• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Ward ops to show PS4 footage for COD IGN vids- a series first since MS deal?

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with wanting to know the truth, but flat saying they are deliberate liar is another matter entirely.
Would it really surprise you if Phil Spencer and Albert Penello did actually know the resolution of the game?
It's the biggest franchise out there, it's part of a major co-marketing deal with one of the biggest publishers. It launches in like three weeks?

I can fully accept that they can't say anything.

I can also accept that they can't even say anything to the effect of "I know, but can't say anything." Because that in itself is basically an admission at this stage.

The closest they can come to that is probably, "If I did know I couldn't say."

But it frankly beggars belief that whoever the multiple people famousmortimer is talking to that are confirming this to him know and people within Microsoft's entertainment division do not.

Vire

Better question, if you were Microsoft and you already knew your resolution was significantly lower than the competition, how would you handle it?

Delay the game? Delay the console?

Admit it and claim you have more exclusives and dedicated servers (lol)

Or just keep silence and hope you get as many sales as possible till Digital Foundry roles around?

co1onel

Truer words have never been spoken. It's a no win situation.

I have to agree. He said he was tweeted a lot about the resolution, he should have just stayed quiet. It was never really his job to release that information in the first place, and I guess he is just the first guy people around here would go to for a response to something like that.

Ein Bear

Not trying to troll or anything, am genuinely curious - does the Xbox One actually have any games that are 100% confirmed as running in 1080p?

teiresias

Albert, just wanted to say that I think you're doing a good job.

You can't let nobody hold you down. You can't let nobody take your pride. Ya gotta keep on moving past these haters.

I dunno. It seems to me that Albert wants the privilege of coming on the forum to run PR with just enough plausible deniability to claim that he isn't actually doing PR. He's not an engineer, so he can't speak authoritatively on any technical aspects without vetting it through who knows how many layers of engineering staff and fellows (who - surprise surprise - were completely available to him to do so when they could manage to try and create some spin to try and make the technical specs of the machine look not quite as abysmal), and yet at the same time we're supposed to believe that he can't get simple resolution information from someone in MS that would have the responsibility of interacting with Activision?

I'm sorry, you can't piss on my X360 and tell me it red-ringed because I left it sitting out in the rain. PR is PR, man up to it, particularly when you're so obviously selectively disseminating information based on how good it makes you look - the very definition of PR.

KAOS

Albert please ask your friend which looks better on the X1... COD Ghost or BF4?

Regardless of resolution gamers loyal to the Xbox brand who are moving on to X1 need to know what game to support this coming gen (evil smile)!

As an individual then, do you believe personally that the fact those in that seperate organization are keeping mum for this long while Sony gleefully goes about saying "native 1080p" implies something negative?

As a gamer, completely dispassionately Albert, and without the dressing: do you as a person with an opinion believe that this indicates we shouldn't all be starting to draw some very real conclusions?

Not at all. You, as a student of the industry, should know that there are MANY factors at play here. Marketing deals, state of the code, competitive pressures. We show stuff at E3 first then gets announced later for PS, then they show something that gets announced later for us. There are a ton of examples of this.

Why did NBA show on PS4 then immediately disclose 1080p on Xbox One? Why isn’t Activision saying anything? Why are certain games showing first on ours, or first on theirs? Why go games get delayed? Quality? Tuning?

You should know by now that there is never one answer in all these cases. Sometimes it’s bad, sometimes it’s not.

I’ll be bummed if it’s true. But the fact nobody is saying anything doesn’t make me jump to conclusions.

EvB

Better question, if you were Microsoft and you already knew your resolution was significantly lower than the competition, how would you handle it?

Keep quiet, because at this stage nothing is going to make it better.

It's quite normal for PR

We saw it with Driveclub last week
We see it with Sony no longer shouting about certain sales figures.

Activision is upset that Microsoft is cuddling up with ea/raspawn (titanfall, for those who don't know).
Now it's payback time by delivering a 720p version to their old friend. (Titanfoil hat mode)

JABEE

I just feel sorry for Albert whenever tech talk comes up. He's clearly not a technical guy, no offense meant, and it just makes it seem to some users like he's hiding something when he actually just plain doesn't know. The technical fellow situation just made things worse since the TF clearly didn't think that GAF would be able to dissect the claims as much as we did and Albert got shot as the messenger.
He has a tough job. He's here to control the message and it is difficult to do when you are working with a product that has been designed and modified so much since its reveal.

There was a very large current of people and experts who assumed that dedicated gamers would jump on without thinking to the new Xbox.

It's difficult to come up with answers to questions when there was very little anticipation of so much hostility and skepticism to a product that was on the path to continuing where Xbox left off last generation.

jaypah

When you put it this way, I mostly agree.

However, this is the very first measurable confirmation of something we've suspected since early this year, that multiplatform games would perform better on PS4's hardware.

It's kind of a big deal.

I never said it wasn't a big deal. That it was a big deal was exactly my point. This is what we do, no shame at all. But what I don't like is being lumped into the "oh, you think GAF is a hivemind" shit like I'm some kind of fanboy. All I did was point out that a lot of the people that hyped up the COD720 thread admittedly weren't buying a 180. At that point it transcends concern and goes into "watching a train wreck" territory.

Tamanon

Banned

Delay the game? Delay the console?

Admit it and claim you have more exclusives and dedicated servers (lol)

Or just keep silence and hope you get as many sales as possible till Digital Foundry roles around?

