• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Influenced? IGN + Game Informer = EVERY major multiplatform release 8.5 or higher

MormaPope

Banned
"But all these games are good"

No, they´re not.

They´re big budget games. But they´re not exactly good.

Think about GTAIV. Got the same "perfect" scores back at release, sold very well, had a bunch of people saying its the best game ever over the internet..... and today we all see its a really really bad game.

Maybe if you think there's a videogame bible that says so, but I personally enjoy the game still, as do others.

Was it rated too highly? Yeah. Is it a really bad game? No.

fuenf

I don't know if the reviews of the games listed are deserved, but I do know that most gamers would buy any of those games without ever reading a review.

Crysis 2 on PS3 was the last game I bought whose average score of 7-8/10 was way off. That's a 5/10 game right there. Short, linear, laggy mess with poor multiplayer.

Crysis 2? It's longer and more open than most other current-gen console FPS.

MormaPope

Banned

Granted, once you understand how OP the invisibility is(how long you can be invisible, taking cover behind stuff to regain invisibility) the game can be beaten in a few hours.

First playthrough is probably around 7 hours.

Compare the scores of games from the 2 groups major/non-major releases for the 2 publications to how they fare on metacritic, measure variance and that will tell you whether these 2 specific publications on these specific kind of games are outliers compared to the rest of the press and games.

Right now, it's a pretty weak argument to prove a point I actually believe (that these guys are paid off one way or another).

Because you played them all or because the critics said so?

Because of impressions on here, impressions from critics and through playing a lot of them, yes.

OP's data is flawed anyway, as he's only using one score from each site for each title - and neglecting widespread praise from elsewhere.

If the problem is that 9/10 is a near perfect score and the scale is faulty, then that's a wider issue and not cause for shouts about collusion or corruption.

We all know that a lot of sides abuse the scale, so therefore the more sensible option to gauge influence/corruption would be to look at the actual review text in comparison to other sources. Shouting about an arbitrary number tagged onto the end of a lengthy piece of writing seems disingenuous and misleading.

fuenf

Granted, once you understand how OP the invisibility is(how long you can be invisible, taking cover behind stuff to regain invisibility) the game can be beaten in a few hours.

First playthrough is probably around 7 hours.

Sure but that's a choice the player makes. On a harder difficulty and a balanced playstyle it's easily 10-12h long.

ari

Banned
Ign is the only website that i trust in all honestly.

Because of impressions on here, impressions from critics and through playing a lot of them, yes.

OP's data is flawed anyway, as he's only using one score from each site for each title - and neglecting widespread praise from elsewhere.

If the problem is that 9/10 is a near perfect score and the scale is faulty, then that's a wider issue and not cause for shouts about collusion or corruption.
ok, that's thread.

This is why I don't read reviews anymore - every score is inflated and most written reviews are too over the top with praise that you can't get anything from them. I love the defense that "but every game is good!" No they aren't.

This is why I don't read reviews anymore - every score is inflated and most written reviews are too over the top with praise that you can't get anything from them. I love the defense that "but every game is good!" No they aren't.

There are numerous reviews out there from all the major publications that focus on negatives and explore problems. I'd say that your criticism of them is also somewhat inflated.

Daedardus

The wider issue is giving a score at all. Every person has different tastes. You can't say a game is good because lots of people (including you) liked it. You can only say you find the game to be good.

I don't know if the reviews of the games listed are deserved, but I do know that most gamers would buy any of those games without ever reading a review.

Maybe linear is the wrong word but compared to Crysis, maybe it isn't.

I'd have to write a wall of text for why I think C2 is very average but just the gunplay on console. It just feels wrong and it's not satisfying, perhaps due to 20 fps in certain sections.

And the multiplayer was terrible. Beaten hands down by Killzone 3 released at the same time.

The wider issue is giving a score at all. Every person has different tastes. You can't say a game is good because lots of people (including you) liked it. You can only say you find the game to be good.

Then the problem is that people are going into reviews expecting them to be a tell all recommendation rather than an entertaining piece of writing which conveys a critics opinion, from which the reader can extrapolate their own thoughts.

People focus too much on a score, and often skip the text entirely - thus why sites continue to use them/abuse them. I know I'm guilty of it, and I'm sure many others here are.

I don't just read a review to find out if I should buy a game, I read reviews because they can be well structured pieces which accurately convey someone's experience with the game.

I do agree that scores need to be sorted out in some cases, because they do feel tacked on - but look at the recent debacle over Uncharted 3 recieving an 8 on Eurogamer, and the vitriol aimed towards the site/author in the comments section, because people were directly comparing the score alone to other games (a big no no I'd guess) and appalled that it 'only' got an 8, while failing to look over the text/justifications from the individual author at all, or dismissing them blindly. They exist at present because the readership wants them unfortunately.

Saying that, a number of sites don't have the typical scores - Kotaku for example, which does place more emphasis on the writing.

fuenf

Maybe linear is the wrong word but compared to Crysis, maybe it isn't.

