyper Light Drifter is finally on Greenlight. It was on the pre-Greenlight thing earlier. Go vote for this game now! I need this like I needed Rogue Legacy in my library.

9966ed679c84b8d97846724643acc29e_large.gif
Finally. I backed it last week, good that it finally has an actual Greenlight page

---
New Windforge gameplay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2qSSja3XcI

Yes, you can make an airship out of a whale corpse

Top Bottom