• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [September] Now Voting - Post 878!

Hofmann

Don't get me wrong, the games idea seems interesting and if it was more developed could have caugh my attention. I found strange she could be mad with you about everything you tried to do for her (cook, watching tv with her etc).
Then after she being mad for so much time, she could reward me when I went upstairs.

Being able to let the toilet seat up and losting points for it was fun. :D

And it's ok to post screenshots of your new project in this thread.

When did it happen - I really can't remember that part.
There is one nearing the end, but it was not you being rewarded... or did I miss something.

And for what it's worth I prefer A Good Husband, with its silly caricatural everyday setting, over TKotW's action fillers.

Since it's okay I uploaded a small album of shots I took tonight:

http://imgur.com/a/wC3WJ
The game is unfinished and the ship is mostly empty, so try to look past the dull empty gray as I'm going to put more effort into that later once the gameplay is mostly on the finished side. It's a FPS with a little bit of stealth (you can disable enemies without shooting them, hide in vents and closets, etc) with a focus on a few main puzzles and storytelling told through audiologs and emails (probably cliché by now but it's too late to turn back). In addition to Deus Ex this game is heavily inspired by the film Solaris and System Shock 2. Those were my inspirations anyway, the writer has his own. And his is where the name Xanadu name from, which is the name of the ship and what we're calling the game.

The description and thescreenshots looks nice! Keep us informed about how the game develops.

I wanted to re-introduce my game Heroes of a Broken Land - I posted it here about 4 months ago when it was first released, and now it's just been released as Beta and put on Greenlight.

It's a procedural dungeon crawler with a world and town management layer. Kinda Heroes of Might and Magic meets Wizardry.

Game Page w/Demo
Greenlight

Voted. It has a DOS game feel.

Dont want to imbed it so its not as openly visible because I am not sure I can post it, but I feel like I should share this unaltered screenshot I just made:
http://i.minus.com/jiIwC0i3uoKtV.png

I'm envy. :)
Still need to play Frozen Synapse

When did it happen - I really can't remember that part.
There is one nearing the end, but it was not you being rewarded... or did I miss something.

And for what it's worth I prefer A Good Husband, with its silly caricatural everyday setting, over TKotW's action fillers.
I did a lot of chores and got over 1000 points, then I went upstairs and the option appeared when I approached the bed.

Hofmann

Thanks to More_Badass for pointing out that SUPERHOT has appeared on Greenlight. Vote!
7F162907B94B8D96BC1C32A92BD8DAFACF7E9FD4

"Brilliant. FPS where time moves only when YOU move. Slick, clean, even the tutorials don't f&#k around."
Cliff Bleszinski, Co-creator Jazz Jackrabbit, Unreal, Gears of War.

"Like you're playing through Quentin Tarantino's version of the Mad Men opening credits."
Philippa Warr, Wired

"Imagine a FPS where time only moves when you do? Oh, it's been done. #superhotgame"
@PeterMolydeux

"...like Braid With Guns"
Mark Serrels, Kotaku

Thanks to More_Badass for pointing out that SUPERHOT has appeared on Greenlight. Vote!

Yeah. I think Nabs posted about the Greenlight in the Steam thread too, played it for a bit and the concept is really cool, I'm curious to see how it develops into a full game. SUPERHOT! SUPERHOT! SUPERHOT!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Many thanks in advance :) If you need images or anything, feel free to use our presskit.

Now thats a handy page.

Random aside, has anyone made some Gifs of it yet? Those always work nicely for threads.

Spierek

Gratuluję świetnego pomysłu i zasłużonego rozgłosu, jaki wytworzył się wokół waszego projektu.

/Gibberish mode off
Wielkie dzięki :D

Now thats a handy page.

