• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Adrian121

Finally finished the game. Had an absolute blast with it, by far my favorite in the series.

I loved everything about the game from the amazing graphics to how well it actually played.

wowlace

Got it today, just passed the tower level. Good game is good. Graphics lived up to the hype. Now I am really excited to see what devs can do with this console. Looking forward to more sony exclusives.

KORNdoggy

Ha ha, I thought I was loosing my mind thinking it was Chris Parnell the whole time.

What's with the papertrail thing?
I chase a Japanese school girl with a white rabbit mask around town to a murder scene, and then it tells me it can't connect to mission. Then after the main game I register for a website and... Nothing. Just looking at clues. I was hoping to get a 5th "Paper" power. Meh.
use the clues to find the next lead. do that and as long as it deceides to connect, you will be given a second mission.

Narcosis

Anyone else try climbing the space needle after completing the game? I gave it a whirl last night with (spoiler alert)
concrete powers
and the results were pretty funny. Not sure why Sucker Punch don't want us climbing it after that first mission.

Video: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151955031596570&l=7522810034458497413

EDIT: Link fixed

Sucker Punch was only able to get permission to use the Space Needle in the game on the condition that people couldn't jump off it.

SJRB

Gold Member
Wait, you can't reclimb the Space Needle, are you serious? I thought I was missing something, a power maybe that prevented me from going up.

What the fuck.

Just finished the game after staying home from work sick and playing it non stop since breakfast. What an amazing and draining (hiyo) experience.

100% completion
Light (True Hero)

Non-spoiler finale screen (with Cole jacket DLC)
spoiler]

That's not really spoiler free, now is it?

Wait, you can't reclimb the Space Needle, are you serious? I thought I was missing something, a power maybe that prevented me from going up.

What the fuck.

Yeah that kind of blows. SP said in some interview that in order for them to include it in the game, the Space Needle people said they can't jump off of it.

Theres gotta be a way to glitch past the barrier

Andrew.

Banned
Ugh, why did I make the mistake of watching that video of the helicopter being destroyed....

It was beautiful.

The music sounds so badass.

vg260

I loved the first two games, got both platinums. Played this for a few hours and it just isn't doing it for me :/ I'm probably the problem but it's a shame because I bought a ps4 for this.

I'm in the same boat, so far, although it wasn't the sole reason I got a PS4. I'm also renting from Gamefly, so I don't feel on the hook to have to love it. Hopefully it's still early and picks up.

I also feel like a terrible person because after playing so many 60 fps games on the PC recently, jumping back into this felt kinda janky. I think I fall in the smoothness over effects (Ground Zeroes) camp.

Hixx

Poor power progression. Like the less interesting traversal, this one hits me hard. My favorite part of the previous games was the sublime progression of interesting, game-changing skills. Getting a high jump or ability to hover longer vastly changed how I could get around the environment, and I wanted to keep playing to see what I got next. In Second Son, despite having several different power sets available, you unlock the majority of their mechanics immediately after acquiring them. There are still upgrades to be bought, of course, but they tend to be modifications of the core powers available in the set rather than fully new ideas. Unlimited neon dash is cool, no doubt, but it's not exceptionally more interesting than simply mashing the neon dash button in succession. Honestly, I feel like my disappointment with the traversal mechanics is a big factor in my liking the skill progressing less, as I just find all the skills less inherently interesting as a result.

While I agree with your other two points as well, this is the one I agree with the most. It got to the point where I'd go to the upgrade screen and just hit whichever ones were lit up because I didn't really feel like they mattered.

I 100%'ed my Hero playthrough and I'm stuttering along an Infamous one and I have to see it is definitely my least favourite Infamous game.

I just think nearly everything about it is less interesting than Infamous 2. The city feels bland (sorry, Seattle!), the story is boring as shit and poorly told and the traversal and combat didn't really feel as improved as all the impressions led me to believe.

I mean it's still a decent game and I enjoyed it but nowhere near as much as I thought I would and I wouldn't say I had really high expectations. I'm also confused as to why so many people who didn't think much of Infamous prior to SS are now loving this game. It's not vastly different enough to not feel like I1/2 nor is it that much of an improvement over the first two games that I can see why people have been hooked this time.

