• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Industry sources: The PlayStation 5 is still a ways off

Leocarian

Banned
These people they are speaking to can't legally talk about future console plans

This means nothing

Yep exactly. Do they really think they gonna tell him a full truth only to be sued or go to jail for a breach of contact at Sony? Seriously. Also a ways off still could mean late 2019 lol.

THE:MILKMAN

I don't understand how anyone could have believed that Sony was going to release PS5 this year. Sony isn't even going to think about PS5 until PS4 hits 100 million.

They own this generation so why would they want it to end early?

Some have said the whole Semi Accurate 2018 release has been exaggerated but yeah it was never on. Saying that, your Sony won't do anything till 100 million is also ridiculous. Sony plan console releases years in advance.

octiny

Banned
Holiday 2019/2020 at the latest. Zero chance to the people suggesting 2021+ unless there is a huge unforeseen yield/manufacturing issue. It's not like their going to drop PS4 support, the transition period will always occur as previous generations so no one is forcing you to buy a PS5. Give or take a few months, 6 years overall in 3 year refresh cycles ( mid-refresh ala 1X/Pro) will definitely become the norm to further extend each gen without hindering developers (& pc gamers).

E3 2019 is going to be exciting, either an official announcement or hands-on will most definitely be in the cards.

Trogdor1123

2020 would be awesome imo. I won't be in day one though. First time since the n64 that I wasn't in right away.

I still think it will be iterative rather than a full blown new generation, regardless of what has been said.

Last edited:

nowhat

I still think it will be iterative rather than a full blown new generation, regardless of what has been said.
I guess it depends on your definitions of "iterative" and "full blown new generation"?

A Pro certainly is iterative. There's double the GPU, clocked ever slightly so higher. The CPU is the same, but again, a bit higher frequency. Memory, slightly faster and there's a "whopping" 0.5GB more available. But in essence, it's a PS4+ as I like to call it. Which is why making it run PS4 games is not a task at all (disable half of the GPU, use same frequencies as the base model) and boost mode is also easy to implement.

But if we're to take the current PS hardware lead (Cerny) at face value, a new generation would mean for example new CPU instructions. Which (Ry)Zen will bring. Along (I'm assuming or at the very least hoping) improvements in memory and storage bandwidth. That would make it a new generation, despite being x64 still.

TheMikado

Banned
2018 is way off but I can't imagine it being pushed off to 2020, unless there are major fab issues.

Exactly, the tech they would launch on in 2020 would already be a year old. In order for the systems to be interesting for me they would need to launch with cutting the edge tech similar to how the 360 had unified shaders before they launched on graphics cards.

Basically I’d expect a second gen Ryzen APU launch in Q1 2020. Which I would expect the same chip or similar chip to be in a system lauched in Q4 2019. The only thing convincing me otherwise at this point at RAM prices... which is the one thing I’m displeased on.

Wolverstein

Neo Member
Good, I don’t need to see PS5 till 2021 or 2023.
This was my thinking as well. I just don't feel like there's any impetus for a PS5 In 2018, and like you say, prob not until at least 2021, if not later. The last console generation lasted 10 years, which helped mitigate the costs of development and allowed each console publisher to focus on developing solid exclusives with sequels.

Are people really THAT hungry for a moderate hardware upgrade? What new tech is there currently that can't be integrated into the existing consoles? As it stands, I'm happy with where we are.

THE:MILKMAN

But how much do (consumer) RAM prices affect a deal (in the millions of chips a month) for Samsung? I suspect the deal they do with Sony falls outside any volatility in the wider market.

Last edited:
This was my thinking as well. I just don't feel like there's any impetus for a PS5 In 2018, and like you say, prob not until at least 2021, if not later. The last console generation lasted 10 years, which helped mitigate the costs of development and allowed each console publisher to focus on developing solid exclusives with sequels.

Are people really THAT hungry for a moderate hardware upgrade? What new tech is there currently that can't be integrated into the existing consoles? As it stands, I'm happy with where we are.

The last console was not 10 years, it was 7 years, and every PlayStation generation before it has been 6 years. The support will last 10 years but there has never been a gap for 10 years from any of them, typically a game console will be 5 or 6 years. Fall 2019 is still a ways off so these sources don't really say much because it was always highly doubtful of a PS5 this year. Sony may try and stretch it to 2020 but I don't think anything later than that.

TheMikado

Banned
But how much do (consumer) RAM prices affect a deal (in the millions of chips a month) for Samsung? I suspect the deal they do with Sony falls outside any volatility in the wider market.

Prices are up because manufacturing is down significantly.

However were are also seeing a ton of manufacturers jumping into the GDDR6 production all of a sudden by mid 2018. Everyone is pointing to Nvidia as the ones requesting this ramp up on production, but the number and volume projected wouldn’t make sense even if AMD cards were going gddr6.
It’s super suspicious.

ickythingz

Banned
So are they saying PS5 is in Death Stranding territory? Beyond Good & Evil 2 territory? Or - heaven forbid - FFVII: Remake, Episode 3 territory?

