• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinite Undiscovery info/news thread

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
So, since there's plenty of info around about the game now... Me and duckroll thought it was a good idea to make a thread with all the info known about the game. Plenty of people are confused by what this game is, some even call it GENERIC. We are here to educate those people...

0610iud10story.jpg

Story:

Pretty simple. You play as Capell, a flute player as the game calls him, who gets imprisioned because the enemy thinks he is actually the Legendary Hero Sigmund. He gets rescued by Aya (A woman saving a dude... gotta love tri-Ace). Capell then joins the Liberation Army, which is trying to save the world from the Order of Chains. "Wait what the hell is the Order of Chains?" a group led by Leonid, hell bent on... destroying the world. Sounds amazingly original I know!

210hb13.jpg

Worldview:

The world of IU is fully dependent of the moon. Each citizen of this world, has a Lunargram (glyph in the english version) which basically dictates what you'll do in your life. The moon then decided to stop giving its power to this world, and thus lots of natural phenomena are occuring. Aside from this, there really isn't much known about the world of IU.

Characters (revealed so far), their classes and Lunargrams:

0610iud01capel.jpg

Capell - A flute player.
0610iud02aya.jpg
0610iud02ayaluna.jpg

Aya - An archer
0610iud03sigmund.jpg
0610iud03sigmundluna.jpg

Sigmund - A knight
0610iud04edo.jpg
0610iud04edoluna.jpg

Eduardo - Warrior
0610iud07yujin.jpg
0610iud07yujinluna.jpg

Eugene - Priest
0610iud08miru.jpg
0610iud08miruluna.jpg

Miruce/Michelle - Medic
0610iud06roka.jpg
0610iud05rukaluna.jpg

Roka - Summoner
0610iud05ruka.jpg
0610iud05rukaluna.jpg

Luca - Beast User
N/A
Balbagan - Berserker (Think Diablo's Barbarian)
N/A
Gustav - A bear

Gameplay:

Seamless - The combat in Infinite Undiscovery is seamless and there are no transitions. Like many other action RPGs and adventure games the battles take place in the same field of exploration.

Completely real time - The action in the game does not stop flowing, even when you need a time out from combat. Pressing the Back button will make the party sit down to rest, this also opens up the game menu allowing you to use items, change equipment and skills, and so on. But even then the action does not stop, if you do this in the middle of combat enemies will continue to attack without mercy. It is best to find a safe and quiet place before resting.

Draw your blade - The RT button will toggle Capel's combat status between active and passive. When you draw your blade for an active encounter, the rest of the party will follow suit. Should you decide withdraw and run instead, pressing RT again will sheath your sword and the rest of the party will stop fighting as well.

Basic combat - Pressing the A button delivers a normal attack on the targeted enemy, while the B button will deliver a heavy attack. Different combos will result in different sequences of attacks, with the heavy attack always being the final blow in a combo.

Reflect Drive - By timing the LT button at the right time, just before an enemy's blow hits Capel, he will perform a Reflect Drive counter. This counter attack strike will leave the enemy defenseless for a moment allowing you to retaliate with a deadly combo.

Battle Skills - As Capel gains various Battles Skills as he progresses, you will be able to map these attacks onto the X and Y buttons. Pressing the respective button in combat will trigger that skill. You can use a battle skill to finish a chain of regular attacks as well, instead of a heavy attack. Battle Skills take up MP when used.

Action Points - The vertical bar on the right of the screen represents the AP bar. When you gain Action Points, the AP bar increases and goes up. When an enemy is being attacked, the AP bar will indicate a level on the bar. If the current AP bar is higher than that level, heavy attacks and Battle Skills will gain an additional edge. Depending on the type of heavy attack or the individual Battle Skill, the enemy will either be struck into the air, knocked away or smashed onto the ground. This puts the enemy in a vulnerable position for additional combos.

Force - A successive series of combos on an enemy will result in Yellow Force gained for the party. This Yellow Force replenishes Action Points. When a successive series of combos are delivered on an enemy that has been struck into the air, Red Force will give the party additional experience points. A successive series of combos on an enemy that has been smashed onto the ground will result in Green Force, replenishing HP and MP for the party.

Connect Action - Similar to Battle Skills, Capel can also equip two Connect Actions for each party member, mapped to the X and Y buttons. In combat, hitting the RB button will show the Connect Guide which maps each of other other three party members onto a respective button - X, A and B. Hitting that button will connect Capel with that party member. When connected, Capel can still move normally and attack, but pressing X or Y will trigger the respective Connect Action which puts Capel in direct control of that character's respective skill for the moment.

Tactics - While the player controls only Capel, there are different party tactics that can be activated in battle. This will change the way the party behaves and give you better control over any given situation. There are available commands: Move freely, Split up and attack, Concentrate on one enemy, Stay behind and wait, Combo, and Conserve MP.

Party Relations - Sometimes during or after a battle, party members will request to rest and recover. The player can ignore such requests but it will affect relations with that character negatively. Likewise the player can check the personal data of party members when in the camp menu to discover that character's traits and personality. If there is something the character likes or wants, going out of your way to fulfil that request will impact relations with that character positively.

