• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie games to look forward to in 2016 and beyond

Elixist

Am I the only one interested in Hob? I think it counts as indie, anyway.

I thought this would be getting more attention after showing up during Sony's show the other day. It was one of the only things that caught my eye.

It looks a little bit like Zelda with some platforming.

i think it looks great, ill buy the shit out of it. i'd by lying if i said i wasnt disappointed in not getting a torchlight mmo or part 3 tho.

So many fantastic indies coming out man, can't wait to discover some more gems next year. Hyper Light Drifters is definitely near the top of the list for me though. BitUp and Everspace also looks fun as hell.

http://www.ashen-game.com/#ashen <---the most excited about Ashen
7731f3161f942a1dc7c4c1910b75cfb8.gif

http://cupheadgame.com/ cuphead

http://www.whatliesbelow.com/ Below

Me and you both fam, so hyped for Ashen.

So many fantastic indies coming out man, can't wait to discover some more gems next year. Hyper Light Drifters is definitely near the top of the list for me though. BitUp and Everspace also looks fun as hell.

Me and you both fam, so hyped for Ashen.
Yeah, Ashen looks great. Actually I had one of the first previews ever of the game last year

This thread kicks ass. Makes me happy to be playing games still in my 40s.
I was just going to say the same, it's the games in here (plus a few others) that make me so happy to be gaming. We've reached the point where fans are making great product, and it is glorious. :)

I'm guessing Underail has been mentioned? I'm super stoked for it, especially after playing Fallout 1 and 2 again.

Corpekata

Banned
I was just going to say the same, it's the games in here (plus a few others) that make me so happy to be gaming. We've reached the point where fans are making great product, and it is glorious. :)

I'm guessing Underail has been mentioned? I'm super stoked for it, especially after playing Fallout 1 and 2 again.

It comes out in like 2 weeks so it's technically a 2015 title.

This thread kicks ass. Makes me happy to be playing games still in my 40s.
The older gamers especially must be loving the resurgence of 3D platformers, arcade racers, and space sims

The best thing about indies is that there's a little something for everyone, from Sega-style arcade flight games to X Wing-inspired space combat...
to adventure games, to horror, fighters, and arena shooters, and everything in beween

Actually that's finally leaving Early Access this month. I really need to get back into it.

Got to throw up a few more Wings of Saint Nazaire GIFs. Just love how the game looks
There's an early demo/alpha available here if you want to play it yourself

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

drotahorror

Yo can anyone help me remember a game?

It was an underwater game where you could swim with all kinds of fish and whatnot and you used one of those diving motorized things to get around? It looked similar to Subnautica but was 3rd person and everything flowed together better.

Feep

Banned
Indie games are getting more and more polished. Incredible showing in the OP, and it doesn't even highlight some of the better known titles. Whew.

drotahorror

Here's a couple more I don't think have been mentioned or atleast I didn't see it.

Sui Generis - ...that combat!
zYKT25a.gif

Tower 57

Happy Hell

Witchmarsh (might have been mentioned, this one's popular)
4hbRmSX.gif

How about Chasm?

Discord-Games_Chasm_3.png

The devs said it'll be releasing sometime in 2016, i've played a demo of it at Best Buy, so I can't imagine it'll release too far into the year.

Wozman23

My most anticipated indies (that haven't been mentioned yet):

Shape of the World - July 2016
Shape of the World is an exploration game where a rich and colorful world grows around you.

Unravel - early 2016
Unravel introduces Yarny, a new lovable character made from a single thread of yarn, who embarks on a seemingly larger than life journey through the breath-taking environments of Northern Scandinavia.
resize

Twin Souls: The Path of Shadows - Spring 2016 [*Missed it in the OP. Now with more Shadow Dragon gifs!*]
A 3rd person stealth game in which you play as Aragami, an undead assassin with the power to control the shadows.
UntimelyTalkativeIndianskimmer.gif

Soft Body - 2016
Inspired by the simplicity and joy of twin-stick shooters and other arcade games, players take control of two beautiful, gooey snakes at the same time to paint the world, which continually changes around you, while dodging bullets and popping enemies.
softbody_build.png

Vane - 2016 ?
A child with an odd ability stuck in a strange land. A dangerous natural environment inhabited by a strange civilization. Vane is an open-world adventure game based on mystery and exploration.
TGS-2014-Teaser-trailer-for-atmospheric-open-world-adventure-game-Vane.jpg

Oliver and Spike: Dimension Jumpers (Now Olivia and Spike?) - 2016 ?
We follow Oliver and his faithful little friend, the British bull-terrier Spike. Oliver was separated from his parents as a child and it's your task to uncover his past and future as you travel through the dimensions on the quest for answers.
KjJnMz.gif

Out of the stuff previously mentioned, my hype levels for Cuphead and Thumper are astronomical.

Things are not looking good for Tangiers. The game's site is dead, the dev's email fails to receive email, they missed all deadlines to release the beta, and had serious money problems.

Well, that's a shame, I just looked into it a bit and it looks like the money troubles came from two additional funding sources falling through. Sounds like some bad luck, hopefully they're able to get more funding for the game, because it seemed really unique.

Pehesse

This game looks great, and in some of the shots accomplishes a sense of depth and place that few sidescrolling games do.

I've chatted with one of the guys behind this a few times and -- unless something has changed -- I think this game is being made in Construct 2 (don't quote me on this though). Construct 2 is a rough equivalent of Stencyl, so it's always nice to see something more ambitious being made with it. :) (again, if I'm correct)

You're absolutely correct, and the devs have helped me quite a few times with Construct 2 related issues! A very nice team!