Dave1988

I'm three powers in and I'm not feeling this game. The graphics are definitely next gen, but the gameplay stays the same with little to no interesting additions. I think my biggest problem is that all the powers really feel the same with a different element tacked onto them.

jet1911

Finished the game with True Hero last night, restarted this morning playing evil this time. The combat is a lot more fun when you don't have to worry about subduing opponents to gain good karma.

Dinjooh

I'm three powers in and I'm not feeling this game. The graphics are definitely next gen, but the gameplay stays the same with little to no interesting additions. I think my biggest problem is that all the powers really feel the same with a different element tacked onto them.

Broadly speaking: I keep my distance with the 2nd power, go up close with the first and go
unseen
with the third.

I think there's enough variety here to warrant the different power sets.

Respect

Just got the third power last night...played around with it a bit, then switched back to neon. It is unique, but I prefer everything about neon. Think I would even stick with smoke over the third power if neon wasn't even in the equation.

KORNdoggy

I'm also confused as to why so many people who didn't think much of Infamous prior to SS are now loving this game. It's not vastly different enough to not feel like I1/2 nor is it that much of an improvement over the first two games that I can see why people have been hooked this time.

it plays better, more varied, more impressive power sets, way more fluid, better traversal, better characters and dialogue, better story, better script, better graphics (obviously) i liked all the past infamous games, but i2 was by far the least enjoyable for me, in all areas bar visuals. i feel like this series is best when your power set is fresh. infamous 2 just felt like a re-tread of infamous 1... it was the bioshock 2 the the original bioshock, whereas second son is the bioshock infinate. i2 refined things, but still felt too similar to be as impressive. and thankfully, with delsin now at the helm, we have a character that is both likable and has far greater potential power wise since he can essentially be anything.

Damn. That sucks. I've been trying to shoot at an enemies feet and have lost mine from accidentally executing an enemy or a stray shot injuring a civilian

Yep. Shooting a subdued enemy in the face because it was an inch to the left of another's foot is kind of disappointing when trying to build up the streak in an intense situation. But now it's evil playthrough time..heads will roll.

Hixx

it plays better, more varied, more impressive power sets, way more fluid, better traversal, better characters and dialogue, better story, better script, better graphics (obviously) i liked all the past infamous games, but i2 was by far the least enjoyable for me, in all areas bar visuals. i feel like this series is best when your power set is fresh. infamous 2 just felt like a re-tread of infamous 1... it was the bioshock 2 the the original bioshock, whereas second son is the bioshock infinate. i2 refined things, but still felt too similar to be as impressive. and thankfully, with delsin now at the helm, we have a character that is both likable and has far greater potential power wise since he can essentially be anything.

I completely disagree with the bolded. Especially it being varied - the side stuff is even worse than Assassin's Creed 1 in levels of shallowness and repetition.

The story is a bit naff as far as super hero stories go. (Going to spoiler it because I know how sensitive some are) "
Defeat the old evil woman to save the tribe!
" is far less interesting than The Beast and Bertrand. Presentation as a whole SS knocks I2 out for the count but the story itself was kind of boring.

I don't think the game is any more fluid either. In fact I'd say non power-based traversal is less so, climbing a building without Neon is fucking infuriating. Saints Row 4 has kind of spoiled me when it comes to super hero traversal I suppose.

Like I said I still think it's a good game just not this huge leap from Infamous 2.

Have completed the game going the evil route...now playing through good

2 things that jarred me from a beautiful game

1) For a game with absolutely stunning graphics at times you stand by a window and there is no reflection???

2) The slowdown at times can be really annoying..especially when you start using the neon rampage power the game slows to a crawl

apart from that..love the story...love the design of the game but the above 2 things spoiled what i think was the best game i have played in years

Raptor

In this game I have fun doing nothing, like just admiring the vistas or the graphics.

I have put maybe close to 10 hours now, maybe 8 and I have cleared the entire first Island or section, True Hero Level, all maxed out Smoke and Neon powers, I can safely say I enjoy more this game than any AC game I have ever played, in this everything I do is fun, plain and simple and looks incredible beautifull to booth.

I will Platinum this game :)

Hixx

What takes Delsin to second island when in the rock?

