• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Injustice 2 (PS4/XB1) announced, has (microtransaction?) gameplay changing lootcrates

How excited are you about gameplay changing loot crates (maybe w/ microtransactions)?

Results are only viewable after voting.

kAmui-

CGI trailers add nothing to knowing what a game will be like.

Alll this trailer is tell me "There will be an Injustice 2". Telling people this in a tweet with a handful of text characters costs far less than producing a trailer like this...

A trailer like this will create a lot more hype than just a tweet. That being said, so would a gameplay trailer. But I understand why they would do this. Release a cgi trailer before E3 to create hype, and then gameplay at E3.

Zukkoyaki

"The Gear System uses RPG-like mechanics to reward you with loot drops every time you play the game. With each loot drop, you will earn character-specific gear to outfit and power up your roster – changing not only the look of each character, but your fight strategy and your personal approach to every match. As you gear up your characters, you’re building a roster of DC Super Heroes and Super-Villains that reflects your choices, and your preferences, which can be vastly different than your opponents. A few play sessions in, you can expect your Aquaman to look and play different than anyone else’s Aquaman you may come across."

How is this going to work for tournament play?

An early theory is that there will be a vanilla mode with no power-ups/gear... Or maybe it will go the Smash route of being able to turn it all off. Ultimately though, we have no idea at this point.

This.

It's money-burning bullshit and it needs to go.

Wih graphics like they are today, there's absolutely no reason not to do your trailer in-engine at the very least.

Complaining about it is more useful than looking at a bullshit PR device that adds nothing to the game but false expectations and lies.

Maybe it's different for comic book nerds? I can see some appeal there, seeing high-budget CG versions of superheroes you like.
I still enjoy a good CG trailer for the purpose of setting tonal expectations. This is a cool, evocative teaser that sets up the universe in a way that gameplay footage absolutely cannot. It's serving a defined function, just as every other part of the marketing machine does.

Complaints add nothing to the discussion, especially when we're logically less than a week away (at most) from seeing gameplay.

Sonson21

Banned
Sweet gems all over again. We've all seen how well that worked out for SFXT. Whatever I guess, casuals will have something to eat up. Pimping their character with neon armor.

How many parts will each armour set be split into? I'm thinking Head, Torso, Waist, Arms, Legs - like Monster Hunter. Each part is a stat boost, a complete set gives you a new special move or two or a unique skill or buff of some kind.

That's how I would do it if I wanted to nickle and dime people.

Armours and loot drops Warner . Really ?

jonathantornado.gif

Well, neat trailer, did not expect Supergirl to be one of the combatants. Really interested in how they go with this story wise.

Johndoey

Banned
Yoooooo! It's ya boy Atrocitus all up in dis. Someone hold me I'm shivering. Thank you Boon.

The loot system could be interesting, I got enough faith in Nr to see where they're going with it.

Beside they'll have base versions so that's not a huge concern.

witness

A gear system? Fuck that man, no thank you. Adding this just to make that microtransaction money. Sounds game ruining for me.

Starring hench Lee Evans as Superman....

I enjoyed the first one, not sure on the armour stuff but looking forward to seeing some gameplay.

KonradLaw

No PC version? :( I hope it's just to avoid complains about delayed PC version and instead the will announce it after console lauch.

kiguel182

Rpg elements in a fighting game isn't really appealing to me. Combining it with micro transactions probably makes it worse.

Oh well.

Tabby

We haven't even seen or heard anything about how this works and everyone is already losing their minds.

Oh man I am excited for this...
Every battle defines you in a game where players personalize iconic DC characters with unique and powerful gear earned throughout the game
Nevermind, all hope is lost!

XAL

There is no poll option for:

"FUCK NO. Remember when alternate costumes used to be unlockable and fairly achievable by players who paid for the game? Now we have to fork over dough or face exploitative slot machine odds. Great."

I really don't want these kind of microtransaction crates to permeate every fucking game genre.

Trailer is hype tho.

ZeroX03

Banned
His combos would just be him running around snapping, a second goes by and sonic booms just rip people apart.

In the Injustice world they all take Kryptonian pills so they all have superhuman tolerance on par with Supes himself. Also Flash is Barry so he's very incompetent.

That's a fighting game based on comic books for ya'.

OmegaDL50

Injustice used absolutely nothing from MK9, it was a world different in regards to mechanics and gameplay.

This is pointless semantics. You know exactly what I mean.

Unless you really want to argue the point that Injustice does not at all borrow the baseline foundations that MK9 was built on. Attack animations are similar, timing and specials are done in the same fashion. The Super Move uses the same command as the X-Ray. Besides stage transitions and interactive stage elements (which were reused in MKX), the underlying core is very similar.

So no, Injustice borrows plenty from underlying core of the modified MK9 engine and is NOT a world of difference as you claim.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

"FUCK NO. Remember when alternate costumes used to be unlockable and fairly achievable by players who paid for the game? Now we have to fork over dough or face exploitative slot machine odds. Great."

I really don't want these kind of microtransaction crates to permeate every fucking game genre.

Trailer is hype tho.
These aren't just costumes though. They're move and ability modifiers.

Shit, even Injustice 1 hid a shitload of skins behind stuff like the mobile game

Demoskinos

Wonder if Ra's al Ghul is involved somehow. "Each time I enter the pit I emerge reborn" sort of sounds like a reference to the Lazrus pits.

Fantastic trailer. Not sure how I feel about gear-based fighting games but I'm open to seeing what NRS do.

Hopefully something like Battleborn's system of in game leveling decisions.

Battleborn's leveling system effects your character's speed, damage, movement, and skill cooldown. Things that the FGC would not be cool with in a fighting game.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
CGI trailers add nothing to knowing what a game will be like.

Alll this trailer is tell me "There will be an Injustice 2". Telling people this in a tweet with a handful of text characters costs far less than producing a trailer like this...

I mean not that I don't get gamers being jaded on CGI trailers. I did feel that way but I think I'm beginning to enjoy them again by not associating them with any expectations or going in to them with the mindset of "not this shit again".

I mean some of these CGI things are actually pretty cool things, that at least I can appreciate from the perspective of thinking about all the work that went into them.
That said sure there's also probably tons that are very generic and boring.

Also am I justified in hoping that one of these days that we're going to push companies to give credit to the studios creating these?
For now I just assume this one is made by Blur studios again.

LewieP

The PC version of Injustice came out later anyway, that was still bad but, yeah. However after MKX I wouldn't be surprised that it never happens.
Were they announced side by side, or did they not mention the PC version until after it came out on consoles?

Slayven

In the Injustice world they all take Kryptonian pills so they all have superhuman tolerance on par with Supes himself.

That's a fighting game based on comic books for ya'.

WOuld make more sense if they took some kind of Venom/Velocity 9/Gringold cocktail.

Why reveal such an unpleasant mess like this with a cg trailer? Nothing about the gameplay is being conveyed here. It looks like a Smash Bros. arena fighter or some mobile game with pay-to-win mechanics.

Byt is it a triple AAA game with pay-to-win mechanics?
I'm mad in the morning, my day can only get worse

Top Bottom