Random aside, has anyone made some Gifs of it yet? Those always work nicely for threads.
Yesterday we had a giant Reddit thread (managed to hold on to the #10 position on the first page of /r/Gaming) which started off with a neat gif: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1m98ju/so_satisfying_superhot/

Nabs

Yeah. I think Nabs posted about the Greenlight in the Steam thread too, played it for a bit and the concept is really cool, I'm curious to see how it develops into a full game. SUPERHOT! SUPERHOT! SUPERHOT!

Yup. People seem to like it:

Damn, this is actually pretty good.Not too fond of the voice though.

Played through it there, awesome game.

That was actually fun.

Novel concept like that? I don't even need to play it, greenlighted.

Good gimmick, I like it. Would have completely missed it had you not shared it, so thanks.

Dascu

So what do you guys think, too crowded right now for a horror-game Kickstarter? I'm wondering if I should start up my campaign for Malebolgia next week or wait longer.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So what do you guys think, too crowded right now for a horror-game Kickstarter? I'm wondering if I should start up my campaign for Malebolgia next week or wait longer.

Hmmm, what are the currently popular Indie KSs?

Dascu

Hmmm, what are the currently popular Indie KSs?

Might No. 9, Hyper Light Drifter, the new Shantae, The Fall, Octopus City Blues and others.

Nothing that particularly is in the same genre as my game, but still. I just have the feeling there's an awful lot of threads with Kickstarter in the title lately, and I hope I don't get perceived as "Oh, another one asking for money?".

Toma

There are Shantae, Rivercity Ransom, the one posted in the past page. Also we just had Jobbs with Ghost Song, I think it's.a better idea to wait a bit.

Yeah true, we even had a few Gaf KS. Probably not the best moment. Definitely needs to be posted before the next gen launch though. And per GAF rules, its not actually okay to post the thread yourself, but I can help you if you want Dascu.

What goal are you aiming at btw Dascu?

Dascu

Yeah true, we even had a few Gaf KS. Probably not the best moment. Definitely needs to be posted before the next gen launch though. And per GAF rules, its not actually okay to post the thread yourself, but I can help you if you want Dascu.

What goal are you aiming at btw Dascu?

I don't want to wait too long. Kind of need to get this thing going by October at least. And I'm aiming at 7000 pound for basic target, then up to 20.000 for other versions, console ports, etc. I will probably post a KS preview link in this thread or so, or PM people who are interested, for some feedback.

Maybe even give a couple of you access to a demo.

Also, early #screenshotsaturday:
Just imagine you hear the wind and lightning sound effects.

I don't want to wait too long. Kind of need to get this thing going by October at least. And I'm aiming at 7000 pound for basic target, then up to 20.000 for other versions, console ports, etc. I will probably post a KS preview link in this thread or so, or PM people who are interested, for some feedback.

What about launching the Kickstarter near the end of september?

Burt

I think that Malebolgia has enough visual and genre distinctiveness that hitting your minimum 7k goal would be feasible whenever. Kickstarter burnout is a result of general sameness in the field, and I can't think of much that I can compare Malebolgia to. It isn't like you're going to be throwing around pixel art or the term "metroidvania" (much love to Jobbs and GS, there just seems to be a flood of MVs lately) in your video. Even if it looks crowded now, you can't predict if it's going to be better or worse later. Regardless, making a compelling video is much, much, much more important than the state of the market.

I like the menu screen, btw.

Burt

Holy sheeeeit Hyper Light Drifter looks good. Had it gotten any coverage before the Kickstarter launched? I hadn't heard of it before today.

In other Kickstarter news, I just ran across Shadow Heroes, an interesting looking fantasy-RTS with some RPG elements that looks like it's going nowhere funding wise. Always a shame when that happens, especially when it seems like the biggest problem is the Kickstarter campaign and not the game itself.

Toma

Someone called? ;)
SUPER HOT
iqU0U9yHv3K8Z.gif

BTW this game is super hard to gif because it feels like a low framerate gif when that's time freezing to even slower than a Matrix shootout.

It probably works best if you wait for a second right with a bullet in sight. Maybe turn while waiting a bit, but dont move?

Consider giffing it an CHALLENGE.

