• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: First Light |OT| Make Fetch Happen

SZips

Alright, these two challenges are stumping me.

What do you need to do for the "Pull" challenge where it says "Defeat 5 Enemies with an Airborne Ammo Dump?" I've apparently never gotten one of those in these couple of goes at the Arena.

Also, how do I do a Super Bolt? I've apparently done it once throughout the entire game and now I need 24 more of them.

These are probably super simple things that I'm just being stupid about.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Also, how do I do a Super Bolt? I've apparently done it once throughout the entire game and now I need 24 more of them.

In the battle arenas you'll see police drones flying around and they show up on the radar as white icons. Shoot them down and you'll get bonuses like infinite health, double bonus, or super bolt (blue crystal).

SZips

In the battle arenas you'll see police drones flying around and they show up on the radar as white icons. Shoot them down and you'll get bonuses like infinite health, double bonus, or super bolt (blue crystal).

Ah, thanks. I've been obtaining those but during the battle I never really had much time to see what effect most of them gave me outside of the score multiplier ones.

Any ideas about the "Pull" challenge?

Just finished it. That was great. Really enjoyed it.

Watching Shane turn into neon ash was satisfying as fuck.

I hope the next inFamous protagonist (if it isn't gonna be Delsin) is a female. Sucker Punch has done a good job writing women this time around.

TheJLC

Ah, thanks. I've been obtaining those but during the battle I never really had much time to see what effect most of them gave me outside of the score multiplier ones.

Any ideas about the "Pull" challenge?
The ammo dump one. Find an ammo crate and point toward an enemy and press L1( or press and hold). It will send the ammo crate flying and quickly aim and shoot it and kill enemies. The ammo dumps appear every few seconds around the arena. You will have to look around the center of the arena.

SZips

The ammo dump one. Find an ammo crate and point toward an enemy and press L1( or press and hold). It will send the ammo crate flying and quickly aim and shoot it and kill enemies. The ammo dumps appear every few seconds around the arena. You will have to look around the center of the arena.
I think I did it the hard way after my above post. I waited until they spawned in and hit them with a bolt before they touched the ground. Whoops! At least it's done I suppose.

leng jai

Just finished the story mode and I have to say it was very enjoyable, and worthy of the asking price.

Ironically playing First Light served to highlight most of Second Son's many shortcomings. After using Fetch it became increasingly obvious that Sucker Punch's decision to make Delsin the "jack of all trades" to the point of him feeling weak and diluted, was a misstep. While Delsin's skill set felt disjointed, Fetch ended up being infinitely more satisfying to play. Her powers were more fleshed out, packed more punch and her means of traversal made movement feel seamless. Compared to Second Son's movement philosophy of press circle to win, this was far more engaging. The improved traversal mechanic also meant that Lumens (the equivalent of shards) were more enjoyable to collect as there was a better balance of skill and tedium to their placement. If you were skilled enough, most of them could be obtained without breaking stride while simply moving to your next objective.

The fact that you were restricted to a single district with a condensed storyline actually worked in First Light's favour. Every district bar Chinatown looked virtually identical which made them feel largely like a waste of time. Unfortunately the mission design was basically identical to Second Son's, albeit with a few minor tweaks. Despite the combat scenarios hardly being any better than the base game, they were still more enjoyable. You actually felt like a superhero in First Light, with slick movement, more efficient ways to manipulate the environment and simply more firepower (Sucker Punch clearly knew it as well, which is why they included Arena Mode). Again, with the condensed game length they pretty much wrapped up just when they started to get stale. Still, this is one of the AAA games that I feel could do with more set pieces just to mitigate the monotony to an extent. Sucker Punch kind of lost me with their efforts though - you know it's a problem when story line missions feel practically the same as random fights in the open world.

Anyone who read the Second Son OT probably remembers my incessant whining about the audio mix and sadly, it's not much better here. I will say that Fetch's Neon powers sound like they have more oomph to them, which probably aided in making her feel more powerful and satisfying to play compared to Delsin. The ambience is still non-existent unless you turn your volume up to obscene levels. By now I've basically lost all faith in Sucker Punch ever getting the audio right their games.