Tankard

What about that game made by some guys from thatgamecompany? I forgot the name, it had an awesome video,. i thought it was supposed to be a 2016 game?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Great thread is great. Thanks for posting, OP.

How about Chasm?

Discord-Games_Chasm_3.png

The devs said it'll be releasing sometime in 2016, i've played a demo of it at Best Buy, so I can't imagine it'll release too far into the year.

I played the Chasm demo ages ago (2014 at the latest), so don't take that as a measure of how far along in development it is. Still anxiously waiting for it, though.

If you like roguelite platformers, I highly recommend checking out Catacomb Kids or Vagante

Catacomb Kids is more fun, because of your moveset and the environment is so reactive, but Vagante is the more complete game ATM (both on Early Access)

Made a thread about Catacomb Kids over here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=979121

Thanks a ton! I will definitelly check these. You're the man!
Edit: I already had Catacomb Kids on my wishlist, haha. Added Vagante.

Wozman23

What happened to Vane?
Nearly forgot about this one.

Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyP-pWxVVt4&feature=youtu.be
And the accompanying article: http://madewith.unity.com/games/becoming-half-bird-1

The part that scares me is they said they're at 'the end of pre-production' and their website's release date just says 'when it's done'. I thought it was a lot further than that, so who knows if 2016 is feasible. It is being developed by ex-members of the Last Guardian team, so they may have brought over the negative trait of taking forever.

Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyP-pWxVVt4&feature=youtu.be
And the accompanying article: http://madewith.unity.com/games/becoming-half-bird-1

The part that scares me is they said they're at 'the end of pre-production' and their website's release date just says 'when it's done'. I thought it was a lot further than that, so who knows if 2016 is feasible. It is being developed by ex-members of the Last Guardian team, so they may have brought over the negative trait of taking forever.
I mean, the game was revealed in 2014. Two or three years for an indie game is kind of the norm.

KodaRuss

I am kinda SOL on the indies with Steam as my laptop is not acting right. Also, my Vita refusing to connect to any WiFi so that is out as well.

I have been thinking about getting some sort of PC to play more indies but right now I can really only play them on my PS4 which means I miss a lot of them.

Really want to play Undertale badly right now.

GeoramA

Alone With You, Crossing Souls, Headlander, Hob, Iconoclasts, Mother Russia Bleeds, Rain World...just a few I'm looking forward too. And of course the big ones like The Witness, Firewatch, and NMS are day 1's. Gonna be a great year for indies.

Wozman23

I mean, the game was revealed in 2014. Two or three years for an indie game is kind of the norm.

Sure. And delays are just as bad if not worse with a lot of indie titles. But the reveal in 2014 seemed like it was past pre-production. I assumed development had already been going for a while. If they're still in pre-production we may be looking at the indie equivalent to The Last Guardian on more than just personnel.

Naarmight

Great thread
I have already have kickstarted Everspace, and what EA on Grip (looks very promising, but very, very early days on that one) so I am looking forward to both of those already

I will certainly keep an eye out for Prey for the Gods looks wonderful, I am surprised it has taken so long for a SotC clone to come out.

Also as others have mentioned you could add both of these to the main post:

Eitr
Wings of Saint Nazaire

Both look fantastic, and I think both were originally due for 2015, so hopefully we will see them sooner rather than later

Great thread
I have already have kickstarted Everspace, and what EA on Grip (looks very promising, but very, very early days on that one) so I am looking forward to both of those already

I will certainly keep an eye out for Prey for the Gods looks wonderful, I am surprised it has taken so long for a SotC clone to come out.

Also as others have mentioned you could add both of these to the main post:

Eitr
Wings of Saint Nazaire

Both look fantastic, and I think both were originally due for 2015, so hopefully we will see them sooner rather than later
Actually I had reached out the dev of Wings on Twitter yesterday, because I was curious about its progress as well. He had been working on his masters thesis so, as you can imagine, development on the game had slowed but he has said he has good news and updates coming soon

Game Informer posted an article today of their 10 favorite Playstation Experience 2015 indie games with a lot of promising games. Included our game (Cosmic Star Heroine) - http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

So I was at the PSX event and I got a chance to play the demo on the Vita. I chose the Vita because it's the platform I most desire to play the game on and it was great. I don't love 2D RPGs as much as other gamers on NeoGaf do because I didn't play 2D RPGs first. But over the years, I've gone back and played games years after their release...

The Lunar series and Phantasy Star series were among the better ones I played, especially Lunar 2 and Phantasy Star 4 stood out to be for various reasons.

If any of the games I mentioned above were favorites for anyone else reading, then pay attention to Cosmic Star Heroine. The combat was faster than Lunar and Chrono Trigger (my main gripes with older 2D games) and the dialogue seemed modern and translated well enough.

Definitely one of my favorite games at the PSX (others including HOB, Stories: Path of Destinies, etc.).

Indie Games have become my staple diet when it comes to gaming because I can always gt that arcadey/quick fix satisfaction from them which is what I seem to crave more and more as regular games are getting way too complex, story driven and sandboxy for my attention span and time. I'm also still primarily a lover of 2d graphics/perspective as they make the games look more timeless and usually employ simple yet fun mechanics.

Really looking forward to a lot of these games coming out especially that first one in the OP which I have never seen before, i'm hoping there is a tiny smattering of monsters/combat in that game but I won't be disappointed if there isn't.

Top Bottom