Hofmann

No... my hands... I have no control over them.

Hey Dascu it's More_Badass here. Sorry for using Hofmann as a tool - I just want to tell you that I love the Malebolgia menu, and definitely think you might want to hold off on launching your campaign. Also have you mentioned what the backer tiers are going to be?

Ok, finally back, It felt kinda weird:D

Dascu

Hah. Yeah, I think I'll wait a bit and prepare a nice trailer, work on the Kickstarter page, polish up the demo to send to the press.

Toma

Hah. Yeah, I think I'll wait a bit and prepare a nice trailer, work on the Kickstarter page, polish up the demo to send to the press.

Yep, that sounds good. Dont break your head over this yet ;)

alllen

Neo Member
I like the Malebolgia menu, but have one small issue with it. Where your eyes would normally be focused, there's nothing there. An image of what area I'm exactly talking about. Makes it seem empty, with most of the detail on the outer edges and some hidden behind the menu on the right.

There's actually a name (which I can't seem to remember) for a technique in film for using geography, architecture, or other objects to direct the eye to a specific point in a frame. In your menu, the architecture is drawing my eye towards the center left of the menu where there is only black. It really detracts from the menu which is otherwise very nice.

Looking forward to seeing more of the game and the Kickstarter, it's looking really good from what I've seen so far.

Hofmann

I like the Malebolgia menu, but have one small issue with it. Where your eyes would normally be focused, there's nothing there. An image of what area I'm exactly talking about. Makes it seem empty, with most of the detail on the outer edges and some hidden behind the menu on the right.

There's actually a name (which I can't seem to remember) for a technique in film for using geography, architecture, or other objects to direct the eye to a specific point in a frame. In your menu, the architecture is drawing my eye towards the center left of the menu where there is only black. It really detracts from the menu which is otherwise very nice.

Looking forward to seeing more of the game and the Kickstarter, it's looking really good from what I've seen so far.

You may be right. I instinctively felt there is something not right with the composition, but couldn't exactly tell what is.

CzarTim

Impressions!

I played 2 hours of Godus, which is still very early on. It's oddly addicting, though right now there doesn't seem to be much strategy involved. Hopefully that changes later on. Most of the gameplay revolves around sculpting the terrain, which can get a bit tedious at times.

It's honestly too early to tell for me. I've certainly enjoyed the experience overall, I just need to put a few more hours in to be sure.

It's always so humbling to see all of these kickstarters...

Right now I'm still working on my Playstation Mobile version of my game, Treachery in Beatdown City (brawler/fighter/turn based RPG)...

Looking toward working on a PC and then maybe PSN version of it down the line, but will probably need to kickstart it eventually.

Seeing the new RCR kickstarter launch is conflicting for me as it looks dope, but I definitely want it to be out of the public's eye by the time I launch mine.

We did get a write up on Polygon from PAX (I had no booth, just a Vita and a smile)

Something I learned though... if you aren't a part of the megabooth, even tangentially, even people you know might not have time to come try your game.

Side scrollers akin to Super Metroid or SotN anyone? Indie games tick all the right boxes these days.

The most obvious answer are Dust: An Elysian Tail and Cave Story+ maybe also Capsized but I haven't played it too much to know if it fits your preferences. If you're into a more 16bit classic game check Volgarr the Viking, it's not a metroidvania more like the older Castlevanias.

Vancha

I wouldn't wait to much longer, perhaps a week or so would be enough. By then some of the big ones will have either ended or atleast drifted from the atenttion of the media. And you never know who or what other campaign may come up in the meantime.

In the end, I fully support your game, it looks great!

Thanks all, looks like it's probably a toss up between Valdis Story and Guacamelee at this stage. Megabyte Punch looks ok, but it seems like all of the games that look intriguing (A.N.N.E, Chasm and Axiom Verge) are out next year. Dust is cool but gets a bit boring fast.

There's this too: http://metroidvanias.tumblr.com/.

Top Bottom