Overall I really liked it, and there's very little chance anyone who likes the base game wouldn't. This DLC basically makes Second Son obsolete if you've already completed it, as if I ever need my Infamous fix I'll definitely go to First Light. It's also a very good purchase for those people who were interested in the original game but didn't want to commit to paying $40+. It's the best of Second Son in a neat little package, so you really can't go wrong.

Atlas157

Just got the Platinum.

You know that sound effect that happens when you kill something in the arena? I'm gonna hear that shit in my sleep...

Guys, can anyone help me about challenges?
Do I need to do every challenges in every mode (free roam + arena) to earn the trophy?
And also I have no idea about how to do challenges 'KO Queen' and 'Ultraaa!'

Frillen

Guys, can anyone help me about challenges?
Do I need to do every challenges in every mode (free roam + arena) to earn the trophy?
And also I have no idea about how to do challenges 'KO Queen' and 'Ultraaa!'

There are global challenges and arena challenges. It's all there on the challenges screen :)

Is it worth to import the physical version from EU? My buddy and I have a platinum challenge and we can only play games that are in physical forms or release in physical form.

Apologies if this has been discussed already, but did they remove navigating the map with the touchpad? Doesn't seem to be working for me...

I imagine it will read any save files, it would be highly unreliable to check for the game data when that is something that we shouldn't have to worry about deleting.
I deleted Second Son from my hard drive but kept the save files on PS+ online cloud. I tried to copy the saves but it's telling me I don't have a Second Son data file installed and it can't copy it. I don't have the game anymore, so I won't be able to play Delsin's arena mode.

Frillen

Yay platinum! For some reason the one I struggled with was the "hit five weak points before the timer runs out".

Oh well, done!

Or go near a crate, use your big special neon move (can't remember its name) and do it ez mode. :)

Ambitious

Same here, and the code they gave me for the DUP costume doesn't work. There is an error saying that this code was already used.

Same here.
Maybe this message is displayed not only if the code has indeed been used already, but also if you already own the content it's supposed to unlock? After all, both First Light and the DUP costume are still in my download list.

pixxxelz

Poor Fetch her parents must've hated her
:p

tUhmmkgl.jpg

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Finished and I'm not satisfied with the way they wrapped it up.

I would have liked to have seen her actually clean up her act and meet Delsin (good Karma).

The absence of the Karma system felt awkward too. At the end they just say you became a true killer and that's it. Unless I'm missing something.

There was something I noticed as well, which seemed inconsistent with what the story in Second Son tells you, that she learned how to use her power properly during her time locked up in training with Augustine. But she's already combat ready two years earlier...?

GavinUK86

Finished and I'm not satisfied with the way they wrapped it up.

I would have liked to have seen her actually clean up her act and meet Delsin (good Karma).

The absence of the Karma system felt awkward too. At the end they just say you became a true killer and that's it. Unless I'm missing something.

There was something I noticed as well, which seemed inconsistent with what the story in Second Son tells you, that she learned how to use her power properly during her time locked up in training with Augustine. But she's already combat ready two years earlier...?

2 years previous she was a bit of a mess and kept having anxiety attacks which triggered random abilities. After training with Augustine, she learnt to control them all. That's my take on it.

I actually prefer no karma system. Always thought it was tacked on anyway. Good or bad, choose one. I would rather just have the one story tbh.

Just got the Platinum today, it was quite easy.
Would have thought that getting all the challenges would be a bit more difficult.
Definitely felt worth the 15€ it cost.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Has anyone else noticed the black shading in the corners of the screen during gameplay?

It's like the camera has a gasmask on or something.

Is there a way to eliminate that?

Kade

Really not a fan of the mandatory battle arenas... It's souring what seems like a pretty good story driven DLC. I actively avoided that content in Second Son in both of my playthroughs.

Grisby

Finished. I had an ok time, kind of like I did with Second Son. That last bit of story and Fetch's scene where she
loses her brother felt a lot better comparatively to Delsin/Reggie. Some really good voice acting there

The arena is fun and I'm going to try and finish most, if not all, of the challenges. There's a lot of enemy variety there and I felt like some of that should have made it's way into the main story. I don't know how, but a lot of the missions just felt flaccid. There was a protect vehicle mission which was a nice throwback to Trish's bus in I1 and that electric train deal you had to ride but it never got crazy (granted, you don't have a lot of your powers).