Jobs - Each and every character in the game has a job class. The job class of the characters serve as both character background development, as well as a template for the types of skills the characters have. As Capel is a flute player, he is able to play tunes that can unlock passages and support the party's status.

Situation Battle - Throughout the various fields and dungeons of the game, there are many scripted events known as Situation Battles. These situations will pop up throughout the game as you advance in the story. When you return to areas later, it will be possible to explore more freely without the tension and high octane pace of the scripted events, but whenever the player is advancing in the game, there will be many varied scripted scenarios thrown at you to keep the game exciting and challenging. Some situations will have more than one possible solution, while others will require the player to figure out how to overcome the problem.

Use all your senses - Aside from visual contact, enemies and monsters can be attracted to sound and smell as well. When visual senses are clouded or blocked, the minimap will reflect the other senses instead. If the player uses an item with a strong smell, or performs an action which creates a loud sound, enemies can still be drawn to the party even in darkness.

Videos:
Gameplay demonstration part 1 and 2 - http://www.gamersyde.com/news_6724_en.html

Official site:
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/undiscovery/

credits:
duckroll for the gameplay write up

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
One thing that caught me by surprise is the liked/not liked factor with the characters. I wonder how big the impact of this neat feature is going to be in the gameplay.

Do we have any pics of Gustav?
he was shown in the latest famitsu article, I expect direct feed screens of him soon.

mr stroke

[Seamless - The combat in Infinite Undiscovery is seamless and there are no transitions. Like many other action RPGs and adventure games the battles take place in the same field of exploration.

Completely real time - The action in the game does not stop flowing, even when you need a time out from combat. Pressing the Back button will make the party sit down to rest, this also opens up the game menu allowing you to use items, change equipment and skills, and so on. But even then the action does not stop, if you do this in the middle of combat enemies will continue to attack without mercy. It is best to find a safe and quiet place before resting.

wow, I had no clue..I thought this was turn based like LO.
any new screens?

duckroll

GreekWolf said:
Subscribed

Do we have any pics of Gustav?

Sure, you can see Capel riding him in the latest trailer. There are more pics and artwork of him, but if anyone posted those now I would have to ban them. :(

bryehn

That video we saw the other day reminded me very much of Rogue Galaxy's battle system. I know that other Tri-Ace games are like that too, but the whole real-time, seamless yet still random thing really really reminds me of Rogue Galaxy.

I have this on pre-order, but nothing's really standing out for me yet. As with all RPGs, I won't really know it's for me until after I've played 8-10 hours.

duckroll

bryehn said:
That video we saw the other day reminded me very much of Rogue Galaxy's battle system. I know that other Tri-Ace games are like that too, but the whole real-time, seamless yet still random thing really really reminds me of Rogue Galaxy.

I have this on pre-order, but nothing's really standing out for me yet. As with all RPGs, I won't really know it's for me until after I've played 8-10 hours.

It is nothing like Rogue Galaxy. Do not soil this thread with mention of that disgusting broken filth of a wannabe game. Level 5 will need to actually hire designers that know what a good game is before they'll ever make a RPG on par with anything tri-Ace has done.

Rogue Galaxy triggers encounters as you move. While the battles take place on the same screen, the enemies and "extra" objects in the encounter are teleported in when the battle starts. Infinite Undiscovery is like FFXII, everything that you can possible ever fight, you can see as far as the view distance allows. :p

bryehn

duckroll said:
Infinite Undiscovery is like FFXII, everything that you can possible ever fight, you can see as far as the view distance allows. :p

That's excellent to know. RG was a huge disappointment for me. Sorry to even bring it up, heh.

Quazar

Great thread. I'm hoping we get some intense strategy thinking bosses(or w/e they're calling them).

Little off-topic but when the hell does Famitsu 360 release every month? Is it a set date or no?

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
I have to say this to get it out of my system, I hate little kids that join your party in Jrpgs these days. It was fine when I used to be younger but not anymore.

duckroll

Quazar said:
Great thread. I'm hoping we get some intense strategy thinking bosses(or w/e they're calling them).

Little off-topic but when the hell does Famitsu 360 release every month? Is it a set date or no?

tri-Ace always has "interesting" bosses. Remember the fight with the giant squid in VP2? Or the wyvern fight at the top of the mountain. I expect stuff like that. Situation Battles are essentially the evolution of those sort of boss fights imo.

Famitsu 360 usually hits on the last Friday of every month I think. Why?

Elbrain said:
I have to say this to get it out of my system, I hate little kids that join your party in Jrpgs these days. It was fine when I used to be younger but not anymore.

What if one of them can CONTROL MONSTERS, and the other can SUMMON ELEMENTAL BEINGS? Does that change anything? :)

Alcander

Elbrain said:
Agreed. Although what I dislike more is when your characters, who look like they are in their mid 30s, are like 16 year olds saving the world. Gah!

tehbear

While not as Manalicious as it could be, still heavily WANT.