Can we safely assume it’s not in Half Life 2: Episode 3 territory?
I like this analogy. I could see Death Stranding being a PS5 launch title. I expect the PS5 around 2020 and this would probably work for Kojima as well.

Swizzle

Gold Member
I like this analogy. I could see Death Stranding being a PS5 launch title. I expect the PS5 around 2020 and this would probably work for Kojima as well.
I see all those titles as PS4 titles perhaps released close to when PS5 releases and some maybe even after that :).

Wolverstein

Neo Member
The last console was not 10 years, it was 7 years, and every PlayStation generation before it has been 6 years. The support will last 10 years but there has never been a gap for 10 years from any of them, typically a game console will be 5 or 6 years. Fall 2019 is still a ways off so these sources don't really say much because it was always highly doubtful of a PS5 this year. Sony may try and stretch it to 2020 but I don't think anything later than that.
Well, looking at the numbers it was 8 years. The 360 was released in November 2005, and Xbox One was released November 2013. Before the first previous generation console was the PS2 in 2000, so the generation before that was 5 years. A 3 year extension is 60% longer, and is definitely noteworthy.

Last edited:
Well, looking at the numbers it was 8 years. The 360 was released in November 2005, and Xbox One was released November 2013. Before the first previous generation console was the PS2 in 2000, so the generation before that was 5 years. A 3 year extension is 60% longer, and is definitely noteworthy.

I was talking about the PlayStation history and the PS3 and even if you include the Xbox 360 that still only makes it 8 years, not 10.

jadedm17

Yea, my money always has been 2020.

Speculation isn't fun to me personally; Sorry "let's speculate the next Smash bros" thread, sounds like a massive waste of time.

Kydd BlaZe

That would be like 10 years of active shelf life which is a bit unheard of and actually not what PlayStation needs.

I am confident Sony will not drop PS4 like a rock just because PS5 is on the market and you will see a nicer supported console for a few more years after it. Think about the PS3 to PS4 transition for a frame of reference.
Well the whole point of the Pro and the X was to extend this generation. Sony and Microsoft introduced more powerful hardware in order to keep this generation going, so I definitely don’t see any new consoles coming until at least 2020-2021.

2021 sounds good to me, 8 years is how long 360 lasted. Then again 360 was state of the art when it came out... PS4 not so much

If pro or x didn't exist I'd maybe want something sooner but we are good for now.

TheMikado

Banned
He was mis-quoted and he refused to get into specifics on next-gen when asked by the interviewer. He was bullish about further console cycles and tapping the likes of the Middle East and China more.

Go to 5:55 if it doesn't start there.

Yeah if anything it lines up with what Sony has been saying since the PS4 release about going to games as a service model.

Dabaus

Banned
Hello, Long time lurker, finally decided to make an account.

Im definitely team late 2019 or early 2020 for PS5. I personally believe a lot of this PS5 talk is actually a controlled leak of sorts to gauge interest or to mentally prepare folks that this generation may end a little sooner than expected. I don't think all of these PS5 Rumors are a coincidence and there seems to be a lot of smoke if theres not a fire. As far as the Kotaku article is concerned, it seemed like it was either click bait to ride the PS5 Rumors wave or it too was a "controlled leak" to dial back hype because the reaction was stronger than Sony anticipated. Im stoked for a 2019 ps5 as long as its somewhere between 10-12 terraflops, obviously better cpu, and backwards compatible.

93xfan

Banned
We need creativity in game development and not specs. I don't understand why people are craving so much for specs. COD in 8k is still COD.

Immersion with less LoD and shadows popping in.

Potentially Higher frame rates in open world games, due in part to the better CPU.

More advanced AI and physics due to a needed CPU upgrade. Just look at Far Cry 2 and how much better it is in so many areas that aren’t simply visuals.

Less jet engine noise if you own a PS4 pro and possible 1X style improvements to PS4 and PS4 Pro games.

Variable refresh rates with HDMI 2.1 for those wanting a new tv around 2019.

Games such as GTA 6 and Elder Scrolls 6 likely won’t be released until a new generation. Also, I’m holding off on buying an Xbox one x, knowing that we will likely see much better console tech by late 2020, possibly sooner.

Last edited:
Hello, Long time lurker, finally decided to make an account.

Im definitely team late 2019 or early 2020 for PS5. I personally believe a lot of this PS5 talk is actually a controlled leak of sorts to gauge interest or to mentally prepare folks that this generation may end a little sooner than expected. I don't think all of these PS5 Rumors are a coincidence and there seems to be a lot of smoke if theres not a fire. As far as the Kotaku article is concerned, it seemed like it was either click bait to ride the PS5 Rumors wave or it too was a "controlled leak" to dial back hype because the reaction was stronger than Sony anticipated. Im stoked for a 2019 ps5 as long as its somewhere between 10-12 terraflops, obviously better cpu, and backwards compatible.

Welcome aboard the NeoGAF train! Choo choo.

You're on the ball with regards to controlled leaks. Sony did the exact same thing to counter the Dreamcast with the "press-leaks" for the -ahem- "Toy Story-capable" PS2 to fantastic effect (and we ended up with a very disappointing result by comparison). The PS3 was even worse.

