• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity: Battlescape - Kickstarter - 181.921$ of 300k$ pledged

I've been following this for a while, they just launched their Kickstarter earlier today.

Kickstarter Link

Infinity: Battlescape is a multiplayer space sim involving hundreds of players split across three competing corporations of the Starfold Confederacy fighting for control of a procedurally generated, true to scale solar system filled with planets, moons, asteroid belts, and other celestial phenomenon. Seamless planetary transitions will bring combat from deep space to the surface of alien worlds. The primary goal will be to destroy your enemies and their infrastructure through orbital bombardment from capital ships and/or an array of smaller spacecraft including bombers, interceptors, and corvettes.

• Engage 100's of players in epic space battles involving everything from small, nimble interceptors up to immense, powerful capital ships
  • Seamless interplanetary warfare across a procedurally generated, true to scale solar system
  • No loading screens! (except when the game first starts)
  • Jaw dropping visuals allow you to experience alien worlds in a way you previously could only dream of
  • Newtonian physics with different flight models for atmosphere and space
  • Offline sandbox mode for exploring and trying out different ship/weapon combinations
  • Windows PC
  • Community oriented focus with support for modding

planet-5.gif

landingpad.gif

action2.gif

Nokterian

Oh woah! Are these the same peeps who did the Infinity space engine/game way back in 2006?

No this is a team working on it for nearly 5 years and space engine is done by one guy.

I hope it gets funded there so much potential and it looks crazy when you see rings around a planet going closer and seeing bases on asteroids.

Megauap

You should change the title to "raised" instead of "funded". I thought it was already funded haha
It looks good maybe I will back it in a couple of days.

No this is a team working on it for nearly 5 years and space engine is done by one guy.

I hope it gets funded there so much potential and it looks crazy when you see rings around a planet going closer and seeing bases on asteroids.

Sorry, not space engine, I'm thinking of this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L3nfVTBcG18

I think it is the same people actually! Really cool that this is finally getting out into the world.... Almost a decade later lol

zoozilla

You should change the title to "raised" instead of "funded". I thought it was already funded haha
It looks good maybe I will back it in a couple of days.

Same. I thought, "only $600,000 for a multiplayer space sim? Good luck with that!"

Their real goal makes more sense.

It's kind of crazy to see the resurgence of the space-sim genre these days! Who thought that would happen five years ago?

DrBo42

Was watching someone stream this today, really impressive prototype. Can't say the adversarial only multiplay doesn't concern me.

Dwarden

Bohemia Interactive
watching I-novae engine development for decade (or longer) and it's nice to see finally kickstarter and crowdfund to happen ;)
80k already

Akronis

Backed for $85. This looks very promising. Elite Dangerous is pretty damn boring so I hope this succeeds :D

Still waiting for Star Citizen :p

Buggy Loop

Alright, fuck it i backed it.

The planetary transitions just look too fucking good. And it seems more to scale than Elite dangerous, the asteroids especially. I have also a bad feeling how FD will fix the out of supercruise transitions because of "multipalyer".

mnannola

Videos look great, but I have some doubt that they can put out a finished product because they have spent so long on it.

I hope it gets backed, but I am going to hold off until the game is out.

XPE

This kind of reminds me of Planetside 2 in space, I've backed and love what Star Citizen is doing but the one thing I don't like about it that the universe seems a bit static, I would love it if your side could take over a solar system and this game look like what I'm looking for.

Burny

Hoping it gets funded as well - pledged for Beta Access so did my part. Although I don't know when I'm supposed to play this between Elite and Star Citizen if the latter manages to put out a playable PU already.

From what I gathered on the Kickstarter page, this distinguishes itself from ED and SC by its scale and multiplayer concept. Both Elite and SC (at least it aims to) offer a kind of Galaxy with multiple solar systems in which players play similar to an MMO, but aren't all on the same server and can see each other, but are matched into instances when they're in the same region.

Here, players are apparently supposed to play in a single solar system that is backed by a single live server. All players are able to see each other and are divided into conflicting factions, which build, control, figth over/destroy space stations and ships. It sounds like a very larger scale versus match. Players are supposed to be able to run their own servers.

It's over halfway funded now. Hopefully the pace keeps up and it becomes fully funded! This is the space game I'm looking forward to most.

Window

So 18 days remaining. How are its chances of being successfully funded looking?

Also I do hope a mod changes the thread title to make it clear this hasn't been funded yet. May attract more attention that way.

Burny

This won't decide over whether the project gets funded or not, but I second a threat title change for accuracy alone:

181.921$ of 300k$ pledged

Burny

Looks to me like they might just scrape by the 300k stretchgoal if they're lucky. It's a pitty, considering the hundreds of dollars people have spend on sometimes mere concept ship pledges of Star Citizen. Granted, Battlescape doesn't promise a grand seemless first person MMO with Starships and isn't as photogenic up close, but the seemless movement from planet surface through a solar system is something neither Star Citizen with its limited FPS hub 1st person levels on planets, nor Elite with its instanced supercruise and orbital cruise can provide.

Some of those stretch goals would certainly be nice to have:

$400k - Better, more detailed damage model for internal ship systems.
$500k - We add the Fighter class, a cross between the Interceptor and Bomber. Increased quality of capital ships.
$600k - Improved atmospheric effects such as volumetric clouds, storms, etc
$800k - The game will include support for mods and a virtual marketplace similar to steam workshop.
$1 million - Social integration combined with support for player corporations, squadrons, and a framework for competitive matches.
$1.5 million - Base building and semi-persistence.
$2.5 million - We add a second faction: the Astralis Collective. This new faction comes with their own unique art style and an additional set of ships for you to fly!

Burny

281.582$ pledged at the time of writing. I've increased my pledge to 100$, but that's as far as I'll go. Seems to be a very close shave.

Doesn't help either that they're showing a great looking prototype, but the earliest any pledger will get to play the alpha according to the pledge tiers is almost a year from now.

James-Ape

show some balls, man
I thought this would have done a bit better, it's a shame that it's just barely crawling over the target. Maybe they were too late to the party.

I have pledged :)

Burny

297k$ and counting. Seems they'll manage after all. ^^

Pity this hasn't breezed past the inital stretchgoals, but after the kickstarter is hopefully succesful, there is still room for early access sales or further funding through their own website.

mnannola

Glad this thing got funded. Can't wait to check it out, some of the technology looks really impressive. Hope they get the gameplay down.

XPE

Backed, Glad to see they made their funding goals I think some of the stretch goals could have be a bit better tho.

Top Bottom