I'd have to write a wall of text for why I think C2 is very average but just the gunplay on console. It just feels wrong and it's not satisfying, perhaps due to 20 fps in certain sections.

And the multiplayer was terrible. Beaten hands down by Killzone 3 released at the same time.

Yeah I see. But that's another problems with reviews in general, how should games be judged objectively? Should the PS3 version of Crysis 2 be compared to Crysis 1 PC (or C2 PC), or simply be judged among it's peers (CoD, Killzone 2/3, Resitance). In the first case I could understand a 5 or 6, but otherwise it's easily an 8.

Let's not forget not every gamer owns every available plattform and can choose the best version / best games in their genre.

smr00

Banned
Everyone is saying "those games are actually good".

That's not the point. They aren't top 10 percent good.

I don't bother reading GI reviews anymore. Their scores are horribly inflated.
I agree with the scores of almost everything on that list.

I don't see the problem here.

Yeah I see. But that's another problems with reviews in general, how should games be judged objectively? Should the PS3 version of Crysis 2 be compared to Crysis 1 PC (or C2 PC), or simply be judged among it's peers (CoD, Killzone 2/3, Resitance). In the first case I could understand a 5 or 6, but otherwise it's easily an 8.

It shouldn't be judged directly to the PC version, nor should it be judged amongst its peers solely either - a reader doesn't want to hear about Killzone 3 or how poor their version looks compared to a high end custom built rig, they want to hear about the game itself and the experience provided by it as an individual product.

Of course sometimes it's necessary to bring in comparisons, and often helpful to the overall text, but it should never be judged just on how it fares to another game (well, unless it's an obvious clone I guess like BrickCraft or something similarly unsubtle lol)

just my thoughts though.

Pociask

Let's not forget not every gamer owns every available plattform and can choose the best version / best games in their genre.

Games shouldn't be judged objectively. Yesterday on another thread I was talking about things the film industry does better - one other area I like are the old Siskel and Ebert review's, where they would give either a thumbs up or thumbs down - no pretending to quantify it. In the end, it came down to whether the reviewer liked the movie or not.

Also, LOL at people saying "of course AAA games are good, big budgets!" Yeah, and every summer blockbuster is right up there with Citizen Kane.

Revven

RE6 is one of the games in the OP that is actually a pretty bad game, yet GI gave it such a high score compared to the overwhelming majority who disliked it and found a lot of flaws with the game.

Though, I do not think this is the proper way to try and prove that their reviews are influenced by the publisher and/or others.

pants

where is that picture of the journalist calling a game out as broken and stupid and then slapping an A+ score on it when i need it?

where is that picture of the journalist calling a game out as broken and stupid and then slapping an A+ score on it when i need it?
Dan Hsu's review of Gears of War? Apparently the full review is a bit more balanced.

shoe.jpg

Derrick01

Banned
Where have you guys been with game informer? I've gotten their magazine monthly for like 5 years now. You rarely see anything get lower than a 7 and it's only shovelware that does.

Hitman: Absolution is not a 9.0

Yeah even if you pretend it's a completely new IP it's far too broken as a stealth game to get a 9. But hey it's a big AAA game.

sammy

Let's not be naive, some publishers and any number of other pseudo-powerful interests would give good money to get their grubby-hands on manipulating review numbers. Especially in these Metacritic days.
You don't need a tinfoil cap to suspect that Public-Relations goons out there are trying to do their job...

Like others have mentioned those are some great titles (some I have not played beyond the demo) but I wouldn't be one bit surprised if game journalists aren't sometimes approached. All we can hope for is that those journalists will be outspoken against it as they change jobs.

Zaph

Can't speak for OP's theory, but 85+ seems to be the magic Metacritic score publishers aim for (one infamous example)

I do not believe money changes hands for review scores, the industry isn't that simple, but it's obvious as day that certain publications and EiC's know what it takes to get preferential treatment from publishers/marketers and stay in their good books.

Omega

Banned
Well a lot of those games are good.
just at a quick glance, Madden, WWE 13 are rated way too high

i liked WWE 13, but it doesn't even deserve a 4. MP barely worked and when it did, the game has so many exploits the matches are boring as shit. it also feels like it has less content than previous games (last one i played was SvR 2006) and somehow graphics got worse

jinutsu

Neo Member
Resident Evil 6 8.75 (GI)

That is my one and only beef with the whole list. Otherwise it seems fairly valid. Most of those games have big budgets and should have a lot of redeemable qualities.

Not to break this into a side discussion but RE6 is the worst game in the linear history of Resident Evil.

Ding-Ding

Really stopped reading reviews along time ago. It was mainly down to inconsistency. All to often I would find games with similar faults but some games got a pass while others got hammered.