I'm hoping for the best but Mark Cerny has a lot to prove to me to make up for the embarrasment of the PS4 Pro. An under powered, panic-release PS5 in 2019 won't exactly add value to the platform for me. I want the PS5 to be amazing (like the PS4 was) but I'm skeptical with the news available right now and the current AMD hardware technical road map.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
Welcome aboard the NeoGAF train! Choo choo.

You're on the ball with regards to controlled leaks. Sony did the exact same thing to counter the Dreamcast with the "press-leaks" for the -ahem- "Toy Story-capable" PS2 to fantastic effect (and we ended up with a very disappointing result by comparison). The PS3 was even worse.

I'm hoping for the best but Mark Cerny has a lot to prove to me to make up for the embarrasment of the PS4 Pro. An under powered, panic-release PS5 in 2019 won't exactly add value to the platform for me. I want the PS5 to be amazing (like the PS4 was) but I'm skeptical with the news available right now and the current AMD hardware technical road map.

Thank you.

I don't think the pro is a disappointment, its just lacking on some things is when compared to the Xbox 1 X. Thing is, most (All?) games still have to use base ps4 and XB1's when they are being developed. That means assets and textures are first and foremost designed for 1.3-1.8 teraflop consoles. The Pro is fine for what it does at this point in time and imo the X was an overreaction to the pro.
With that said I don't think the PS5 is a panic release, we've heard rumblings since summer of last year that Sony was aiming for 2019. That doesn't sound panicked or rushed at all. I'm not expecting PS5 to be the most powerful console of all time. 10-12 teraflops with a better CPU, and more RAM will be fine. Look at how good Horizon and God war look with tech from 2013.
Even if MS launches a year later with a beast of a machine it wont matter because the PS2 was a lot weaker than the OG Xbox but that didn't change which console developers chose to prioritize. If Sony gets a year head start with a reasonable price I don't see how MS can come back from that.

Last edited:

Aggelos

i wonder if death stranding launches before the ps5

Death Stranding must be progressing smoothly. You gotta trust Kojima and his associates.
Another game should be something to worry about, that is Final Fantasy 7 Remake.
I wonder if FF7R launches before PS5....

Last edited:
Ever since Pro was announced, I've held to the opinion that this generation (X1, Wii U, PS4) will be as long if not longer than the last (which was approx. 7 years). Switch's success makes this more plausible since Sony and Microsoft will have to at least consider making a hybrid console in order to compete. Set-top boxes have continued to decline as the TV ceases to be the center of the home. Folks nowadays want flexibility, not power. Whether it's any-screen gaming, account sharing, "gaming hub", or some other sort of flexible way to play games, they need to offer something compelling. Paid online, a new physical medium, and/or cloud saves won't cut it next gen.

I think the Pro and X were released specifically to delay the launch of the next gen. It adds a few more years to the current platforms and gives Sony and Microsoft more time to observe the market and plan accordingly.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Ever since Pro was announced, I've held to the opinion that this generation (X1, Wii U, PS4) will be as long if not longer than the last (which was approx. 7 years). Switch's success makes this more plausible since Sony and Microsoft will have to at least consider making a hybrid console in order to compete. Set-top boxes have continued to decline as the TV ceases to be the center of the home. Folks nowadays want flexibility, not power. Whether it's any-screen gaming, account sharing, "gaming hub", or some other sort of flexible way to play games, they need to offer something compelling. Paid online, a new physical medium, and/or cloud saves won't cut it next gen.

I think the Pro and X were released specifically to delay the launch of the next gen. It adds a few more years to the current platforms and gives Sony and Microsoft more time to observe the market and plan accordingly.

Nintendo, king in the handheld space, managed to hold on its handheld dominance and expand their handheld to TV with the dock and the dual play mode of Switch. What worked for them may very well not work for Microsoft and/or Sony as the dedicated gaming handheld space is quite restricted and anything beyond of strict gaming devices goes against iOS devices and Android ones... dedicated consoles can still sell and still be quite versatile multi media boxes: PS4 sales have been quite healthy in the console space for example and Xbox is also picking up steam post launch.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Death Stranding must be progressing smoothly. You gotta trust Kojima and his associates.
Another game should be something to worry about, that is Final Fantasy 7 Remake.
I wonder if FF7R launches before PS5....

No way Death Stranding gets released on a PS4 at this point right?

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
We've seen Sony create patents that we know about and various comments from all over the internet makes it sound to me like backwards compatibility will happen in some form. With that said as far as FF7R and Death stranding are concerned I believe they will be cross gen in some form. No way they abandon the PS4 installed base. I think for sure Death Stranding will receive a PS5 Patch or release at some point. FF7 on the other hand still sounds away off and at this point we ill be lucky if it even comes out.
Im more afraid of how SE will handle episodes 2 and 3. Do they keep it cross gen for its entirety? Do they make episode 1 cross gen and the rest next gen? Do they attempt to port it to other platforms in between episode releases? Im excited as anybody for the remake but there are plenty of red flags to temper my hype.

Top Bottom