Just not mention the word "native" in your promo materials, that's all.

frizby

Of course not. First, Call of Duty has nothing to fear from the sales of Killzone. Nothing at all. Second imo, even if it was 720p on PS4, the sales would not be that negatively impacted versus Killzone.

And finally, and most importantly, that's usually not how it works. Why didn't many last-gen games feel the need to compete with the native 720p games?

Yeah, I'm probably giving Killzone too much credit.

It just feels to me like this is finally the year where consumers measure CoD against other games in the genre and find it sorely lacking (Killzone, BF, Titanfall and even Blacklight: Retribution and Planetside 2).

But don't mind me. I underestimate CoD every year. lol

Albert please ask your friend which looks better on the X1... COD Ghost or BF4?

Regardless of resolution gamers loyal to the Xbox brand who are moving on to X1 need to know what game to support this coming gen (evil smile)!

I've actually seen them both running. So here you go and you won't like my answer: since both companies are partners with us, I'm not going to say. I do have an opinion, but I'll wait for the community to decide.

I've gotta agree with Albert here. Not the coolest way to engage him or MS.

I'm not convinced he doesn't know, but I'll bet it's true that he can't say.

HOWEVER, if he couldn't say, he never should have chimed in.

You know, why was it so uncool?..he said it was "pretty weird" and that was about it. If that's not cool or rude then gimme a break. Albert was asking Twitter like the day before for a list of the resolutions of 3rd party titles, then the next day was trying to say resolutions didn't matter in reference to COD.

Albert has put himself out there, with his magical mathematics and open dialogue with gamers. If someone cannot call him out on something, or he is disappointed when they do, then he shouldn't be trying to interact with his potential customers. This IS the way this business works, at least from the social media aspect of interacting with gamers.

I just feel sorry for Albert whenever tech talk comes up. He's clearly not a technical guy, no offense meant, and it just makes it seem to some users like he's hiding something when he actually just plain doesn't know. The technical fellow situation just made things worse since the TF clearly didn't think that GAF would be able to dissect the claims as much as we did and Albert got shot as the messenger.

Albert gets a lot of undeserved shit sometimes, but honestly, I'm not going to feel sorry for him about it that much.

I understand that Albert is passionate, and wants to explain/clarify/debunk things said about him that's wrong,blahblahblah. But he chose to be in a lot of those discussions, and like the technical parts. I know the rest of you didn't, but I still gave him the benefit of the doubt that he could prove that a gap didn't exist... and he couldn't.

Albert lost a lot of credibility there. It's not surprising people has an inherent distrust of his position now, regardless of the fact that it's probably true he doesn't know the resolution of Ghost in an official capacity.

Vire

I've actually seen them both running. So here you go and you won't like my answer: since both companies are partners with us, I'm not going to say. I do have an opinion, but I'll wait for the community to decide.

Who on earth is confused which one looks better? Everyone knows it's Battlefield.

Why even beat around the bush about this.

Tamanon

Banned
Today during the Brazil conference. Adam Boyes dropping elbows son!

Do you really think GAF would be satisfied with them just saying "it runs at 1080p"

You know damn well Amir0x would follow up with - "native?"

Oh I know GAF wouldn't be satisfied, but the media probably would just run with it and it wouldn't cause too much of a fuss until copies were already bought.

giantsx6

Banned
I'm just wondering how a game with last gen graphics, is lower resolution than the last cod on the 360. Can someone explain how it makes any sense.

hawk2025

I was about to say -- c'mon, how can he possibly answer that and NOT have it plastered on multiple gaming sites within minutes while potentially damaging the relationship with a partner :p

Be reasonable, guys!

stryke

Not trying to troll or anything, am genuinely curious - does the Xbox One actually have any games that are 100% confirmed as running in 1080p?

Forza has been pixel counted.

I think that Zoo game is 1080 as well.

Frankly Ryse has been pixel counted and we still get 1080p so who knows...

Amir0x

Banned
Not at all. You, as a student of the industry, should know that there are MANY factors at play here. Marketing deals, state of the code, competitive pressures. We show stuff at E3 first then gets announced later for PS, then they show something that gets announced later for us. There are a ton of examples of this.

Why did NBA show on PS4 then immediately disclose 1080p on Xbox One? Why isn’t Activision saying anything? Why are certain games showing first on ours, or first on theirs? Why go games get delayed? Quality? Tuning?

You should know by now that there is never one answer in all these cases. Sometimes it’s bad, sometimes it’s not.

I’ll be bummed if it’s true. But the fact nobody is saying anything doesn’t make me jump to conclusions.

Alright, I trust you're being genuine. I just am really trying to feel the bottom of the well. But for the record, yes there are a lot of variables within different scenarios in the industry as you mentioned. But with this specific event, I cannot personally see many variables. You guys are partnered with them. I mean, I don't know how else to interpret such a thing other than either a.) someone failed hard at their job by now finding out it was 1080p all along or b.) someone is doing their job by preventing this news from coming out. It simply doesn't make much sense to me otherwise. But, yes, even I must acknowledge there may still potentially be other variables I am not thinking of. So, fair enough.

And I have to say, I think if we find out this was 1080p all along natively, you guys would need to ask yourselves - or the 3rd party relations team anyway - why it was that they so blatantly failed to stop the bleeding when they could have and Sony was able to do it with ease?

I want competition in this industry, and it seems every big player has to go through a very tough generation or two sometimes. I suspect this is your such generation, but I hope you guys find your fighting feet and return to form. I really want to be enthusiastic when I jump on board.

Top Bottom