It also gets my goat that a game that seems to have individual scores that dont make sense. How is it that a game with a totally brain dead story, which even the reviewer highlights, still manages to pull a high score in that sub category. It just seems like they have a score to hit and they just pull the figures out of their backside

Lucifon

And...? I'd say all of the games in that list can be justified as an 8.5+. They're all good games if you like those genres.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Well it begs the question, I'm not saying they are influenced, but there's only two options here:

1) They are influenced, which means you can't trust the validity, and they're unnecessary.

2) They aren't influenced and the games are this good, but since virtually every multiplatform game is considered this good, reviews are unnecessary.

The end result is the same. Isn't it a virtual lock one way or another that Madden 14, NBA 2K14, Watch Dogs, Assassins Creed 4, Battlefield 4, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 4, are ALL guaranteed 8.5's (and probably above) this holiday?

It's become completely unnecessary to consider any media commentary on games in purchasing decisions.

That logic is horrible! First of all maybe Assassin Creed games or Madden games are consistently good anyway. And to be honest most of those games in your list are good. The fight that most have is, is it 8.0 good, 8.5 good, 9.0 great, or 9.5 awesome. It's a bunch of splitting hairs.

But reviews still matter if you actually "READ THE WORDS" and not put most of the importance on the numbered score.

mxgt

Banned
If a game is 'good' it should be 6-7

Scores in the OP make those games out to be great and near perfect and that really isn't the case with the large majority of them.

It's both money influence and that game review scores are overinflated to an embarrassing level.

GQman2121

Banned
Quick looks are the future. More so than a written review with a score attached to it, I can learn, and build self-hype-interest in a game 100 times more by visually seeing it in action and hearing a reviewer talk about it. Those Giant Bomb quick looks for games like Hitman and Far Cry 3 showed me exactly what I needed to see to make a decision on where I want to spend my money.

The problem with taking reviews seriously from outlets like IGN and GI (and I would throw Gametrailers in there too) is that they have no real identity. I mean, maybe they do and I just don't pay close enough attention, but outside of McNamara at GI, and I guess, Miller at IGN (who’s about as professional as a squirrel with a tie on), I don't know any of their staff—and more importantly, what their taste in games are.

Is the reviewer reviewing this game for themselves or on behalf of the entire outlet? If it’s the latter, how much influence do those who are in on that conversation have on what is projected in the actual review? And is that even fair to the reader and game that you’re getting a mixed bag of opinions? It's a problem.

In the case of Gametrailers, I don’t believe they publicly acknowledge who the reviewer even is. It’s just implied, I guess, that the site as an entity supports the bullet points and numbers that are attached. While I think GT does a good job putting their reviews together, I really don’t like their scoring system or that I don’t know who reviewed the game. It’s all very off putting to me, as more times than not, the numbers do not correlate with what has been mentioned verbally in the review.

In the end it doesn't help that the majority of the audience—whose eyes they're battling each other for—is prone to attach themselves to numbers or grades rather than the context of the content. That helps absolutely no one, yet, will never go away. Ever.

Trike

just at a quick glance, Madden, WWE 13 are rated way too high

i liked WWE 13, but it doesn't even deserve a 4. MP barely worked and when it did, the game has so many exploits the matches are boring as shit. it also feels like it has less content than previous games (last one i played was SvR 2006) and somehow graphics got worse

Yeah, but besides those yearly sports titles nothing seems out of the ordinary. They probably are rated a little bit too high over all, but I don't think it is some sort of grand conspiracy.

If anything it is the games not on the list that are suspect, the forgotten average to bad games that still managed to get decent-to-good reviews. Although I do believe that Game Informer does boost reviews of games that are heavily advertise, regardless of quality, I don't think they are the worst when it comes to reviews by far. Play Magazine gave Army of Two: 40th Day a 95/100. Let that sink in before you dive into their archives and see what else did live up to the Army of Two 2 quality standard.

Opiate

There's no need to go on gut feeling here. (Indeed, doing so is very likely to wallow in confirmation bias). Just look at the metacritic stats for IGN and Game Informer. On average, GI grade half a percentage point higher than other critics. On average, IGN grade 4% lower than other critics.

So they aren't especially out of whack, even if in particular cases they're more forgiving.

What you'd really need to do is break those review averages down by game type. For example, do we see a disproportionately positive correlation between marketing budget and IGN review score? Between production cost and Game Informer review score?

I'm hardly interested enough to do the math myself, but that's what you would really need. It's entirely plausible that Game Informer is, for example, harsher on smaller and indie titles, while simultaneously more lenient to big games released by EA/Take 2/Ubisoft/ActivisionBlizzard.

Given that I have such low esteem for gaming journalism in general, I would hardly care whether IGN is worse than average or not; they're all bad.

Rolf NB

Based on your list of examples, a less seedy possibility is: big budget games with lots of talent and resources behind them are generally pretty good.
Corrolary: big production budgets lead to proportionally big marketing budgets; big marketing budgets make anything appear better, more relevant than it is.

Top Bottom