At first I was cautious about two attacks + 2 specials mapped at once, but really I dealt with it in Folklore and it's still deeper than ES's system. I am thinkin' it'll work.

This is a massive change of pace from the JRPGs I've been playing. I am not sure how easily I'll be able to do the connects, but given the NONSTOP nature of this beast it seems like the right solution.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Alcander said:
Agreed. Although what I dislike more is when your characters, who look like they are in their mid 30s, are like 16 year olds saving the world. Gah!

:lol

Yep.

Has it been announced if there's going to be a demo for this? I'm kinda iffy on RPGs with real-time battle systems. I love FFXII and both Valkyrie Profiles but I don't like Star Ocean, Tales, .hack, or Kingdom Hearts. And the more I hear about the battle system the more it seems to have in common with the games I don't like. I guess there's the hope that the setting and characters and story will make the game enjoyable even thought the battle system is blah, sort of like Radiata Stories.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Great thread!! I'm really looking forward to the release of the game. Will it have any online components (multiplayer/DLC/etc.)? Also, holy crap, I can't believe they aren't going to change the name.

Rpgmonkey

Nice.

I already was hyped for this, but now that I actually know how some of the more confusing bits work, I'm even more excited! :D

Gig said:
Great thread!! I'm really looking forward to the release of the game. Will it have any online components (multiplayer/DLC/etc.)? Also, holy crap, I can't believe they aren't going to change the name.
Yep. If you visit the official site they have a section for DLC in the [Spec] option.

Also if you watch the 2 latest videos provided by Blim you'll notice there's a Live Marketplace option in the title screen.

Ryuuga

Banned
Yes, this thread is definitely needed. Other than the generic warcry there was also a time when people were using VP2 to discredit this game.

Paracelsus

duckroll said:
What if one of them can CONTROL MONSTERS,
and the other can SUMMON ELEMENTAL BEINGS? Does that change anything? :)

*looks at their character design*

No.

Anyway, how's that there's still no demo? Any chance to get it right during the E3?

Paracelsus said:
*looks at their character design*

No.

Anyway, how's that there's still no demo? Any chance to get it right during the E3?
Game hits September. So we still have 2 months for a demo to surface. It would be a great injustice if we didn't get one before release. There's one out there already I'd imagine, its probably boil down to when MS calls for it..

Blackjack

duckroll said:
It is nothing like Rogue Galaxy. Do not soil this thread with mention of that disgusting broken filth of a wannabe game. Level 5 will need to actually hire designers that know what a good game is before they'll ever make a RPG on par with anything tri-Ace has done.
Rogue Galaxy was infinitely better than Star Ocean 3.

Dyno

Does anyone know if this game will have a gambit-like system to help control the NPCs? Square-Enix has been giving their games this feature and though Tri-Ace is the actual maker I thought an innovation like that might creep in.

So asked again: what level of control - if any - can to exert over your party members?

duckroll

Ryuuga said:
Yes, this thread is definitely needed. Other than the generic warcry there was also a time when people were using VP2 to discredit this game.

How can VP2 discredit anything? It's pretty much the best game tri-Ace has ever made.

Blackjack said:
Rogue Galaxy was infinitely better than Star Ocean 3.

2568f3s.jpg

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Rogue Galaxy was fun if you cheated on it. SO3 was still better. I'm guessing this one will have the trademark Tri-Ace dungeon of deep hurting?

Wow thanks for the update duck and error.

The Connect Action system sounds a lot more amazing than I would've thought originally and I really like the sound of Party Relations.

I wasn't into the 2 little kids before, but one is a summoner and the other controls monsters? :lol

Now I wont be able to resist using them.

Someone seriously say Rogue Galaxy was better than Star Ocean 3? Good lord.

this is the first nex gen jrpg released that genuinely interests me...

Is the world fully seamless or are there loading screens?

Also, the kids do look like little buggers

Seems a little early for a thread though

duckroll

nelsonroyale said:
this is the first nex gen jrpg released that genuinely interests me...

Seems a little early for a thread though

Never too early for a news/info summary thread! Tales of Vescrapia had one months ago! :lol

mr stroke said:
Please be the US box art
MGAMEfcacf3e9fbe52a24929013789e597d.jpg

much better than-
200512b.jpg

Both covers are nice, but I honestly think the US one is better. It's...dark, and mysterious, and for some reason fits the title well. A no-character cover is also refreshing. UK's is neat, too, but I give the nod to the US version.

Error said:
this thread isn't about SO3 or RG, can we please talk about IU?

Sure! OK, I'm calling it now: RPG of the year! :D

Ryuuga

Banned
duckroll said:
How can VP2 discredit anything?

I was wondering that myself. Let`s not delve on that though, the very thought gives me a headache. For now, I`ll just go back and play some Terranigma or VP2 til`the awesomeness that is IU releases.

Geoff9920

I only knew of this game through trailers, but based on the OP, the gameplay seems deeper than I expected. Might have to give this one a try.

Top Bottom