I guess that's the thing, I still feel this series hasn't quite lived up to the potential it has. Conduits as a story telling and game mechanic device is a wonderful idea.

Some slight, other impressions:
-I've gotten stuck 3 times in the geometry already. Once during an 800,000 thousand point run. However, the game was about to force Fetch out eventually which was nice.
-Overkill powers are some fun icing on the power cake.
-There was one screen near the end that seemed like something Bioware would
throw in were it said Fetch is now a true killer or something. Kind of hilariously bad.
-Game still looks so good. I just wish there was some more fantasy to it or it embraced the punk nature of it more. Like, I'm dealing with cocaine and drug folks right? Everything felt a little too clean.

Poor Fetch her parents must've hated her
:p

tUhmmkgl.jpg
That was a neat scene. Short, but it told a lot.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
What's the trick with this KO Queen (20 consecutive melee kills) challenge? I apparently got the quicker version of that, Sucker Punch(es) (10 consecutive melee kills) but my count on KO Queen remains 0. Not sure if I'm straight up not understanding what you're supposed to do, or if this challenge count doesn't change to show your best effort up to that point.

Is it just killing 20 straight enemies in one run using melee?

Edit: Figured it out. 20 straight enemies. I'm gonna quit attempting this is in the arena and do it in free roam.

SirCrush

Liked what I played but didn't like it enough as SS.

I'm glad I'm not the only one in GAF that thinks this. I have trouble understanding what people think sometimes.

First Light was fun...Second Son was a better experience imo. Cept them arenas. Them arenas was cool as shit. :p

Quick

Banned
Finished the game just now.

Fetch is a great character, and it sucks that the game is short. I guess it's pretty average for DLCs, but I really just want more Fetch.

Character designs are also great. Sucker Punch really did a great job with their faces, specifically. I remember being impressed as hell with how natural it all looked.

doofy102

I play infamous second son just to run around with neon powers really, if this is a more interesting traversal system then I'm all in. Hope the physical release isn't like $50 in Australia.

Quick

Banned
I play infamous second son just to run around with neon powers really, if this is a more interesting traversal system then I'm all in.

Parkour is pretty much out the window considering you can easily climb and travel faster with Fetch's neon powers

lt519

Just got the Platinum.

You know that sound effect that happens when you kill something in the arena? I'm gonna hear that shit in my sleep...

Almost as satisfying as that Killzone chirp.

Just platinumed as well. Finished most arena challenges on the second or third try using Fetch but got tired after reaching 1mil/30ish waves. One tip for people struggling is to level up the missiles and spam that shit when the enemies get tough, also great for hitting the snipers that are far away. I had to repeat the Beta and Gamma arenas a few times to get the drones and night terror challenges. I also didn't use the stasis or melee much so I didn't get those challenges naturally but was able to complete them while doing the drones and night terrors.

I have to say it felt like two completely different games contained in one. The story was pretty good, missions fairly boring, and side missions were a joke, but solid gameplay. Slow and easy. But the arena was hectic gameplay that actually required some quick thinking and maneuvering. It was great fun but now that I've cleared all the challenges I don't see myself going back. It just gets repetitive once you get past the 30th waves in survival and I wasn't a big fan of the rescue arenas. All in all about 8 hours to platinum, good value for $15. Solid 8/10.

Edit: Anyone else notice the ridiculous amount of trophies. A platinum, seven golds and a few silvers for an eight hour game? Seemed really superfluous for a $15 game when all some other PSN games get is one gold for beating the game and like 20 bronzes. When I unlocked the last challenge and upgraded I think I earned 3 golds and a platinum at once since I also broke 10 mil at the same time.

I finished it, loved it for the most part but the outfit thing is a serious bummer. I was looking forward to free roaming in the city to finish all the side things I didn't do while trying her different outfits (including the preorder one DUP agent one which looks awesome, also I don't recall them saying was battle arena only) so I feel really let down about that. The battle arena is a cool side thing I guess for score chasers, but I don't really care about that stuff.

I think I'm going to put the side stuff on hold and move onto other games with the hope that they'll patch in outfits in free roam later.

Top Bottom