• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IndieGogo - Windows 10 GPD Handheld -299$ "A Laptop Fitting in Your Pocket"

MUnited83

For you.
Thank you for this! I decided to hold off on the GPD Win and save my monies for the GPD Win 2 seeing as its probably going to be expensive. Being able to open up more of the Steam library makes it seem like a better option in the long run and I'm busy enough at the moment as it is.

I'm wondering what the general consensus is for the indiegogo or early GPD Win, were the revisions down the line much better, or is it ok to go with the indiegogo version? As its a pretty expensive device, I don't want to get one with significant flaws, that I have to send back to get fixed. What were the issues with the first model of the GPD Win so I can make a better decision with the Win 2?

Revisions did fix a few minor issues, but I believe the base product was fine at launch. If you really really want the best version of it i'd wait for a couple of revisions before jumping on the GPD Win 2. On the other hand, if you back the indiegogo at the early bird price, you'll basically have it at launch and will probably be around 50$ less than the final price.

Jimrpg

Revisions did fix a few minor issues, but I believe the base product was fine at launch. If you really really want the best version of it i'd wait for a couple of revisions before jumping on the GPD Win 2. On the other hand, if you back the indiegogo at the early bird price, you'll basically have it at launch and will probably be around 50$ less than the final price.

Cool, seeing as they already have a prototype and its still around 9-12 months from release, there's plenty of time for them to adjust minor issues (and its the second one, they should have more experience designing it). Would be happy to save $50 too (and who doesn't like getting things at launch)!

Btw, I didn't get to finish watching the end of the video, did Phawx say anything about the screen? 5.5"? 6"? 720p?

Phawx

Cool, seeing as they already have a prototype and its still around 9-12 months from release, there's plenty of time for them to adjust minor issues (and its the second one, they should have more experience designing it). Would be happy to save $50 too (and who doesn't like getting things at launch)!

Btw, I didn't get to finish watching the end of the video, did Phawx say anything about the screen? 5.5"? 6"? 720p?

It looks like it's 6" on the nose.

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm curious, in this case why wouldn't you go for the Pocket instead?

Pocket seems just a bit too big for thumb typing:

https://youtu.be/as_pm43IjJQ?t=4m11s

also I think the joysticks are better than the nibble. The default gpd joystick mouse configuration is trash, and I'd have abandoned the device if I hadn't found customized controls, but with all the extra buttons it is more flexible than nibble. I'd still prefer a trackpad I think over both joystick and nibble.

MJPIA

So someone shared with me some info.
GPD Win 2 has been in development for 7 months and Wade estimates it is roughly 70% finished but that does not mean its 3 months away from being finished.
It could be less than 3 months or it could take 6.
Wade said its hard to put a solid timeline on a device being developed as unforeseen issues can pop up late in development.
They won't launch a crowdfunding campaign until the device is finished.
So my timeline assumption was way off.

So we aren't going to know when they'll launch the crowdfunding campaign until they finish it.

So soon™

apd_ng

GPD Win 2 has been in development for 7 months and Wade estimates it is roughly 70% finished but that does not mean its 3 months away from being finished.
Wade said its hard to put a solid timeline on a device being developed as unforeseen issues can pop up late in development.

So we aren't going to know when they'll launch the crowdfunding campaign until they finish it.

So soon™

Crowd fund confrimed? Think I read that they might skip one for the Win 2 (here maybe)

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
The win 2 needs at least a 768p resolution, i finally have the possibility to try civilization 3 but the game is made for the 1024x768, it's not the first time something like this happens.

Jimrpg

So soon™

So Jan-Apr reveal then? That's not so far away. I'm really looking forward to this device. Sure I already have a macbook that probably has better specs, but this will be a lot more portable and great for VNs and other Vita like games.

Crowd fund confrimed? Think I read that they might skip one for the Win 2 (here maybe)

As a business its a no brainer, they're basically using other people's money as capital.

MJPIA

Its not really neogaf based but there is a discord channel for all things GPD with channels for everything from the XD, Pocket, Win and the upcoming Win2.

Quote to see

Would be nice to see some more neogaf people in there
Invite link is good for 10 people only so if it doesn't work pm me and I'll send you one.

Maximo

I'm leaving GAF. Feel free to create a new thread whenever GPD Win 2 is officially announced and crowdfunded. I'm sure there are still people here that will update as news goes but here are resources to get informed as soon as new news come out:

https://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-windows-devices/
https://www.reddit.com/r/gpdwin/

I hope y'all enjoy your devices and hopefully the GPD Win 2 is great. See ya!

Yeah GAF is essentially dead to me with members I like jumping ship...

Its not really neogaf based but there is a discord channel for all things GPD with channels for everything from the XD, Pocket, Win and the upcoming Win2.

Quote to see

Would be nice to see some more neogaf people in there
Invite link is good for 10 people only so if it doesn't work pm me and I'll send you one.

Thanks, was hoping there was a community for this. Hope to see you guys at other places - it's been great to talk about the Win with all of you.

Top Bottom