I didn't work this out until my second playthrough and I felt like a bit of an idiot.

If you haven't finished the game, keep going.

If you have but like me couldn't work it out:
One of Eugene's angels.

GeoMatrix

Banned
In this game I have fun doing nothing, like just admiring the vistas or the graphics.

I have put maybe close to 10 hours now, maybe 8 and I have cleared the entire first Island or section, True Hero Level, all maxed out Smoke and Neon powers, I can safely say I enjoy more this game than any AC game I have ever played, in this everything I do is fun, plain and simple and looks incredible beautifull to booth.

I will Platinum this game :)

Awesome!, I definitely love the Infamous series, don't care how repetitive it is, and I like it way more then AC. With infamous you're given these cool super powers, and they get better as the game progresses, but with AC I felt tasks were too tedious, I didn't care for it.

I 100% the game on Good yesterday. But I never saw anything for the Coles Legacy DLC and my bonus vests from the codes I got for preordering and the Collectors Edition.

People here told me the reason they weren't downloading was because they were licenses and not downloads and the PSN store was showing them as downloads. But nothing happened? I don't have any ! for the Cole stuff and the bonus vests never showed up in the area to choose your best style.

What gives?

Raptor

Awesome!, I definitely love the Infamous series, don't care how repetitive it is, and I like it way more then AC. With infamous you're given these cool super powers, and they get better as the game progresses, but with AC I felt tasks were too tedious, I didn't care for it.

I agree, in this one I only have two powers now but the way they are presented and how good they are it makes you feel like you are becoming more and more powerfull as times passes.

Really love this game and I recomend it to anyone that likes Superhero and Open World games.

I even like teh minigame
Stencil Art
, I don't know if I shoudl spoiler that but I did it anyway, I though that it was implemented very original and cool, love doing those, I wish they were more, maybe 20 for each section lol.

Kaswa101

Story question (spoilers obviously):
How are Fetch and Eugene still alive at the end after Augustine drops them into the ocean, while inside a rock?

Dumb question probably, but I'm seriously confused lol.

vypek

So how hard is the platinum? Do you just have to find all the collectables (shards, etc) and beat the game good and evil?

There are many tougher platinums out there. This one isn't particularly hard or time consuming. There are a few challenge based ones that are just easy and really about just finding the right place or opportunity.

I see an expert difficulty trophy. Not sure I'll be able to get that...

You probably will. You might have to change your play style a little but its doable. If you play on normal first you will know what to expect and what parts might be more difficult for you so you can adjust your tactics. Arguably, you might be better at expert than normal.

Story question (spoilers obviously):
How are Fetch and Eugene still alive at the end after Augustine drops them into the ocean, while inside a rock?

Dumb question probably, but I'm seriously confused lol.

I assume they can just say they are conduits so they are fine. Realistically I don't see how they were still trapped. Fetch can make a radial blast that can break her and Eugene out. I suppose since Augustine wasn't directly manipulating them anymore either one of them could break free. Fetch can blast them out and Eugene could have called an angel to bust them out. But...makes me wonder if they could have saved Reggie.

Oni Jazar

I'm really enjoying the game but I gotta say I'm bummed at the loss of grinding powerlines.

As awesome as the neon powers look I think the "gotta go fast" traversal mechanic is dull. Instead of navigating around the environment with skill you just go straight to your destination and ignore all environmental obstacles. It kind of goes back to the old Infamous versus Prototype arguments and I always loved the more skill based traversal system of Infamous. With Infamous 2 you can really launch yourself across buildings and grind infinitely through the city. It was also super fun just grinding through the monorail lines in Infamous 1.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So I've played a few hours, damn is this game pretty.

A few things, compass points, why do games still get this wrong? There is only a north point marker, which would be fine usually, but it only shows up when you actually have the camera facing north. I don't know about other people but when I am getting used to where stuff is on a map I start by learning the compass and what is where generally on the map, not that it is a big map really, but I always find it to be damn annoying for my sense of direction in the game.

Audio Logs, was that
Nolan North?
, can't help but keep these voice actors together can they, lol. Also, could anyone with Cole's Legacy divulge what you do and any story like bits and bobs that happens in it?

Anyway, back to the game, so very pretty.

Top Bottom